main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We’d need Kylo removing part of the Falcon’s engine* so that Rey can’t go see Finn, in the interest of her “protection” because Finn is a “traitor”.

...*Not that part. L3 would zap him.

2. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    I liked how Ben went from 'let me be your teacher' to 'let's rule the galaxy together', I think he must have been very impressed by Rey.

3. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    He should be by now she gets the best of him at times.

milena and Birkendoc like this.
  4. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    You know, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a legitimate case for Reylo. If people can see something great in toxic couples like Spike/Buffy and Damon/Elena (both being relationships involving murderous vampires) I'm sure there is a good argument out there.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    People have made the comparisons to Spike/Buffy and Revan/Bastila.

I just can’t get into it. I don’t have the patience to watch people make bad romantic relationship choices on screen. It’s not entertaining to me at all.

6. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    It's also not entertaining when people in real life make bad romantic relationship choices.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    @anakinfansince1983

Like I get the tension, the chemistry, and the symbolism, but...to me, it just makes for a great hero-villain dynamic more than anything else. It's like how every great superhero has that one specific archenemy that gets to them more than anyone else. Like Batman and the Joker, Spider-Man and Green Goblin/Venom/Doc Ock, or Superman and Lex Luthor.

Oh no, don't do Miss Whitney Elizabeth Houston like that [face_talk_hand]

Solo88 likes this.
  8. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Sorry, but I need someone to do a Rey and Kylo parody to this song.

9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I’ve read the arguments and found them fundamentally flawed. The two biggest and most common problems:

1. The enormity of Kylo’s murder of Han and it playing out in a way that maximized the visceral horror of it. Anakin killed younglings - but offscreen.

2. There simply isn’t time or narrative space to get Kylo to the place the other villains were at when the actual romance began. There’s a reason those redemption arcs are so long.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    To me, there was a time and place to start building a good healthy foundation for Reylo in such a way that Rey would benefit. And that time and place was TLJ, provided work went into the right areas to bridge the divide formed in TFA. Provided Kylo's actions towards Rey were addressed in a way where it would make some kind of sense for her to feel sympathetic towards him.

And TLJ didn't do that.

So to me, it's dead.

11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    My firmest spec for Kylo in TLJ was a robust redemption arc, no matter the parentage thing. Especially if Reylo was going to happen.

Nope.

This just isn’t an enemies-to-lovers setup. The trope has key elements and reasons how and why it works...

12. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah, but see my thing is that a lot of other people felt that it did. I've even seen people say that Reylo is their main reason for watching TLJ. I'm just trying to understand the perspective. I don't even like Spike/Buffy. It's toxic and insane, but...I get it. It also doesn't hurt the main character's story (at least not that much). Reylo does...nothing for Rey as a character.

See, I don't know because that patricide thing is something else. Pretty big red flag if you ask me.

godisawesome likes this.
  13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Reylo, from what I can tell, rests in part on the idea of Rey as a self-insert character, like in a videogame or YA romance.

Red flag that it’s not an enemies-to-lovers setup, yes. But still - “There’s still light in him,” etc. Imo textbook foreshadowing. I’m very confident he’ll be redeemed; imo it’s his survival I’m unsure about.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I've always thought that some of the basic core appeal of the concept for Reylo was just the simple Romeo and Juliet love-on-opposing sides idea, mixed with some of the idea of having a Yin-Yang relationship eventually form if Kylo fell and Ben returned, still a little dark.

I understood why some people hoped for Reylo after TFA; we had two movies in which something could be done to address the patricide, and in which Kylo could give quite a bit -- I always figured that any Reylo relationship after TFA had to have Kylo give and not take, if that makes sense. But then TLJ came out, and Kylo was all give and no take. @JoJoPenelli is right in that a lot of the current Reylo stuff is very much in the line of a Twilight-esque self insert in Rey's position for people who are a little enamored with Kylo. I mean, Kylo's appeals to Rey don't work with the character who survived his actions in TFA, but might work with someone who views Kylo from outside the universe and can easily compartmentalize his actions out of the way.

15. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I guess I understand what you're saying.

