main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    LastJediKnight
    Pretty easily since they swerved so amazingly in this film. Kylo Ren, for whatever reason has chosen to become the Supreme Leader. He tried to wipe out his father’s ship and the woman he likely knew was piloting it. He framed her for the death of Snoke, did nothing to save the Resistance and spat in Luke’s face when he thought the man had come to save him from the darkside. Even his own mother…who told Han to bring the boy home has admitted he’s lost. Then there’s that final shot of Rey looking down on him, and realizing he’s beyond saving as she shuts the door in his face.

Incorrect, there’s a LOT of other places to go, the child at the end with the gift of the force indicates that.

Nope, sorry but it’s been mentioned before by KK that George Lucas original plan was to END the Skywalker saga at 9. That is WHY Rian Johnson will create a new trilogy with new characters set elsewhere in the universe. The Jedi will continue, Star Wars will continue…but the Skywalkers….they are about to pass on into legend.

Yup, she screwed up, thinking she could save Kylo Ren just like Luke saved Vader. Then she finds him trying to manipulate her, bringing up her parents in an attempt "Neg" her into joining him. Perhaps it's me but I thought those tears were for the memory of what her parents really were and not for Kylo Ren.

Edit:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/17...de-that-difficult-decision-about-reys-parents

Yeah...I'd say Reylo is finished.

WebLurker, CosmicDust, 11-4D and 2 others like this.
  2. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    You know, the more I think about it, I think that's the reason Rey was crying in the first place. Like she knows she made a stupid decision and she knows that she made a HUGE gamble that she's about to lose big time. She let herself be vulnerable around him and a knows that it was for nothing. She knows that she just risked everything to save the Resistance, but all she ended up doing was enable him to become Supreme Leader of the First Order.

In other words.

Yikes.jpg

CosmicDust and Ren Kylo like this.
  3. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I have to admit, I didn't think anyone would fail harder than Luke did in ESB, but our trio of new heroes outstripped his error by leaps and BOUNDS! At least they kept all their limbs.

Ah well, they'll do better next time.

CosmicDust likes this.
  4. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    ok yea that makes sense. and to be honest that makes me feel a bit better about her character progression

5. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Lets stop pretending that Luke didn't fail miserably in confronting Vader in 5, only to do it again to success in 6.

Showing up and merc'ing him doesn't make for much of a story. Why do you think 9 had a focus on Leia(pre-Fisher death)? She clearly wasn't going to look to kill her boy(although she wasn't opposed to Luke doing it at the end of 8), even if she came to the realization he couldn't be saved. So the core story for that movie likely involved Ren's Redemption, and her part in it, in combination with Rey being the catalyst.. in order to end the Trilogy on an up-note.

With Fisher gone, it'll likely just be Rey bringing him back from the Dark Side after starting The Gray Jedi or whatever. I'd expect at least some sort of time jump in order to get past the Leia issue, and give Rey time to build her force to take on Ren. It also gives him time to reorganize TFO in his own image and build some sort of Big Gun like the Sledgehammer to be the MacGuffin that brings them together.

ReyKenobi, Yora and Varouneire like this.
  6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The scenario is different this time, they spent all of TLJ smashing expectations. I'm sure Rey and her allies will defeat Kylo Ren, that dosen't mean redemption is on the table especially after the events of TLJ.

http://collider.com/the-last-jedi-reys-parents-explained-rian-johnson/

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/17/star-wars-last-jedi-spoilers-snoke-killed-theories/2/

Pretty telling in my opinion.

She just got finished saying her son is gone, with Luke and Rey confirming it. SHe probably won't kill him....but if he dies in battle or is captured and imprisoned that's acceptable by Leia.

So Rey is going to try and save him again....why? The entire arc of this movie was showing that things that've worked before won't work again. So why are you expecting a redemption?

WebLurker, CosmicDust and 11-4D like this.
  7. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    You seem to have glossed over that part where she saw his future.

