main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    If Reylo is actually intended for the end (IX), and TLJ is supposed to end with them being complicated enemies (the way it did), then TLJ can't have unambiguous full on romance. What it can have is seeds for romance that didn't manifest but could under different circumstances.

2. mariel_rose

mariel_rose Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 19, 2003
    I think, in my option at the moment, this Saga is about the upward motion of Kylo's redemption, unlike the the first saga which was how Anakin's's journey towards the dark, and being in the dark, while Luke's journey was to be who he needed to be, seeing the light in the darkness of his dad and becoming a good person in spite of it all.

But what does it mean by redemption? I mean if Kylo was going to be full darksider, he would of not been so affected by Rey's pushed back into his mind and he would of taken BB8 as well and destroyed his mom. So there might be redemption for Kylo, but not in the way we all are thinking. As I like to say there many kinds of death, physical death is just one of them. Anger/fear etc can kill your soul just as easily as death can kill you physically.

What I want to know is why did RJ say the hand force almost touching scene was the closest to a sex scene in start wars we'll get? Was he joking or was he saying yeah, there are hints of a physical emotional sexual tention between Kylo and Rey? I mean why have Kylo be all human if he's going to just straight up die in the end, why build all this up to just have him die? Taking off his mask for his dad, Rey and not killing his mom, etc? What's the point?

3. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    Rhetoric of "Rey\Kylo romantic tension\vibes is soooo unrecognizable or too vague" usually supported by argument "Well, some people don't see it!" So? Yeah, some viewers don't see a lot of things even if you spell them out in the movie. Rey\Kylo dynamic wasn't full-blown romance and it's clear that it wasn't the intent here - so argument "It's not that clear for some unknown people\children" proves nothing.

While you can't prove that a lot of people\children don't see it, you can show that there are a lot of people who see it just fine. Using social media metrics:

[​IMG]

Not only 53 k votes for Reylo, but even people who voted against it see "new romance between R and K"

28 Brilliant Tumblr Posts That Sum Up Reylo 26.3k shares (22 Dec 2017)
    How The Last Jedi Became the Sexiest Star Wars Movie Yet 5.5k
    Fan Theories About Rey And Kylo Ren That Will Mess With Your Head And Your Heart 35.5 k (most theories about Reylo)
    Lucasfilm confirma que "Reylo" é uma ideia que vem desde 'O Despertar da Força' 2.7k
    Star Wars: Love is the Balance - A Rey and Kylo Ren Story (Reylo) 230k views, 12k likes, 200 dislikes, 1.5k shares
    Video "Kylo Ren Interrogates Rey - Entire Scene" jumped to 2.6 mil views from 1.8 mil views after TLJ and I guess, everybody can go and read the most liked\popular comments there.
    (Data from SEOquake and Buzzsumo)

Edit: I support your point, oncafar, I just expanded that certain vibes are clear for many viewers.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Obi1fan, NileQT87, ReyRandom and 3 others like this.
  4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I love Rey, and if they do this to her character, it will be an utter travesty. <sigh>

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, a BuzzFeed poll does not equal "social media metrics." It equals a BuzzFeed poll. Which equals nothing.

CosmicDust likes this.
  6. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    Good, because I included shares from other resources and shares are basic social media metrics.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Fair enough. But we're talking a very, very small percentage of an audience here, and a complete lack of quality control for these metrics.

I don't personally care at all about whether or not fans want to see Reylo. To each his or her own. But I don't think brandishing shoddy statistics to reinforce ones personal taste is good practice. Just enjoy what you enjoy (and hope for what you want to hope for) and leave it at that.

CosmicDust likes this.
  8. mariel_rose

Jan 19, 2003
    So what do you do with a broken saber? Fix it! Are the kyper crystals intact or both broken and Rey need to get more? That and I need need need to get my hands on those Jedi texts! Can Rey read them? Will Yoda help or say they are really dry reads and not useful?

9. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    The Last Jedi novelization with Rian's input answered the question of whether Rey can read the non-Aurebesh Jedi texts. Answer: she can't.

Obi1fan, Strongbow, Birkendoc and 4 others like this.
  10. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    Yup Rey can’t but Kylo can.
    But he doesn’t need to read them, he already knows what’s in them.
    There’s a reason why Kylo wants to start a new order.
    He has the knowledge, experience and the means to do so, maybe he will after all. ;)

milena and ReyRandom like this.
  11. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I couldn't tell from the movie, but Kyber crystals have been said to be nearly indestructible in tie-ins, so I would guess the one in the saber is all right. We usually see the Force direct a Jedi hopeful to the crystals they're supposed to have, so it remains to be seen if Rey keeps the ones in Luke's weapon or finds her own (we've seen people find their own new crystal in the wild and inherit ones that once belonged to someone else -- and I could see a case being made that the saber calling to Rey in TFA was in part the crystal taking her on as their new owner). Whatever crystal Rey ends up with, much less if she repairs Luke's saber for combat or builds her own, will probably be the decision of future storytellers, with the million dollar question, to me at least, being if we see it onscreen or in a tie-in.

I don't recall for sure, but I'd believe @NileQT87 that she can't. We do know from Rey's Survival Guide that she can read and write High Galactic (e.g. Aurebesh represented as English with Arabic characters), but I don't see how that would help her read ancient script, like knowing modern-day English would help you read ancient Roman Latin.

Yoda's comment that Rey didn't "need" any of the information in there is an interesting one to make and does raise the question of if he didn't think she needed them, why did the movie make a point of showing that she saved them anyways? I get the impression that if Rey is further involved with rebuilding the Jedi Order (which the novelization seems to be saying is the wrong decision), that it would be a new one that learned from the mistakes of the past, so I could see that going either way with the texts if we see that (e.g. getting back to the source material before it was distorted over time vs. making a clean break entirely from the past).

(As far as would Kylo know how to read them and help them, I'm not aware of any evidence he could read them and I find it unlikely that he would help her in the first place; he wanted the past to die, not come back, and he's not feeling very kindly towards her, per the TLJ junior novelization.)

12. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    I thought someone said the novel said it was cracked & according to diagrams of the lightsaber it split right where the main crystal sits... however there are also focusing crystals in the handle so..... The latest Poe comic seems to show the crystal is cracked.
    Well, Kylo cracked his Jedi crystal when he tried bleeding it... oddly enough it's also red-yellow, not red, according to Pablo's new lightsaber book.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  13. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    I wasn't talking about whether or not "fans" want to see Reylo. Thanks for your advice, but I think you should reread last page in this thread.

If you can show that Reylo in TLJ is just crack niche ship which was born on Buzzfeed by "Reylos" and not in LFL's writing room and big part of audience can't see romantic undertones - good, I'll gladly read your arguments.

14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Potentially interesting to some. Focuses more on the mythical and fairy tale concepts of this.

I’d really only bother with the beginning and quit shortly after it gets into Adam and Eve because he guesses incorrectly prior to TLJ about TLJ.

15. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    Didn’t Rian say that the crystal is intact, that it’s not broken????
    I am not sure, but I remember reading it somewhere.
    Anyone knows anything about this???

Also I think Rey will build a new lightsaber for herself with a new crystal.
    :)

milena likes this.
  16. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I think this may be a very subtle but important fact. She can’t, but there may be one person left that could.

Kylo studied under luke. He may very well be the key to understanding (Prime) Jedi lore if he is fluent in that script and language. They may be working together again.

17. I_FORCE_I

I_FORCE_I Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2017
    Did Luke ever read them? Yoda even questions it and Luke replied in a way that left that in doubt. Did the novel confirm Luke did?

18. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Do you see Ben turning back into a Jedi eventually? Or helping Rey out in a different way?

19. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Honestly, I see neither of them becoming a traditional Jedi. I see them embracing the concept of the Prime Jedi that embodies a unified cosmic Force that brings light and dark together to peacefully coexist.

I’d love to see the paradigm shift where the Force schism between Jedi and Sith, light and dark is healed.

Anakin thought that as the chosen one, he was bringing Peace by eliminating the Jedi. Luke thought he was doing it by eliminating the Sith. But there was never balance. Bringing both parts of the Force would do that.

milena and RiddleMeThis like this.
  20. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I think this is the theme of this whole trilogy and how the 9 episode Skywalker saga will end on an uplifting, hopeful, and optimistic note.

milena and Birkendoc like this.
  21. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I like this theory and have wondered how it would manifest onscreen. It seems Kylo and Rey need one another to find balance and to feel whole. When separate, they're unbalanced and incomplete. Perhaps he will remain on the dark side but united in a sense with her light, and vice versa.

Classified8 and Birkendoc like this.
  22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Oh, you're right that he had a cracked crystal (explaining why his saber had an unstable blade and needed the side guard blades to keep from overloading). I guess I thought he'd found a naturally cracked crystal from square one. Him doing it actually sounds more interesting.

Also interesting to hear that Hidalgo's book (which one is this?) says that his saber has yellow in it. I suppose that would be fitting if the movies decide to capitalize on the idea of him struggling with calls to both the dark side and the light that the scrips and tie-ins have claimed often on, although from my memory of the movies, his saber is pure red in them, so I wonder what the origin of Hidalgo's info is.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  23. Dragon Jedi

Dragon Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2018
    It is written in the Fry novelization that the crystal split in two:

If Kyber crystals are like diamonds, they are the hardest natural product on Earth. They cannot be broken nor destroyed, but they can be cut and formed by another diamond = an equal.
    So, since EPIX coded name is Black Diamond, that kyber crystal in the Skyalker sword must be important, I think.

Symbolically, it made perfect sense for the crystal to split in two, if it represents the breaking up of something that should not be broken (again Boorman's Excalibur and the broken sword come to mind). The broken relationship, broken power, broken Force.
    Rey, the creative force, will mend it.
    Two crystals, two swords.
    Given her affinity with the staff, I can imagine she'll build a weapon much like Darth Maul's in TPM, two blades, two housings that can be combined into a staff or that can be used as two swords on occasion.
    If Kylo Ren were to "die" in EpIX (as I think he will), he should lose his weapon as well, since it is the symbol of Kylo Ren. There are rumors that his actual crossguard sword is his old padawan sabre that he bled when he fell to the dark side and then transformed into his actual one. When directly asked, Pablo Hidalgo refused to answer the question, so either it's in his new book (Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force) or it is important for EPIX. I haven't read the book yet but my bet is on the latter (article here).
    If it is actually his old padawan sword that he bled (the crystal, that is), it has to die with Kylo Ren. He could use the crystal to build a new one, but I don't believe he can "un-bleed" what he bled. The crystal is corrupted.
    Then Ben Solo needs a new sword. And Rey will give him the other half of hers. The Skywalker saga ends with a restored Skywalker (with another name), a healed (but transformed) sword and a galaxy hopefully in balance with dark and light united (or at least in harmony).

24. Dragon Jedi

Dragon Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2018
    Yoda's words are exactly: "That library [the place he just blew up] contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess" aka: the books that Rey already took with her.
    Apparently Luke doesn't know that Rey took the books, but Yoda does.
    And Yoda has a keen sense of humour, we know.

The books are important. Rey had a vision of that library, the books called to her but, notwithstanding her talent for languages, she cannot read them.
    But perhaps someone can.

WebLurker and IncessantRamblings like this.
  25. mariel_rose

Jan 19, 2003
    Say for instance Kylo does help Rey read the old Jedi texts......is Finn going to join their study groups with a scowl and a hand on his gun? I ask because he and Rey are not going to be separated in this movie like they did in the last one. Awkward study session! Giggles.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.