main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Revolution Is My Game: The Nintendo Wii Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 17, 2006.

1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    STAR FOX 64

YES

2. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    What is going to be so great about the Wii? It does not even play regular DVD's.

And what is up with the controller?

I loved the N64 better than the regular Playstation, but PS2 kicked Gamecube's arse.

I predict that PS3 is going to be the way to go. Although Xbox 360 will probably do better once they release their HD-DVD player.

3. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    Good to see metroid made it

4. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    Double post

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Who doesn't have a DVD player nowadays?

6. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    And if they don't, I think Nintendo realized that it's pretty safe to say that DVD players are dirt cheap now. No point since the average consumer probably has more then one DVD player in their household anyway.

7. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    I guess I just like the convenience of having everything consolidated into one system which is why my only disappointment with PS3 is the fact that it will not play HD-DVD's.

When I got my PS2 about 4 years ago, I fell in love with the fact that I had a gaming console and a DVD player in one item. Less clutter and less to hook up.

8. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    That PS3... wouldn't play HD-DVD....

That is a stupid thing to say and you're stupid for saying it

9. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    What?

I simply wish that it was made to play both Blueray and HD-DVD since each format has contracts with different movie companies. Only a certain number of movies come out in both formats.

You must have misunderstood my meaning.

10. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    No I didn't misunderstand at all.

I'm just wondering if you are completely and totally unaware of the actual point of putting HD or Blu ray in a console.

This just in from 1982, user complains his VHS can't play betamax.

11. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    The reason for my disappointment is that there was some information on some legitimate sites which led a lot of people astray thinking that the PS3 would be able to play both Blueray and HD-DVD formats.

Sorry. I guess I am baffled by your hostility just as you are apparently baffled by my stupidity.

12. DarkPrince

Nov 10, 2005
    ^Can we move that discussion to the Next-Gen thread or even the PS3 thread please?

Anyway, on other related news...

Reggie talks at Montreal Game Summit

EDIT: Found this interesting from the article

Wii Have A Goal

?The same audience expansion goal forms the strategic foundation for Wii,? Fils-Aime expanded, ?For us, changing the central dynamic of this industry isn?t just an option. It?s a mandate.?

Fils-Aime argued that the industry was too narrow in its vision, and described the concept behind the Wii. ?In any visual artform, typically, the eyes have it. What you see constitutes the greatest appeal. But games are different. They?re interactive, and that brings an equal force into the equation; a sense of touch. Our answer was a paradigm shift, from sight to touch.?

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What has people excited about the Wii is that, thanks to the controller (which is motion-sensitive within 3D space, like a 3D mouse [for all intents and purposes], has a speaker and is potentially expandable in a variety of ways via shells and attachments), the gmes will be offering new and unique gameplay experiences the other systems won't be able to offer- 360 and PS3 basicly offer the same games, minus a couple exclusives, and are essentially the same thing we've had for the current generation, just upgraded visually (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).

And, as has been already mentioned, there's not much point in tacking on another 50 bucks to the pricetag just to play DVD's when most hosueholds have 1 or 2 stand alone DVD players already- and, in most situations, a stand-alone player is generally better than a combo-player as far as quality and navigational options go.

14. DarkPrince

Nov 10, 2005
    http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7395

^ Nintendo Wii production line

Can't wait for the 19th!! :D

15. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I saw that clip, and now I'm gonna wait in front of the Target store that I work at to get whatever I need to get. I'll probably just get the Wiimote, TP and maybe RedSteel. Then when SSBB comes out, it's on!

I had to keep my tongue from falling out of my mouth watching that clip!=P~

16. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    I'm all set .It's just the wait

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    So who else is in the same boat I'm in and will have to fight off the crowds on launch day to try and get a Wii because they couldn't/didn't pre-order? I'm probably going to just go to the Best Buy near my house since there are no midnight sales near me that I know of. According to this article, they'll be opening at 9AM next Sunday. What time do you think I should be there to get in line?

18. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    Be there at 6 :p

19. Saper

Saper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2006
    So I'm hoping you all can persude me to get a Wii.

