main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rewriting the originals

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Apr 4, 2014.

1. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Its like they went too far in one direction. Cutting out all the emotion, family, love and attachment because they didn't trust themselves enough. Jedi should be strong enough to accept their emotions and go beyond, refusing the temptation of the Dark Side.

I just wonder where the ideas for the PT Jedi came from. The early Star Wars drafts had Jedi having kids and nothing was thought of it.

2. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    In the spirit of the thread:
    - ANH -
    * Introduce Luke and Leia simultaneously via intercutting the Tantive IV scenes with scenes on Tatooine
    * Explain why Vader is willing to be somewhat subordinate to Tarkin
    * Show Palpatine relaying the news about the Senate's dissolution to Tarkin
    * Introduce Mon Mothma as the one who greets Leia when the Falcon arrives on Yavin IV
    * Identify more members of Red Squadron by name
    * Use Admiral Ackbar as the one in charge of explaining the assault on the Death Star

- TESB -
    * Drop the multiple bounty hunters and just use Boba Fett
    * Show Vader making his deal with Fett
    * Use Mon Mothma and Admiral Ackbar as the garrison commanders on Hoth
    * Bring previously-introduced Red Squadron characters back as members of Rogue Squadron
    * Spread out the development of Leia and Han's relationship a bit more

- RotJ -
    * Use previously-introduced Rogue Squadron characters as support for the assault on the second Death Star
    * Use PT-Era characters as Palpatine's entourage
    * Show Luke constructing his new Lightsaber

Paparazzo and Gamiel like this.
  3. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    SW: Porkins doesn't get killed.
    ESB: Show what happened to Luke's X-Wing ladder.
    ROTJ: Leia is NOT Luke's sister.

4. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    ANH: Minus the Jabba hanger scene.
    ESB: More Yoda scenes.
    ROTJ: Not have Boba Fett die or at least have a better death.

5. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I think one thing I would change about going back to ANH is that instead of Luke being raised on Tatooine by his father's vaguely known step-brother, would have been just to have Obi-Wan take Luke somewhere out in the far distant galaxy and train him from early youth in the ways of the Jedi. He could even have been raised on Degobah with Yoda to complete his training, learn of his true parentage in a less traumatic way, and be more prepared as a Jedi to strike down his own father if necessary in battle. Leia could have been raised there as well.

Obi-Wan and Yoda could have done much more to save the surviving Jedi than just hiding from the Empire and possibly defeated the Sith sooner had they done so.

6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ That 'one thing' change would completey change the whole 3 movies

Revious Nugo and Sarge like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Give up the father revelation? Never!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    If I could make changes I would have Vader cut Sidious in half(ala Darth Maul) in ROTJ and then force push him into the DS reactor. I would also have the rebel commandos on Endor be more prominent than just background scenery. I would also like to see General Madine part of the commando team as a co commander with Solo. I would also love to see more imperial ground forces in the battle of Hoth. Meaning more ground troopers in action on the front lines.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I would have left Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back as is.

I then would have cut the story of ROTJ in two and expanded them into two films.

So four films.

Jedi with a TARDIS likes this.
  10. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Really, I feel that the OOT of ANH and ESB are perfect. ROTJ does still have a few issues though.

• A lot more passion and communication of roles is needed in the conversation between Luke and Leia, and then later between Leia and Han. I don't know why, but Harrison and Carrie were just not into it that day. And Mark's lines were awful.
    • A more coherent plan is needed for Jabba's palace.
    • Vader shouldn't be more "bad ass" but he should be less dependent on and subservient to the Emperor throughout the film. It makes him change dynamics almost too much for his own good (as a character).

11. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    My changes:

ANH

1. Speed up the Threepio and Artoo walking through Tatooine desert scenes in ANH.
    2. Han shoots first (as he originally did)
    3. Chewie gets his medal

ESB

Nothing

ROTJ

1. Add the scene of Luke assembling his saber into the movie
    2. get rid of the SE Jabba's Palace musical scene
    3. Have Han's eyesight return in his cell so he can actively participate in the Skiff battle (and going one on one with Boba)
    4. Wookiee like creatures fighting alongside the Ewoks
    5. Focus more on the Rebel ground troops

Darth__Lobot and whostheBossk like this.
  12. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    NO Ewoks. NO 2nd Death Star. NO Jabba's palace. More than 3 movies, maybe a series instead. Vader's turn away from the dark side slower. Luke and Vader meet more than once. Their relationship builds slowly. Leia is not Luke's sister. Luke is an only child. Stormtroopers are threatening. A darker story with light at the end. Anger is Not portrayed as bad all the time. Maybe have Luke have a harsher childhood. No blue elephants. More lightsaber fights. Luke does not whine. Less RD-D2/C3-PO or Not in there at all. Leia shows more emotion at the destruction of her home world. Maybe have Luke get captured by Vader and endure a lot more hardship. No Leia Cinnabuns or slave outfit. Luke is not a farm boy.

