main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends REVOLUTION (NJO: Anakin Solo, Kyp Durron, Alema Rar, Others) Completed 9/24/03!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Aug 19, 2003.

1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 23

Most of the coralskippers were headed for the fields to try and extinguish the fires. Kyp wasn't sure, but he imagined if they focused their dovin basals on the flames they might be able to put out the fires by creating a vacuum.

The smoke was so thick that many coralskippers were crashing into the ground or each other. However, there were still more chasing Kyp and his group than he would have liked to see. Tesar and Kyp were now moving in a crowd of three hundred shamed ones and slaves for the western mountains.

Plasma projectiles were being launched by a pair of skips following the group, they were only a few minutes away from their destination, and Kyp was wondering if they would make it.

"Scatter everyone!" He yelled. At least that way each of the skips salvos would take out fewer beings.

The skips kept firing and Kyp was frantically searching for some way to stop them. He thought about trying to use the voids against themselves, the way he had a craft at Borleias, but he knew it would exhaust him for the rest of the battle.

Kyp spotted some large rocks lying in the sand and got an idea. He lifted one of the big boulders with the force and launched it at one of the skips pursuing them.

The skip was obviously not expecting an attack from a fleeing group on the ground, and had focused it's dovin basals on propulsion rather than protection. The mistake resulted in the skip being crushed by the rock and, subsequently, crashing into the ground.

The other skip slowed, determined not to make his wing mates mistake. Kyp lifted three smaller boulders and tossed them at the skip with his considerable force strength. All three vanished as the voids appeared, protecting the skip. Then two others hit the skip from the opposite side and sent it tumbling to the ground.

"Thanks, Tesar."

They kept moving; there were not a lot of large rocks in the wasteland, so they would probably be unable to repeat that trick until they reached the mountains. Hopefully then they wouldn't need to. Where is the Galactic Federation Fleet? They were already several hours behind Kyp's calculations, and now he was wondering if they got his transmission at all.

A ball of plasma crashed into a building behind them, but Alema didn't dare look back. The coralskippers had all ready killed over two dozen shamed ones and slaves moving with them through Cal'taer. This left only seventy members of their original group.

Luckily, because of the smoke, the skips had to fly low enough that they were slamming into the building or at least were forced to slow down.

She and Wrev took a right turn down the street along with the others that scrambled to avoid the skips fire. The skip however over negotiated the turn and plunged into the opposite building.

"Well, that's a small relief," Alema said, wiping sweat from her brow.

"It won't last," Wrev responded, breathing heavily. "There will be others; we have to keep moving."

"We could hide here," Alema suggested, gesturing to the buildings.

"What, and be sitting targets when the Yuuzhan Vong just decide to melt the whole city? No thanks."

The crowd pushed on and was nearing the western edge when Alema spotted an army of Yuuzhan Vong warriors charging at them from the opposite direction.

"Alema, take everyone and go around the other way," Wrev said and gestured towards the direction he intended. "I'll try and hold them off."

"No way. You couldn't possibly... I'm not leaving you," she answered flatly.

Wrev didn't argue. "Ruu," he called to the shamed one. He gave his orders and then Ruu took off, leading the shamed ones to a more southern exit, which would add another twenty minutes to their time. Alema supposed it was better than being killed.

The small army continued to charge towards the two Jedi and Alema knew they would have to hold the shamed ones escape route long enough to give them a shot. She didn't like the idea of sacrificing herself to save the shamed ones, but she really didn't want to leave Wrev. She had lost so many people who were close to her already, she couldn't let another friend die and she was protecting the non-Vong slaves as well.

Alema counted eighteen warriors in the approaching attack,not impossible, she supposed. They were Jedi Knights after all.

Then two more cadres appeared who an obstructing building, had hid, bringing the total to thirty. A little more bleak.

They reached the base and immediately began scaling the mountain. It was jagged and rough terrain, but not overly steep, which was good because Kyp doubted the slaves had the physical strength to climb a mountain.

He wondered where Alema and Wrev were. Had something happened to them? Kyp wanted to comm them, but he had to focus on getting his won group to safety first, he could do little for Alema and Wrev from here.

"Master Durron, in coming!" Tesar shouted.

"I see them." Five skips.

He could try lifting some of the loose rocks to throw at the skips again, but with so many this time, they were going to kill many shamed ones before he could destroy the skips.

The skips were close to firing range when Kyp heard the unmistakable sounds of missile launchers firing from above him and saw a dozen smoke trails of the fired projectiles.

The five skips exploded behind them, as there were too many missiles for their dovin basals to absorb.

"Hurry up, Jedi!" Kyp heard a familiar voice yell from above. He climbed the remaining meters to the cave entrance and was facing Strift Zonn and twenty-two others who had escaped the Yuuzhan Vong slavers. Her blonde hair was tucked under a small helmet, but there was no hiding her beauty when she grinned at him. Even if it was a you-owe-me-big-time grin.

