main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rewriting the Prequels...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by swrescripted, Jan 23, 2013.

1. swrescripted

swrescripted Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2013
    Hey guys! I've posted about this once before in the Fan Fiction section, but I guess it didn't belong and I was redirected to this part of the forum instead. Anyways, for a long time I've been displeased with the prequels. And so have a lot of other fans. However, I've never actually seen anyone try to fix it, or make their own rendition of how the prequels could have gone down. I found this very surprising and decided to go for it and try myself. It's a project I'm called Rescripted, as I will be writing them in a script/screenplay format to practice for when I begin writing my own (no-star wars related) stories. Easily the biggest reason I want to do this is how the prequels just don't match up with the original film. There's practically no way they can take place in the same universe. One of my first steps was to write down everything established by the original films that might come into question when writing the prequels. The lists are rather long, but if you want to see them you can see them here. (Last time my post was removed because of an "advertising link", If you have an issue with it please just let me know instead of deleting the whole post, I'll take it down:)).

I also want to hear what other people would want from a better prequel trilogy, anything from ideas to whole plots. So what did you guys want from the prequels?

P.S. Thank you for taking enough interest to read this far.;)

Messi and whostheBossk like this.
  2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    another

"how would you make the PT better thread"?

there are a lot of these

but simply put

the one thing i'd change:

more friendship between obi and Anakin

3. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    -Start the trilogy off when Anakin is older, like 14-16 or so, so we can have the same actor throughout the role and his character arc get's more time to develop. Span his angst throughout all three movies

-Have Obi-Wan and Anakin form a bond in the first movie instead of having the former mope on the ship for the who movie and worry about everything. Develop their relationship through all three movies. Obi-Wan can be kind of a hapless worrier, while Anakin is bolder and adventurous. So it kinda mirrors Artoo and Threepio.

-The Clone Wars start in the first movie so we can actually see the war in it's full swing instead of just getting the outbreak and the end.

-Make the Jedi somewhat less dogmatic overall. So they still come off as close-minded without being creepy, boring jerks. Lower their recruitment standards so they can be talked into recruiting a teenage Anakin, and their stance on attachments can be heavy disapproval instead of outright forbidding them.

-Set Anakin and Padme's relationship to a more perilous setting instead of the Harlequin crap we got.

-Keep Maul alive to the second movie so he can get killed to introduce Dooku, who himself will die in the third movie.

-For god's sake, give Samuel L. Jackson a role where he can do what he does best. Maybe Jackson is Jango Fett and the clones are derived from multiple donors to keep away from slavery overtones? I dunno.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    - make Anakin easier to relate to, much like Joey Gladstone from Full House.

- No Gungans. Replace them with goombas from Super Mario.

- Instead of lines like "I have a bad feeling about this" all the characters talk in Faulknerian stream-of-consciousness.

5. Krazyhornet

Krazyhornet Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2013
  6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Without Jar Jar's manipulative political genius we wouldn't have an Empire.

7. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    1. Darth Maul is the villain in all three movies.
    2. TPM take place 2-3 years before ATOC.
    3. Anakin is 18 years old in TPM, the Council makes an exception to train someone so old because they believe in the prophecy.
    4. The Clone Wars start at the end of TPM, and end at the end of ROTS.
    5. Use Alderaan in place of Naboo, it would be more emotional when it get destroyed in ANH.
    6. The start of TPM could show Darth Maul, kill Sifo Dyas, hire a changeling to pose as Sifo to order a Clone army and erase Kamino from the Jedi archives, then kill the changeling. Then it could say 10 years later . . . showing Obi Wan and Qui Gon arriving at the blockade of Alderaan instead of Naboo.
    7. No midichlorians, for God's sake no Jar Jar, and no rule of two.
    8. Since there is no rule of two, make Grievous a Sith. I find his lack of force disturbing, it's a slap in the face that he is able to kill Jedi without the force.
    9. Put Vader in the suit 3/4 through ROTS so we can see in suit Vader in action.
    10. With Sidious having a Clone army, control of the Senate, control of the Galaxy, the war being over, and most of the Jedi killed in Order 66. He decides he only needs one Sith to do his dirty work, so he makes Vader (in suit) and Maul fight to the death, with Vader emerging victorious.

8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Exactly how are these rewrites supposed to improve the trilogy?

CptEks, Darth Basin, TLR115 and 4 others like this.
  9. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011

1. Not wasting a good villain like Darth Maul by killing him off so quickly, he could have been a legendary villain like Vader if he was giving more character development.

2. TPM taking place 2 years before AOTC instead of 10, basically so Anakin would be older and we could see more of The Clone Wars.

