main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    By all means, argue with people who are defending Snoke; I have yet to see the post here that says Snoke was a great guy, someone else is responsible for his torturing Rey and throwing Kylo across the room, it must have been [insert someone else here] who made Snoke do all those things. Stating that Kylo is personally responsible for his own decisions is not “defending Snoke.” In fact, if (general) you think that Snoke isn’t getting enough of a pushback on these forums for his behavior, maybe that’s because it really isn’t needed—because no one is suggesting that Snoke’s behavior is not Snoke’s fault.

I don’t even know where to begin with the idea that not being allowed to blame other people for one’s actions is equated with being born evil. Personal responsibility is a mark of evil now? Really?

Snoke is responsible for Snoke’s choices, not Kylo’s choices. Kylo is responsible for Kylo’s choices.

2. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    For me, Rey is already the example of balance. That is why she matters. She assimilates the light and dark and makes no distinction between the two.When meditating with Luke in Lesson 1, she goes straight to dark yet is not consumed by evil, hatred, etc. It is just who she is. When she dives into the dark cave, she is neither seduced, corrupted or altered. And it seems like she is using the dark when she is on the offense with Luke as they spar in the rain, yet she is neither cruel, evil, nor vindictive.

Likewise, she taps into the light as well. The moving boulders at the end of TLJ shows that. She is driven by light-side motives--compassion. She is calm, she is centered when she moves them.

But neither completely define her. She is not this image of pure virtue. She is a fluid duality of light and dark. She has not been corrupted the the masters of either side that would try to bleed the light out of her if she followed the Sith or dark masters. She has solid attachments to others and does not surrender her passion, anger or grief like she would if she followed the traditional Jedi education.

She is beyond what the masters seek to mold. I strongly believe that balance is not about suppressing and destroying one half of one's self in order to be purely dark or purely light. That appears to be an artificial construct that ends in destruction of that order. Neither the Jedi nor the Sith are sustainable. Both collapse under their own dogma.

Contrast that with Kylo. He is also the duality of light and dark, but he has been apprentices with both a light and dark masters and never found balance. Each tried to rid Ben Solo of the opposite entity. He was unbalanced when he was Luke's student. The dark part of him was so feared that Luke considered murdering him in his sleep to extinguish it. It was something caused his parents to liken him to a monster. It was something to be ashamed of when it came to his light-side adherent family.

Then he became Snoke's apprentice, Snoke challenged him to extinguish the light within and that became a source of shaming and suffering. Snoke shames and belittles him for his inability to destroy the light. Even killing his own father, which he thought would kill the light, and it didn't work. It was still there.

And then there's the passage in Fry where Snoke intentionally kept him unbalanced through his tutelage, a "vessel that could never be filled."

In each circumstance, his masters reinforced the belief that one half of his existence was wrong and needed to be destroyed. That is why he is a turbulent disaster.

So why does Rey matter?

To me, at least, it is becoming clear that any path forward with an order of force users is going to not be based on strict adherence to one school of thought. If a new order goes through Rey as the example of balance, it will be one that accepts the duality of light and dark and the harmony that can be found where neither attribute is perceived as wrong, where there is strength in using both but never becoming consumed by either one. She is the one to hasten the new order of jedi where light and dark are package deal and equal partners in becoming an instrument of the Force, not an adept using the Force as an instrument.

In other words, she is the paradigm shift and the proto-new Jedi.

Maybe that is what the prime jedi was all about before a possible schism (much like Paradise lost) creating the Force related "fall of humanity."

Perhaps Rey is the one to lead by example, and this is where she interfaces with Kylo (and let's take the romance angle out of this for this discussion) on a potential redemption arc.

And before anyone has a cow, let's agree to the statement: Rey cannot save Kylo. Only Kylo can save Kylo.

But if his journey is one toward redemption, he cannot attain that unless he reconciles the two sides of himself. He needs to accept that he will always be light and will always be dark and stop being at war with himself. He needs centering and balance in order to heal, reconcile and move forward with accountability and atonement.

Yet so far, he has been taught that half of him was "wrong." His masters both failed in helping him find inner peace, but as appears to be a kindred spirit with Rey on several levels, he needs to understand that sort of duality within. It's not something he can learn from a text. And it is something neither of his masters could teach him.

