main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub REYLO Fanclub

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jackson384, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
  2. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    No, it doesn't make sense. This thread is a fanclub. It's about celebrating and appreciating the thing it is about (Reylo), not complaining about how you hate said thing and would quit fandom if it were to happen. Or at least that's my understanding. Maybe I'm wrong.

Look, there is not a single space on this forum where Reylo shippers can go without having their ship questioned, their motives questioned, or their morality questioned. In theory this thread should be a safe space to discuss Reylo, and while no self-respecting shipper would use it at this point (to do so is to basically add a sig saying 'THIS USER IS A REYLO. PLEASE FOLLOW ME AROUND THE FORUM AND QUESTION MY MOTIVES AND MORALS AT EVERY TURN. JUST DON'T MENTION THE 'R' WORD! :) ') on a matter of principle you shouldn't be using this thread if you're only purpose in doing so is to say how much you dislike it.

To summarise, this is the kind of thing that should go in a Reylo fanclub:
    [​IMG]
    http://lilithsaur.tumblr.com/

This is what shouldn't:

3. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Darth Basin

Knock off the trolling. You keep this up and your taking a vacation from the boards.

4. Reylo4life

Reylo4life Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2017
  5. Reylo4life

Mar 1, 2017
    I dont know if anyone already read this post by MeadowofAshes but this is an awesome interpretation of what we see unfold between Rey and Kylo in TFA....

Foreshadowing:
    1. Kylo Ren bridal carries (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BridalCarry) Rey. On stage, this means one of two things in the context of a monster or young man (and Kylo is both) carrying a young woman in this manner, either villainous crush or foreshadowed romance.
    2. Although the scene is very obviously NOT romantic in nature, Kylo and Rey are blocked in an Almost Kiss during the interrogation while he reads her mind, during which instance he gazes at her eyes and lips with a soft, longing look while he speaks of her loneliness and isolation. Again, the situation is obviously NOT romantic on its face, but it seems to convey two points: In spite of the circumstances he finds himself feeling compassion for this woman and he is physically attracted to her. The Almost Kiss positioning suggests this will actually happen one day.
    Metaphor:
    1. At the beginning of Rey's interrogation, Kylo appears crouched down in the shadows peering up at the "Rey of Light", the physical manifestation of his "pull to the Light".
    2. Temptation. During Rey's vision the phrase "You will be tempted" can be heard. The hiss of Kylo's helmet unlocking during the interrogation sounds distinctly like a snake hissing and rattling (the decompression as he removes his mask for his father does not sound quite the same). Think Serpent in the Garden of Eden tempting Eve with the Tree of Knowledge. Kylo is presented as "temptation" and it is through their interaction that Rey discovers knowledge of her Force sensitivity.
    Blocking:
    1. Kylo and Rey's stark difference in height is highlighted (whereas Finn and Rey are kept similar heights, which indicates they are not set up for romance).
    2. Almost Kiss during interrogation and Takodana woods. Having established Ren is able to read minds without being thisclose to the subject via Poe's scene, there is no reason for Ren to be so close it looks as though they could kiss (except to subliminally suggest to the audience this is a possibility).
    Presentation and Context Clues:
    1. Kylo first unmasks for Rey, revealing a handsome young man. This first shot is his most aesthetically pleasing, followed closely by his close-ups during he and Rey's lightsaber battle. His sexual features - eyes and lips - are drawn attention to while his less conventionally attractive features are downplayed via makeup and lighting. He also appears with perfectly coiffed hair. He is presented visually as our male romantic lead, even if he is not suitable material for romance at the moment. While Finn is naturally handsome, his sexuality is not "played up" in the same manner.
    2. Of significance is that the above shot is from Rey's perspective, so the audience is meant to understand that even if she finds him morally reprehensible, Rey finds Kylo Ren physically attractive. Her reaction says as much, at first taken aback, then giving him elevator eyes, and pointedly looking away when he walks over (whereas with the mask on she had no trouble looking directly at him), but stealing a couple of glances over at him nonetheless.
    Subtext: "I can show you the ways of the Force." This is a peculiar way for a Dark Sider to recruit someone. In all other SW films Dark Siders mention "the power of the Dark Side" or something similar during recruiting attempts. This line is phrased this way to call to mind the common phrase "ways of the world", which can be used as a euphemism for sex. (Hey, still a better pickup line than "I don't like sand". ;)) While it's obviously not intended to be a direct pickup line, it is meant to suggest the well-known euphemism to the audience.
    Thematic Continuation: The OT gave us The Princess and the Scoundrel and the PT The Queen and the Slave. With Ben Solo the son of Princess Leia, The Prince and the Scavenger seems a likely continuation of established tropes.
    Questionable Motives: Forget about the droid? Is he high? What was he going to do after he read the map from her mind, anyway? Draw it? And for good measure, let's bridal carry her through a battlefield all the way to his ship. Dude's not thinking with his brain.

