main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rewriting the originals

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Apr 4, 2014.

1. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Obi-Wan would literally have to raise Luke without the benefit of the Order and in the wilds of Tatooine. I just don't see that happening, especially with an infant Luke.

However, I would have made Leia a military officer or an intelligence operative. I don't think Lucas handled her role as a political leader very well.

2. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    I think people coming from the Prequels would be surprised not to see the Emperor in ANH. So yeah, put him in abolishing the Senate.

3. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I suppose there really isn't anything I'd change. But for the sake of the topic, I'll say a fairly inane,trivial change I'd have done: Get rid of the character of Oola. I never really liked her. As a kid, it was kinda depressing that she's this powerless slave that gets mistreated by Jabba and becomes Rancor chow.

Then have Leia do the dance number and move it up to just before Luke shows up or maybe the sail barge. It would give her something to do beyond sitting there for 15 minutes. Perhaps they didn't want to put the added pressure on Fisher to learn a dance number. But I figure Leia as a Princess from a peaceful planet must've studied the arts-dance and so forth. She probably could've manged something tasteful.

Eh, just thinking out loud....

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That's the point of the scene. Foreshadow the Rancor.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
  6. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    There could always be some sort of HoloNet footage added of the Emperor abolishing this and explaining away the destruction of Alderaan also.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015
    I have a vision bursting into mind...

Emperor; "Lord Vader what shall we say of the destruction of Alderaan?"
    Darth Vader; "hmm...A wizard did it?"
    Emperor; sigh "no"
    Darth Vader; "Jar Jar?"
    Emperor; "tempting, but no try as I might I can't quite get from 'idiot' to 'wholesale planetary destruction'"
    Darth Vader; "Well we could try the rebels ha ha ha!"
    Emperor; "That's IT!"
    Darth Vader; "I was kidding"
    Emperor transmitting to all citizens; "...the rebels did it!"
    Darth Vader; sighs

8. Joker the Master

Joker the Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2015
    I would give the Emperor more appearance in the first 2 movies, with a lightsaber. The OT would be much better than it already is with the Emperor appeared more.

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I can see why you would think that. I feel sorry for Oola, and the scene is definitely disturbing. But it shows us something about Jabba. It explains how repulsive and abhorrent he is. It also lends weight to the moment when Leia teaches him a lesson by killing him. Jabba is a mass murderer of not only criminals but his own slaves and friends. He doesn't care. He would kill anyone in his palace either for his own entertainment or if he deemed it necessary. He's a crime lord, and it shows part of the dark underbelly of the galaxy. Let's not forget that Palpatine and the Empire allow Jabba to operate. They don't care. They are racist against aliens and they really don't give a rat's posterior if alien crime lords like Jabba hurt people. It helps Palpatine with his grand "divide and conquer" and "alien-vs-human" dynamic. Anyhow, I do like it when Leia uses her strength and the Force to kill Jabba. I think it's great. But I can see what you mean. I don't dislike Oola per se. I feel sorry for her, since she's a victim of sex trafficking and abuse, but I can also understand the complaints that Lucas was using Oola as an excuse to get eye candy for the male (and non-straight female) crowd. Star Wars does that a lot, but it's too late for us to change that at this point. We've had a ton of women dressed in risque clothes in the EU, but I can say that us girls do often dress like that in real life, and many of my female friends often do. Lol. What can ya say? Lol. I mean, I do it.

If I were to rewrite the OT, I wouldn't change a thing except for the whole Jabba sequence. I would introduce Jabba and his methods first earlier in the story. I would also make Luke, Lando, and Leia all enter together. Perhaps I would keep the idea of Jabba being fooled to keep the droids first before everyone came in. Really, the only major flaw in the OT is that whole sequence between Vader threatening Moff Jerrjerrod (or whoever you spell the coward's name) and the point where Luke has rescued everyone. But you gotta admit one thing about that sequence. It was awesome for us to see Luke destroy all of Jabba's thugs with little help and it was even more awesome to see Leia kill Jabba. The main problem with the sequence is Boba Fett's death. Boba should have been harder to take down, and if I were to rewrite anything about the OT at all, I would show Luke kicking his butt and forcing him into the Sarlacc. I would like the idea of Boba Fett being shown to escape perhaps later on, if not a year later. Um...I like Leia, but I would give her more lines and insight into her motivations in TESB and ROTJ. She gets a lot to do in ANH, but we need to hear more about how losing Alderaan affected her and we need to hear more about how she truly feels about Han and Luke. That's just me, though. I love her character and dialogue even without that. She's funny, powerful, and smart. I wouldn't change anything about Luke's overall arc. It's amazing and his story is one for the ages.

whostheBossk and Paparazzo like this.
  10. Joker the Master

Jul 21, 2015
    First movie: Some Emperor scenes.
    Second movie: More Emperor scenes (I still love his hologram scene).
    Last movie: Good.
    The Emperor is a recurring character in Star Wars, and my favourite villain. He should be appeared more. The only thing that the OT did wrong is they don't show him in the first 2 movies.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Joker the Master

Jul 21, 2015
    I think he's just a side character. Why do you think that he should appeared more?

