main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    No, that's not true.

Both Rey and Kylo's visions were correct, having nothing to do with Snoke.

Rey told Kylo she saw him no longer kneeling before Snoke.
    Kylo told Rey that he saw her fighting along side him when the time came.

Both were absolutely correct. But both misinterpreted what their visions meant. Both thought it meant the other was coming to their respective sides, and both discovered, quite painfully, that they were wrong.

Which is why they're both so emotionally devastated to discover they got it wrong. They wanted to believe in the other so desperately.

WebLurker, ReyKenobi, oncafar and 7 others like this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Why would Rey act the way she does in TLJ? Because she spends that film behaving in ways that many people swore literally could never happen.

She attacks Luke. She goes straight to the dark, with no hesitation. She bonds with Kylo. She fights by his side. She grows closer to him, despite all he did to people she loves. She considered joining him.

I can't take assurances seriously that Rey "would never", when we have a new Star Wars film sitting in theaters right now that tore all the Reywouldneverisms to tatters.

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Those of you trying to use shirtless and what she says as a reason for the Chemistry I have some bad news for you from the people who made the movie as to why that scene happened. link to one of the many articles and the quote from the article:

Sure, all of these are plausible explanations, but co-sound supervisors Matthew Wood and Ren Klyce told HuffPost there’s a deeper meaning behind the shirtless scene. It’s all about that Force connection.
    “The way in which [director Rian Johnson] decided to create the Force connection by just simply doing vertical cuts without using any CG ... it’s pure simplicity in terms of filmmaking with visual cuts. We cut to her side; we cut to Kylo Ren; we cut to her; and back and forth,” Klyce explained.
    Simply put, the sound supervisor explained that Kylo appears sans shirt in order to show that Rey could see him while the two were Force-connected.
    “That was important to establish what she was actually seeing,” Klyce said. “Was she hearing his voice or seeing his face or just his eyes? And so that [shirtless scene] is to inform the audience, ‘Oh, she can see his body.’”
    Klyce added: “It’s also good humor.”

There you have it, it demonstrates what Rey is seeing and all in good humor, nothing more meant by it.

4. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Many people have questioned her motivations in TLJ. There's character developments that can be improved and/or fixed in the next film.

5. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Rey and Kylo have become my favorite Star Wars duo ever after TLJ, precisely because the relationship feels so unpredictable and complex.

They could try to murder each other, become allies and yes, even fall in love. All without betraying their individual characters.

So to lock off anything and say "well that's not happening" before seeing episode 9 would be extremely foolish, because Rian has set it up in a way where I literally have no idea what will happen with them in the end.

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Well, exactly.

Which is entirely my point. It's been two years of "Rey would NEVER", Rey is a role model, Disney would NEVER, rinse and repeat.

So, sorry, I don't take any "Rey would NEVER" posts seriously after TLJ obliterated fan headcannon and assumptions.

This already went in a radically different direction than was largely thought. So obviously a lot of the assured, diehard fans don't have an accurate finger on the pulse of what Disney-Lucasfilm is doing with their ST.

ReyKenobi likes this.
  7. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017

That's what I just said. I even italicized the word "thinks". What she saw made her think she could turn Ben! It was bait to get her in front of Snoke so he could pull Luke's location from her mind. She went because she expected Ben to turn to her side (ie: no longer kneeling before Snoke) and it didn't work out that way. She wasn't wise enough to realize it was a trick. Even Luke tried to tell her that it wasn't going to go the way she thought it was going to.

WebLurker and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  8. Strategize

Dec 18, 2017
    Rian also said this about the shirtless scene...

"At the premiere I heard somebody in the balcony say, “Yesssss!” You can see Adam was training hardcore throughout the whole process. It’s fun but it also has a specific purpose, which is the increasing feeling of uncomfortable intimacy. That was sticking with the theme of trying to give Rey the hardest thing you could possibly give her, which would be unavoidable intimate conversation with this person that she wants to just hate. This was just one more way of upping that ante."

So no, it wasn't just simply for humor.

9. Dory Vader

Dory Vader Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    Anyone who came out of TLJ thinking the Rey and Kylo are going to be romantically involved in IX missed the whole movie. Rey left Luke because she could sense that he could turn. Snoke implanted that vision in her to trap her into coming to see him. She thinks she did it when he kills Snoke. But he doesn't turn. She leaves and closes to door on him for good. There is no going back.

WebLurker and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

You do realize that, in the quote you provided, they explain why Rey sees his body, but never explain why he was shirtless. You know who does? Rian Johnson:

Please explain the dramatic necessity of giving Kylo Ren a shirtless scene.
    RJ: At the premiere I heard somebody in the balcony say, “Yesssss!” You can see Adam was training hardcore throughout the whole process. It’s fun but it also has a specific purpose, which is the increasing feeling of uncomfortable intimacy. That was sticking with the theme of trying to give Rey the hardest thing you could possibly give her, which would be unavoidable intimate conversation with this person that she wants to just hate. This was just one more way of upping that ante.

11. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm not sure who you're disagreeing with though. In most of the analysis I've seen they acknowledged an expanded relationship between Kylo and Rey. Who's talking in the absolutes you're speaking of?

12. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    You're right about Rey doing certain things we didn't expect, but I have to disagree.They weren't framed as good or even rational things. So technically Disney-LF WOULD have character do such-and-such, but not because it's good thing, but to show that hero's can make questionable decisions, face the consequences, and have to learn from it.

