main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rewriting the Prequels...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by swrescripted, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    From an overall standpoint the OT is the one that really needs to be remade. The PT can stay as it is and then the OT can be redone to fit even better into the overall saga.

I figure that the OT will be remade in about 20 years. Ewan will be the right age to play Obi-Wan but this time the scale and scope of the movies will be able to be spread across the entire saga.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

When the time comes, the OT will be remade. No film is safe from the remake bug.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Disney's going to milk the current franchise for as long as it can, rebooting either trilogies would be the last thing they do. Considering they have 30 years of EU material to mine, and plenty of their own ideas, it will be a VERY long time before Star Wars is rebooted. Spinoffs will satisfy their need for theatricals.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    TCW series was the PT reboot. It made major changes to that time line: rivalry among the Sith, resurrection of Maul, Anakin's apprentice, Jedi Council were aware the Clone Wars was built on a lie. Obi-Wan love interest dramatically changed his character; even he doubted the Jedi Code at times. Also, it made Yoda more like the OT.

Rebels, live-action series (if it happens), post-RoTJ animated series (might happen) and the spin-off movies will be the reboots for the OT. For example, the Ghost crew of Rebels are known as Lothal Rebels - the group who inspire the wider rebellion.

Disney do not, and probably will never, remake the movies.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Those things are retcons which adds in new information not previously divulged in the films. A reboot is where the story starts over from scratch.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    darth-sinister I recommended to skiara that we add the definition of Retcon vis-a-via reboot to the WNU dictionary of terms.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Probably wise.

8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I know. That's why I said Disney would never remark the movies and will use other means to slightly alter storylines. A full traditional reboot of the entire franchise will never happen

Revious Nugo likes this.
  9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Never say never. Disney is like all the other movie studios. They'll go where the wind blows. It'll happen, but not for another twenty to thirty years. Even "The Godfather" will get a remake.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Toasted

Toasted Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2014
    How would you guys "rewrite", and create your own imagining of what you think should have the prequels should have been like? What the Clone Wars were about, the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan, and his fall to Darth Vader?

Me, personally, would have loved to see them done well, and they way they should have been - without all that nonsense we did get. Replace Naboo with Alderaan, start Anakin off as a teenager, make his relationship with Padme more like Han and Leia's was, and have him and Obi-Wan actually "be friends".

Howbout one central villain throughout the trilogy (Either Darth Maul or Count Dooku), instead of a new one every movie. Maybe even incorporate the Mandalorians in the story somehow. Let us know your ideas!

11. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Villains:
    I personally believe that both Dooku and Maul could have served an excellent purpose together. Here's how I'd fix both:

Dooku is up first. I think he should've been in TPM. He should've been on the council when Qui-Gon was introducing Anakin. Also, he should've been vehemently against Anakin joining the order. This creates conflict between him and Qui-Gon. So when Qui-Gon dies, he feels awful because his former padawan died while they were on bad terms. The loss of Qui-Gon drives him mad, eventually leading him to the dark side. At Qui-Gon's funeral, he gives Mace his saber (while crying) and simply tells him that he's sorry. He then leaves. Yoda tells Obi-Wan (in the scene where he says that the council has accepted Anakin) that Master Dooku heavily influenced the decision. That sets him up for AOTC instead of just simply coming out of the blue. Also, it only adds at most 5 minutes to the movie. His role in AOTC and ROTS wouldn't even have to change much.

With Maul, I just simply think he shouldn't die in TPM. He could be behind the attacks on Amidala. Zam Wessell could say that she was hired by a Sith instead of Jango. Personally, I feel that would be better. Jango can still use the dart on her, as he's actually working for Maul and Palps as well. What if the battle at the end of AOTC was two on two? Anakin battles Dooku while Obi-Wan battles Maul. Anakin will still be bested by Dooku, and that will thus set up his issues with Dooku (i.e. cutting his arm off). When Anakin's hurt, Obi-Wan rushes to his aid, and Maul and Dooku both escape in the midst of it.

ROTS plays out very similarly. Basically, the only big difference is that Grievous is replaced by Maul.

Love story:

To be honest, I don't think there should have been one. Blasphemous, I know. But please listen. Not all children are had inside of a marriage. Personally, I think that Anakin and Padme shouldn't have been married. I think that both Obi-Wan and Anakin should've had the hots for her. If they played it that way, then there could be rivalry amongst brothers. That would allow for Episode II to be about Anakin and Obi-Wan instead of Anakin and Padme. And in Episode III, it will be much more upsetting when their relationship crumbles as Anakin falls to the dark side.

The children will be conceived in early ROTS. Eventually, Padme and Anakin have a one-night stand and she later finds that she is with child. That would add more urgency to her pregnancy because they're not together (so they don't want kids!). This also makes it to where Anakin doesn't fall because of love. Palpatine did quite enough to twist Anakin's vision of the Jedi. I'm sure that something else could be used. Also, that will allow Padme to actually die of something legitimate in child birth other than "lack of will to live" (honestly, they could've done that to begin with and that glaring problem wouldn't exist).

13. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    If I'm rewriting the prequels, I'd change two things:

Villains:
    I personally believe that both Dooku and Maul could have served an excellent purpose together. Here's how I'd fix both:

Dooku is up first. I think he should've been in TPM. He should've been on the council when Qui-Gon was introducing Anakin. Also, he should've been vehemently against Anakin joining the order. This creates conflict between him and Qui-Gon. So when Qui-Gon dies, he feels awful because his former padawan died while they were on bad terms. The loss of Qui-Gon drives him mad, eventually leading him to the dark side. At Qui-Gon's funeral, he gives Mace his saber (while crying) and simply tells him that he's sorry. He then leaves. Yoda tells Obi-Wan (in the scene where he says that the council has accepted Anakin) that Master Dooku heavily influenced the decision. That sets him up for AOTC instead of just simply coming out of the blue. Also, it only adds at most 5 minutes to the movie. His role in AOTC and ROTS wouldn't even have to change much.

With Maul, I just simply think he shouldn't die in TPM. He could be behind the attacks on Amidala. Zam Wessell could say that she was hired by a Sith instead of Jango. Personally, I feel that would be better. Jango can still use the dart on her, as he's actually working for Maul and Palps as well. What if the battle at the end of AOTC was two on two? Anakin battles Dooku while Obi-Wan battles Maul. Anakin will still be bested by Dooku, and that will thus set up his issues with Dooku (i.e. cutting his arm off). When Anakin's hurt, Obi-Wan rushes to his aid, and Maul and Dooku both escape in the midst of it.

ROTS plays out very similarly. Basically, the only big difference is that Grievous is replaced by Maul.

Love story:

To be honest, I don't think there should have been one. Blasphemous, I know. But please listen. Not all children are had inside of a marriage. Personally, I think that Anakin and Padme shouldn't have been married. I think that both Obi-Wan and Anakin should've had the hots for her. If they played it that way, then there could be rivalry amongst brothers. That would allow for Episode II to be about Anakin and Obi-Wan instead of Anakin and Padme. And in Episode III, it will be much more upsetting when their relationship crumbles as Anakin falls to the dark side.

The children will be conceived in early ROTS. Eventually, Padme and Anakin have a one-night stand and she later finds that she is with child. That would add more urgency to her pregnancy because they're not together (so they don't want kids!). This also makes it to where Anakin doesn't fall because of love. Palpatine did quite enough to twist Anakin's vision of the Jedi. I'm sure that something else could be used. Also, that will allow Padme to actually die of something legitimate in child birth other than "lack of will to live" (honestly, they could've done that to begin with and that glaring problem wouldn't exist).

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I would have done something like this
    The first one would start with two Jedi ambassadors going to a Trade Federation control ship blockading a planet called Naboo, and....

Andy Wylde and Cael-Fenton like this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Merging thread.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

So why would Vader want to save Luke, if he didn't want to have a child in the first place? Hell, he'd let him die because he didn't want to be burdened with a child.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012

Gah, you make a good point. There still should be a way to get rid of that love story or at least tame it down. It was awful in AOTC.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think you still need a love story, but it needs to be better.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I thought a love story could work but didn't the way it's conveyed and I absolutely *applaud* that Anakin and Padme were married.

20. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    And all you said has been made through Novels and Comics.If you have not been so stubborn and so focused in the movies you'll have see it. Seriously men, can't you think by yourselves instead of letting someone else do it for you ?

21. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    And that's what happen in the novels. In the phantom menace, Obi-wan was discribed like someone who constantly look forward, always worrying about the consequences of his acts and of others (the Unifying Force proned by Yoda)instead of keeping his concentration and focus on the "here and now" as Qui-Gon always told him (the Living Force). But training Anakin—and fighting beside him, all these years—has changed Obi-wan and has made him reconsider his situation. The consequence is that in revenge of the sith, we've got an Obi-wan Kenobi more like Qui-Gon Jinn.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

It's not meant to be like Han and Leia. It's meant to evoke a tragic, Shakespearean quality. Anakin has no experience with women like Han. Padme has only ever had feelings for one other boy and that only lasted a short time. They were star crossed lovers trying to figure things out and ultimately, they're destroyed by their love.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I find this perception very hard to understand. To me neither pair had love in the way it's conveyed on film. Love doesn't destroy, it builds up.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Love can destroy because there have been couples who aren't that different from Anakin and Padme. Where one becomes so obsessive, possessive, jealous, angry and malicious that they've imploded. Usually resulting in serious injury and even in some cases, death. That's why their relationship was doomed because he confused compassionate love, which is the kind of love that Han and Leia wind up having with possessive love which is why one is dead and the other is damned.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    zompusbite Please review the thread pinned on top of this forum concerning Double Posts.