Star Wars would be more mature as in its more of a serious story and with complex characters.

The first two in the OT don't have a lot of stuff that bother me. ESB is my favorite, but ROTJ would be changed so much its not even close to being the same. It was a poor sequel to a darker film. Teddy bears? seriously? Blue elephant playing instrument in Jabba's palace.? lol. A second death star seem to lack some imagination. A DS had already been done before. The Jabba's palace dragged on too long and was dull. Jabba doesn't seem sinister at all.

Maybe borrow elements of SOTE. Prince Xizor trying to kill Luke but Vader intervenes.

13. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    As with most people, I would rewrite Return of the Jedi. As much as I love the movie, it could have been so much more. Eliminate the second Death Star right off that bat and have the final showdown be the rebels taking Coruscant. The Emperor created a trap which the rebels believe gives them an opening, but it ends up the same way. Don't make Luke and Leia siblings. Have that "other" that Yoda referenced in Empire be an original character. Or on the other hand, if the other IS Leia, have them both confront Vader like in ROTJ Infinities.

I think all the Jabba stuff is fine as is. It really gave some cool criminal underworld stories in the EU, so no real gripes there. And again as much as I love the Ewoks, replace them with Wookiees. In my version, it would basically be the rebel strike team led by Han and Chewie freeing an entire battalion of Wookiee prisoners on Coruscant who were awaiting execution or delivery to slavers. This gives them the power they need to take Imperial Center.

It would be cool to see Lando use his connections in the underworld to persuade smugglers to aid the rebel fleet against the Imperial fleet above Coruscant. (I stole the idea from the Thrawn trilogy, I know.)

And I would like to see a Vader/Emperor lightsaber duel and it ends the same way as in the movie. This would probably be about a four hour flick though...

14. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

To be fair they literally brought back 100% of surviving Red Squadron members in ESB.

Jedi Princess and Sarge like this.
  15. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    In my opinion the originals don't need to be rewritten because they are the Holy Trinity of cinema...this thread is Blasphemy!!! LOL.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - Give Chewie a medal

- Replace Endor with Coruscant and replace the second Death Star with the Imperial Palace

17. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    ^that might be really involved. I think a simpler planet-swap (and a PT tie-in I wouldn't mind) would be to replace Alderaan with Naboo.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was (and will continue to be) talking about how things should have been done in the first place, not what changes they should have made in the Special Editions.

Anyway, I would have made Luke's real name Luke Vader instead of making Vader's real name Anakin Skywalker. That way there's no issue as to how Vade being Anakin was covered up.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  19. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I like ObiAlKenobi's take on the changes above. This is the originals we are talking about so I am not in for any big changes (see PT for that and my take). As for the SE, just revert back to Han shot first and less kiddy stuff in ROTJ. The biggest change I think is just having Leia and Luke share a relation as "force sensitive" or cousins instead of bro and sis. I don't mind the SE changes either for the first two films. As for ROTJ, have Ewoks be more fierce and warriors while combining their forces with the Rebel Commando's and show more action against the Empire.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The only thing I would change is the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi, I would exchange them for Wookies. I wanted to see more of Chewbacca's culture and homeworld. And I think they would have worked just as well for the kiddie set too.

21. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I would have never made Leia a political leader of the Rebellion. I would have made her a member of the Rebel Alliance military or a spy. Especially the latter.

22. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I do not buy the ewoks were just to sell toys Belief. The making of rotj book goes into the this issue and basically says it was easier to get shorter people who could act at that time then say hiring the lakers and the clippers. also it allowed them to give another role to people who had worked on the other films like kenny baker and jack purvis. Lucas really liked working with people of smaller stature. Jawas, ugnaughts, the chadra fan in the cantina, willow and his people in willow.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A New Hope
    - I would have the interior of 'Tantive IV' be a bit fancier: she is owned by the Royal House of Alderaan and has been the personal transporter of at least two of the planets galactic senators. You would think that her walls would have at least some decorations and paintings instead of just having the standard out from the shipyard white.
    - I would also change the interior of 'Millennium Falcon' so she would look more like a home. Some kind of paintings, pinups and posters; a trophy and weapon rack for Chowie; the equivalence of a pair of Fuzzy dice hanging from the cockpits ceiling, etc.
    - Luke would have a sun-tan and wear a hat for all the outdoor scenes on Tatooine
    - Obi-Wan would also be tanned
    - Ben's hut would be filled with books and all manner of things that Obi-Wan have collected or been given through the years.
    - I would have added a humanoid duck among the cantina patrons
    - There would be at least one woman among the not-faceless imperials
    - The Rebels would be made of 50% non-humans and have more women and non-whites
    - In the triumph end sequence I would have Han better dressed and Chowie would also get his medal

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I know that he had a pair of dangling dice in the EU, at least.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The could add they duck one, Howard the duck is a marvel and therefore disney property, he could tie star wars into the MCU.

In like bens hutt spartan though, fits the jedi way, no possessions and all that.