main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fate of the Clones

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by themetresgained, May 18, 2014.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I vote 2. I felt like Rex got shafted day-to-day in TCW. Before I watched it, I knew what a large fanbase he commanded and thought he'd have more of a role outside his 1 or 2 arcs that were specifically dedicated to him.

I daresay I want an adult Rex novel.

Trebor Sabreon and gracesonnet like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Rex needs some more stories.

3. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    To paraphrase the Sam Adams beer commercials, more Rex stories: always a good decision :)

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed.

5. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    We definitely knew going into this project that the day would come that stuff would get contradicted. We do indeed have a script finished for the Vos/Ventress story that we've decided to move forward with anyway. We worked hard on it (and all of them) so we want to see it through! We just weren't expecting it to get blown out of the water so soon with LFL's refocus on Rebels and the time after Episode VI. But hey, similar to how lots of stuff that Star Wars: Tales did got contradicted by new canon material, we're just happy to contribute something to the fandom we love so much. :)

6. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Probably a mix of 2 and 3, leaning heavily on 3.

Say what you will about the novels, but I enjoyed Rex's appearances in the novels. Plus, like the Ventress/Vos novel- it may be able to delve a little more adult than the show really could.

7. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    One of the things I liked about the Clone Wars novel (the movie tie-in) were all the Rex-centric passages; his interactions with Ahsoka, the battle that nearly obliterated Torrent Company*, his private comms-banter with the surviving soldiers while they're trying to stall Ventress, etc. Any story that dives into his head more is okay by me.

*Was that Teyr or Teth? I can never keep the two straight, and then we just go into more Hutt shenanigans, anyway.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Other than those few key arcs, Rex definitely was relegated to supporting-character status. I remember coming out of the Umbara arc saying to myself, "Wow, they've really stepped up with this guy." I couldn't wait to see how the events of that arc would be built upon in the future.

And the next time we see him? Rex was largely back to his old self in the slavers arc.

Still, I think they almost would have had to spotlight Rex as he addressed the issue of his inhibitor chip. I mourn the loss of what surely would have been some terrific TCW Rex-centric story lines.

You know, I really like how all three of you think!

And you're absolutely right: There are terrific things that we could potentially get out of a novel; things that we just aren't likely to ever see on-screen. And two very important ones are internal dialogue and a story line targeted more directly towards the adult fan.

I won't deny that a part of me still holds out hope for more on-screen adventures for Rex, but I'd love to see some novels, too. And your responses have only strengthened my desire for such a book/series of books.

I suppose my only little caveat with Rex, specifically, is that I think we'd need to see more than just one lone, incomplete TCW arc as the basis for the book (or we'd need more than the one book).

Why? Well, assuming the one unfinished arc we know Rex was set to star in ('the Batch' Commando arc) didn't take us to the very end of the Clone War, then I think we'd still need to see more.

Because let's face it, as much fun as it may be to see, our real, burning questions aren't concerned so much with what else Rex did during the war with the Separatists.

For Rex, our big questions center on Order 66 and beyond.

9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Trebor Sabreon

I think Rex's fate is something that the new canon will very likely delve into. His story is hardly finished, and I am sure Dave Filoni hasn't forgotten how much of a fanbase Rex and the clones have. No doubt LFL will throw us a bone and provide us with the next chapter of Rex's story at some point. Whether it will be in the form of some onscreen media like Rebels, or the printed page, it really doesn't matter to me. I feel both mediums can do his story justice.

I have a strong feeling that we'll eventually get more of his story at some point, and perhaps eventually even his fate. Perhaps they'll have another novel lined up detailing what becomes of Rex for the remainder of the Clone Wars, and most importantly during the timeframe of Order 66, and I suspect that we'll then witness the culmination of the myriad forces gnawing at him that would eventually influence his decision to either stay loyal to Vader and the 501st or desert, provided he's still with his battalion when the Order goes down. That is the biggest moment I can think of regarding Rex that everyone wants to know, and I'm sure they won't disappoint us by leaving it up in the air. I'm holding out hope that if he survived the events of the Clone Wars, that he would reappear as a aged veteran in Rebels, perhaps assisting a fledgling rebel cell against the very government he once swore to protect. I figure he'll be back, if only because it would be a shame if they never revisited the story of the man who defined the individuality and character of the clones to an entire generation of fans.

It would undoubtedly be a very poignant moment if and once we see Rex onscreen once again.

10. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    It's Teth, was just watching a Battlefront II mod of it. And yeah, after that section the novel and movie just go downhill.

Rex has a prominent role in No Prisoners that was fun to read. Watching him juggle a bunch of new recruits, an Ahsoka that Anakin kinda dumped on him and ran off to be with Padme, Altisian Jedi vs. Orthodox Jedi, and rescuing Pellaeon's secret girlfriend was entertaining.

So more novel appearances are fine- but I'd like to see more animated appearances as well. Either in unfinished TCW arcs or an appearance in Rebels. It would just seem incomplete to have probably the most developed clone just disappear with nothing known what happens to him. Plus, I fully expect all that character development to pay off.

100 posts FTW!

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Definite 3 - that would be my vote for anything Star Wars I was interested in.

Seerow, QuangoFett and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Book is probably the way to go imo. We can get into the characters' heads pretty good much more easily.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Would largely depend on how Rebels treats the Clone issue during the first season on how they phased out Clones and why. Thats even if they go there and not ignore it. It was only in the later seasons of CW did they start exploring some things more movie related.

Possibly Clones could end up like 99 with rapid aging, this way they can terminate the clones as unfit. Clones were also like an emergency army, now that the Empire controls everything they can hire a standing army and not worry about growth issues and spend more on science of breeding and any engineering defects.

14. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I would like to see a Rex trilogy of books, or 3 short 150 page stories in one book, similar to how they are doing the Ventress book. They can have book 1 be the Commando/Echo arc, book 2 be the Rex/R2D2 arc, and book 3 be the final Rex arc that was probably planned (He leaves/stays in the Republic, he lives/dies etc.)

15. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I could definitely get behind a series of Rex books. That would be awesome!

On another front, we've discussed time and again about how Rex may have wound up, had TCW finished its run. And we've often speculated about a potential appearance in Rebels, too.

But I wonder what your thoughts about a possible Rex standalone movie may be?

But before I get too far ahead of myself, first, does anyone think Lucasfilm views Rex as the kind of character who could even lead a feature film? What I mean is, I'd personally love a Rex movie, but I wonder if the higher-ups feel as though Rex is strictly supporting-character material, rather than a proper protagonist type?

How do you think Lucasfilm would feel about the potential for a Rex standalone?

Better yet, what do you think of Rex as a prospective 'leading man'?

And if you do like the idea of Rex in a live action picture, what might you make of him?

A small, personal tale of a lone, simple man just trying to make his way in the universe?

Or would you sooner pair Rex up with other co-lead characters? If so, who? And why?

And when would you have it set?

Leaning towards the more ensemble route, I was thinking that maybe they could loosely play off of the TCW "Batch" idea and have Rex lead a group of spec ops clones during the Clone War? Maybe even borrow the title Star Wars: Republic Commando(s)? I think I'd love to see that.

Or how about setting the same conceit sometime during the Imperial Period, and have Rex leading what are now an unofficial unit of highly-skilled former Republic commandos as they take the fight to the Empire? Maybe we even witness these guys being forced to team up with some of their former enemies from the now-defunct CIS?

I believe that I might like this idea even more.

But again, how about you? How might you go about a Rex film? Could a film centered on Captain Rex even work in your eyes?

What do you folks think?

16. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Who would they have play him, Temeura Morrison?

17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I asked that before, and the consensus seemed to be yes, Temuera was the one-and-only, completely obvious, why-would-I-even-ask candidate to play Rex in any live action role. :D

Myself? I was thinking that maybe since Morrison is in his early-to-mid-fifties, someone younger might be needed now. But I suppose it depends on when the film would be set.

Set the movie later, during the Imperial Period (whether Rex remains loyal to the Empire or strikes out on his own) and Morrison might be perfect.

But a Clone War film, I think, probably would require a recast. And why not? After all, it's not as if Temuera is the only actor to ever portray a clone in the films, you know? Hey, what's Bodie Taylor up to these days? ;)

I don't know, what do you think?

Can you see anyone else in the role? If so, who?

18. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Tem is too old.

But I think I prefer a Rex novel to a movie. I want to know more about what he's feeling and thinking. You can't get that in a film.

19. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    Rex's inner thoughts could be him reciting the phone book and I'd still be down with it. Go Rex!

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I would be way more psyched for a Rex live-action Star Wars side film in between the main saga episodes than Boba Fett or a lot of the ideas that get thrown around frequently.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yep, I think so, too. (see below)

Personally, if I could only have one go at it, I'd prefer a film or TV series, just because I tend to favor SW when it includes the visual splendor and musical score.