Within the context of the SW franchise as a whole, Ben Solo's story seems to be taking a "Reverse Anakin and Padme" angle. Anakin begins in the Light and because of a selfish version of love for Padme he ends up falling into Darkness. Padme's love couldn't save him, but his love for their son did. We first meet Ben Solo in Darkness as Kylo Ren. He commits his most heinous act by the end of the film, and is shown (and indicated in the script) to be shocked and horrified by the "wicked act". This signifies the beginning of a redemption arc, in which he will by necessity need to commit a selfless act. If Ben's trend continues down a "Reverse Anakin" path, then while his father's love could not save him, his development of selfless love for Rey could. Even if you take out the romantic aspect and just say compassion, the implication here is that Rey is a vital part of Ben's redemption arc.

So based on this plus shooting news, how do I think their future scenes will go? I think Kylo/Ben will show up on Ache-To, he and Rey's connection through the Force will strengthen, she'll learn some mitigating information about him and/or he will do something that changes her mind about him being a "monster", and he will attempt to make amends for his past actions. He will likely save her from one of his Knights, as it looked like he was doing so during Rey's force vision. They will probably kiss or someone will drop the L bomb as the "I am your father" moment of Episode VIII.

In IX, I can't make too many predictions other than he'll need to perform a selfless act of sacrifice, likely on behalf of Rey, in order to redeem himself. In order to ensure there are Skywalkers for the next trilogy, he'll either need to remain alive or have left a bun in the oven before he dies. This is an epic space opera/fairy tale (and a family movie, so unless they're married there will be no bun in the oven), so perhaps he sacrifices himself and then is brought back through their Force connection/bond in a classic Kiss of Life. -@MeadowofAshes

6. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Very nice Reylo4life Thanks for those contributions.

Reylo4life likes this.
  7. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    It rhymes!

Now call me crazy but is it just me or has there been little to almost no romance in the recent stuff? SWR, little to none although there is strong friendships. TFA, little to none. Rogue One, little to none.

I'm not the only one? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I don't think you understand that this is a fanclub. Making light of another poster isn't cool Darth Basin Let it go. We like Reylo, you don't. Adding an unlikely romance would be good for the saga IMO. Saving others from a path of darkness is an SW theme. This would just be a different way for it to happen.

Reylo4life likes this.
  9. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

You were warned.

[​IMG]

MandoArtist likes this.
  10. Reylo4life

Mar 1, 2017
    Thanks Everyone! You know how to make a girl feel good! Even if the ship doesn't unfold like we hope it does, how ridiculously awesome is this dress?! [face_tee_hee]

[​IMG]

11. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    It would make an awesome nightshirt.

Reylo4life likes this.
  12. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    I think Rey looks at Kylo as to a lover and at Finn, as to a friend.
    So it seems Finn has been friend zoned by Rey .
    While towards Kylo, Rey feels both erotic attraction and some hate.
    Think this is what J.J tells in The Force Awakens.

13. Beercorn

Beercorn Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2017
    Rey: You will remove these restraints and leave this cell with the door open.
    Kylo Ren: What's in it for me?
    Rey: ...

14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Continued from above....

Rey: You get to keep your.....pecans.

If you know what I mean.......

15. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    There have been quite a few Reylo trailers based off of the new Beauty and the Beast film, and they are quite good.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I like that.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    See, Reylo is the SW answer to BATB!

mihaitzateo and Darth_Furio like this.
  18. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Both Rey and Kylo are beautiful, in the first episode.
    Maybe Kylo got disfigured, now, by Rey.

19. Reylo4life

Mar 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

^^^^^ A New Hope [face_love][face_love] Hamill knows whats up ;);) Reylo 12/15/17

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  20. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Looks like they're having fun.

21. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Now we need a Reylo family cosplay, and we're set. There was an adorable FinnRey family photo last April.

22. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    My big question has to be this; if it's revealed that Rey is Luke's daughter (which is a pretty good possibility) will this fanclub still go on? Or will there still be some hope of forbidden love? Not trying to troll, just wondering how strong the desire to see Reylo is.

23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    If it is confirmed that Rey is in fact Luke's daughter, this fan club will still go on at least long enough for all the members to satisfy their need to say, "What?" "No way!" "Oh, rats!"...... etc.

24. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Lol, I can see that.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    That would be a disaster, since I've been a proud member of Team Skywalker since TFA first came out.