main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    I see people saying "Reylo is canon" or "Reylo is never happening." Nothing is canon and never assume anything. It's possible it could happen. Some people saw their dynamic as romantic and some do not. Personally I have a hard timing see Kylo as a romanceable person. Villains can be charming or charismatic but those aren't qualities I see in him. But again, anything is possible.

2. ReyKenobi

ReyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Dec 29, 2015
    I totally agree. If they were done developing something between these two characters (and I'm not saying it'll inherently be romantic), I doubt Kylo would have looked so distraught after she closed the door on him, and I doubt Rey would have taken so long to do so.

3. ReyKenobi

ReyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Dec 29, 2015
    Personally, when I use the word "reylo," I don't mean something exclusively romantic. I generally just am talking about their connection in a non-familial sense, and saying Reylo just sort of shortens that. Edit: So when I feel like "reylo was canon" in Last Jedi, what I mean to say is that the movie explored their bond to one another a lot and it's undeniable that there is/was something between them. Again, I don't necessarily mean romantic.

WebLurker, MichaelSkellig and jaqen like this.
  4. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    I like that idea. TLJ presented a more mystical view on the Force. It's not just life or goodness, it's decay, cold... balance between it. What if they go that route with Reylo. Nothing physical, but their bond is something that allows them to contact on the deepest level. If that makes any sense :p

ReyKenobi likes this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I'd like to remind people that Luke's actions after his parentage reveal leave the strong impression that the door is closed on them. That he's ultimately rejected Vader as father, to the point of suicide.

One film later...

Rey closed the door on Kylo...in TLJ. If this were Episode IX, we could talk in absolutes. It's not.

6. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    While Snoke does say in TLJ that he was the one responsible for bridging Rey and Kylo's minds together with the Force, I actually do suspect he might have been lying there or that his ego made him think he'd created it rather than actually just tapping into something that was already there. That would explain why the Force Bond is still there at the end of the film after Snoke's already been dead for awhile.

Furthermore, The Force Awakens did seem to indicate that Rey and Kylo had already forged some sort of link between one another during the Interrogation scene. Pretty sure it's alluded to even further in the script form of the scene too.

I don't really care either way if Snoke made the Force Bond or not, but I do think there's much more wiggle room to argue that he was either incorrect and/or flat-out lying through his teeth than the rising argument that Kylo lied to Rey about who her parents are.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I've now seen the film twice, with six different people; 2 diehards, the rest really causal fans.

Reylo was on nobody's radar. It wasn't a "thing" for any of these men.

It is now. They all were like, woo, what's happening between Rey and Kylo? They all noticed the sexual tension.

I don't see how anyone can walk away from this film and not realize that RJ did this on purpose.

8. Kylo Rey

Kylo Rey Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2017
    That closing the door scene just means: "You've chosen your path and I chose mine; until we meet again".

I actually liked what RJ did with the Kylo Rey relationship, but I am sure that JJ will tear it up and end it in episode 9. TLJ was a massive improvement over TFA

Camaro likes this.
  9. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I really hope Reylo isn't a thing and after the "You're no one, but not to me" giant abusive relationship red flag I really hope JJ is smart enough not to make it a thing.

10. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    No matter what Kylo does people still think Rey's gonna fall in love with him and/or create a new force concept with him, so be careful not to burn yourself out. Episode IX could end with Kylo killing Finn and Poe and Rose right in front of Rey and Rey escaping. They'd sitll think it would happen. As for the Force bond argument, Rey needs to choose her own path and not let her path be dictated by what the force supposedly wants. Otherwise it's a moot point since she tried doing what the force supposedly wanted and Kylo didn't change AT ALL. he got worse big time.

But hypocrisy is rampant on these threads so again if someone is really adamant, don't waste your time trying to use evidence against their argument. I promise you it won't change.

Ren Kylo likes this.
  11. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    Sexual tension? Are you talking about when she tells him to put his shirt back on? Because they were barely together in the film and I felt no chemistry between Daisy or Adam. It's all open to interpretation, but I felt no "sexual tension" between them.

11-4D, wobbits and Ren Kylo like this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    There was more tension between the Milk-thing and Luke than between Rey and Kylo IMO.
    What I can think is that they both end up in a relationship similar to Magneto and Xavier.

11-4D, Ren Kylo and skybender like this.
  13. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

I agree, JJ will avoid a full romantic relationship between the two. However, the romantic tension will continue.

Kylo's attraction to Rey is definitely real and will likely play a role in his redemption. Rey does not see him as a romantic partner as a dark sider. The tension between the two will continue and drive the story. I think she is the only person who can turn him. However, I still believe his redemption will come only at his death by her hand.

PantherEyes and jaqen like this.
  14. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    There is nothing "romantic" in any way about the relationship between Rey and Kylo. He is not attracted to her. He is interested in her only as a means to an end. But yeah, Im wasting my breath. If people want to see a guy telling a woman shes worthless to everyone but him as romantic, then they will.

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That's nice.

Meanwhile I've seen the film twice, with six different men, none of which knew Reylo was a "thing", and all noted the sexual tension. So, obviously, they layered something in there for casual viewers to pick up. I mean there are articles right now on mainstream media sites discussing the sexual chemistry between Rey and Kylo. RJ is being interviewed about it.

Doesn't matter whether you want to see it, or not.

You mean like how most of you guys burned yourself out over the last 2 years swearing that it was literally impossible that Disney-Lucasfilm would ever, ever even suggest Reylo?

It's so incredibly strange to see people who got everything totally wrong still sitting on the high horse, leading a battle they already lost.

16. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003

I think it is possible to see the scenes between Kylo and Rey and have a different interpretation. I definitely think he is attracted to her. I do not feel that she is attracted to him. Just my opinion. Time will tell.

WebLurker and PantherEyes like this.
  17. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003

In his warped mind, telling her she is worthless to everyone, but him was a way of him showing he cares. Not the best pickup line, but his likely intention. He is likely attracted to her and using her for his purposes as well. We are all aware of similar relationships.

Wookiekisser, PantherEyes and Yora like this.
  18. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I wasn't wrong about everything though. On the contrary, actually got an interesting number of things right. It's a lot of people on these types of threads who are actually in denial after seeing the movie.

And you're right, they suggested reylo but it wasn't in a healthy or promoting sense either. It was based off of Rey making a terrible decision, Kylo's emotional manipulation (that according to Daisy and Mark did little favors for their characters), disobeying Luke's advice (which he was RIGHT about) and helping Kylo take over the galaxy. Nothing about Kylo becoming a good guy in the end or Rey falling in love with him. And still, people think Rey's gonna fall in love with him. That's all I'm saying.

Speaking of leading battles, Kylo sure looked pretty adamant about leading the space nazis, trying to kill luke, telling him he'd destroy rey and the resistance, huh?

CosmicDust likes this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    If Rey doesn't have any attraction to Kylo than, IMO, Daisy played a number of their scenes totally wrong.

PantherEyes and Amethhyst like this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Why, pray tell, would I be upset?

I never said what Rey/Kylo have, whatever it is, is "healthy". I'm not #teamkyloredemption. I never said that Rey was going to "fall in love" with Kylo.

Everything that happened between them in TLJ was exactly what I wanted; messy, nebulous, interesting, layered, dangerous, and full of chemistry.

There are a lot of space between anti-Reylo and pro-fullblownromance Reylo.

I've been saying for months that I wanted something more akin to Clarice/Hannibal Lecter.

21. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Alright, then I'll go ahead and apologize first. This threat gets toxic easily so yeah. Personally based on life experience I don't like constant "second chances" so to speak, where no matter what a person does it's okay because reasons x y z. I've seen it play out multiple times in multiple cases and it's annoying to see it constantly promoted as an option here. In my opinion, based on what I saw, I find personally no evidence of Rey falling in love with or being attracted to a person who terrorized her and put her friend (someone she's canonically adores and finds attractive) into a coma and suddenly switching perspectives THAT quickly. Personally, I find it poorly written and inconsistent for what Rey's character is supposed to represent, and some of cast (including Mark and Daisy especially) have consistently said that they didn't agree with Rian's choices, nor were they happy with how it turned out. So it's not exactly a minority that has this opinion.

But that being said, I personally do think they were telling the truth when they called Kylo Ren's story an inverse hero's journey b ecause that's exactly what we got in TLJ. He's had multiple opportunities to turn away from evil and he's been very adamant in staying on it and being a dictator, even though leading up to the movie everyone thought he'd become a good guy. And personlly I find that story wayyy more interesting than what some others have suggested. And I disagree with the idea that he can do whatever he wants and still deserves 100% of Rey's focus instead of Rey being there for her friends instead. (Daisy even said that's what she wants).

But again, I misunderstood you so I'll go ahead and apologize. Sorry about that

Ren Kylo and jaqen like this.
  22. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I have a hard time seeing sexual tension in the shirtless scene. Yes, Rey asks him if he has something to put on BUT with her next breath she is visibly still emotionally reacting to Han's death. She's crying, asking him why he killed his own father who loved him and she can barely say the word "father." That doesn't come across to me as someone who is having a sexually physical reaction to a half naked man in front of her.

As far as the dialog that I promised to come back with;

Rey: "You underestimate Skywalker, and Ben Solo, and me. It will be your downfall."

Snoke: " Oh..have you seen something? A weakness in my apprentice. Is that why you came? Young fool. It was I who bridged your minds. I stoked Ren's conflicted soul, I knew he was not strong enough to hide it from you and you were not wise enough to resist the bait. And now you will give me Skywalker."

The bait was the "future" that Rey thinks she saw regarding Ben, courtesy of Snoke. The one that made her think that if Luke refused to take the lightsaber from her after their confrontation, that her best bet was leaving Ach-To, going to Ren and trying to turn him. Skywalker's location was Snoke's endgame. He specifically said that after Ren kills Rey and the FO finishes off the fleet they were going to go and destroy Luke and his island.

23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Here are my thoughts on Reylo:

I saw none of it in TFA.
    I don't want Kylo's story mirroring Anakin's.
    I don't care about Kylo being "redeemed". After TFA I was strictly against it.

TLJ opened my mind to several different options.

I now see Reylo. They were the tortured soul of TLJ.
    I think they're attracted to each other.
    I think the seeds were planted for falling in love, but I doubt they will.
    I don't think they'll ever have an actual relationship, complete with commitment and consummation.
    I think Rey they're deeply connected, on a Force level.
    I can see Kylo getting a redemptive element added to his story, but not full blown salvation

I love a good, messy, complicated, hard-to-nail-down relationship, and Reylo, as presented in TLJ, fits the bill.

24. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003

Not necessarily, I was referring to her having no attraction by the end of the film. One could speculate whether she was developing feelings for him prior to his decision to become Supreme Leader. She certainly felt comfortable talking to him about the mirror scene.

PantherEyes and jaqen like this.
  25. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Kylo has done nothing, not one thing, to suggest that he even wants to return to the light. And in the time he's done nothing but maim, murder, and execute orders to empower him. Why would Rey ever consider anything other than opposing the goal he explicitly stated in TLJ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.