Look at Spiderman 3. "Peter would never-" But he does rely on the venom suit for strength and overconfidence and ends up hurting people (including MJ). Yes, Peter did it, but it was in no way something that the audience was meant to root for, even if Peter might've had good intentions in doing it. In fact a lot of people ended up disliking the movie lol. But he learned his lesson and rejected it.

And I don't think it ever looked like Rey ever wanted to join Kylo on the dark side. The whole point was to see if she could get him back on the light. Even after they defeat the PG, she goes straight to talking about how they can still help the Resistance. And when she sees that Kylo is still evil she goes straight to "Don't do this. Please don't do this." Even when she reached out it was just to grab the saber and escape.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Exactly. My favorite duos in TFA were:

Finn/Rey
    Leia/Han
    Han/Chewie
    Poe/Finn

The interactions I was most looking forward to immediately after TFA was Kylo/Leia, Luke/Rey and Finn/Rey.

Never, not in a million years, did I expect Kylo/Rey to steal the whole sequel away. Or that they would be the central relationship of episode VIII. They are easily one of the most interesting, complex relationships SW has ever offered up.

14. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017

The complexity that "The Last Jedi" gave both these characters, character arc was astonishing; never before had we seen a force ability to literally project yourself to each other, never before did had we seen bitter ememies become allies, even if for only a few minutes; and never have we seen to truly conflicted adversaries who actually understand each other. There interactions moving forward are very intruging although I think the romantic idea is as closed as the door was to the Millenium Falcon but we shall see. ;)

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

You came out of TFA thinking that Rey and Luke were absolutely father and daughter, that Rey would recognize Luke as her dad, and had long analysis to back it up. You said she is his daughter 100%, based off what you saw in TFA, and that you were willing to bet money on it.

I don't think you're in a position to tell people they're viewing TLJ wrong.

16. Dory Vader

Dory Vader Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    I still believe it 100%.

Besides. What does 1 thing have to do with the other? I am talking about what is in TLJ. There is no hint of ReyLo in it, in my opinion.

17. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Easy guys...let's not grant emergency power to the supreme chancellor over this

18. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I think Reylo can work and be a thing if that's the sort of story they want to tell. I don't think claims that it's dead or happening really hold any weight because the options remain. I've been going back and forth on it myself.

I would say that there are ways I would really like Reylo.

I still feel torn between two realities and cannot settle on either of them. Reylo is a sort of NF-idealist kind of story. And I like idealistic stories. But yeah Kylo would have to have quite a turn-around as he ends VIII in a bad place.

chris52 likes this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Really?

So where was the scene that showed Rey seeing myth Luke, but shockingly realizing that was her dad?

Luke's dead now. Rey was revealed to know the truth, all along, about her parents. Mark has acknowledged the sexual tension between Luke's nephew and Rey.

When, and how, are Rey Skywalker unfolding?

ReyKenobi likes this.
  20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    This is not a who is Rey's parents' thread. Thank you. Stay on topic or find yourself banned.

Jedi Merkurian and Birkendoc like this.
  21. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    The elevator scene was the one when they jumped the shark. It was too much of a sudden jump on "i will save you" bandwagon from Rey. Didn't believe it and it sound too much Luke-alike but without the substantial build up and couple year time skip. They should have let that "thing" to cook a couple years after Han Solo death and then start to bring these two together.
    And i believe the shut door was the one big nail into ReyLo coffin. They teased the fans but will never make it happen.

Hypatia likes this.
  22. Strategize

Dec 18, 2017
    Them being tethered together is what negates the need for a long break. Because they're literally forced to speak to each other on a consistent basis, combined with their loneliness, the issues they have get warn away alot quicker than a normal relationship would. Normally you'd just ignore the person, but they can't because of the force bond.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    RJ can't "tease" Reylo fans when he wrote the script before Reylo fans ever existed.

24. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Not to mention the fact that Reylo was there to some extent in TFA to begin with. I already linked the "Death & The Maiden" analysis essay a few pages back, but since then I've read several other analytical essays on the dynamic between Rey and Kylo Ren as presented in TFA in other contexts. I think most of us have spent the past two years just deliberately overlooking it because of our assumptions that a) Rey was a Skywalker/Solo and b) Kylo being unredeemable.

And yet, not only is Rey a "Nobody," but the films do seem to keep pointing towards the idea that Kylo will find redemption by the end of Episode IX somehow. No clue how in God's name they'll do it, but seriously- Star Wars is among the more optimistic fictional stories out there. It's a fairy tale set in space. When Han dies, his final act is holding his son's cheek in forgiveness and fatherly affection. Rose tells Finn that they'll win "by saving the ones we love." Luke tells Leia that "no one is ever really gone" after she admits defeat on ever getting her son back. Kylo ends the film with a hollow victory; he's got all of the power in the world now but he's never been more alone in his life.

So yeah, I'm not so certain that Reylo is entirely off the cards yet for Episode IX. I have no idea how JJ could make it work, but we're two-thirds of the way into this trilogy already and every time it seems like Ben Solo has crossed the point of no return, the films have presented his descent in such a way that there's still an inkling of hope left for him. And all the while, these films have also developed that relationship he has with Rey and taken things into a very intimate and sexually-charged direction.

25. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Exactly. He was writing this in 2014, long before we even knew Kylo and Rey's names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.