main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rewriting the Prequels...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by swrescripted, Jan 23, 2013.

1. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Lot of ideas that people have probably already discussed.

Just switching Naboo to Alderaan would have a huge impact.

Naboo plays no role past Episode II so no reason to worry if it gets blown up, adds more impact to the scene.

Padme not dying in Episode III is another idea I like, takes dramatic impact from Episode III but adds it to the poorly done Luke/Leia scene in the Ewok Village.

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I guess have to blame the internet for that. I still believe if you let any child between the ages of 7 and 14 watch all 6 films with out the opinion of their tainted parents, many older fans would be surprised how even the films are. Nostalgia....is a major flaw especially when it comes to memories some fans had as kids. I wish someone would do this fair experiment let a group of kids watch all 6 movies and see who or what they like the most about the story and characters. I think many will find those kid will like both Luke and Anakin, like both Leia and Padme, like both Jar Jar and Chewy, etc etc. Without someone telling them what they should or shouldnt like.

Darth Schlotkin likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I like that idea but the parents aren't 'tainted'. As a child's parent they have the right to express their own memories/tastes. Many do so trying to bond with the child not 'taint' their views.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

I showed my kids and my wife Star Wars chronologically and said that they're all great. Cause honestly, I love both PT and OT equally. My kids do love the PT more, most likely cause of the action, but my wife actually likes the OT.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Really? Well my (very discerning) 8 year old niece has seen all six. And she viewed them OT first, and then the prequels. As should be :). She loved Leia (her favourite) and Yoda. Vader was a 'bad man' lol. She was indifferent to the PT. She liked young Anakin and laughed at Jar Jar. About it really.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  7. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

Yeah, kids really don't have a problem with Jar Jar. They think he's funny. Only people who grew up with OT can't stand him.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's an inaccurate blanket statement. While many that don't like Jar Jar saw OT first it isn't exclusive to us. :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That's right. There are plenty of younger fans who can't stand Jar Jar. One is in my world civ class. There are also older fans who don't mind him. I think there was too much of him but I don't hate him.

10. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014

Yeah, but then there would be weird emotional dynamics with Vader watching Padme's home planet get blown up and not apparently having any reaction. Also, it would make giving Leia to the Organas a terrible idea. It's one thing to give Luke to Anakin's family, knowing there's little to no chance that Vader will ever go to Tatooine. But leaving Leia on Padme's home planet, a core world that Vader will certainly visit, knowing that he'll end up interacting with her since she's being raised by the royal family? Too easy for him to make the connections.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I wouldn't think so. He couldn't even sense her at all till RotJ and he was WITH her plenty in SW.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I would just leave Naboo in episode one and change it to Alderaan in episode two.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It was too painful for Vader to ever revisit Tatooine or Naboo, due to those being his and his wife's home planet, respectively

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That may be part of it. I think the personal associations attached to each planet likewise factor in alongside origin, Naboo is happy, desert rock, discontent.

15. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Why weren't the clones the enemies of the Jedi and the Republic? I thought one of the ideas behind the Clone Wars was to show how grotesque and immoral creating artificial life, especially for use in a military fashion was. Only cold and heartless beings would create these creatures.

I could have imagined the paranoia after an army of mutant, alien clones appears suddenly from a completely unknown origin in deep space and begins to ravage the galaxy. The sudden appearance of this seemingly endless and mysterious threat of would traumatize the galaxy into giving more and more executive control to the Republic until it becomes the Empire. The reappearance of the clones would become sort of a bogeyman that the Empire could use as propaganda and as a justification for the continuously large military presence following the end of the war.

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    If I was rewrite the prequels I would not have had Anakin as a slave, Cha Cha would be ruler of the gungans not just the army, the emperor's plot exposed early, the clone army helping the jedi instead of killing them, the lightsaber duel between Maul Ginn & Kenobi should ended in a draw with Maul escaping etc.

17. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    I would make changes to the way the prequels tie into the OT. I would remove things that seem forced, such as Chewbacca on Kashyyyk, the Clone Army being derived from Jengo Fett, and the construction of the first Death Star in ROTS.

In their place, I would have made the clone trooper uniforms identical to the stormtroopers we know from the OT. The Republic Naval fleet would be the the same as what we know in the OT, with Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, and Imperial (Republic) walkers. Palpatine's face would have gradually disfigured over the course of time rather than all at once during the right with Mace Windu. Padme wouldn't have died on-screen (though I would have left the scene where Palpatine tells Anakin he killed her even though it is a lie).

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, why wouldn't Chewbacca be defending his home world? What's wrong with the clones coming from Jango? TCW already explained why it took so long for the DS to be made. Also, you do know that technology changes over a period of years? The F-14 Tomcat has long since given way to the F-22 Raptor. So would the Jedi Interceptors give way to the TIE Fighters and TIE Interceptors.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    If the prequels were to be rewritten, I'd say the blueprint for how they should have been is already out there in the form of the (first two) Lethal Weapon films. As absurd as it sounds, the backstory that was hinted about in the OT always reminded me of those films, rather than what we actually got in the form of the PT. Hear me out:

In ANH, the way Obi Wan describes his relationship with Anakin is very similar to the relationship between Murtaugh and Riggs. All's you'd have to do is replace the setting of L.A. with the Star Wars universe, and instead of doing police work, Obi Wan and Anakin are doing Jedi missions set against the backdrop of the Clone Wars. That's it, you're pretty much done. You see, I always thought the emotional heart of the prequels was the friendship between Anakin and Obi Wan. I always figured it would be something akin to a buddy cop movie, in which they get into adventures (with Anakin being an awesome starfighter pilot, and the two Jedi being valiant warriors), and we see their emotional bond grow until tragedy strikes and Anakin turns to the dark side. We never really got any of that, although Lucas hints that it happened off screen. Of course, TCW was a lot closer to this vision, which is why I've always thought that show was superior in terms of character development.

Even the love story in Lethal Weapon 2 is more how I imagined the love story being between Anakin and Padme (or Lady Skywalker, since I never liked the name "Padme"). Rigg's reaction to Rika's loss is amazing, and was more how I imagined Anakin turning to the dark side. A lot of this was due to Mel Gibson's performance, but the story/script just felt more realistic, mature, and emotional as well.

Jcuk likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Riggs and Murtaugh were different. In the first film, they didn't know each other and barely trusted the other until Rianne was taken. They remained friends from that point on. There's also something else to consider; in ANH Obi-wan is talking about both Anakin and Vader as two different people which was how it was made. The backstory was that Anakin was Obi-wan's friend and Vader was his Apprentice to grew angry, resentful and jealous over time. Who became greedy and sought out more and more power. In choosing to combine the two in TESB, Lucas knew that the backstory would have to paint both aspects of those individuals characters and merge them together. So having a rocky relationship in AOTC and ROTS makes sense. They're good friends, but there's tension in there as well.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Personally, I never got the impression the 2 were friends. It was implied that they were, but such a dynamic between the 2 most important protagonists of a story needs to be portrayed convincingly and with suitable depth of character. Which never happened. This is where Lucas failed in his writing. And the knock on effect from that failure affected everything. My opinion.

Digladio and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In what way wasn't it portrayed?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    In what way wasn't it portrayed?..Well for instance. How about some well written character, and relationship building scenes for example. Something palpable and emotional for us the viewer. Some buddy adventures that really convince you that these two truly are (above all else) very close friends. There was literally none of that I'm afraid. It was all implied, and you were just expected to accept it. Well I'm sorry, but no I'm afraid.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    There was a baleful lack of backslapping, hi-fiving, and moments of bro.

/sarcasm

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Funny ;) but that's not what I meant