3. Anakin being 18, so we wouldn't have to deal with kid Anakin and we could get one actor for the entire trilogy. Doesn't really add to the story, guess I was being selfish.

4. Show more of the Clone Wars we've all been wanting to see since we heard about them in ANH.

5. Using Alderaan instead of Naboo would make the scene where it gets blown up in ANH more emotional, guess you didn't catch that part.

6. Would add to Darth Maul as a villain, and could explain the whole Sifo Dyas/Clone Army/Kamino thing. Eliminates the need for Dooku to be a former Jedi turned Sith, having Dooku be a former Jedi turned Sith really takes away from Anakin eventually doing the same thing. I would like to believe this kind of thing rarely ever happens, not once every 10 or so years. You could still have Count Dooku, just have him be raised a Sith and not a Dark Jedi.

7. Midichlorians were unnecessary, they were there to show Anakin's potential power, but Qui Gon could have easily said something like "I've never felt someone so strong with the force"

7. Do I need to explain the no Jar Jar part?

7. The rule of two is unrealistic, why would the Sith abide by rules made a thousand years ago by someone they don't even know. Yea Sidious had a master plan to take control of the Senate and create a Clone army so he wouldn't need a bunch of Sith running around, but I gotta believe that if Sidious could potentially have Maul, Dooku, Grievous, and Anakin all working for him at the same time during a time when there is thousands of Jedi, he would take advantage of that. Once all the Jedi are destroyed he would only want there to be one other Sith so they didn't all gang up on him and overthrow him. Even in AOTC the rule of two is ignored when Dooku tried to get Obi Wan to join him.

8. I was always lead to believe that you had to use the force to duel another force user with a lightsaber, due to their quick reflexes or being able to see things before they happen making it seem as though you have quick reflexes. I could see a non-force user dueling another non-force user with a lightsaber, or a non-force user using a lightsaber to weld or torch for construction purposes, but a non-force user dueling a force user should not stand a chance. Again you could still have General Grievous, just make him raised as a Sith.

9. Doesn't really add to the story, just something I thought would be cool to see, just me being selfish again.

10. Now that all the Jedi are destroyed and Sidious has control of everything there is no need for more than one apprentice, and it would have to be explained why we don't see Darth Maul in the OT. Also would show in suit Vader kicking ass, before viewing ROTS that was the one thing I had hoped to see. Doesn't really add to the story, me being selfish for a third time, guess I wouldn't make a very good Jedi.

10. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    These are great suggestions!

Howard Hand, Thuro, Redimet and 3 others like this.
  11. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm stealing this from someone else, but the ideas are on topic and bear repeating. It would be nice to see obi one and Anakin start off as jedi partners investigating crime and keeping the peace and what have you. At the same time the sith have infiltrated the senate. AObi and Ani are investigating an assasination of the chancolor of the senate together and discover there sith plot to overthrow the galaxy. in the meantime, ani and obi are vying for the affections of padme. she eventually hooks up with ani, but there are still sparks between her and obi. Meanwhile the palpatine who is secretly a sith becomes the head of the senate and ani and obi discover that the assassin is a sith warrior and have it out with him in an elaborate lightsaber duel. At the end of the movie the assassin is defeated but the mystery of the sith is now brought too light. Padme tells ani that she is pregnant with twins and they get married.

In movie two obi and ani are investigating the mystery of the sith. At some point, ani is taken prison by the sith and obi is sent to secure padme and the twins. While under the thrall of the sith he is shown a vision of obi and padme getting together behind his back. He is also exposed to trumped up proof that the Jedi are planning to take over thegalaxy and convinced that thesithare notht edark path, butmerely an alternate andmoreaggressive path to justice, which appeals to him and he begins training as asith. meanwhile, in the months that obi is searching for ani, he and padme do develop a relationship that could develop into more, but doesn't. When ani is finally "freed" he confronts his best friend and partner, obi about his visions and obi admits that he is attracted to padme. An emotional battle takes place between he and obi in which the wound we know ani has are dealt. palpatine reveals himself to ani as thesith leader, restores him cybernetically to the darth vader that we know and love, and manipulates ani's into becoming a leader in his secret clone army he has commissioned to wipe out the jedi. the clone wars begin. Blind with furym Ani hunts down and kills padme, but before he can kill the twins, obi splits them up and sequesters them away. as the movie ends, the clone wars are in full swing and vader is personally hunting down jedi where he finds them and angrily destroying them.

Movie three is the story of the jedi's last stand against the clones and darth vader. I don't really have this fleshed out, but basically the galaxy is in turmoil and the people believe that the jedi are behind it, which allows palpatine to become the leader who is able to put them down. In another confrontation with vader, obi and yoda,( the master who trained him) are nearly able to get ani to see reason, but ani's anger at obi blinds him, and the pair barely escape with their lives. meanwhile the seeds of rebellion are sown. Bail Organa and company know the truth about the jedi and the sith and have begun plotting the.emperor's overthrow...

