main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey....The dark side

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jabberwock2137, Dec 29, 2015.

1. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I don't believe she will fall completely dark, but as some people before me mentioned... she will learn to accept that there is darkness inside that can balanced with the light. I really like the concept of using both sides of the force as opposed to "you must be 100% THIS". She is being set-up as something extraordinary (IMO) and this could be what it is, perhaps thru Luke's tutelage assuming he has learned the same in his exile. I mean he did dance that fine line before.

Darth Archimage, TK327 and morrison85 like this.
  2. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    She pointed a sharp knife in the alien's face and said something in a forceful manner (sounded like "NOMA!"). Then the alien went away. Do you need a translation of the dialog?

3. CCK1979

CCK1979 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    So she warned him: "I will defend this droid if I have to". Is this bullying?

4. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

That's surviving in an inhospitable environment, i don't think please and thank you get you too far in Jakku

I agree with all other points you made about her anger, her behavior in Jakku isn't one of them

5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Her becoming a gray Jedi would be cool.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  6. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

Yes, especially when it's said waving a sharp knife to the guy's face.

Look I really like Rey's character, but I'm just calling out what she did for what it was. So it was bullying for a noble cause, but when you threaten to use force to get what you want against what looked like a weaker guy, what else do you call it?

7. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I think it will be a major part of her future development. We haven't seen a character go light, to dark, to light in a trilogy yet. It could be very different from previous movies.

8. blodie

blodie Jedi Padawan

Dec 14, 2015
    LOL because you think that if she asked nicely he would have agreed? She doesn't have enough money to buy enough food, how do you think she would have paid BB8? And this planet and this life is rough, it's pretty obvious. You can't just act like a little puppy out here. I would have yelled at him too if I had her life or if I spend my life with these kind or rude and tough people.

9. CCK1979

Dec 24, 2015
    I'm not a native speaker so maybe I don't understand what "to bully" means, but I think that she is defending a weaker creature against a stronger creature. She is not doing anything that could be considered immoral. But bullying seems immoral to me.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  10. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

No, except she was free to choose *not* to save BB-8 from scrap. I make no value judgements as to what she did, just stating actions that show her character. She could've walked away from it but she didn't, instead she threatened violence to get her way. It's consistent with, for example, how she simply charged angrily at Finn. She tends to shoot first and ask questions later.

11. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

Understood. I'm not judging whether she was right or wrong, just describing what she did. "Bully" is the only word for it as far as I can tell.

12. CCK1979

Dec 24, 2015
    In german, a bully is someone who mistreats another person for the fun of it or because he needs to elevate himself because of insecurities. I suppose it has a different meaning in english, then?

13. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Rey's Survival Guide has an explanation on why Rey took a forceful stance towards the Teedo. Basically, the Teedo is operating just outside Rey's house which they know it isn't their territory. Since Teedos make no distinction between individual and group and can somehow share consciousness across all members Rey need to show that this can't stand otherwise she'll have every Teedos thinking that her house and the immediate surroundings are fair game for them to operate in. So Rey's more like asserting her ownership over her small patch of land or something like that.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  14. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Rey makes me nervous only because she could just be a rehash of Luke, which I'm worried about.

I would expect Rey to have significantly less trouble elluding the dark side of the force. For one thing, she's not as ambitious or headstrong as Luke was in IV. Where Luke is anxious and planning to be a starpilot, Rey evolves as the plot develops in TFA to someone who feels obligated to deliver BB8 to the resistance.

In terms of struggle, I would prefer if the next two films focus moreso on Kylo Ren's struggle with the dark/light balance as to do so would be to cover new ground.

15. CCK1979

Dec 24, 2015
    In what way? That she wants to redeem Kylo? Or that she fails in EP5?

16. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

Thanks for clarifying. As a noun it means the same thing in English, but I used it as a verb and from the Merriam-Webster dictionary there are two meanings:

verb bul·ly
    Simple Definition of bully
    : to frighten, hurt, or threaten (a smaller or weaker person) : to act like a bully toward (someone)
    : to cause (someone) to do something by making threats or insults or by using force

In the context of how I used it, the 2nd definition applies.

