main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey - sex appeal done the right way (slight mature content within)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DebonaireNerd, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I was browsing another forum the other day and one user made an excellent post by speculating what Rey would be dressed like if this were a film by the likes of Michael Bay or even a director of a Marvel film and they came up with this:

I couldn't help it laugh because based upon a lot of trailers for the action/adventure/sci-fi genre, there is a lot of this style of sexuality in the way women are presented. First of all, I want to point out that i'm not a feminist nor am I trying to start a discussion on gender but geared more toward why I think Rey works as a character and why that makes her "sexy". To me her character goes against a lot of conventions of what we see in modern action and sci-fi.

Here's some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Based upon those examples, Abrams has ironically taken a relatively post-modern idea of what is sexy. Rey is definitely a sexier character than any of the women in Abrams Star Trek because they don't take the Michael Bay approach to sexuality. We fall for Rey, well I do anyway, because of her charisma and determination. I'd sure she's look amazing in lingerie, but I don't need to see it because she's already sold me by her choice of words before even caring to know about her choice of underwear.

You could argue that those images above are from isolated events in the film - that is true. But the fact that not once do we see a scantily clad Rey is a compliment to her character. It maintains her dignity, her intellect, and strength because that's 100% of the focus. Apart from cosplayers, i'm yet to have heard anyone comment on Rey's overall look or body. It's a really refreshing experience because of the modernity driving the character. In fact, it's difficult to say that about the prequels because Natalie Portman's gorgeous figure, to an extent, was showcased in some of the costume decisions made for her character in Episodes II and III where they were either tight, leather, or revealing belly. Then there's Princess Leia in ROTJ...

I think film makers and TV producers are becoming more aware of this, especially with the likes of Jessica Jones or some of the recent Bond girls. I hope this is something that future Star Wars films maintains a focus upon.

What do we think? Is Rey sexy by her own merits?

Force22 likes this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    considering that Rey wasn't sexualised, I really don't see the need or the appropriateness to photoshop her into a revealing outfit to make a spurious point about what Michael Bay would do.

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

You're correct and i've since removed the photo. I apologise for that. But, I do feel it helped to hit the point home about how they would manufacture a sex appeal of sorts into the character because of how shallow writing would not enable them to conceptulise that aspect of the character.

You're absolutely correct and apologise if that image offended. Again, the image was not of my creation.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Sexualization in media is one of my biggest pet peeves and most resented things in general. I see it as a compromise of artistic integrity and a lack of faith in one's own work in that they feel they need to do that to attract a larger audience

Not say SW has never sexualized; some of Padme's outfits were rather revealing, and of course Leia's infamous bikini, but those are entirely different circumstances and justified for the scenarios, in my opinion at least. The most sexualized Rey gets is that her pants only go halfway down her calves, which isn't really much at all. She's one of my favourite designs in the series so far

5. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    People are sexualized to some degree simply by being alive, human beings experience attraction invariably without the need to "make someone sexy". That said, obviously there are certain modes of dress, manners of speech, and attitudes film makers often use to enhance said sex appeal. Personally I think they allow any attraction to Rey to be developed purely off her personality, intelligence, and physical features without resorting to just throwing more skin at the camera. It is respectful, and tasteful, she shouldn't be reduced to a piece of eye candy.

TryWhistlingThis likes this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't think of Rey as sexy, the thought has never crossed my mind. I don't think the film remotely attempts to sexualize her in any way. And it works well for her character in this film.

I think this is a case where any kind of sexualization of Rey is based largely off what the viewer projects on her, not any attempt by the filmmakers to present her as sexy in a "different" way.

I mean people could sexualize Luke Skywalker in the the original Star Wars, and did, but Luke was never presented as "sexy".

7. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Which is the very point i'm wanting to make. It would have been so easy for any director to do that, especially since Rey needs to exercise as much intellect and brawn as Lara Croft. It's kind of why some of Abrams decisions in Star Trek are surprising because if you go back to shows like Fringe, characters such as those played by Anna Torv are absolutely comparable to Rey because their presence is dominated by their intellect.

ThorOdinson likes this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

But that's my point. As someone who is attracted to females, I find her absolutely sexy because her personality speaks to me. I've experienced the same thing recently with Jessica Jones Don't get me wrong, I of course notice that these are both very beautiful women, but dressing them down would add little to my thoughts of them because they already have my attention at the almost literal "hello".

I think films like TFA are a wake up call to many writers and directors of the action/sci-fi genres that there are more intelligent choices to be made when portraying an appealing female character. This is why Colin Trevorrow as director of Episode IX has me worried. The Claire character was one scream short of being cast as Willie in a remake of Indiana Jones And The Temple of Doom. Once again, i'm not objecting to Trevorrow on the basis of his portrayal of women, but gender is one example of why Jurassic World didn't work - it was boring, much like the other characters (male and female) and scenarios in the film.

ThorOdinson likes this.
  9. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    I was expecting more when I read the title of the thread. You misled me, are you a Disney marketing executive?

jaqen, Force22 and TryWhistlingThis like this.
  10. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    Human beings are always "sexy" at some level. Attraction can be enhanced, but never negated or absent.

jaqen likes this.
  11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

No, but I do graduate in 2016. If you can make a reference for me i'd be honoured.

12. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I'm kinda "in love" with Rey, and I agree the appeal is done perfectly here. In that there's absolutely no focus on her exterior, there's no cleavage or unnecessary ass shots or needless show of skin. She's wearing what looks like sensible clothes for her climate. The focus is 100% on personality and actions. That makes her attractive.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

13. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    Her character and personality was the highlight of the film for me. Aside from her interesting hair cut I don't think I noticed her looks at all.

turnip white likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Why does this thread exist?

I like Rey, but come on people really?

Lera_Swift and turnip white like this.
  15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    AOTC the creature deliberately shreds her outfit into a more revealing one. Yeah totally justified....

jaqen likes this.
  16. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Rey is a prehistoric kind of sexy. Before the pop culture, before the Empires.

TryWhistlingThis likes this.
  17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

As someone who is attracted to females, and married to one, I think you're basically saying that Rey is sexy by sheer virtue of her being someone you find personally appealing.

But I don't think any effort was put in by the makers of TFA to present Rey as some kind of alternate kind of "sexy", a new, different, refreshing take on a sexualized figure.

You said that JJ has "taken a relatively post-modern idea of what is sexy". I'm saying that JJ didn't take any approach to making Rey sexy. She is to you by virtue of finding her traits sexy, physically and otherwise, but not by some greater attempt to make her sexy...in a post modern way.

Rey wasn't anymore sexualized in this than say Finn, Chewie or Leia.

18. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    ???
    Rey is dressed just like other women in SW.
    JJ didnt do anything that hasnt been done before.

If anything, the sleeves should fully cover her arms as well and her pants should go all the way down cause of the desert planet and the sun.

19. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    Eh, Cest la vie. We are sexual beings. While I certainly believe it is overused I'm not willing to demonize any guy that removes his shirt to show off his abs, or any woman that wears a low cut top.

20. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It was very refreshing to see her character not be overtly sexualised, as is the trend these days in, well, pretty much everything! Rey is an excellent character, very well performed. Strong, intelligent, funny. If people find that attractive then great, but it's nice to not be beaten over the head with it.

21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Basically to show our appreciation of the character and what it could mean for other films in the genre. No, not all films are guilty of what i've mentioned above but there is a lot of it and it seems to be an increasing trend. I thought of posting it in one of the Rey threads, but I think this warrants its own discussion because Star Wars itself has been guilty of "sexing" up its female characters in the past. Also, i'm genuinely surprised by the creative decision.

Like I said, it would have been so easy for Abrams to have that one scene where we see a bare back or imply a bare chest, but it never even went there. Honestly, for the 2010s this is an intelligent and postmodern idea for the genre - especially for a mainstream, mass marketed film like Star Wars. I think that deserves discussion and a pat on the back. Put it this way: if Rey was sexualised (Michael Bay style), you'd read numerous threads about the sexism and misogyny behind the decision. It's very rare you read about a thread thanking director or writer for a tasteful portrayal of women. Again, i'm not a feminist (i'm actually a conservative) but even I am impressed. It deserves a thread because Abrams gave us the hero we absolutely deserve, and i'm head over heels with her.

22. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    Well they don't design outfits to make them look ugly. Which means at some point they had to choose what she should wear, and they purposefully chose modest clothing. That's post modern.

23. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015

[​IMG]

just what I was needing, a post weighing out all the different ways women are sexualized on film and bringing a much needed strong heroic female character down to a discussion on her sexuality and if she is "sexy" or not.

24. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    One of the things I love about Rey is that I never thought of her sexual appeal during the movie. I guess that doesn't mean that I didn't find her attractive...As a female, I appreciate that Daisy Ridley is absolutely attractive, and I think it's natural for me to appraise her. But I didn't do that in the movie at all. I think that should be focus on a strong, central female heroine though. Her appeal, or sexiness, or whatever you want to call it, is her pure ability to survive and the strength she demonstrates. That doesn't mean you can't be physically attractive and represent strength- but in Hollywood where it's typical to flaunt a women's features, and as a woman myself, I can really appreciate the attention NOT being drawn to that. I think the prequels failed at this and took the easy route and absolutely sexualized Natalie Portman. Even in TPM she wore a light blue outfit that showed off her whole midriff. In ATOC she wore a black outfit (designed by Lucas, actually) that was very seductive. There's nothing wrong with that, by any means. I think this is where the biggest difference lies- JJ didn't go out of his way to make her sexy. He doesn't stoop to that level. If she's sexy, it's purely based off character.

I also realize they cast Daisy Ridley knowing she would be an easy person to promote because she is very beautiful.

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    See, this thread makes me uncomfortable. Even the direction it's going in, is kind of like 'the fact she dresses conservatively IS sexy'
    It kind of misses the point. There's no interesting discussion to be had on this topic. Daisy Ridley is good looking, I mean, she's the lead in a Star Wars movie, so of course she is. And it's great that her character was written as a human being and not as eye candy. So it kind of feels off to kind of end up giving her a thread all about how she's sexy in an intelligent person's way, when all anyone is really saying is 'I fancy her'
    I mean, there's nothing wrong with fancying her, but it's not really a talking point, is it?

jaqen and Ruffmeian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.