Lol... as stated... totally wrong person for the job and completely delusional as to the movie he actually made, which punked out Kylo at every turn, including the end of the film.

That he sucks at making Star Wars movies? Yes. Pretty telling.

Ya... whatever. All is seemingly lost with Ben at the end of Act II, only to lead to a redemption at the end of Act III.

Well... so we're going with... Dark Side wins out? After RJ shed all good will afforded Disney from TFA with his firing squad storytelling, that would be hilarious to try to pull off. There are ways that can work, none of which follow what we saw in Episode 8.

Even better is your suggestion Ridley kills Ren to end 9, which makes absolutely no sense in a Star Wars film. I thought 'we win by saving what we love'? :p.

8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    So basically you're going to ignore what happened and the fact that KK and JJ signed off on it...suggesting they are in fact good with Kylo being the Big bad of this movie....interesting

As I said, Kylo may live....but I don't see redemption in his future after this one...and I think swerving away from the expected was in fact the point.

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Of course it’s a “thing”. It was absolutely central to the plot. I don’t think it’s possible to view this film with even the remotest sliver of objectivity and not see that Reylo was absolutely, at the very least, teased.

But a full blown romance this was not. And RJ left plenty of room for JJ to either explore the potential or, like Rey at film’s close, shut the door completely.

But Reylo, largely once considered a laughable fantasy by fandom at large, was a real, undeniable “thing” in TLJ. With the film released I suspect all we’ll see is even more confirmation in interviews and commentary from the cast and crew.

10. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    1. So did Padme and Luke, Vader was still redeemed
    2. Padme effectively killed herself and Luke threw himself into an abyss. There was still one more movie to go.

Reylo is a thing. Whether its a good or bad thing is up to us individually.

Personally, I have hope for Ben. Star Wars is about hope, no situation is ever hopeless. Its the second movie, its the darkest before the dawn. If we are going to argue about the symbolism of a door closing we can't ignore actual lines like 'No one is ever really gone' and 'We wont win by beating those we hate, but by saving those we love'. Leia lost hope, Luke was there to give it her back. He can't save Ben, its not his role. That doesn't mean he can't be saved.

Its up to JJ now, he can go either way. But for me personally, if he replaces the happy conclusion of 6, with a downer of the Skywalker family being extinct I will be devastated.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It will never happen. JJ will not go there, believe me, it's a done deal.

And fans should avoid getting all worked up about the idea, or this thread will go the way of the last one. Reylo exists only in your mind ;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I don't know i think they could still be related or something I don't think Reylo is a thing in this next movie the towel part was weird for me I liked the different parts that they each have that they're trying to ignore rey with her dark and kylo with his light, he still seems conflicted to me, I think Rey will experiment with darkness in order to bring Kylo down.

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Kylo still conflicted? I don’t think so at all. He wasn’t drawn to the light as in TFA, he was drawn towards ruling the galaxy with Rey. Even Snoke said that where he first sensed conflict, he now sense resolve.

14. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Yeah, when I first saw the original spoilers for TLJ last week, I didn't think we'd see Ben be redeemed in IX. However seeing the film for myself twice now, I definitely get the sense that Ben's going to get redeemed by the time IX draws to a close and that the Reylo relationship is going to play some sort of role in that happening.

Now whether or not Rey and Ben ever actually hook up and get any sort of a happy ending in IX is another matter altogether.

15. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005

He'd resolved he was going to slice Snoke in half!
    But yes, he does seem to understand what he wants more at the end. Good and Evil as a conflict is now meaningless to him. Both can be shown the door for the universe to start afresh.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Reylo can’t be discounted based off fandom assumptions. TLJ drove that home brilliantly.

There was more Reylo in this film than the vast, overwhelming majority in the fandom thought possible.

TLJ didn’t kill Reylo; it validated Reylo. It doesn’t matter where it goes because, on some level, it was allowed to exist.