12. Afro1256

Afro1256 Jedi Knight

Mar 21, 2015
    I would clean up the light sabre duels in all the movies. While the ESB has a good fight I feel the other fuels looked more like toddlers swinging sticks. When Luke is on Jabbas sail barge I'd be want him to be fighting far less wildly.

I'd make the Stormtroopers appear more dangerous and replace the Ewoks.

In Jabba the Hutt scenes Id make his guards seem a bit scarier. They can still be untrained brutes, but at least make them look scarier. Boba Fett is a problem, if he doesn't get taken out in such a stupid way then someone on the good side has to die to show how tough he is. I would have leia more involved as well, it's difficult to give her more to do when she is chained to Jabba but I felt she would of said more.

Finally I'd of made Han a bit more dangerous, I know he is an ex imperial pilot but I'd of liked him to of being like an ex-special forces pilot/soldier.

13. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm am reading the Skywalker Strikes series of comics and am annoyed that Obi-Wan even gave Luke over to Owen and Beru to be raised instead of doing it himself. The idea that Vader would not return to where his mother died and was buried isn't that convincing to me, especially because he goes there in the comics to find who Luke is.

Why doesn't he just take him and raise him himself to be trained as a Jedi? Imagine if Luke had been more trained by the time the Death Star was destroyed.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008
    Where do I begin?
    ANH:
    I'd make Luke less dorky and do away with that silly white outfit. Omit any lines that suggest Luke is attracted to Leia. Tidy up the any scene in which a lightsabre appears and make the duel more convincing. Data tapes? No. Just no. Make Han a bit more ruthless. Give Chewie a medal, too. Oh, and change the "1970s in Space" aesthetic, including the hairdos. For some reason, they really stand out. Have Obi-Wan address Darth Vader as "Vader" rather than "Darth". Mention the name Anakin Skywalker from the get-go instead of simply referring to him as Luke's father.

15. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    I would start the whole trilogy with Obi-Wan having taken Luke to another remote planet where he cannot be detected by a Sith and training him from an early age to be a Jedi. Yoda takes Leia to Degobah and does the same with her instead of leaving her on Alderaan with Bail Organa. Someone else can fight the Empire for him.

They may not tell the twins about one another. Bail still comes looking for Obi-Wan when his mission to get the Death Star plans to Alderaan fails. The two Jedi leave to find the battle station, are able to both avoid detection, disable the shield, rescue the passenger, and escape successfully to a place which did not attract the Empire to the hidden Rebel base. They can transmit the battle station plans from there.

The Rebel fleet then can find the Death Star in orbit somewhere, attack it in surprise, and exploits weakness then. The Rebel base on Yavin IV in not compromised in the process.

The Skywalker twins are correctly reunited on Degobah to be fully trained and knighted. Then together Obi-Wan and the twins can confront Vader and kill him with their combined strength. The same can eventually be done with the Emperor.

16. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I would start the Original Trilogy with Luke encased in carbonite as a baby and Leia raised by Wampas on Hoth. Yoda is keeping an eye on Leia from his icy igloo when Bail Organa comes to Hoth, pursued by the Emperor himself, to hide the Death Star 2 plans. (The first Death Star has just been destroyed by a Bothan/Walrus Man alliance.) Snowtroopers burn Bail alive with flame-throwers and blast Leia's Wampa parents into oblivion. Yoda rescues her on his trusty Taun-taun, Zorp. The two then commandeer Bail's ship, the Malodorous Beagle, into deep space.

The rest of the movie writes itself. ;)

17. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    I would just tweak a couple things in ROTJ.

Chewbacca can swing on a vine all he wants. But no Tarzan roar. Please. And I would cut the scene with the Ewok trying to wake up his dead Ewok friend. Because I still have trouble sitting through that. :_|

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    So you wouldn't add Ewoks splatted flat in AT-ST footprints then...

19. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I don't think I like that idea. I cannot see Obi-Wan or Yoda raising infants on their own. It doesn't seem logical to me. And I don't see the need for the Skywalker twins to be trained from birth to be a Jedi. I don't think such training will make them perfect or ideal. I guess I don't believe there is some sure formula to train someone to become a Jedi Knight.

20. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    What about adding some inquisitors to assist Darth Vader instead of him always going into battle alone?

21. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    ANH

*Extend the Jabba scene to include backstory references to 4-LOM, Jaxxon the green space-rabbit and IG-88. Add Dengar and Zuckuss into the gang of extras. Put Salacious Crumb on Jabba's shoulder and have him cackle every time Jabba says something sinister. Also, Squid Man needs to be in there somewhere, possibly lurking on the gangplank. Two Yak Faces guarding Jabba are also a must, and a dancing chorus of Gamorrean Guards should carry us into and out of the scene. B'Omarr M'onk can scuttle across the background every two seconds.

*Insert an entire opening act in which Biggs and Luke pal around as 9-year-old kids. Then flash forward to 10 years later. Establish that Luke had a giant man-crush on Biggs and is probably gay, so we don't feel so bad for him when Leia ups and decides she loves Han. After Biggs is killed, hint at a blossoming relationship with Wedge.

*Add a scene where the Emperor abolishes the Senate, then orders a ham sandwich.

*Show Vader furiously beating Kenobi's empty robes with his lightsaber while he screams "I hate you!" Anakin-style.

*More charred corpses, preferably in the background of every scene.

*Dump 1000 medals on Chewie as we IRIS OUT to the credits.

Paparazzo likes this.
  22. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    a lot of people want palpatine in all three films but I like that he's absent for IV and V.

for anh and esb I'd make some minor changes but just that. in rotj I'd make some major changes:

the biggest problem for me in rotj is han solo. han is one of the best characters up to this point tbh. ford wanted to kill him off and a lot of people seem to agree. I'm glad they didn't do this because I think it's better that he appears in tfa (which I think will 'fix' a lot of the problems with han in rotj). I think han's (and even leia's) character could have been given more depth if he was believed to be dead. I'm honestly not sure how I'd do this because I love the jabba's palace sequences. great opening, almost like a heist scene leading into the main plot, great tone, great character reintroductions, and moving it around could cause more problems. but everyone wins if han continues to be a major character, but has less screen time. we need more absence from him to really feel the loss. at the end of esb luke mentions a plan to save han (who we know to be alive), and in the opening crawl of rotj we already know they're going to save them. kind of minimises what was a good, almost 'tragic' story for han in esb. I think there are two ways to do this: 1. have a similar 'heist' opening where we give luke and leia cool introductions in a different/way setting, and have han's rescue be the second act (this film has always been criticised for lacking a real second act). of course, his rescue would have to play out differently to avoid feeling detached. 2. leave the jabba palace sequence as it is, but have it to where they think he's dead at the end of esb and don't mention his rescue (at least directly) in the opening crawl. have a longer sequence with vader in the beginning demonstrating a new superweapon (not death star II), vader's character change, introduce the emperor, show the events that lead them to endor, etc. and then cut to the jabba sequences, reintroducing all of the heroes. when han is freed, have him actually be a changed man. they kind of just made him an idiot in rotj. let him have a 'cool' showdown with boba fett. and then make endor a wookie planet, which works more with han too for obvious reasons. he'd be like a straight up hero by this point.

23. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    I could see Palpatine appearing on the HoloNet to order the dissolution of the Imperial Senate in the wake of the emergency of rebel infiltration.

24. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Geez, some of the suggestions in here are to literally change/remove things that make Star Wars what it is!

[face_shame_on_you]

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    These are just some suggestions on what could have been done with Return of the Jedi. Wookies instead of Ewoks. Was a 2nd Death Star really necessary? It didn't work out too well for them the first time around. Perhaps the final showdown between Luke and Vader, Rebellion and Empire could taken place on Coruscant. Leia as Luke's sister? I know that this is a huge plot point, but in writing the conclusion to the trilogy, they probably felt that they needed to come up with a resolution to Yoda's statement that "there is another" in The Empire Strikes Back. That other could have been Anakin himself. That last hope debate between Yoda and Obi-Wan could have come down to a disagreement as to whether or not Anakin could come back from the dark side. Based on Obi-Wan's statements to Luke, ROTJ, he didn't seem to believe that Anakin was redeemable. As it turned out, he was mistaken. Anakin was indeed redeeemable. He came back from the dark side, saved Luke, killed the Emperor, restored balance to the force and fulfilled his destiny. He was the hope that Yoda and Obi-Wan were looking for. I'm fine with the way ROTJ turned out, but those are just some alternate plot points that could have been explored.

Tosche_Station likes this.