"Thanks for the help Zonn," Kyp said.

"Yeah, just don't tell anybody. I don't want to be known among the other smugglers as the woman who saved Kyp Durron's life," Zonn said gruffly.

"Deal," Kyp agreed, and nodded thanks to the Rodian, Neget, as well.

Kyp felt a little shame. He had Zonn marked as a coward and pirate, when she turned out to be a fighter who saved his life. If he hadn't already felt guilty about chasing smugglers before, he did now. There wasn't much time for guilt though, he had to get the caves defending and find out what happened to Wrev and Alema.

Alema and Wrev hurled some of the debris lying in the streets at the first line of warriors and launched themselves into their enemies, lightsabers ignited. Alema's first strike sent a Yuuzhan Vong head away from his body, but it quickly became clear that there were to many. The pair was swallowed up in the storm and three warriors quickly passed them, headed down the path the escaping shamed ones had taken. Wrev disappeared after he used a force aided back flip and took off in pursuit of the trio, leaving Alema to hold off the rest.

Amphistaffs stabbed at Alema in every direction making it impossible to do anything but parry. Someone kicked her legs out from under her and Alema fell straight on her back. She ignored the pain and rolled away from the amphistaffs swinging at her.

Then she felt a boot fall hard on her left elbow and thought the arm broken. She was stuck and the warriors were brining their weapons to bear on her. She twisted swinging her saber to severe the leg holding her arm, a move that definitely broke her left, and quickly raised her saber to block an incoming blow.

Alema's desperation turned to anger. I'm going to die, she thought, but I'm going to take as many scarheads with me as possible. Alema blocked again and let her anger take over as she never had, but had wanted to for the last two years-- at least. She let herself hate them.

A flash of electricity burst from her hand passing through the bodies of those around her, three fell dead, smoking and blackened. The smell of the scorched flesh and blood was unbearable, but she had managed to stun the others around her and climbed to her feet.

She immediately began to feel guilty about what she had done. Nausea overtook her and she felt as though she would pass out. Alema had been on the edge for a long time, and finally surrendered, finally given in. What would her sister think of her? She was ashamed and sick. She had touched the Dark Side for the first time, and finally saw how ugly it was. How tainted and distorted it made her feel. Her insides seemed twisted and black, just a taste of the dark power was like a disease coursing through her system. She knew it wasn't the answer and even though the warriors were once again advancing on her, she vowed never to use that power again.

The warriors were now more apprehensive, but their numbers were still great. The amphistaffs were flying towards her and with her fatigue and her broken arm, she couldn't block them all. Alema was surprised by how much the dark energy had drained from her.

Blows landed on her thigh, hip, and collar, pushing her against the wall of a building. She kept blocking as many of them as she could, despite her profuse bleeding. The temptation to surrender to the darkness was great, but she would not do it. She was a Jedi Knight, and would rather die than join the dark side.

Then she saw Wrev running towards her, his lightsaber swinging. She wanted to scream with relief! She knew Wrev would save her. He cut through their enemies with stunning speed, completely on the offensive, working his way towards Alema. He slew four warriors and was only two more away from reaching her when an amphistaff caught him across the skull. The crack echoed through the street as a crimson spray peppered the air and Wrev fell limp to the ground.

Strift Zonn and her fellow criminals had brought a large cache of weapons to the caves and were now attempting to show the shamed ones how to use blasters. "You just point and pull the trigger," Zonn was saying to a group of shamed ones. Fortunately the former slaves in the group were as familiar with blasters as Strift and her cohorts.

Most of the different fields had been accounted for by the arrival of more shamed ones and free slaves, but two had not. One was reported to have been completely wiped out, and the other was Alema and Wrev's.

Kyp tried comming them but received no response.

"Where could they be?"

A chorus of animal like shrieks came from behind the crowd of warriors rushing to kill Alema. She couldn't see what it was until the warriors around her began to fall under the weight of tackling shamed ones.

They came back for us!

They had no real weapons, just their fists, rocks, and pieces of debris found through the broken city. The shamed ones were saving Alema's life and she could hardly believe it. She realized then that the Yuuzhan Vong were not evil. They were as capable of good as they were of bad. They were a product of their own evil culture, yet the shamed ones had managed to see past it and do the noble thing. In a society that embraces pain and death they came back to save her life.

She rose to her feet and helped them defeat the remaining warriors. The shamed ones had overwhelmed them with sheer numbers and killed the warriors with few losses to their own.

Alema ran to Wrev and knelt down to check on him. He was alive, but unconscious and the wound to his head looked serious.

She used what little healing ability and force strength she had left to do what she could for him. Alema was unable to close the wound, but slowed the bleeding and brought him back to consciousness by projecting an image in his mind that would wake any man.

