main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    TLJ. Snoke explicity told them.

2. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    I think that part needs to wait for the novel to be released, here you are simply going on a tangent with your own headcanon. Snoke only got them to 'see ' each other. Nowhere in the film does it stipulate that Snoke was manipulating her visions.

Wookiekisser likes this.
  3. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005

He never says, but it lasts beyond his death suggesting its a door that can't be closed.

ReyKenobi likes this.
  4. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    Snoke did say it in the movie.

5. grungebunny

Jul 20, 2005

He said he bridged the minds but he didn't say when it happened. Maybe I misunderstood the question!

6. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    That's right. I remember it now. Definitely need to see this movie again since I simply forgot this. Thanks!

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Yep Reylo are canonically finished.

Just like Rey is surely Luke's daugther/niece/second cousin once removed.

After everything that happened, and didn't, in TLJ I would think we'd all learned a valuable lesson about humility.

8. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    This, it was implied that he bridged the connection in the events of TLJ (when Kylo and Rey talked to each other despite the distance). But i watched it only once, so there´s room for mistake.

9. grungebunny

Jul 20, 2005

It felt to me from how it was presented he wasn't there turning it off and on. He did something and then let everything flow naturally as he knew the outcome. Kylo's conflicted personality would be bait for a do-gooder. And when Snoke is dead, that connection didn't go away. Whatever he did its still there.

ReyKenobi likes this.
  10. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    The only lesson learned... is that these movies are being made by crackpots. In case you didn't notice, Star Wars is pulling 56% on Rotten Tomatoes. The movie is being wholly rejected by the audience.

Remember that time when we thought that the people who make these films were actually good at their jobs? Ya.. not so much anymore. Rian Johnson needs to get gone from Star Wars. Turns out he was just another fan theorist whose headcanon was worse than anybody ever imagined.

KSennia likes this.
  11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Why is it that the posters who crowed the loudest, beat their chests the hardest, the ones who told us all we were wrong about our conjecture...

Are the ones attacking Rian Johnson the hardest?

It's almost like the two notions are related, no?

12. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    Don't hold yourself in such high esteem. I don't even know or care about what your 'conjecture' was, nor am I in any way telling you you were wrong about whatever that was. I don't even particularly care they went another direction from how I would have gone.

I'm addressing the movie and its creator and how badly both were delivered, as witnessed by the Rotten Tomatoes score and the extreme blowback that has been happening.

Remember the days when it was 'well... whatever answer they go with we'll be happy with?'. Nobody factored in that it would actually be no answers at all. Snoke? Nope. Rey? Insignificant. Luke? An out-of-character sociopath bent on killing his student.

I really do hope the box office for this falls off a cliff now that everybody is fully aware of what they've done here. Taking a hit to the wallet for this junk is really the only thing they're going to understand.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Deadline already debunked the RT audience score and the entire notion of mass "blowback". I suggest you head over there, assuming you're interested in actual facts, not fan fantasy.

Nobody factored in that Rey could turn out to be a "nobody"? Now you know that's a lie. Let's not.

It's unfortunate that you want the film to fail just because you didn't get what you wanted, what you swore would happen.

Thankfully, the film is doing extremely well, and will continue to.

The revolution has been televised. And cancelled after one episode.

Your entire reaction suggests otherwise.

14. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    Who is Deadline? It is what it is.

In case you hadn't noticed, it made $220 million this weekend. Its impossible at this point for the film to fail.

That last part is your opinion, as is mine. We'll see how the legs play out.

Whatever the hell that means.

And it seems to me that you're just angling for a way to spike some metaphorical football. I was wondering who would be the one to try that, nobody else has... and I certainly don't care enough to poke anyone over any theory, only the director andthe movie we got. I'm not surprised you were quite willing.

We finally have a movie to talk about, please stick to what we got.

15. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Nope. I didn't go into this film with any specific expectations regarding these two characters that would constitute head canon. After admitting he manipulated the visions they saw he mocks Rey saying she was not wise enough to realize that Kylo was not going to betray him or not wise enough to resist the temptation to come and try to turn Ren. He also mocks Kylo for acting on what the vision showed him. I've seen the film three times so far. I will take pen and paper to get the exact quote on the next viewing.

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

#Irony

Moving on.

Thoughts on Reylo?

Ben-Solo likes this.
  17. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I think the notion of "Reylo" can only be talked about now in how it will shape the direction of IX and it's impact on the galaxy; obviously we have no idea what JJ Abrams has in store but I do believe they will continie to force skype throughout IX until a climatic conflict where there ultimate relationship will be defined. Will Rey continue to show Ben humanity, will Ben continue to be selfish in his desire to turn him; as to the romantic aspect I think that door is closed as quickly as Rey closed the door to the Millenium Falcon, I think she will now move on to Poe. But that doesn't mean she still doesn't recognize his conflict and that she will try one more time to turn him. If he's willing to accept the fate that comes with it

jaqen likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The door literally closed on Reylo. I will admit though that it had much more of a presence in this TLJ than I thought it would.

WebLurker and Ben-Solo like this.
  19. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Can we lock this thread though :p. I still want my pony for Christmas Chiz

20. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    I was certain for two years that Rey was going to be Skywalker - she ended up nobody and I love it the way they presented it. So one thing TLJ taught me is to say never. I hated idea of Reylo... now I don't know. I can't imagine how they would do it, but if they would present it in a believable way, I'm all for it.

WebLurker, Camaro, Amethhyst and 2 others like this.
  21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Generally my point of view, though I can't see a believable way Rey falls in love with Kylo that doesn't destroy her credibility as a character. We'll see!

WebLurker and hermiona52 like this.
  22. ReyKenobi

ReyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Dec 29, 2015
    I think my only real questioning about the Snoke forged bond is the fact that they still were connected after he died (Ben also seemed really torn up by Rey's choice to close the door on him). There were also references in the TFA script and novelization that points to Rey and Ben already having some type of instant connection, so I'm not sure that I fully trust that Snoke made that bond for them. I'd say he either just brought it to light and made it a bit more evident to them, or he tried to manipulate it/them by saying he created the bond. When Ben and Rey fought together, they were completely in-sync. I think there's clearly more to their bond than what Snoke had said.

I don't know if they'll go in a romantic direction after this movie, and that's the same thing I said after TFA...and I'm also certainly not saying that Rey and Ben will get married and live happily ever after (that'd be sort of a terrible ending), but I definitely can't wait to see where they go with this. Their bond in Last Jedi was way more than I anticipated to see (especially so soon), and I thought it was really interesting.

Darth Gummybear and jaqen like this.
  23. filmgeek32

filmgeek32 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 18, 2016
    kylo lied about rey killing snoke so they are not getting together

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I don't think Rey needs to "fall in love" with Kylo Ren for there to be some semblance of Reylo.

Because it was there in TLJ. And I don't believe she was in love with him.

I think they're doing something so much more nuanced than that with these two characters, and many people, including a lot of Reylo shippers, are missing the nuance for being wedded to concepts like "falling in love", "getting married", consummation, children, salvation.

And I get it. Star Wars isn't known for it's suitability. Yet that's exactly what TLJ offers.

Perhaps Reylo just exists somewhere in the grey?

PantherEyes and ReyKenobi like this.
  25. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    The Reylo thread of The Last Jedi ends tragically but I'm surprised that people think that all that chemistry, affinity and understanding is going to be tossed out so we can have a story where the pure and noble Rey puts down the twisted and wicked Kylo Ren. The final Force bond scene in the movie put an end to nothing but the arc at hand, reinforcing Kylo's longing, regret and conflict and Rey's intense disappointment. J.J. established the Reylo dynamic in the first place, so I am fully confident that he will continue to take Rey and Kylo in interesting directions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.