17. RDeckard

Dec 28, 2015
    Moreso the temptation from the Dark Side. This ever-lingering idea that the dark side will take her.

I would much prefer the film focuses the lion's share of inner conflict on Ren over Rey.

18. CCK1979

Dec 24, 2015
    Going by that definition, she is bullying that guy. But I got the impression that you thought she was wrong in doing this.

I thought you meant that her bullying and picking a fight were examples of negative traits.

19. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

By "negative" I mean those traits which are exploited by the dark side to turn you away from the light. From past SW movies we've seen that rage, impulsiveness, impatience, short-temper,etc. have been those traits that the master Jedi teach their students over and over to avoid.

My personal views don't have anything to do with it as I think some "negative" traits in the Star Wars universe (as defined above) can be good depending on the situation.

20. CCK1979

Dec 24, 2015
    I understand now. And I somewhat agree with you. A Jedi would likely have tried to negotiate first without immediately using the threat of violence. Using violence or threatening to do so is the easiest way.

21. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    Well then what will Rey's conflict be about? She is the main character of this trilogy more or less and if she doesn't have any internal conflict then there is no drama and her character will be boring and undynamic. They could surprise us and have Ren be the real main character for VIII and IX and Rey a supporting character but even then she is still important enough she needs some kind of conflict, and I think seeing a character go from light to dark, while one goes from dark to light would be awesome.

I hope she would turn back to the light by the end of IX but seeing her has an all good character, or the obligatory her getting mad at Luke in the going into the 3rd act when she finds out he is her dad but them making up at the end of the VIII would be boring. You could say a fall to the darkside was been done by Anakin but I like many others think that was poorly done, and seeing her turn back also would be great because she would still more or less be the same person, it was decades by the time Vader returned and he was a different person by then and seeing someone turn to the darkside and then back in only a few years or months would be interesting because we know more about her current mindset and don't have a 2 decades of character change we don't see/

22. RDeckard

Dec 28, 2015
    At this point, there is no "Main Character". Moreso than any other Star Wars film, this is an ensemble.

The force struggle for Kylo Ren should be more than enough. I fully expect Ren's struggle to be original to this trilogy. The most obvious source of struggle for Rey could be addressing previous failures of Jedi masters teaching padawan learners. She will probably spend a good portion of next film with Luke and Luke and Rey will likely share in some kind of struggle.

23. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I don't want to ever see Rey turn to the dark side, or even be tempted by it for more than a moment. I am SICK of the plot lines of Jedi "turning to the dark side". It was meant to be so rare that the 20 + 1 people who had left the jedi order were known and studied as anomalies (and I don't think it's even implied that all of those 21 became evil, they just left the order). The only ones that I'm aware actually went to the dark side are Dooku and Vader. It's a cliche, and it's as if that's the only thing anyone can think up to be an obstacle for Jedi (it's like kryptonite). Also, if Jedi turning to the dark side was such a common occurrence then Jedi are more trouble than they're worth.

If you measure the destruction and death that Vader and Dooku caused it would probably outweigh the sum of all of the positive things the Jedi did during the last 1,000 years. It's like keeping a live hand grenade in your living room to deter burglars but there's a 50% chance it will blow up and kill your whole family. ...you'd take your chances with the burglars.

JediLight likes this.
  24. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    I get the feeling Kylo's role is more the gray user, which is why he's so obsessed with being like Vadar. It's not that he's weak, it's that he has trouble being one side or the other completely.

25. blodie

blodie Jedi Padawan

Dec 14, 2015
    Like, everyone would have done the same in real life, LOL, come on guys. It's not bullying, it's not choosing violence against peace, or having a dark side, or whatever : you see someone -or a droid in this case- getting basically kidnapped against his will, you just stand here and do nothing? If I were Rey, I would have had the same reaction. If nothing, she's brave and is willing to help anyone in need.