He sat up holding his head as the blood dripped through his fingers. "What happened?" Wrev asked.

"You got hit in the head, Wrev. An amphistaff--" Alema said before he cut her off.

"I know that," Wrev cut in, almost smirking. "I mean, why are we alive?"

Alema pointed to the shamed ones who Wrev hadn't seemed to notice yet. "They came back for us."

Wrev nodded.

"Can you tell them... 'Thanks,' for me?" Alema asked.

Wrev smiled. "I'll tell them for both of us."

Ruu ran over looking concerned at Wrev's injuries.

“Your arm!” Wrev started fearfully, but Alema cut him off.

"It's nothing. I think it's broken, but it will heal. How are you?"

"I'm all right," Wrev assured. "I just need to seal the cut and we can get going," he said, squinting to keep the blood out of his eyes.

"Well, the path is clear now," Alema said. "Are you gong to answer that?" She asked referring to Wrev's comm beep.

"Oh man! I thought that sound was inside my head!" Wrev said as he reached for the comm.

Alema laughed nervously, hoping the injury wasn't as serious as it appeared.

Kyp’s voice came over the comm. “Where are you two? Everyone else is at the rendezvous."

"We got a little sidetracked," Wrev answered," we're just about to leave the west side of Cal'taer and head north towards you."

"Cal'taer? That's more than a little sidetracked," Kyp responded.

Alema grabbed the comm from Wrev so he and Ruu could apply a bacta patch to his head. "It's a long story, we'll be there soon, Master Durron," Alema said.

"You better hurry," Kyp replied, "because there are more coralskippers headed here every minute, and no sign of the alliance fleet."

2. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    ... a new reader who just happens to be one of my favorites on the board...

Aww, shucks! [face_blush] You made me blush!

I loved how Alema saw her mistake in using the dark side so quickly....she always struck me as a very pragmatic sort of person, so it seems very in character of her to decide that she was going to get over the mistake & never do it again. And the Shamed Ones coming back was perfect. I didn't see that coming at all....and I really should have. They are working so hard to turn away from their cultural training. Another fascinating post! :)

3. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Aww, shucks! You made me blush!

[face_mischief]

I loved how Alema saw her mistake in using the dark side so quickly....she always struck me as a very pragmatic sort of person, so it seems very in character of her to decide that she was going to get over the mistake & never do it again.

That's good to hear. I was afraid it would seem too fast and come off rushed and dumb.

Thanks again Tahirirsolofan! :)

And now for my favorite chapter.....

4. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 24

High Priest Jakan felt the bile in his stomach rise as the Jeedai turned to Hul Choka and declared himself "Anakin Solo." His worst fear was being realized-- the Solo had betrayed them as his brother had, and Shimrra's plan would back fire. If any of the shamed ones managed to escape the arena, the fire of heresy would grow stronger, perhaps so strong it would never be extinguished. When Shimrra learns of it, he might decide to execute everyone in the arena, including the warriors, in order to assure the news of Anakin Solo's resurrection does not spread.

He must be insane, Jakan thought. What hope did Anakin Solo have to escape this alive? He was surrounded by more than three hundred warriors and armed only with his infidel weapon. Why not pretend to go along with he ceremony and kill the sacrifices? They would not survive now, he couldn't possibly protect them. Unless he wants to be a martyr...

The warriors in the arena stayed standing in the audience though, clearly not understanding what was happening. Jakan wanted to scream at them, he wanted them to kill Anakin Solo and the suspected heretics, but he was paralyzed with fear. He had never seen one of the infidel Jeedai before and he didn't know what Anakin Solo was capable of.

Anakin stood face to face with Hul Choka. The warrior looked both confused and angered by Anakin's betrayal, rain streaming down his face and dripping off his horns. Anakin used the moments of confusion to open himself up to the force for the first time since Myrkr; the truth of the force, not his anger. He felt everything around him within the force; the electricity in the sky, the fear of the thirteen sacrifices, even, the Yuuzhan Vong; just as he had before his stand on Myrkr. He could feel them within the force.

Hul Choka screamed orders at the twenty-four warriors on the arena floor and they advanced on Anakin. They charged through the rain and mud at him as he re-ignited his fiery sword.

The first warrior attacked and Anakin completed a series of blocks effortlessly, as he would have a practice drone. Then he let loose with a spinning offensive attack that drove the warrior back a few steps but held strong. These warriors are good.

He scissor kicked the warrior's legs out from under him and drove his lightsaber down into his chest. Anakin was up in time to block two more blows from the onslaught.

He leapt in the air and kicked out with both legs, connecting with both warriors in the chest, knocking them down. With a quick spin, he caught another warrior across the throat, then reversed his grip on the weapon and stabbed straight backwards, catching a warrior in the stomach whom had attempted to strike him from behind.

