main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Rey in literature post 34 ABY/ST

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Aug 31, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    How much freedom do you think Star Wars literature will have in telling stories of Rey post the events of the ST. Of course a large chunk of the stories we get about her will be filling in her life from 15ABY to 34ABY but do you think the books and comics will be equally as handcuffed in telling stories about her post 34ABY as they are now?

I guess it largely depends on rather or not Rey will be in any movies after Ep. IX.

2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I've thought about this myself as I doubt Disney will pass on the chance on making Episodes X-XII

I can see a comic book or basic novel marketed on being the "first official story set after Episode IX" but I wouldn't see it actually offering much to Rey's saga (whatever it ends up being). It'd probably just be a ploy to boost book sales.

Why make another Thrawn-quality book trilogy when they can just make another film trilogy

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I doubt we'll get too much info on Rey, sans the Shattered Empire treatment. Episode X is clearly happening. No way they'll pass on Daisy Ridley while she can still play the young hero.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Episodes X-XII would be the NEXT generation, and the next big story/threat. Meaning Rey would have to be at least 40-50 years old, if she survives. The main saga is generational by trilogy.

Though Rey could feature in a non-episode Anthology film or two, that stands on its own, in the decade or two wait to Episode X.

Or maybe a Live-TV series.

I can also see some animated shows, featuring Rey/Finn/Poe or with cameos, like TCW or Rebels... but like those shows, these new shows wouldn't be groundbreaking territory. Just exploring settings we already know had to happen, like the beginnings of the Rebellion or the Clone Wars.

Also, Episode 8 picking up directly after Episode 7 will means there's no time for an EU between those movies. Hopefully Episode 9 is set a few years after Episode 8, or else we won't have any Sequel-era EU with our main characters.

I honestly don't think they'll ever let the new EU get as epic/ambitious on the scale of the NJO/LOTF/FOTJ series, unless it's supplementing something the movies or shows, at least for movie-era (maybe they'll be allowed that creativity further back in the timeline). New EU so far has been supplementing what's established in the movies, not doing projects like Legacy or the NJO, probably out of fear it will box them in and overcomplicate things for any future movies.

comradepitrovsky and SilentGuy66 like this.
  5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    You're thinking in terms of what Star Wars was like under Lucas. This is a whole new era now where ongoing universes dominate the box office. I could see them taking a few years off from the saga films but I definitely think we will see an episode X-XII by the mid to late 2020's. Ridley is about 25 now and the character she plays is 19. They could easily start an episode X when Ridley is in her early 30's and they could have Rey be about the same age (or perhaps a little younger).

They are setting things up pretty well now for an Ep. X-XII anyways. Rey and Luke will likely end the current trilogy founding a new order. In universe a decade or so can pass and then Ep. X can pick up with that New Order being the focus of the story and the trials and tribulations of running it. In a way it can be what everyone hoped the prequels could have been like.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, they have continued this with the Sequel Trilogy.

7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Episode 10 to 12 will have someone called Gajfsldfjsdalfjsldfjsl, a Bothan, who turns out to be Rey's first apprentice who kills off all the others and strip Rey of the Force, forcing Artoo to seek out Luke. Again.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  8. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    No, for the analogy to work Rey would abandon BB8 and the droid would have to search for her. Luke isn't surviving this current trilogy, anyway.

9. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    But I am satisfied with the PT, and I am one of "everyone".

10. For me the Skywalker saga needs to end in IX

ChrisLyne likes this.
  11. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    The saga should have ended with VI. Since that didn't happen I say end it ASAP. So, IX it is.

12. Yup the true ending is in VI but now that Disney buy the rights I think the saga has and must end in XI
    They can focus on future spin offs, live action series or a trilogy based on the Old Republic

For me they have to let the Skywalkers rest for a while

13. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I don't see why they couldn't do a series of novels. eg. Dark Nest trilogy (pardon the unpopular example) after NJO. It doesn't have to be galaxy-shattering and shouldn't have to get in the way of any future films they make.

That's a sample size of 1. It means nothing. The next trilogy could be set just 3 years after Episode 9, who knows.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    They they wanted to use the original actors and were thus forced to.

I'll be surprised if they don't wait a decent length of time before embarking on Episode XII but they're not on anyone's timetable but their own. And, frankly, there's nothing that mandates that the episodic saga even needs to have its arcs broken into trilogies/hexalogies. We could have a Star Wars tetralogy on our hands down the line, too. Or whatever.

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    But the only thing that Jammin Jedi's post implied was that there was widespread discontent with the prequels, which is, well, true. I don't think it's necessary to get triggered every time someone suggests that the prequels were a) bad or b) not well-received. It comes off as pretty combative --- not every thread needs a prequel-defending hero.

I kind of agree with this, but I also feel like there wouldn't be as much secrecy surrounding a fourth trilogy as there was leading up to Episode VII. There might be a bit more freedom for authors/the story group to tell an Aftermath-style story with more relevance to and setup for the upcoming films.

16. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    But he said "everyone". Learn to read please.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Nothing but tradition such as everyone movie must have certain lines "I have a bad feeling about this" and at least one lightsaber duel. Something that has already been broken with Rogue One.

18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    See, you're hiding behind semantics for lack of a real argument. When he says "everyone," it should be understood that it's an exaggeration to indicate that the prequels were not fan-favourites. Don't pretend that your post was an attempt to give him a lesson in dictionary definitions when it was actually a knee-jerk defensive reaction to someone daring to suggest that the prequels weren't great. Honestly it seems like you do it in every thread; after writing my post here I went over to the Yoda Dark Rendezvous thread and saw the same thing. We understand that you like the prequels --- you need to understand that others don't.

19. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Yes. I've barely even visited this site and I'm already getting tired of it. It's okay to have that opinion but you jump in at every vaguely-relevant opportunity to repeat the same opinion you've posted dozens of times already. It's not necessary.

You must be fun at parties

20. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    Uh... I see no reason to believe that he was exaggerating for effect taking into account HIS post history.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Point of View you need to stop taking things so literally. When I said that I was mainly talking about the fanbase as a whole and not every single person out there who has ever watched the prequels. We all know that no matter how popular or unpopular something is there will always be a certain group of people who still likes it or don't like it. Even the most horrid movie out there will always have its fans. For instance I watched a movie the other day that was basically just three people talking in a room about the previous ten years of their life. Most people would likely think that movie was terrible but I kind of liked it because I enjoy those low budget character driven type of stories (it's why I don't give up my dvd subscription on netflix because we can't get those types of movies off of streaming). However I fully acknowledge most people probably would be bored to tears with it and I wouldn't take issue if someone said everyone hates it because I know most people probably would.

When most of us make statements on here most of the time we are just looking at the overall picture instead of going by a case by case basis. I think most of us get that. If you didn't well hopefully you do now.

22. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    But I think that your estimates regarding PT appreciation are incorrect.

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well you are free to feel that way but it is pointless to debate this topic because most everyone would agree that the prequels were overall disappointing to the fan base.

24. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    At least you're getting more qualifiers in there.

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    And at this point you are mostly just trolling. Good day.