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Obi-Wan should have tried to redeem Anakin at Mustafar. And he should have come close to succeeding.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd leave them as they are.

14. swrescripted

swrescripted Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2013
    Wow, I wasn't expecting this many responses; a lot of you have some really good ideas! Some of them are actually ones I had come up with too, great minds think alike I guess ;). Maul lasting through the trilogy is definitely one of the changes I'm going to make, and so is boosting Anakin's age

Kilroy, I really like your senate investigation idea. I may have to steal it.

15. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    This. Especially the highlighted parts.

16. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    My suggestions, which may or may not contradict my other ones..

1. Darth Maul should be the sith villain throughout the PT, meaning he does not die. Dooku will still appear, but instead he's the politicial figurehead of the CIS.

2. Padme's sister who in my version would be someone in her early 20's is the queen of naboo. Padme would instead just be a handmaiden.

3. I'm thinking of boosting Anakin's age a few years, no more than 12, or 13 at the very least. He would be closer in age to padme this way.

These are mine for now...

17. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    There already are two attempts which I know of to do this. One is a series of novels; the first volume has been released titled: Star Wars Awakening by David Gremillion. The second is going to be in the form of graphic novels. They are being worked on right now I believe.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they could do the movies better than George. Like it or not, Lucas' versions are the versions that have, and they are part of the Star Wars saga. Personally, I think the stories are brilliant in all three films. Sure, I could do with less Jar Jar, and some of the dialogue could be better. But they are Lucas' stories, no one else's.

I have often thought about what other people would have done with a prequel trilogy, and after much thinking have come to the conclusion that had anyone besides George done it, it would have likely been a rehash of the OT with a lot of unthinking, unoriginal ideas. George's story is extremely intricate and well planned. Who else would have made the Clone's the good guys? And then had the good guys become the storm troopers of the original films? If someone else wrote the clone wars, they would have been about a clone army invading, or something predictable. In terms of story, Lucas' version will always be unsurpassed.

18. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    4. Show more of the Clone Wars we've all been wanting to see since we heard about them in ANH.

I'm pretty sure that's why they have an entire five seasons of a show devoted to the Clone Wars. And it's pretty darn good.

19. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    1. no jar-jar binks
    2. Clone Wars begin half-way into episode 1
    3. They rage on during episode 2
    4. They come to a close at the end of episode 3
    5. no jar-jar binks
    6. no kids (because I saw how annoying young Anakin was, and was disappointed Boba was a useless kid, that when the Youngling scene came about in RotS, it was a happy moment for me)
    7. Jedi act more like mystical chivalrous Space-Knights, rather than weird emotionless monks
    8. no midi-chlorians
    9. no jar-jar binks
    10. no pod racing
    11. re-write ALL dialogue between Anakin and Padme, especially in AotC.

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    1. Make Obi-Wan the main character of Episode 1. No Qui-Gon. Sorry, but Qui-Gon is only cool because of the actor who played him. A more reckless individual than the crybaby from TPM.

2. Instead of just one villain, have two. This will take the Sith Knights from the original Star Wars drafts. Darth Maul will be one. Obi-Wan will kill the other, wound Maul, and Maul will seek revenge throughout the Trilogy.

3. A less boring Jedi order with less rules. Base the Jedi council off the 7 Samurai from the Kurasawa film.

4. Less politics

5. No Jar Jar or midiclorians

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Who was the crybaby of Episode I? I hardly recall anyone crying, except for Obi-Wan to mourn Qui-Gon (his companion and father-like figure for decades).

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    OH MY GOD ALEXRD, I feel so bad now. Your so right.

Lots of people like myself use the words crying or whining in order to describe a character who complains a lot. And in some cases shows how uninteresting they are. Han Solo complained too, but atleast he was cool while doing it. A better example would be Anakin, who cried for pretty much 2 whole movies.

Chainmail_Jedi likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Oh, of course...

24. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    I really don't like how the Jedi were destroyed so easily the order should of been broken down over all three movies and order 66 finishes them off. The villains outside of Sidious seemed weak and there wasn't enough depth to them.

I would have Maul live he makes his own order, becomes super powerful, almost takes over the galaxy, and kills hundreds of Jedi.
    I would have Dooku in the first movie and he actually lives and redeems himself
    A better relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan should of been closer in age more interaction in the first movie
    Anakin shouldn't of been so whiny and so full of himself
    No Jar Jar
    Clone Wars starts in first movie

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    If you ask me, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi should have been combined to form a new character... called Obi-Wan Kenobi.