Anakin shot a snap kick to the next warrior's head and pushed off using the momentum to drive his blade into another. He backhanded another warrior across the face with his gauntlet, knocking out his teeth and snapping his thick neck. The Jedi kept slashing and striking, his lightsaber creating a violet lightshow in the dark arena.

How long could he keep this up? The warrior's in the stands were starting to catch on, and were leaping from their seats onto the arena floor.

Anakin turned and shot a force shove to knock three approaching warriors to the ground hard. Then the blast and thud bugs began flying at him and he was forced back on the defensive, knocking them out of the air with blinding speed.

There were too many of them. He knew he would not escape alive, and it almost didn't matter. There was no death, only the force.

The intensity of the rain continued to increase as he swatted another thud bug out of the air. He realized that over a hundred warriors were approaching him from around the arena and he knew what he had to do.

Anakin recalled being with Mara on Dantooine and her teaching him a valuable lesson about the force, about only using it when you must. He remembered when he tried, being surprised at how powerful the force felt after not using it casually. It had been a long time now, and Anakin felt as though there was more force power inside of him than a body could contain, as he had on Myrkr. But, instead of leaving his body, as it had than, Anakin was soaking in it.

He reached out with the force and felt for the four huge statues of Yun-Yammka that surrounded the pit in the center of the arena floor. He waited until the spacing was perfect and Anakin pushed out with everything inside himself.

The heavy statues began to crack and tremble at their bases. He pushed harder. Anakin became a conduit for the force to pas through and focused so much he thought he might tear himself apart.

The mud provided give for the statues and finally the four snapped at their bases and tumbled away from the pit in all directions. The crash that followed was surprisingly loud, considering the soft mud and the screams that were silenced echoed in Anakin's mind. Dozens of Yuuzhan Vong bodies were broken under the heavy weight of their deity. Yuh-Yammka killed the warriors and buried them in the mud.

Anakin used the moment to reach into a dead warrior's pack and remove the button-shaped beetles that ate through blorash jelly. He tossed two handfuls at the would-be-sacrifices and turned to face the remaining enemies.

There were still more than two hundred warriors alive on the arena floor, blocking the eight exits, or in the stands. Could he defeat this many or had he run out of tricks? The force is my ally.

He raised his saber to block a pair of razor bugs then caught a stirring out of the corner of his eye. The hundred shamed ones and intendants that had been seated with the priests were now stabbing the priests with makeshift weapons, while others vaulted off the stands onto the arena floor. Some stayed in the stands to engage warriors there, while the shamed ones on the floor were running and creating a barrier to protect Anakin and the sacrifices.

He didn't have time to try and make any sense out of it, he was just grateful for any help he would receive. Anakin was now outnumbered two to one, which was a large improvement from only seconds before.

The Jedi continued to hack through his enemies with the aid of the shamed ones. The shamed Yuuzhan Vong were no match for the warriors however, and served as little more than distractions that took the warrior's focus off Anakin. They were weak and their small weapons, which must have been concealed under their loincloths, were of poor quality. However, the look in their eyes was one of complete, fanatical commitment. Not fanatical like the warriors, who sought to please the gods, this was different. There was hope in them. Not that they would survive, but hope that something greater would come of their deaths.

Anakin cut two more warriors down and was caught by surprise when a sharp pain shot through his right thigh dropping him to the ground. He fell into the mud and nearly lost the grip on his lightsaber.

When he looked up he saw the horrid visage of Hul Choka; the commander was still alive, but his profuse bleeding led Anakin to believe he must have been injured by the falling statues.

Before the commander could even raise his amphistaff for a killing blow, Anakin pushed him back with the force, sending him sprawling into the mud. Hul Choka was quickly buried under the weight of four shamed ones who were stabbing him with all their might. The brother of Warmaster Nas Choka was killed by shamed ones. A most dishonorable death for a warrior, Anakin thought.

The shamed ones numbers were thinning while the warriors were still holding strong. Anakin stood up and the pain in his thigh was enough to make fall again. He tried to stand once more and used the force to sooth himself enough to stay on his feet.

Anakin looked to his left. One of the exits was clear. It was now or never. The thirteen beings who were to be executed, were now free of the blorash jelly and huddled in the water filling the pit, trying to stay away from the fighting and fly thud bugs.

"Come! I'll protect you!" Anakin called to them while gesturing towards their escape.

Most of them leapt from the pit and began moving with Anakin towards the exit tunnel, but three did not-- the Nikto, the Quarren, and the little blonde girl. They were paralyzed with fear.

Anakin didn't want to do it, but he saw no alternative with little time before the shamed ones were dead and they had no escape. He projected in their minds a need to follow him and escape through the exit.

The three beings came running towards the rest and Anakin went back to running with them. He ran around the group swatting razor bugs away that were intended for the sacrifices. Several shamed ones were running beside his convoy, protecting him and the thirteen others.