I don't know, I think the movies are pretty clear that the dark side/light side Force model is how things work, with degrees of ambiguity thrown in (like the Bendu), and that others access the Force in different ways then the Jedi/Sith methods. As far as "balance," I'm not sure where that goes, although Star Wars "theology" is kind of an odd thing; it takes a lot from Eastern spiritualism (e.g. becoming one with the supernatural that exists after death, the duality of good and evil in some aspects), but there's a lot from Western ideology, which has had a heavy Judeo-Christian influence (e.g. some semblance of natural law and that good must win over evil, some form of afterlife, views on redemption, etc.).

In other words, Star Wars has arguably taken two mutually incompatible worldviews and tried to put them together and iron out the seams. No wonder some of these things are pretty confusing.

16. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    In a simplistic-yet-Campbellian nutshell - East meets West.

That’s what I’m describing. There’s naturally a distinct moral dimension, but I think that the “dark side” as an evil, compulsive, corrupting power is not a natural part of the Force.

I think the best in-movie indication of this (from what I can tell, at least) is the two “dark side” caves, in ESB and Achoo.

The cave in Achoo, especially, doesn’t seem “evil.” In fact, it appears to be coded heavily “yin.” It’s a sea cave created by the tides, interestingly enough. It has a mirror - ebb and flow...note the “wave” effect (like an audience in a sports stadium) when Rey snaps her fingers.

[​IMG]

Sound familiar?

Interestingly enough, Luke is above, and a woman’s voice can be heard below.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  17. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    No joke. No parody.

For the people in this thread who are legitimately captivated by this strange toxic opposites attract mix there are a ton of pop songs for mixes of any of want to. Pop music thrives on toxic relationships.

Here are a few that come to mind:

Now, most of these kinds of songs are sung from the perspective of the female in the toxic relationship but if anyone is feeling brave and wants to try to cut up a weird video more from Kylo Ren’s perspective (and I fully admit that this has the potential to come off more unintentionally comedic due to how evil he is through 2 films ) but if you’re feeling brave... this song from the Black Keys in a weird way could work for him and the idea that this guy could rule a galaxy if only he could stop having these feelings for Rey that keep getting him into dangerous spots with her.

Cutting something to this iconic song would be an even bigger risk but could be interesting if edited well enough...

18. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t think LFL is romanticizing a toxic romance.

19. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    More songs to consider edits against for any Reylo fans out there:

20. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    Not at the moment, but you could definitely make a case for Anakin and Padme in Attack of the Clones. Even, the iconic Han and Leia couple has some toxic implications.

21. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Last song for Reylo fans to consider editing against for me today. I promise.

I won't run away no more, I promise
    Even when I get bored, I promise
    Even when you lock me out, I promise
    I say my prayers every night, I promise
    I don't wish that I'm spread, I promise
    The tantrums and the chilling chats, I promise
    Even when the ship is wrecked, I promise
    Tie me to the rotten deck, I promise
    Even when I get bored, I promise
    Even when the ship is wrecked, I promise
    Tie me to the rotten deck, I promise

22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t see those examples as even vaguely analogous.

When the word “abusive” is brought up by someone directly assisting with the story, it’s not going to be a canon romance.

23. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I could write a counterargument but I honestly don't see how this psychoanalysis of Reylo fans is relevant to the characters themselves since it isn't the fans who are writing or otherwise influencing the direction of the story.

Valency Jane, milena and Birkendoc like this.
  24. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I have said for a long time that I don't think episode IX will end with them romantic in any way. Lucasfilm are too smart to go with something as controversial as that. I do think that if he's ousted and becomes an uneasy ally of the Resistance effort that he may do just enough to be allowed to escape and live on as an atoner.

The songs for the Reylo fans are more about the chemistry they could have had or could have long into the future in the EU should they cross paths again after IX ends. The idea is more that because he was so awful he ruined his chances with someone who could have been the most amazing person he'll ever have a chance to be with again in his life. It's more about how if these two have this kind of chemistry when he's been at his absolute worst... and selfish and awful... what could have been had he never been corrupted, and he'd never chosen the dark path? Perhaps fate would have brought her to the temple some day and these two could have met and bonded very differently. That's what's intriguing.

25. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Exactly.

Seriously, why do people get up in arms over what other people like or are interested in. How does my way of enjoying the saga influence other people's enjoyment to the point where I need to be told I'm wrong. It's fiction. I can like whatever I want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.