main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey and the left hand path.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Death Wizard, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    At the end of TFA when Rey presents the Skywalker saber to Luke, she does so holding the weapon in her LEFT hand. Through out the film she is clearly right handed. I may be reading too much into this but, I believe it to be symbolic. In Western Magick, the Left Hand-Right Hand dichotomy represents the opposing approaches to magick. The Left-Hand Path is equated with malicious black magic and the Right-Hand Path with benevolent white magic. Is this foreshadowing her fall to the dark-side? Does the light saber represent something more? [​IMG]

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think you're just reading too much into it. It just happened to be her free hand since she was holding the bag she pulled it from with the other.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm just disappointed that her right hand was character assassinated by JJ at the end of the film.
    Us right handed people were convinced she was right handed, then at the pivotal moment of the film, she holds the saber out with her left.

At the moment, I'm fully expecting her to continue using her left hand, and unless I hear spoilers that she fights with her right hand at least once, I am done with Star Wars forever.

4. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    I maybe reading too much into it. However, "it just happened to be her free hand" I don't buy. It is a film, and everything is designed and story-boarded from the costumes to the sounds, the colors in the frame ,the composition of the short, actors need to hit their mark and say the right lines.. Her bag just happened to be in her primary hand so she used her less dominant one in the iconic final shot of the film? Maybe maybe not.

5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah, but what did you think about Leia's ring?

Death Wizard likes this.
  6. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015
    Daisy Ridley is left handed, so maybe Daisy is Luke's daughter not Rey.

7. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    What do you think?

8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Considering she is right handed... it makes sense that she's holding the bag in her right hand. I do that all the time myself as a right handed person. Yes, everything is designed and story boarded, but come on... the actors still act... if she's right handed, she's going to carry things in her right hand.

9. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Proof that Rey is Leia's daughter.

10. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Is there any other overt references to her being 'right handed?'

11. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Oct 31, 2015

Daisy is left handed, i joked, but that's a true fact.

12. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The fact that Rey shot the blaster using her right hand? Every time she grabbed her staff, she used the right hand, when she was pointing to the tape she needed Finn to hand her, she used her right hand.

13. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Daisy is left handed like Mark Hamill is left handed. What a coincidence. [face_whistling]

14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Oh. Then perhaps the OP is on to something with this then?..:)

Death Wizard likes this.
  15. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Oct 31, 2015

Like i said, Episode 8 big twist will be that Luke will break the 4th wall and reveal to the audience that Daisy Ridley is his daughter.

owl89 likes this.
  16. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I think both Rey and Kylo will balance the force within themselves, not choosing the dark side or the light, but accepting that both halfs are apart of themselves and cannot be separated.

Death Wizard likes this.
  17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    They better explain this obvious plot hole or the entire Saga is shot to pieces!

Dak Oolron, WrathofRunia and Jcuk like this.
  18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

Cult of the Left-Handed sword swingers.

Heroic BB-8 and Death Wizard like this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    she loses both hands in the next film

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Why is Rey smiling?
    Because she knows something you don't know. She's not left-handed.

Anybody know how many fingers she has on her right hand? She may need a special lightsaber, crafted especially for her by the great Domingo-wan Kentoya.

21. Death Wizard

Nov 3, 2012
    To add two more cents to my obsession with observing what hand characters are using, C-3po's LEFT hand is painted red through the film. Near the end when the Resistance waves goodbye to Rey, C-3po's left hand is restored to gold, and that is the hand he waves with. Here where I am going with this, in some circles "the right" is equated with the material world and "the left" with the spiritual. The color gold is often used to symbolize enlightenment. Could the return of C-3po's golden left hand and Rey's symbolic left handed "handing off of the torch/LIGHT weapon" both symbolically represent enlightenment, or rather "the awakening"? I think so.

22. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015

No.

23. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Just another plot hole. The movie obviously needed another 5-10 minutes of exposition to explain why she held it up with her left hand in this scene.

intravenusdemilo and Sarge like this.
  24. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    So all lefties are evil then? This sounds completely biblical, where in the 21st c remember.........[face_dunno]

25. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    she's ambidextrous you guys.