main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey - sex appeal done the right way (slight mature content within)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DebonaireNerd, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I don't think anyone should be demonized, but let's get real, Padme in AOTC is very deliberately sexualized. It's actually a part of the story, the love story being a major part of that film.

2. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    HIGHLY UNCOMFORTABLE.

this thread reeks of "the male gaze", ugh.

3. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

Absolutely. Why is it even a topic.

4. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015
    ....and I have not seen one person ever comment that about a male actor in the series. *throws table*

5. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I thought Rey was pretty hot.

6. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    My point exactly.

7. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't think that's necessarily true. Obviously, not to the same extent. But Adam Driver has gotten some criticism because people find his look unique, or funny, or whatever you want to call it. Instead of focusing on the character itself.

I think all of Hollywood is based off of narcissism, and people naturally are a little vapid. So the studios play to that.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So do I, but it does not need its own thread and this one has already gone into the weird zone.

jaqen likes this.
  9. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    OH NO! THE MALE GAZE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!! Men are often attracted to women, and vice versa. It's called Biology, and it is intellectually dishonest to avoid talking about it. A Characters attractiveness is part of the character as a whole, and is as worthy of mention as any other facet of their person. That goes for men and women.

An actor's attractiveness is a large part of every casting, male or female. There aren't a lot of ugly stars/starlets.

10. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015

but that comment wasn't about criticism over Adam Driver looking "unique" (WHICH IS STILL AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT COMMENT than saying he was cast partly because of his "good looks") - that comment was about the actor being GIVEN A JOB because she was attractive. Also - men don't deal with sexism while woman are constantly and always marginalized (like this ENTIRE thread's existence??) on if they are pretty or not - especially in fandoms like this that have a mostly male audience.

11. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    Did you just say men don't deal with sexism? That is incredibly naive, and sexist.

Ruffmeian likes this.
  12. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015

considering some of us are sexual abuse victims in real life, you need to STOP THIS. The "male gaze" does not refer to men LOOKING AT WOMEN - the "male gaze" refers to how society views women from a sexualized state - ALWAYS, and not as real human beings. like, educate yourself? understand women live under entirely different standards you do as a man? stop being such an insensitive ignorant jerk maybe?

"its intellectually dishonest" to not talk about a character sexually? WHAT? It's posters like you that really make me want to leave fandoms and forums, for real.

your comment about actors being cast for looks "all the time" entirely misses the point on what I was upset about, but lets be real I am not surprised.

13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The wardrobe choices for Natalie Portman in AOTC were indefensible, in terms of storytelling and creating character. They undermined Padme's character completely simply to give men something to look at.

obviously the following comes with a disclaimer that women can and should wear whatever the hell they choose to, but that in this instance, the character was dressed not within a consistent attitude of the character, but by a director wanting to attract the male gaze; generally, when women are slightly creeped out by a guy and/or starting a conversation about how there is no way a relationship could happen, they don't do it dressed in bondage gear and a corset.

Lera_Swift likes this.
  14. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    While Daisy Ridley is a beautiful young woman, there was nothing remotely sexual about her performance. For that matter, there was nothing sexual about Leia in the OT. Even in that metal bikini, it wasn't like she was 'working it.' I mean she was half-naked, but there was nothing sexual about it, other than seeing Carrie Fisher's attractive body. Padme was somewhat sexualized in AOTC. The black outfit in front of the fire, the ripped shirt and tight white pants in the arena scene. But it was a love story. We needed to see a little of what Anakin saw in her.

Rey in TFA? Just an attractive person being a bad-ass. No different than Poe.

jaqen likes this.
  15. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I think it is perfectly fine to discuss her sexiness. I've seen PLENTY of memes and posts about how hot Poe is lol. Rey is cute as hell I must say.[​IMG]

ThorOdinson likes this.
  16. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015

But people freaked out because he doesn't look the norm- how you don't connect that I don't understand.

Hayden Christensen was hired to be the good little golden boy, pretty blue eyes that we see turn into a dark menace. If you think he wasn't hired so the audience correlates that into him turning into this big black monster- I don't know what to tell you.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Basically this. This thread has pretty much already run its course and doesn't really warrant staying open. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.