While he wouldn't be Rey's student, there is a hell of a lot he can learn from her example by embracing one's true self and letting the Force move through yourself instead of trying to bend the Force to your will.

She can show him how to "Kill the past", only it isn't a person or a faction, it's an incorrect schools of thought.

That is why she matters. She brings together light and dark without conflict and without judgement. That paradigm shift is what ends the inner conflict of the Force. It is one entity--light and dark definitions go away. She simply uses the entire Force.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Your list of Snoke's crimes is really short (shorter than your list of Kylo's crimes) and I notice it only includes the things we've seen him physically do. It's also strange that you left off the destruction of Hosnian Prime even though he commanded it. Yes, Snoke is responsible for Snoke's choices, but are you really only taking into account the things he's physically done onscreen? I think that is seriously the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how much power/influence he has had over others without even needing to be there in person. He takes credit for what he's accomplished through his manipulation yet people dismiss the character as a total non-factor. I think it's disingenuous to make statements like "Snoke is responsible for Snoke's choices" while failing to hold him responsible for manipulating the son of Han and Leia, which he takes credit for too, even though that didn't make your list either.

4. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I was unaware that Han was Force sensitive. When did Han train his consciousness in this way? Is this in one of the novels as well?

This.

5. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Dark and Light.

Action and Inaction.

It’s difficult to tell how much of this of Fry and how much of this is RJ/the SG, but in the novel, when faced with the choice whether or not to kill Kylo, and again at the end when se sits in the Falcon, there’s reference to that - action and inaction, or working your will on the Force vs letting the Force work through you. It’s a far subtler sort of duality in the ST thus far; it’s explored in some depth in “Fishing in the Deluge” from LoLS and is referenced re the Dark Side/mirror cave (which, I believe, “Deluge” directly connects to). I’ll also note that Luke’s final act of heroism was a balance of inaction and action - that, I believe, is essentially what “peace and purpose” means.

Luke ended RotJ “balanced” in the light/dark sense, but not in the action/inaction sense. I believe Rey is ending her “Luke’s OT Arc 2.0” balanced in both senses of the term.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @RiddleMeThis : I wasn’t even trying to make a comprehensive list of Snoke’s crimes. You are, with the post you just made, trying to play the game of “Tally Snoke’s crimes against Kylo’s crimes in the Kylo and Rey thread, and if you don’t want to do that, you obviously think Snoke is an OK guy and you are biased against Kylo.”

I’m not going to play, and attribute the “Snoke is an OK guy” mindset to me if you want; your attributing the mindset to me does not make it my actual mindset, nor does it negate my point that Kylo is fully responsible for his own choices. Snoke can be blamed for quite a bit of acts off topic for this thread and a few on topic for it; but unless we get a brainwashing revelation in IX, “making” Kylo do anything is not one of those acts.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    These all hit on just how flexible and important the timeframe of Snoke's influence on Ben before he became Kylo is. We know that Ben was apparently seen only as "troubled," with the "propensity for the darkside" mentioned in Bloodline, and what Han perceived as "too much Vader in him." But we don't know if that was because of Snoke's influence or a matter of temperment. Similalry, we don't know the depth of Snoke's influence on Kylo. The younger Kylo is, and the more controlling and rooted Snoke's influence is, the more Kylo becomes a clear victim of Snoke, the more the audience can sympathize with him. And I'd argue that if Kylo were the primary protagonist, he's need that clarification made early on in the ST, instead of postponed to the climactic chapter.

Which builds on my argument that Kylo's role as an antagonist is more important to the ST than as a tritagonist beneath protagonist Rey and deuteragonist Finn (here using the ranking designation instead of the equal-level designation). Kylo's portrayal so far makes him a great villain, but would make him a poor hero, and he's been shrouded in such a way that he actually can't work as the protagonist center of IX; even now, his actual agency and motivation is obfuscated by both TFA and TLJ for the benefit of the plot and Rey's arc. Instead, he's perfectly set up to be an antagonist; figuring out his origin becomes the key to the heroes breaking him... But I'd also argue that Ben thus far is so underdeveloped even as a concept that he couldn't serve as heroic cast member for any more than a minimum amount of screen time.

