main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey vs Kylo Ren and The KOR Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Nadroj ilain, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nadroj ilain

Nadroj ilain Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    Hi guys, so seeing as how Episode IX is supposed to be the final episode of this trilogy which means the inevitable show down between Rey, kylo ren and the Knights of Ren.

From everything we've seen in canon so far this seems like the greatest mismatch in star wars history. Even if you include a time jump of a decade there is no way Rey should be powerful enough or skilled enough with a light saber to fight 10 dark side force users on her own. (I am actually unsure how many Knights of Ren there are)

Realistically how is Rey supposed to come out victorious in this scenario? Even Luke was outmatched by Darth Vader but in the end the worst situation luke could have found himself in is 2on1 which as we've seen many times is still a challenge. But 10on1 is just a slaughter waiting to happen.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Rey will go dark, cut Kylo into pieces after 20 minutes of the movie to get defeated finally by the redeemed KoR

jaqen likes this.
  3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Assuming Rey will fight Kylo alone, much less the entire KOR, is an enormous leap in and of itself.

After TLJ I'm not sure we'll ever see Rey and Kylo touch sabers. Well, not the lightsaber kind at least...

4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    They have to though. No one else can have a lightsaber battle. Now that Luke is dead I'm sure he "can't get involved" to that extent.

Yora likes this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    One thing TLJ has taught me? Disney-LFL don't feel like they "have to" do anything. If you told me TLJ wouldn't have a "real" saber duel I'd have called you a liar. The "duels" were Rey vs Luke, Kylo vs "Luke", Finn vs Chrome Dome and Reylo vs the Guards.

If there is a saber battle, for all we know it might end up being a redeemed Kylo vs one, or all, of the KOR. Or Rey vs the KOR.

Doom_Buggy, NileQT87 and oncafar like this.
  6. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    That is true. I've always fancied the KOR using lightsabers. Since PH said Rey's vision wasn't necessarily all literal and now that it seems some of KOR were Luke's former students, I'm hoping their weird weapons will morph into lightsabers.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    TBH when I first saw TLJ I just assumed the P.Guards surrounding Snoke were the KOR.

8. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    I honestly assumed kylo ren was unredeemable since even Luke thought about killing him....but him crossing to the light and helping Rey seems more likely than Rey herself being able to end the trilogy in a convincing enough way... Thats assuming that the light side wins in this trilogy...but then again how interesting would that be and what sense would it make for kylo to cross over to the light but the KOR stay on the darkside. I thought the KOR were loyal to kylo ren and not to the FO.

It just seems to me RJ didnt leave a whole lot of options for Rey to win this one without the movie being completely uninteresting.

But who else has the power to actually help rey take on the KOR and kylo without just getting force pushed out of the way.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  9. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Rey and Kylo are absolutely going to have a rematch in IX. Kylo won't be switching sides any time soon because that would pretty much be the end of the war. Hux seems more comical than anything if he was going to then be the leader of the FO. The KOR I don't see many people give a rat's ass about other than the people on this board. The conflict is Kylo as the supreme leader and the FO v. the Resistance.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  10. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I think Rey and Kylo will definitely see another conflict as true adversaries; as Kylo told us in TLJ he wants to kill her. She will be well trained, prepared and will not underestimate Kylo Ren true intentions. I fully expect Rey deciding the new Supreme Leaders fate in the IX.

11. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Rey and Kylo will duel again, but I feel like he'll win and/or get the upper hand this time. Otherwise, it's just going to be a repeat of 7. He needs to win aganist her next time.

That's why I don't think their duel will be the finale. It'll be something else.

12. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I actually hope we see him with the upper hand, too. I want the story to continue to be different and something we haven't seen before. I want him to beat her, but stop himself from actually killing her and then the finale actually be in regards to something else, them working together again. I think the PG scene was so great, I feel like they're going to take advantage of how well Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver mesh.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    milena, Yora, Varouneire and 5 others like this.
  13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Seeing as this is the end of not only the trilogy, but potentially the saga, the war "ending" is the only thing I'm positive will happen. Kylo turning to the light doesn't suddenly stop the FO from existing, as we already saw with the emperor's death.

oncafar likes this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Since this trilogy repeats lines directly from previous ones I started fantasizing about a "I don't want to fight you" sort of line from Kylo, paralleling Luke.

milena likes this.
  15. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    So no one thinks the KOR will play a role in episode IX? I mean jj abrams was the one who teased then in TFA.

I would be greatly disappointed if they dont play a role at all.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Not really. They could, of course. But where have they been? Why haven't they been in the fight so far?

17. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think one thing to keep in mind is that Rey has always been a better fighter than Luke. Luke grew up on a farm, protected by Obi-Wan from a distance, and protected by his aunt and uncle up close. As far as we know, he never really had to fight until much later in life. Rey, on the other hand, had to learn to fend for herself from the age of 5, and as we saw in TFA, she was quite adept at melee combat before even touching a lightsaber.

Nevertheless, I do agree that Rey being victorious against all of the Knights Of Ren at once would be a bit hard to believe, but there are plenty of ways they could make it feasible. Maybe something about the location they're fighting in gives her an advantage. Or maybe she has her own back-up team. Or maybe she doesn't face them all at once. Maybe Kylo himself ends up helping her for some reason. Maybe she gets air support from Chewie or Poe or whoever.

As for whether the KOR will even be in Episode 9... I hope they are. If JJ wasn't writing it, I'd think maybe they would be omitted, but since he introduced them, I could see him wanting to put them to use.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    Yes TFA Rey is a better fighter than ANH Luke...but by the end of ESB I would argue Luke is a more proficient fighter than TLJ Rey.
    And skill with a staff is not equivalent to skill with a lightsaber....especially when one considers that wielding a lightsaber is inherently dangerous to anyone around including the wielder.

And from what we have seen there is no possible back-up team Rey could have that would Rival the KOR. One of the reasons why I started this thread is because I am really scared that they are going to have to use cheap plot conveniences in order for Rey and the Resistance to win.

And if Kylo turns wouldn't the KOR just turn with him since they follow Kylo? I mean other than the fact that Kylo is their leader we don't know much about the group dynamic.

19. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    It's difficult to say, since the only fight we saw Luke have in ESB was against someone who was basically just toying with him and not trying to kill him (and yet Luke still took quite a beating.) I just can't picture Luke in ESB faring well against multiple Praetorian guards who really want him dead.

It's not equivalent, but if I had to choose between someone who is skilled in melee combat vs. someone with no melee combat experience, I'd go with the who is skilled, even if that skill is with a different weapon.

But we don't really know how powerful the KOR are. Sure, they killed Luke's other students, but was it a fair fight? Or did they slaughter them in their sleep, or have some other advantage?
    Definitely possible. I could see a scenario like what we saw in the Finn Vs. Phasma fight, in which Rey gets some help from another person, as well as some help from the surrounding circumstances. For example, maybe the knights are on a bridge that gets blown up just as they're about to run towards to Rey. Most of the knight die, and Rey only has to fight one or two of them.

Yeah, I agree, it's hard to say without knowing much about them. Maybe they follow Kylo, but if they feel Kylo is no longer a suitable leader, who's to say they wouldn't turn against him?

20. Yora

Yora Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2016
    TFA and TLJ occur in a period of 2 weeks maximum. The KOR could have been on a mission, all this time. Justifying their absence is not really hard, in my opinion.

RKR likes this.
  21. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    I agree...and since snoke and kylo aren't sith the rule of two doesn't apply which means there's no reason for Kylo to have killed them off. I really hope they weren't just mentioned just to be mentioned and thrown out of the story.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I would love (assuming the KOR still have their staff/spear/axe weapons) for Finn to help Rey take them on. I know 2-vs-6 is still a stretch, but hey, Rey and Kylo took on the Praetorians 2-vs-8 and won. I bet Finn and Rey could do it. Then, I assume, Rey would move on to take Kylo solo (no pun intended).What would be really interesting is if, in reverse of expectations, Rey took on the KOR and Finn had to hold off Kylo until Rey could get to him. They wouldn't have to make Finn lose the duel; maybe at some point in the fight they could "switch" and Finn could fight the last 2 or 3 KOR that Rey hadn't dealt with, while Rey dealt with Kylo.

23. Doom_Buggy

Aug 2, 2016
    Rey & Kylo are both FS and they had trouble w/the 8 Praetorians, I don't see how Rey & non-FS Finn can feasibly take on 6 FS Knights.

I don't see Finn & Kylo fighting again either, esp. w/Finn getting any kind of upper hand. Kylo already lost to Rey & Finn managed to slash his shoulder. Kylo needs to win his next duel aganist Rey/whoever to be formidable.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Kylo's very unlikely to win a duel in the last movie of the trilogy, especially if it's against Rey. I think the fact that he killed 5 of the 8 Praetorians and tricked Snoke the way he did shows how formidable he is.

25. Doom_Buggy

Aug 2, 2016
    I actually think Kylo will best Rey in their next duel. A duel in the last movie doesn't have to be at the very end of the movie.

I think the ultimate resolution of the last movie is unlikely to be a show down between them.

Yora likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.