So fans claiming to know outcomes, and feigning confidence, after RJ literally knocked the headcanon out of a great many of us, rings incredibly hollow now.

All this film did was convince me of what I largely suspected; if you want a clearer picture of where a SW episode is heading read the prevailing fan theories, the more assured, and long winded, the better, and then start conjecturing in the opposite direction. That automatically will start you on firmer ground.

17. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Seriously, the Reylo content in TLJ has made me go back and look over their scenes together in TFA in a whole new light. Anyone hoping that JJ kills it off for good is fooling themselves; he clearly established the potential for it there for Rian to continue and expand upon.

I went back and found a very fascinating analysis essay that was written in January 2016 about how JJ deliberately evoked the "Death & The Maiden" archetype with the key Rey and Kylo scenes in the middle part of the film, primarily in the moment where he kidnaps her. It's certainly written in a rather shippy way, but the content brings up some valid points.

Seriously, this moment right here...

[​IMG]

... is something that echoes back to an archetype of myth, fairy tales and cinema for generations.

[​IMG]

Now whether or not Reylo is a "healthy" relationship is a whole other argument to be had. But if we're arguing whether or not it's there, the answer is obvious. It is and has been there since the start of the Sequel Trilogy, to some extent. Where it goes and how it ultimately develops will depend on where JJ decides to go with the closing chapter of this trilogy.

jaqen, Hypatia, Wookiekisser and 6 others like this.
  18. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Ben and Rey share a strong connection. Two lost young persons strong in thr force. One from the light the other from the darkness.. So there's clearly somtething between them. And i dont meam romantic although yes there is some kinda of dramatic romance between them in the movie. Chances are there'll never be that "reylo" thing again...but it could, it's JJs choice now. It's a movie, everything can happen when executed well (and i thought TLJ nailed it)

19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
  20. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    From the way it was presented in the movie, it's absolutely a thing, or could be..

It's classic stockholm syndrome. Rey hates his guts, but she doesn't have the energy to stay angry at him forever. So they talk about their personal issues, since they're mentally tethered and forced to be around each other, usually getting progressively more intimate with each encounter. It wasn't romantic, but it would've become that if they carried on. They even had the shirtless scene in there to drive home that this can happen at anytime, even at their most vulnerable moments..

Is them being together "right"? Probably not, Rey deserves better. But Rian has found a way to make it at least make sense thanks to this force bond they share.

Before TLJ I would've said no chance, but now it's been made possible. We'll see where JJ takes it in 9.

Gambit00 likes this.
  21. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    Pretty much this. Reylo relationship was definetly consolidated in TLJ. If they will eventually romance, or if it´s gonna be a good relationship for them is a whole different story. But i also do not doubt that JJ can simply ignore and don´t explore this relationship any further, maybe he has a different plan for the characters than RJ had.

ReyKenobi likes this.
  22. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    She didn't see his true future. She saw the future that Snoke wanted her to see in order to get her to come to Kylo thinking she could turn him. Snoke explained all this in the throne room scene. He manipulated them both and you can see when Kylo realizes it. The camera pans back to his face immediately after Snoke's admission.

I still don't see Reylo happening. It feels to me like all of their interactions in this film were a result of Snoke's mind games and not on any true supposed romantic interest by either of them. If anything, Kylo proved to me he wants her power - nothing more.

WebLurker and CosmicDust like this.
  23. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    reylo was a troll from snoke. Then rey said "eff this" in the end. Reylo will always be a thing, but i'm sure its all wrapped up when it comes to canon.

24. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Not quite the right thread, but I felt i didnt need to open a new one just to get a silly question answered. Here it goes:

People are saying all over the place that the connection between Rey and Kylo was forged by Snoke. When did this happen? TFA? TLJ? I'm lost.

25. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    TLJ. Snoke explicity told them.

26. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    TLJ. Snoke explicity told them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.