As they approached the exit it was suddenly black with beings charging into the arena. For a moment, Anakin though it was more warriors coming in as reinforcements, but he didn't feel any danger in the force. It was more shamed ones, pouring in to all eight entrance tunnels.

They attacked the warriors in swarms. Some were using coufees instead of the small, makeshift blades that the others had.

Anakin wanted to take the sacrifices outside the arena but couldn’t because of the stream of shamed ones pouring in. A razor bug caught the Bith in the leg, sending him to the ground. Anakin did his best to recover and intercept some incoming thud bugs. Within minutes there were no more projectiles being hurled at the group.

Three hundred warriors lay dead on the arena floor and in the stands. Anakin had no clue how many shamed ones had been killed, but it looked like more than the warriors. The arena had been turned into a cemetery, with four crumbled statues of Yun-Yammka as decoration.

He wanted to ask why and how, this had happened, but he had to protect the prisoners. He had to get them to safety.

Helping the injured Bith to his feet, he lead the way out of the muddy arena as the rain continued to hammer down on them. As he left, Anakin Solo was followed by far more than thirteen beings.

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Shiver me timbers - another two posts! You are keeping up a cracking pace, me heartie.

I like your version of Kyp in this story. Like you, I find Kyp interesting. I think they could have made better use of him in the NJO. Alema's tussle with the Dark Side was very in-character. I liked the idea of the Shamed Ones coming back to save her - a satisfying bit of redemption there.

"Yeah, just don't tell anybody. I don't want to be known among the other smugglers as the woman who saved Kyp Durron's life," Zonn said gruffly. :D Echoes of Mara's line about Anakin in (was it) Balance Point.

Exciting fight scene - great detail. Clever old Anakin, bringing the building down. A bit of a Samson isn't he? Good to see him controlling the Force so well. Aha! a mysterious hanger-on has joined the thirteen. I wonder who. ;)

6. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    That was awesome! The Shamed Ones uprising has begun. It is so cool that the Shamed Ones are willing to give of themselves to see their Revolution happen. What a turn-about from the Vong's usual self-centered desire for personal glory! :D Anakin was in great form....Hero Boy returns! Yipee! The fact that it's not the Jedi alone that are making things happen is very "Star Wars-y"....reminds me of the unlikely sumgglers & gamblers become the heros too. (PS - if I could make one small suggestion, it would be to let us get to know a few of the Shamed Ones on an indivdual basis, instead of just a mass group.....but, you're probably planning on doing that already. :D )
    Can't wait to see what happens as Anakin figures out what's going on in the rest of the galaxy and he starts to meet up with his family & friends!

7. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    *applauds*

Woderful posts, Yodakenobi. I must agree, chapter 24 was your best yet. :D

I loved Alema's little Dark Side moment and how quickly she realised the wrongness of it.

Alema was unable to close the wound, but slowed the bleeding and brought him back to consciousness by projecting an image in his mind that would wake any man.

Hmmm... I wonder what that image was. [face_mischief]

And the Shamed Ones' uprising was amazing.

And yes, I do love the blue twi'leks. Especially blue twi'lek jedi who appear in AOTC. [face_love]

8. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Shiver me timbers - another two posts! You are keeping up a cracking pace, me heartie.

yeah, and with just two more chapters left, I should be done early next week. A full week ahead of TFP.

I like your version of Kyp in this story. Like you, I find Kyp interesting. I think they could have made better use of him in the NJO. Alema's tussle with the Dark Side was very in-character. I liked the idea of the Shamed Ones coming back to save her - a satisfying bit of redemption there.

thanks, I was afraid Kyp became to flat towards the end (which is why I made a change I can't talk about yet) and I'm glad Alema's sampling of the dark side didn't seem to dumb.

"Yeah, just don't tell anybody. I don't want to be known among the other smugglers as the woman who saved Kyp Durron's life," Zonn said gruffly. Echoes of Mara's line about Anakin in (was it) Balance Point.

I hadn't thought of that. I think it might have been onslaught though, I'll have to look it up now :p

Exciting fight scene - great detail. Clever old Anakin, bringing the building down. A bit of a Samson isn't he? Good to see him controlling the Force so well. Aha! a mysterious hanger-on has joined the thirteen. I wonder who.

After like 11 chapters of his psychological journet, I just wanted him to fight! What's a Samson?

Thanks again for readin Tahi :)

That was awesome! The Shamed Ones uprising has begun. It is so cool that the Shamed Ones are willing to give of themselves to see their Revolution happen. What a turn-about from the Vong's usual self-centered desire for personal glory! Anakin was in great form....Hero Boy returns! Yipee! The fact that it's not the Jedi alone that are making things happen is very "Star Wars-y"....reminds me of the unlikely sumgglers & gamblers become the heros too.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. :)

(PS - if I could make one small suggestion, it would be to let us get to know a few of the Shamed Ones on an indivdual basis, instead of just a mass group.....but, you're probably planning on doing that already. )

I completely agree with you. I think I got lost telling the "mass fighting" and forgot about the individuals. I had to kill the shamed one, Eiia, off early (can't say why)and in that part of the story we don't get anyones POV who speaks Yuuzhan Vong. In Anakin's part of the story he wasn't allowed to see any shamed ones yet, but that will come soon. There will be two prominant shamed ones in the sequel however and one will be introduced in the last chapter.