Because it's possible that Ben doesn't exist, at least, not yet, because arguably the most sympathetic portrayal they could give Ben would be have Snoke basically telepathically assaulting and violating Ben's mind from the time he was very young, to the extent of basically giving Ben dark side induced schizophrenia.

WebLurker and civilsecret like this.
  8. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    Yes, I think this could only happen if Kylo has already made some effort on his part to seek that forgiveness, or at least acknowledge the error of his ways.

You should consider reading the next few sentences in the post I made.

9. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Except Leia said, "No, it was Snoke." And there is a passage in the TLJ novel with Snoke's reflections on how he used Ben to get Luke to restart the Jedi order, which aligns with Leia's statement.

--

Regarding the question of why Rey matters, Rey is going to pave the way for more Jedi in the future. She's like Prime Jedi 2.0.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, but I'm arguing that we don't know how long that'd been the case. The situation changes depending on whether Ben only started expressing Snoke's influence when he was in his 20's, putting Ben more at fault, or if he was influenced back before he'd even hit puberty, which would take a lot of his agency and blame away.

I'm hoping and thinking it *should* be the little kid aspect, but I fear someone in LFL could think that the older one works.

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Well, perhaps it could be dependent on what kind of villain they want Kylo to end as, if a villain at all. I don't remember if any general age was given when Ben was destroying things with the Force? Or what source that was even from?

12. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I don't need or want a story about brainwashing or lack of agency. I never said Kylo wasn't personally responsible for his own choices/actions. That's been your accusation toward me. I have been arguing that Snoke has accountability, and you have repeatedly responded by accusing me of saying Kylo isn't responsible. These two things aren't mutually exclusive. If you don't hold Snoke responsible for manipulating the Skywalker family, which again the character takes full gloating credit for, then I must admit that I don't know what you do hold him accountable for.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  13. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Here's the passage from the novelization (pg 81) as Kylo approaches in his Tie fighter and Leia can sense him:

Adolescence--it's a broad range, speaking from a professional day job standpoint. It's anywhere between about 11 and 21ish. So middle school through the end of college if you want a range.

This is a much different description of an adolescent Ben Solo compared to the younger child that Claudia Gray writes about in a brief passage in Bloodline who is school age, running through the house and happy with a cadre of friends giggling and absolute filthy. That passage seemed intentional in setting up a point in time.

What changed? Isolated, angry adolescent appears to be another time point. Is this the smaller window where Snoke began his influence. What made him go from a happy little boy with friends to an adolescent full of fury?

Snoke had been watching him "from the beginning" if you use the ADF novelization of TFA. So when exactly did watching transform into action? Was it in that window between happy child to isolated tween/teen?

It tells me he was shipped off in adolescence, so anywhere between the the beginning of puberty and and his early twenties. But what was the inciting incident. Getting mad and smashing a vase with your mind can't be it. It had to be something more? Is that sentinel event what we will get as a back story?

14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    This is making me wonder if there is a cut off for when people are sympathetic vs. not. For me sympathy isn't really dependent on age, though degree of culpability/agency might be. I imagine that he couldn't have been *too* young because SW generally is about choices and I don't believe this story will deny the villain his choices.

In general though that is how I think of the character as well: stolen.

ETA: @Birkendoc it would make more sense regarding sending him away if he is younger than 18, as past a certain age, he wouldn't respond so well to being "sent away." That kind of implies a kid who is not independent, is what I mean.

15. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    @oncafar He had to be younger than the age of majority when he was sent away. If you listen to Han and Leia's conversation in TFA about trying to get their son back, Leia makes it very clear that the decision to send Ben to Luke was one she alone made. It was a unilateral decision, one a child could not veto. "That's why I wanted him to train with Luke. I just never should have sent him away. That's when I lost him. That's when I lost you both."

Ben Solo was a minor in some capacity when he was sent to his uncle because the agency to do so solely rested with his mother.

16. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    Bloodline doesn't say this or even hint at it.

The book is clear that Leia had not told Ben, or even Chewie, because she had such strong negative feelings about Vader. A direct quote: "She needed to explain to Ben that they'd kept from telling him because they'd wanted to find the right moment. She realised now she'd been fooling herself."

Don't make stuff up.

