main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rewrite the opening crawl (if you need to)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sworrubsnz, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sworrubsnz

sworrubsnz Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    While I actually quite like the 'dropping us right in the middle of it' approach I don't think this should be at the expense of clarity. For instance despite hanging off every word of the movie (or so I thought) it was only afterwards that I realised the gravity of the planets that were destroyed.
    Something about the opening crawl felt off to me: "LEIA really wants to find LUKE! Oh and there's some new bad guys" In hindsight I wonder if it could've helped us out a bit more?

With that in mind i thought we could have our own goes at it (ah go on, might be cathartic!). Here's mine:

Peace eludes the NEW REPUBLIC. Seeking to succeed where the empire failed, the sinister FIRST ORDER has begun rippling fear through the Galaxy again.

While the senate debates diplomacy on Hosnian Prime, they have sent a group of RESISTANCE fighters, led by GENERAL LEIA ORGANA, to repel emerging advances from the outer rim.

On the planet Jakku, both sides hunt for clues to a key piece of their plans: The whereabouts of the galaxy's last Jedi, Luke Skywalker....

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  3. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    I have a bad feeling about this...

CnlSandersdeKFC and solo77 like this.
  4. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Nah.

The opening crawl is perfect. Tells us everything we need to know while still preserving some mystery.

5. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    The action-oriented crawls work so much better. The politics are better revealed through the story than dull exposition. That's the main problem most fans have with the prequels. Show, don't tell.

6. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I would changed "the REPUBLIC" to "the NEW REPUBLIC" to minimise confusion for casual fans, and to affirm that the Rebel Alliance did succeed in restoring democracy and building a New Republic. Otherwise, perfect opening crawl. My second favourite, after ROTS (yes I have favourite opening crawls, who around here doesn't :p)

7. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    This should satisfy everyone.

It is a time of Bureaucracy! The New Republic debates endlessly, as the First Order rises on the Outer Rim.

On Hosain Prime, Supreme Chancellor Flargas Vartas gives an impassioned speech about the dangers of the First Order.

Meanwhile, Han Solo has teamed up with a group of new heroes working for the Resitance to stop the First Order's deadly weapon, The Starkiller Base. '

Pan down to Hosain Prime, Flargas Vartas gives impassioned speech. The rest of the movie plays out like 12 Angry Men as a Security Council of Senators, including Leia Organa trying to convince everyone that the First Order needs to be stopped, up until the FO destroys Hosain. Then the rest of the movie plays out pretty much the same, except that instead of Han dying Kylo more or less just twiddles his thumps and makes even more snide remarks. The End.

Fruit Pastilles likes this.
  8. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Don't forget to add trade negotiations and dellow felegates :p

9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Can anyone post the opening crawl? I missed the last part. I always had a tough time with those due to a disability.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Here it is (the only thing I would change is the third paragraph. I don't like the wording of it.)

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
    In his absence, the sinister
    FIRST ORDER has risen
    from the ashes of the Empire
    and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi,
    has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC,
    General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE.
    She is desperate to find her
    brother Luke and gain his
    help in restoring peace and
    justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring
    pilot on a secret mission
    to Jakku, where an old ally
    has discovered a clue to
    Luke’s whereabouts . . . .

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Aw, sweet! Thanks man!

12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Too much use of capitalization. & there are no subject pronouns in Star Wars...

Darth-Seldon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.