But I absolutely echo your sentiments, here.

You know, while it may not have been anyone's intent, the mention of Rex's "inner thoughts" at first made me consider a release centered on a conceit like Rex's Diary. But the diary format often includes too many short passages for my tastes.

So, it got me to thinking, if we really wanted to dive a little deeper into the innermost thoughts of Captain Rex (and Star Wars-y goodness, in general), I say we request something like STAR WARS: The 501st: Memoirs of the Clone War by CT-7567 Clone Captain Rex.

Anyone who has ever read a well-written combat memoir is familiar with it's unique brand of individual, personal charm and gripping detail. We could delve into the best known campaigns showcased in TCW, exploring Rex's innermost thoughts on Cut Lawquane (who I could see Rex leaving "unnamed"), Second Geonosis, Umbara, Fives and the inhibitor chip, etc., while also adding any number of new stories to the canon; stories of battles as yet unimagined in SW lore.

The end of the book could actually be used to give us the answer to the one question we all want to know about. What was Rex's personal involvement with Order 66? We could read a detailed accounting of the event, itself, and the memoir could close with Rex either beginning a new life as a man on the run, or Rex receiving his new Imperial Stormtrooper gear, sharing his thoughts on the New Order and Darth Vader (does Rex know?).

What do you think?

I've thought of that, too.

Well, not about Fett, per se. I'm a fan of Boba - a big, big fan, in fact, and Joe Johnston - God love him - has had me dreaming of a Fett picture for quite some time, now.

But other than that, and the Ewan Ben Kenobi film I desperately hope to see, there may not be a spin-off I'd sooner choose to see than a Rex movie. As much as I absolutely love Han Solo, for instance, I'd much rather see Rex star in a picture. I think it could be absolutely amazing.

It's funny you mention live action, because along those lines, I actually came here to this thread today, not just respond to Grace and Metres, but also to mention that I came across this:

[​IMG]

And while it's certainly interesting, I'm not so sure that just putting a blonde Temuera Morrison in a set of 501st clone armor really says "Captain Rex," myself.

Now, I'm not familiar enough with most of today's younger actors to have a list of candidates I think would work better, but I have to think there's someone out there who could make it work.

In fact, the only actor who immediately springs to my mind is Episode VII's Oscar Isaac.

[​IMG]

In trying to guess his role in the ST, I'm not the only one who has expressed that Oscar has perhaps loosely a bit of the look of a Fett clone about him. Now, other pics may show it better, and I don't know about anyone else, but give this guy a blonde dye-job and I think I can see some resemblance to Rex here.

And I know this is a complete reach, but who knows, if Mr. Isaac actually is playing a clone descendant in the new trilogy, then maybe he wouldn't be averse to playing Rex one day, too? Regardless of who or what he's playing, though, I just think SW is lucky to have Oscar. He's really, really good!

22. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    I would be cool with all of that! Although if Rex's outcome in a post-Order 66 world is that he participated in Operation: Knightfall and is now joined up with the Imperials...honestly, I'd probably cry. Stay good, Rex!

I'd like to think, as several fanfics have suggested, that Rex would tell Anakin and Palpatine where they could stuff their Order 66-- but then that means his imminent death and we're right back to the crying.

Sgt Crowfield and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I was just reading something like that it was called service and I loved it. I would be 100 percent down for that.

24. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    Nowadays anyone could play Rex in a live-action film. They could have Rex take his helmet off rarely and get the face cgi-ed onto the body ala motion capture.

Personally what I would want is to see his story finished with The Clone Wars style animation. Whose to say they're still not done working on the Clone Wars 100%. It may just be someone other than Filoni finishing it up. Highly unlikely tho...just some wishful thinking:)

I will not be happy if his fate is resolved off-screen. He's been my 2nd favorite Star Wars character ever since I saw him in The Clone Wars movie in theaters.

25. fives_is_alive

fives_is_alive Jedi Knight

Jun 13, 2014
    Nothing would make me more excited than hearing that Rex would be getting his own movie! No matter if it's live action or animated. IMO he is one of the coolest characters to come from the show, and is a personal favorite right up there with Fives. His story needs and should be finished.

I personally feel that after everything the Clones went through they as a group deserve to have some sort of normal life. Hence why I would like to know that perhaps at some point Rex or some clones with him were able to have a purpose beyond loyal to the end soldiers.