main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Revolution Is My Game: The Nintendo Wii Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 17, 2006.

1. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I sat down and did the math today. With a little luck at Christmas, I can afford a Wii, Twilight Princess, an extra remote/nunchuck and a Wiipoints card.

There are times when I enjoy working part-time, and times when I hate it. This is one of the latter.

2. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    I'm going to wait outside my local Wal-Mart. I missed on pre-orders as I didn't expect to get one on launch, but now I can't wait.

Zelda is my only game besides Sports.

3. MasterValar

MasterValar Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2005
    also, i managed to discover that a Star Wars game will come out for the Wii.

4. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    You know I've completely forgotten about the wii but then I found this countdown callander in a nintendo magazine and looking at it, it dosn't seem that far away

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I dunno...three days is an awfully long time.

6. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    I got 3 weeks :p

7. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Over 2,000 Gamestops/EB in the US will be opening at midnight on Saturday for the Wii release. Here's the catch, you must have a valid preorder in order to pick it up.

From the Press Release from this morning:

"GameStop Corp. (NYSE:GME) (NYSE:GME.B), the world's largest video game and entertainment software retailer, announced today that it will host midnight launch events at over 2,000 of its U.S. GameStop and EB Games stores in celebration of the release of Nintendo's revolutionary new Wii video game console. At the stroke of midnight on the morning of Sunday, Nov. 19, 2006, customers who have reserved a system are guaranteed availability at their local store."

I like it. I'm glad I preordered from them. :p

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn, my Gamestop isn't one of them, oh well.

Some new tidbits from Nintendo World Report (formerly Planet Gamecube):

-New Virtual Console titles will be added every Monday following launch, with a goal of 30+ by year's end.
    -Forecast Channel launches Dec 20th, requires high-speed connection/
    -News Channel launches Jan 27th.

Also, it seems the Wii was originally planned to be a $100 console, but the addition of flash memory cards and a few other components rose the cost.

The wiimote tech itself wasn't finalized until this summer, though it could have been shown at E3 2005, they wanted to troubleshoot it first before unveiling it- other designs they went through included a cellphone-like wiimote, a DS-inspired touchpad interface controller (abandoned as it was felt it blurred the lines between consoles and handhelds too much) and a double-sided controller that had analog control on one side and digital on the other.

9. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Business Week Miyamoto Interview This story is nothing short of wonder on how the Big N went to the basics of gaming. This is why I will be faithful to Nintendo till I'm on my deathbed.

10. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    I need confermation about somthing: Is there demo wiis or any kind of a tour out in the UK at the moment?

11. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    despite the sad fact that I'm playing with a Canadian division.

Hey, now, the Germans actually feared the Canadians.

12. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Damn straight they did. Even in WWI the Germans knew who was boss on teh battlefield.

13. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Oh, they have good reason to fear us.

14. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    Anyone else feel a little ripped off since nintendo is releasing a a higher end version with DVD player in late 2007? Why they couldn't add it on before I don't know!?

Here's the article:

"Nintendo confirmed via a Q&A at its official website that it will release a higher end version of the Wii in the later half of 2007. The new model will offer DVD playback, but is not expected to see any other changes, external or internal. Nintendo expects the new model to cost more than the standard 25,000 yen Wii due to the costs associated with DVD licensing.

Based on Nintendo's statement, it seems that, in Japan at least, gamers will be able to select between two Wii system SKUs later next year.

Those who purchase the current model Wii hoping for a DVD upgrade in the future may be out of luck. Japan's Impress Watch tech site reports that Nintendo currently has no plans to make the current Wii model DVD ready, neither through software nor hardware. Previously, Nintendo had planned on selling an attachment that would give the Wii full DVD capabilities."

15. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I don't feel ripped off. I already have a DVD player.

16. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    Same. I would feel ripped off if it was a HD-DVD or a Blu-Ray player, but DVD has been out long enough for most of the gaming world to have one individually. It would be like releasing an N64 with a VHS player a year later.

17. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I couldn't care less if the Wii has a DVD player or not...I prefer to buy the consoles for the gaming.

18. JediStarKiller2

Apr 5, 2006
    One thing that does piss me off is the exclusion of voices in zelda. This is the year 2006 I prefer to experience a game, not read it. You would have thought Nintendo would be up to speed by now. I realize that back in teh day the cartridges didn't have enpugh memory for voices...now we can put voices in games.

I think it's time Nintendo get up to speed in the sound department.

19. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    I have a quick question:

The wii can acess the internet right?

If so whos going to be first to post here?

20. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I agree. I think that Link should remain a mute...but everyone he interacts with should have a voice.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm on the fence about voicework in Zelda. Cause if it's bad, it'll just ruin the game.

Plus there's a manner of consistancy of the series' style- it's not about technological limitations anymore, as they could have easily included voiceovers in OOT or MM (as Starfox 64 and Rogue Squadron had already foudn efficient means of storing a good deal of dialogue on a cart), or at the very least in TWW. To include it now would make it stand out, and be a little odd.

22. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    The charaters in zelda will actually speak?

I never knew that

23. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004

You have to buy extra equipment from Nintendo, I hear.

24. JediStarKiller2

Apr 5, 2006
    I don't think you need to buy extra equipment..where did you hear this?

The system is wi-fi so I assume all you would need is a high speed internet connection(which is the norm today) and a wireless router.

25. Saper

Saper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2006

The internet is not going to be available from startup, its going to be added on later, youll have to buy it with Wiipoints. Its going to use a modified version of the Opera internet service.