main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Revolution Is My Game: The Nintendo Wii Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 17, 2006.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just saw that myself- I've gone and started a new thread for any news regarding that console.

But, still- has it really already been 5 years?

Maybe it's just because I'm still playing launch titles ;).

3. Jedirockstar1138

Jedirockstar1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2011
    I just got a Wii less than two years ago and now another one is coming? Sheesh......well maybe this one will have more games, since all I use my Wii for is Rockband and Force Unleashed II. Anyone know of a decent Wii game that isn't Mario or family fun stuff? I'm 24 i need something more enjoyable than that.

4. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    ^ Metroid Prime Trilogy, if you can get hold of it.

5. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    If you never played it on Gamecube or PS2 check out the Wii version of Resident Evil 4.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For shooters, The Conduit is supposed to be pretty decent-to-good (sequel is coming out soon too). The GoldenEye remake is also out, as is Red STeel 2. Metroid Prime Trilogy is definitely worth it. orts of Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Black Ops are also available. Deadspace Extraction is another.

For fighters/brawlers, Tatsunoko vs Capcom is an exclusive, as is Mad World.

For non-Mario platformers, Epic Mickey. Of course it's difficult to mention good platformers without mentioning Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

Action-wise, there's No More Heroes 1 & 2. Okami is a Zelda-like. The Sin & Punishments also seem to get very positive reviews.

Puzzle/Adventure, Zack and Wiki, Trauma series

Sidescroller, Muramasa: The Demon Blade. (although Donkey Kong Country Returns & New Super Mario bros are worth noting in violation of your paramters, if only because they can be such bastards)

RPG, Tales of Symphonia 2.

SPorts, Punch-Out

7. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Go out and get yourself House of the Dead: Overkill. Like right now. You'll thank me later.

8. Jedirockstar1138

Jedirockstar1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2011
    I do have Donkey Kong and yeah, that bitch is hard...World 8 is near impossible. I'm still debating about Lego Clone Wars, but all good suggestions.

9. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    ^ Lego TCW is fun and more expansive.

Does anyone use the Nintendo Channel often? I think there might be some glitch in it. I have Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep and put in over 120 hrs into that game. In the Nintendo Channel to choose favourite titles, it does not register the title among my other games :confused: .

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Kirby Wii Trailer.

Looks like this is the Kirby version of NSMBWii and DKCR. Looks great!

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    UK getting a Wii redesign

Apparently it'll sit flat and remove GCN functionality. NOA has no current plans to release it in the US.

Given that GCN functionality was a great feature of the Wii (and one that will be missed in the Wii-U), this is disappointing (not to mention the issues it'll raise with GCN controllable-compatible titles), but hopefully it'll just stay as a weird variation exclusive.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think I read that they were also discontinuing the original Wii model in favor of this one? At least in Europe. Oh well, sad to hear they're yanking out GCN compatibility, funny enough reminds me of the PS3 dropping PS2 compatibility (yet it can still read PS1 discs). I hope NOA doesn't follow suit, but with how they're probably going to be gearing up for the Wii U soon (once Zelda is released, probably), and their lack of support for the Wii, not surprised they're cutting more costs.

Hm, wonder how much it'll cost, has a price been announced? Just curious as I'm almost debating about buying another new or used Wii to either mod to play European games (never bothered with it before, and wary of accidentally breaking my original Wii) or just buy a European Wii to get access to all those last Wii gems that NOA never bothered with (although the US dollar to euro/pound exchange rate is probably too much trouble to bother with, unfortunately).

13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So the only other difference besides the removal of GCN compatibility is that it's "designed to lay flat"? I've always had my Wii laying flat and I bought one at launch. It was hardly in need of a redesign. Sounds like a simple cost cutting move by Nintendo to me.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I believe they're removing the vertical orientation of the device, to match the Wii-U in aesthetics, presumably.

And, yeah, I could see how a Euro Wii might be worth it to get access to that last batch of games of NOA isn't releasing in the US.

15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So they're not including the grey rectangle stand thing? That's the only thing that made it stand up in the first place. I personally don't care because vertical orientation is bad for the system and it's discs (this goes for all consoles) but Nintendo shouldn't be selling this as an upgrade or a new model. They're just trying to disguise the fact that they're removing a feature from the Wii (the backwards compatibility). It's a pretty underhanded business practice if you ask me.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it depends- there might be other hardware mechanisms involved that permit the vertical orientation in terms of disc playback, so removing that and promoting a horizontal one (when the vertical orientation has clearly been the Wii setup of choice for almost all promotions and packaging) would make it more than just "we're not giving you a stand anymore".

However, I agree that this thing is a bad idea (but then, maybe it'll squeeze some low budget hardware sales for them to help offset other factors like 3DS losses or Wii U costs).

I think it clearly shows we can expect GCN DLC coming to the Wii U's VC, though.

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20093582-1/game-consoles-and-the-death-of-backward-compatibility-why-we-dont-care/

Or do we?

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I was really annoyed when the PS3 here had no backwards compatibility. I thought the backwards compatibility on the PS2 was a great feature.

I never used or wanted to use either. Was there huge complaints when the SNES couldn't play NES? When the 64 couldn't play SNES? This is a modern phenomenon.

If you want backwards compatibility just take up PC gaming. :p

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Very cool, though I'm curious as to why they included Luigi's Mansion. :p

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Star Fox fans may be amused if you type in "do a barrel roll" into google's main page, hehe.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IGN has a couple good articles up as a lead-up to the GCN's 10th Anniversary next week, looking back at the final days of the N64 and the days leading up to the GCN's launch, with comparisons to the state of events between then and current day as we go into the final days of the Wii and the months leading up to the Wii U's launch.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the GCN- here's to my favorite controller (for all non-fighting-except-for-Smash-Bros-games)!

It's kinda funny how well The Big N's systems age- they're often derided when current but then looked back upon in prestige as an example of what companies should be doing.

10 years ago it was "that thing with the handle is for kids, Nintendo needs to make another N64" now it's "that SD thing with waggle, Nintendo needs to make another Gamecube." 15 years ago it was "that console that uses carts...yeah, it has GoldenEye but it's really just for kids who want that Pokemon crap, Nintendo needs to make another SNES".

I wonder how people will look back at the Wii in 5-10 years; or if they even will be able to since it's legacy may just blur with the Wii-U.

24. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I think it's safe to say that the Wii is already there. I mean, say what you will about shovelware on the Wii, but the fact is that it's sold close to 90 million units. There's also the fact that they got Microsoft and Sony copying them with their own motion controls for their systems.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000