If anyone else has a criticism, please don't be afraid to post it. I promise you won't hurt my feelings or anything, and would really appreciate it :)

Thanks Tahirisolofan!

Can't wait to see what happens as Anakin figures out what's going on in the rest of the galaxy and he starts to meet up with his family & friends!

That will be awhile. I'm actually struggeling through the 2nd story (not even through chapter 2!). It will be really long though, and I won't bind myself to continuity :) (atleast not past Reunion ;) )

Woderful posts, Yodakenobi. I must agree, chapter 24 was your best yet.

Thanks Whitey!

Alema was unable to close the wound, but slowed the bleeding and brought him back to consciousness by projecting an image in his mind that would wake any man.

Hmmm... I wonder what that image was.

Just use your imagination....on second thought, use someone else's. We know you're in to sick things :p

And the Shamed Ones' uprising was amazing.

Thanks.

And yes, I do love the blue twi'leks. Especially blue twi'lek jedi who appear in AOTC.

Ahhh....Aayla Secura [face_mischief]

9. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    Nice posts, Yoda and I can see why that last one was your favorite.

I liked Anakin's recolection of his time with Mara. That was a good way to describe how powerful Anakin had become. While most people would think if you didn't practice a skill you would lose it, you proved that the longer you go without the Force the stronger you are.

That is probably why Dooku is nothing against Yoda wen they duel in AotC. Yoda hardly uses the Force and after that long, nothing could stop him.

Can't wait for the final two posts. There will be a sequel, right? And you can go slower since you don't have a deadline.

*When I went to my local bookstore I asked if they had TFP and they did. And I begged the girl to let me have the book early but she didn't budge. I even tried a few mind tricks but all she sid was laugh. Guess Anakin's tricks don't work or me.*:p

10. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    *When I went to my local bookstore I asked if they had TFP and they did. And I begged the girl to let me have the book early but she didn't budge. I even tried a few mind tricks but all she sid was laugh. Guess Anakin's tricks don't work or me.*:p

I WANT THE FINAL PROPHECY NOW!!!! :_|

11. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thanks _Jedi_of_Destiny_ :)

I liked Anakin's recolection of his time with Mara. That was a good way to describe how powerful Anakin had become. While most people would think if you didn't practice a skill you would lose it, you proved that the longer you go without the Force the stronger you are. That is probably why Dooku is nothing against Yoda wen they duel in AotC. Yoda hardly uses the Force and after that long, nothing could stop him.

Good thoughts ;)

Can't wait for the final two posts. There will be a sequel, right? And you can go slower since you don't have a deadline.

Yes, no self-imposed deadlines for the next one! sorry I've been posting so fast everyone, but I wanted to finished before TFP came out.
    The next one will be a lot longer.

I ordered mine from Bamm.com. Darth_guy says they alwasy ship them a week early. I just checked my order though and it still hasn't shipped :( hope I get mine early next week.

If you rob your bookstore JOD, send me a copy :)

12. Morgoth_The_Enemy

Morgoth_The_Enemy Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Excellent posts YodaKenobi, I like how you characterize Kyp, he doesnt seem like an arrogant fool in your story.

13. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I'm caught up!

Lovely, YK!!!!

Can't wait for more!

14. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Excellent posts YodaKenobi, I like how you characterize Kyp, he doesnt seem like an arrogant fool in your story.

[face_laugh] yeah, Kyp sure changed between darksaber and the NJO, didn't he? I think he's back on track now though and that's probably the only good thing about the second half of the NJO.

Thanks for reading Morgoth_The_Enemy and the_jedi_ambyr-rose.

15. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    YodaKenobi , as fast as you've been posting I expected to get here after the weekend & find myself several posts behind! [face_laugh] Not that I'm complaining....I'm enjoying this so much it's just as well that I get to find out quickly what's happening next! :D

16. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    YodaKenobi , as fast as you've been posting I expected to get here after the weekend & find myself several posts behind!

I know its been really fast. Thanks everyone for keeping up.

Not that I'm complaining....I'm enjoying this so much it's just as well that I get to find out quickly what's happening next!

Thank you Tahirisolofan, there won't be too much of a wait. Chapter 25 comes up today and 26 will be tues/wednesday. 26 is quite long so it will take awhile and I promise there will be some surprises in there :)

17. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 25

The warrior fell into a heap as Tesar fired an old imperial heavy repeater at him. The Barabel always seemed to be in his element when fighting, and Kyp knew that Barabel Jedi were in a constant conflict with their instincts against the Jedi code. A Jedi should not enjoy killing, but hunting was ingrained in their DNA; it was a shaky balance.