Heres my argument. I'm getting either a Wii or a 360. Personnaly I think a 360 will be better for me. I'm not crazy about the Wii's lineup. I'm looking for mainly shooters. What I'm looking forward too on 360 is.
    Fear, Halo 3, Halo Wars, Kotor 3, Gears of War.

I asked my friend to match that for me in Wii titles. He came up with Far Cry, Call of Duty. That was it. I'm not into Red Steel, no matter how cool it looks. And Metroid isn't going to do it for me either... at least I'm not going to buy it. Plus the only RTS for wii right now is still in development. However cool RTSes on wii might be, they dont have anywhere near a solid line of them, which I want. 360 has BFME2, which I play avidly on PC. And it'll have Halo Wars coming.

RPG wise, the only thing I really get into is KOTOR, so I'm not going to be looking for something on wii.

So CoD and FarCry will both be good, but I just generally think 360 had better titles for my interests.

My friend has argued alot of the games I want on 360 are on PC, or will be. However I dont want to wait 6 months for Kotor3, and I dont want to wait 6 years for Halo 3.

He argues Wii has free online. Well maybe, but what good is online when hes the only person I know whos getting it? I know Live is expensive, but is Wii online going to be so much better?

I don't know. I want Wii becuase it looks so cool, but I'm afraid it just wont be what I'm looking for. Anyone care to persaude me?

20. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Wii has Twilight Princess.

Winner!

21. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm concerned about Super Paper Mario. It was meant to be a Cube title, much like Zelda was but Zelda got transfered to Wii.

Now that was a logical move as Zelda has a lot of appeal, whereas Paper Mario, despite being an amazing RPG, does not have the wow factor that Zelda does to the general gamer. So really it should be a Cube game but may be a Wii only title instead.

Have any of you Americans got any idea of the situation?

22. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005

Get the wii now and enjoy red steel and prime 3 and then get a 360 when halo 3 is released

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Red Steel will be more or less the premeire shooter for the Wii, and Metroid Prime 3 will basicly be the benchmark for where the control style with the wiimote can go for future titles since it apparently has been refined beyond other titles control style.

But eliminate those two as you've apparently done, and there isn't much in the way of shooters just yet for the Wii. Far Cry and COD3 are about it- and COD3 won't be online for multiplayer like the 360 version is.

It's hard to say exactly how the Wii online connection service will compare to XBLive just yet, as it isn't out yet, and the launch titles won't have online multiplayer to peform direct comparisons, so it'll still be tricky even after it does come out.

It's appears, from what we know, that it won't be quite as elaborate/"hardcore" as XBL, but will be more elaborate and flexible than the DS's Friend Code system, though it is based upon that to some degree it seems.

The 2007 titles will be the better barometer for how the online services stack up against each other.

Shooters aside, the Wii has a lot of titles that I can't wiat to get my hands on- but whether or not my tastes coincide with yours, I can't say. Rayman looks hilarious and just plain crazy fun, Excite Trucks looks like a blast, Super Monkey Ball will be an awesome party game, Metal Slug Anthology will be a great old-skool style series, and all the hype around the DS Trauma Center has me intrigued about it's Wii upgrade, while cross-platform titles like Blazing Angels, Need For Speed & Marvel Ultimate Alliance are on my radar of interest as well. And though I'm having a hard time getting excited about it, all the talk about Elebits has me considering giving that a try as well. I also hate Dragonball Z, but if the control options are as crazy as I think they'll be, I'll probably at least rent that DBZ fighting game as well (and just the notion in general bodes well for the system if it's play control can get me inetrested in games I wouldn't like normally).

And, then of course, there's freaking Zelda. 70 soontir-damned hours of gameplay in a Zelda title? I'll be in a gaming comatose state for about a month. ;)

Ultimately, I'll be getting a 360 in addition to my Wii- but not for another year or two until after it gets a pricedrop, and by then all the soldi titles hitting the system between now and then will be at a lower price, so I can catch up cost-effeiciently ;)

24. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    I think somewhere It said that call of duty 3 on the wii would use the remote as the gun or something so if it's ture thens there one to buy if you like shooters

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that'd be the main reason for getting COD3 over the other versions- the controlling, if online multiplayer isn't that important to you.