17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t think wobbits deliberately “made stuff up,” though I agree there’s nothing I’ve found that suggests Ben (unaffected by Snoke) had any particularly dark side leanings.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @oncafar : There is definitely a cutoff for when/why people are sympathetic or not, and that’s the crux of the debates on Kylo. I wouldn’t say it’s arbitrarily age. For me it involves exactly what happened to a person and the degree and sensical nature of his or her reaction.

All the commentary about Snoke—if we could get some information on screen depicting Snoke as an old family friend who came across the way Palpatine did in the PT (kindly old man) and then molested Kylo, I could sympathize with Kylo more, although killing Han and Lor San Tekka is still a bridge too far. As a child he would not know who and what Snoke is—as a 30-year-old, I want to know why he is still listening, and especially why he is still choosing evil after killing Snoke. It would make more sense if he killed Snoke to relieve himself of whatever predatory behavior Snoke was inflicting and then ran as far away from it as he could, and it would also make more sense if he took his father’s offer to escape the predatory behavior and go home.

And all that aside...we did not get much of anything on screen about Snoke and what we did get was vague. If we as an audience are going to be asked (by the writers) to fill in the blanks of what happened to Kylo and then are told that we are “supposed to” sympathize with him based on those filled-in blanks and/or understand why Rey sympathizes with him based on those filled-in blanks, it should not be a surprise that the sympathy factor does not resonate. Not everyone is going to fill in the blanks the same way.

19. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wobbits may be referring to the moments in Bloodline when Ben heard his parents arguing about his outbursts of anger but it’s true that we don’t yet know the history of Snoke’s propaganda and influence over him yet.

20. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    I think that was in The Last Jedi novelization as Kylo is musing about his parents as he is flying above the Raddus' bridge:

page 82:

No age is given.

21. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    It's been almost a year since I read it but I got an impression that Leia had seen something force related- tantrums/tendencies etc in Ben and felt she couldn't help him with it from lack of her own training and thus sent him to Luke. I also thought there was a line about "Vader in him" or a convo with Han about concern for the dark side in the bloodline. I could be mashing up a bunch of different books I read but that was the overall impression I got so I'm not "making stuff up" out of some hidden intent or malice. It was simply the explanation I got from it.

I also understood from my reading of it that she wasn't confident about any discussion with Ben because she says something about Luke telling him what happened with Anakin's redemption since she wasn't there she couldn't speak with the same positive feeling Luke had towards their father. I also felt that the reveal in the senate hastened her message to him because she even says to someone, can't remember if it's Casterfo or Carise that she hadn't yet told her son.

You know what, I love the book, it appears I need to re-read it tomorrow in any case.

@Ender_and_Bean I do remember reading that passage from someones posting of the TLJ novel here on the board. I need to remember which book talks about Leia's convo with Han about her worries about dark side in the bloodline.

Valency Jane likes this.
  22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I wouldn’t be surprised if those fits/tantrums/whatnot were caused by Snoke tbh.

23. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    @wobbits you are incorrect.

Bloodline makes no mention of tantrums or behavior issues. Ben Solo is a happy child. Later he is mentioned off on a radio silent mission as Luke’s assistant when news of the Vader parentage is revealed.

What is never metntioned: why he was sent to Luke. The book does not cover any of the in-between happy child playing with friends running though the house and going Off on this radio silent mission with Luke.

The only book that mentioned potential problems is the last jedi novelization

Worries about a “dark shadow over Ben” come in the Aftermath series. It can be taken two ways: Ben carries darkness or that dark shadow is Snoke upsetting Ben when he was still in utero. It has never been teased out which is the answer.

24. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I just vaguely remember something going on because it felt like Leia was still in that mindset from ROTJ where she tells Luke he has a power she could never understand and have. I wondered if she was afraid to try learning more on her own because of Vader? Something gave me the impression that she didn't feel she could help Ben with whatever he was going through.

Darn skippy I'll be reading tomorrow and taking notes.

25. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Didn't I just post and say that I could have mashed up a bunch of books as well as concede to Ender that I added in the snippet from TLJ?

Yes I do recall Leia not being able to get in touch with him because she didn't know exactly where he was with Luke.

And if the book does not cover the inbetween childhood play etc then how does it say Ben Solo was a happy child?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.