They had managed to hold their position in the mountains, but more warriors seemed to be finding their way towards them all the time. The coralskippers were still working hard to extinguish the fields, but one or two peeled away every quarter hour and made an attack on the cave. Luckily, they still had enough missiles to hold for several hours.

Kyp set the count on a thermal detonator and tossed it into a group of warriors making their way up the mountain. The explosion killed them in a bright flash, and Kyp felt the rock beneath him tremble from the force. Still, more kept coming.

Strift Zonn was cursing at Neget while firing her blaster. "Vaping scarheads armor is strong! Gotta' drain my blaster just to get through it!"

The Rodian said something in his own language that Kyp didn't hear over the explosions of battle. However, Kyp did speak Rodian; Rodians were notorious for being morally flexible, which lead a lot of them into careers as smugglers, thieves, and bounty hunters. Kyp picked up the language during his time hunting such smugglers.

Kyp didn't care much for the two smugglers, but they had been a great help in the battle, and he wouldn't forget that.

Over the top of a distant hill Kyp saw what he thought were more warriors headed their way. He took out his electrobinoculars as the battle continued around him. Kyp Durron smiled.

It was Alema and Wrev with about fifty slaves and shamed ones. They looked fairly banged up, but they had finally made it.

Kyp grabbed his comm, "Wrev; I can see you guys! Which way are you going to come in so we can lay down some cover fire?"

"Ummm... I think we'll just attack the warriors from behind, I don't see anyway around them." He paused for a moment and Kyp could hear Alema's voice. "Yeah, we'll just smash them between us, alright?"

"Copy," Kyp confirmed.

He yelled the orders to the shamed ones to his left who were fighting beside Tesar. They did not understand basic, but if he yelled loud enough and made hand gestures, they seemed to get the gist of it.

The shamed ones were not the most proficient beings to ever fire blasters, but they fought with an intensity that Kyp had only read about, or seen in holodramas. It reminded him of the stories he'd heard of the Rebels fighting the Empire.

Wrev had helped Alema rip her jacket and make a sling for her left arm, which was now useless, but the pain had subsided. After hours of hiking they were only meters away from heir original rendezvous point. She could see Kyp's homogenized group of resistance fighters firing down the side of a jagged mountain at climbing warriors. Alema was relieved that the climb would not be steep; the mountain's slope to the cave inside was gradual, and she could walk to it without using her arms.

"Wrev, ask the shamed ones if they are ready," Alema ordered.

Wrev turned to Ruu and spoke. "Yeah, he says their ready to go."

She screamed the order and they charged into the rear of the Vong warriors surrounding the mountain base.

Alema slashed and spun her blade to parry into the line of enemies. Despite her injuries, the fighting seemed easier; she had let go of her anger, she no longer hated them. Alema wasn't about to invite the Yuuzhan Vong over for stimcaf, but she wasn't going to let the hatred destroy her. She saw now first hand that they were capable of good, and she could never thank the shamed ones enough for that lesson.

Wrev's injuries did not appear to hinder him either as he used an upward, twisting slash to take an amphistaff away from a warrior-- as well as his hand at the wrist.

When talking to him Alema could tell Wrev's mind was a little foggy, but she didn't think he had any serious damage from the head wound.

The two Jedi, along with their allies, continued to work their way towards the mountain.

It didn't take long for the contingent of warriors to fall with the attacks coming from all sides. Kyp got his first good look at the two Jedi and realized they were in worse shape than they led on. Wrev had a large bandage on his forehead and seemed to be in a lot of pain. Alema had various stab wounds on her body, including a nasty one near her neck, and her left arm was in a sling. Though something seemed different about her now. Alema was... at peace; Jedi-like.

"What do we do now? The Galactic Federation still hasn't arrived, so should we hide in the caves?" Alema asked.

"I sent a couple of spacers down there earlier. The tunnels don't go far, whatever mining operation was here gave up pretty quick," Kyp answered.

"That's because it didn't take long to realize this planet doesn't have a solitary vapin' resource," Strift Zonn added.

Kyp sighed, "anyway, since the Vong already know we're hiding here, I don't see much of a point in huddling into the tunnels. Besides," Kyp continued," this rock formation makes a nice natural bunker." He gestured to the rising cleft in the mountain.

"We should still move the injured down there," Alema suggested.

"This one agrees," Tesar added.

"Yeah, Wrev?" Kyp asked, "Why don't you escort them down to the tunnel and stay there yourself."

"That won't be necessary, I'll be alright," Wrev insisted. "But, I'll have Ruu escort them."

Several small battles past and soon it was the dark of night, but Kyp could still make out the rolling smoke in the distance as well as the swarms of coralskippers flying through it. An hour had gone since any of the skips had broken off and attacked them, and Kyp was hoping the coralskippers had lost track of where they were.

The resistance was down to only five missiles, which was their only real defense against the rock shaped fighters; when they were lucky it only took three missiles to destroy a single skip.

"Where are your friends, Jedi?" Strift asked. The wind swept her blonde hair around as she had taken her helmet off.

"I don't know," Kyp admitted. Had Sien Sovv gotten his message? What could be taking this long?

Perhaps something more urgent happened and the fleet was sent elsewhere. If they didn't show up soon, Kyp knew they would not survive. Soon the coralskippers would give up on salvaging their crop and come for the vandals. Kyp was running out of time and ideas.

As if on queue, five coralskippers appeared through the rolling smoke, heading towards their bunker.

Alema, who had been dozing, was now at full attention. "Ready those missiles," she ordered Strift, Neget, and three other pirates.

Kyp thought he might try to use the force to throw large stones at the skips again, but he could not find any that were loose enough to tear away from the mountain.

"Fire!" Alema yelled, and they lost the last five missiles.

From the explosions that followed, four of the skips emerged unscathed. They had only managed to destroy one, and the skips began to fire their molten lava at the bunker. A salvo hit dead on to Kyp’s left; killing a dozen shamed ones and two former slaves. The other three hit rocks above and below the bunkers, sending large stones down onto the others.

Wrev and Tesar were fast to respond, reaching out with the force to grab as many of the falling rocks as they could before any more beings were crushed.

Kyp and Alema joined them and then, as the coralskippers were headed away to make another pass, they threw the boulders at a skip. The skip slowed so it's dovin basals could use voids as protection and intercept the stones rather than accelerate. There were far too many, however. The skip crashed into the darkness with a loud "Thud."

Three left

The three other Jedi were moving debris and helping survivors as Kyp reached into a bag of thermal detonators. He lifted a dozen of the detonators with the force and activated them.

As the skips were returning for their second shot at the resistance, Kyp launched the detonators. It wasn’t unlike the shadow bombs he used in his X-Wing, but keeping track of twelve different explosive devices and making sure none detonated prematurely, was taxing his force strength.

The thermal detonators exploded and took two of the skips in a fiery cry while the last skip was pushed out of its attack by the explosive force.

The final skip came back and Kyp pulled out the last four detonators. He didn't think about what they would do after they ran out of detonators-- they had to be alive to handle that problem.

He began to lift them with the force and before he could activate them the skip exploded.

"What?" Kyp squeaked.

He saw three more shapes coming through the smoke and thought they might be skips, but then he knew why the last skip had exploded.

The approaching ships were X-wings. The fleet had arrived.

18. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    So sad, only one chapter left :_|

19. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    At last the calvary arrives! :D

Did you say only one more chapter? :( Are you planning a sequel after TFP is out?

I've always wondered why Kyp has been so hard on the smugglers, when he looks up to Han so much. :confused: I like the way he is maturing here.

20. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003

Did you say only one more chapter? Are you planning a sequel after TFP is out?

Yup, It will probably be awhile, but I'm trying. I just have a bad case of writer's block in some places :(

I've always wondered why Kyp has been so hard on the smugglers, when he looks up to Han so much. I like the way he is maturing here.

Me too. I've never understood what changed about Kyp from the Bantam books to the NJO. Since you bring it up though, I have Kyp and Han paired up on a mission together for a large portion of my next fic ;)

21. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    You know it's not nice to tease.... 8-}
    first you say it's going to be awhile before we get anymore, then you start telling me things I want to know more about! What are you trying to do to me?!?

22. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    You know it's not nice to tease....
    first you say it's going to be awhile before we get anymore, then you start telling me things I want to know more about! What are you trying to do to me?!?

Always leave your audience wanting more ;) If I told you what I had planned, I'd have to kill you :p

23. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    chapter 26 is coming today or tomorrow. It's more than twice the length of the last chapter so it will take me awhile.

24. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    Cool. I'm happy the end is coming but it is a sad day, indeed. :p I'm really glad theirs a sequel. Nice job on the next to the last post. :)

25. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Oh, good, a sequel! I kept telling myself how it was nice that I could read nearly all this fic in one chunk, but I almost wish I could've had updates to look forward to every couple days :)

I absolutely love it! You have all the characters down perfectly, even the less developed ones like Alema and Tesar, and your depiction of an older Kyp is nigh one of the best I've ever read. The action scenes are marvelously descriptive, and it made me feel like I was watching a movie the whole time; I could imagine everything in my head. The whole way you explained Anakin's survival of Myrkr was very logical and thought-out, which as I pro-returner, I can definitely appreciate 8-} Overall fantasic, and I hope that you continue writing fan fics beyond this and it's sequel :) I look forward to the last chapter very much :D