main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's heritage discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DubJedi, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DubJedi

DubJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    OK, apologies if this already has its own thread but I haven't been able to find one specifically on this, and I think it's the most important question of the new trilogy.
    It's actually quite clever film-making, in that it leaves you wanting to know, yet there are so many clues and allusions to play with and discuss.
    In saying that, this is possibly just over-thinking it all, because (I hope) they've made it pretty obvious.
    She really must be Luke's daughter. Nothing else would make sense from a story perspective. Here are all the reasons I think so.

• for a start, from months ago, the first line from the second trailer (). It's new dialogue from Luke ("the force is strong in my family") but not used in the film. I think, given that Kylo/Ben has always known he's strong, it wouldn't be a flashback to him saying it to Kylo. He's saying it to Ren. And she's in his family.
    • all the various parallels with Luke's background: scavenger, the sun etc etc
    • her natural, especially strong aptitude with the force
    • what happens when she touches the lightsaber and everything around that
    • Maz Kanata basically leading up to saying she is related to Anakin and Luke but not being explicit (because they want to have an echo of ESB)
    • Kylo revealing how she already sub-consciously knows of Luke's island sanctuary when he mind-reads her
    • Snoke saying "if what you have told us about her is true" to Ren
    • the fact the lightsaber goes to her rather than Kylo in the snow
    • the music that plays when she gets that lightsaber, it's the same as when Luke sees his aunt/uncle dead, and the moment he decides to become a Jedi
    • Artoo coming alive again when she is near (when Threepio had said that would happen with Luke - very clear link)
    • the fact Leia sends her, this unknown, to her brother
    • the ending!
    the basic way the film is constructed. They don't seem to mind it being obvious, they're not trying to second-guess you. And, to be fair, whatever about being obvious, her being Luke's daughter is just more natural. They've said it's a generational story. It makes all sense.
    I don't think they're trying to trick us or leaving red herrings.
    Anyone else have any others?
    To be honest, I'm really down with her being Luke's daughter. That's what I want to happen. Will feel a little cheated if she isn't, and it would all feel more contrived.

I think anything else is actually cheap story-telling. This *fits*

IG-13 likes this.
  2. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Well... first off, Luke's dialogue from the 2nd trailer isn't new, it's from Return of The Jedi.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  3. DubJedi

DubJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    No, it was re-recorded and that doesn't feel incidental, or just done for the sake of it.

Why would you re-record it? Why have it at all, unless it was a massive indication of the continuation of the Skywalker legacy? And Ben Solo isn't called Skywalker - which I think is important in this. These kind of "totems" matter.

4. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    Rey is a Skywalker that much is certain, don't even know why people question that. XD I am also 99% positive that she is Luke's daughter.

5. DubJedi

DubJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    I am inclined to agree with you, yes. In fact, I know, I've probably always known :p - but there is just that twinge of doubt, and the fear of red herrings, or being tricked. Haha.

6. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    JJ is really good at the mind-screw.

It would be just like him to make it so obvious that everyone thinks Rey is Luke's daughter... but she isn't.

Seeher likes this.
  7. DubJedi

DubJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    The only thing is that so much of this film has been so... obvious so far, to be fair. And it's not just his story, either.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Rey could be Kylo Ren's twin sister....

9. decimus2

decimus2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    I agree that Rey and Ben are likely twins but it is worth noting that Leia goes by the name Organa and not solo.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. decimus2

decimus2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    I would just add that in reality you don't get twins in successive generations ... So, as Leia is already a twin, it is unlikely any children she has are too. 2¢

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    I think she is Rey Special. Kylo is the Skywalker.
    OT you have Obi-Wan and then Yoda teaching Luke who faces his father.
    Non Skywalker teachers, Skywalker student, Skywalker villain.
    Skywalker teacher, non Skywalker student, Skywalker villain.
    Changes the dynamic and also Luke trained Kylo before he turned evil, like Obi-Wan trained Anakin, before he turned evil.

Gala likes this.
  12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    No. You can get twins in succession. Twins can also run in families (though the maternal line) or they can be sporadic.

In reality, the fact that Leia is a twin (a fraternal, rather than an identical one) actually on Earth, would increase her chances of having twins.

13. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    I think the safe best is Rey is Lukes daughter, which begs the more exciting question, who is her mother?

Exciting opportunity to introduce another new character there...

The overall arc of the trilogy (imo) will be Solo VS Skywalker, with Rey trying to redeem or handle Kylo, who already has a kickstart on his force training. It could go several ways (she fails and he turns pure evil, or she fully redeems him, or she redeems him and they fight snoke together etc etc)

IG-13 and EviL_eLF like this.
  14. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Rey the REAL chosen one mentioned in the prophesy.

Would be quite the twist.

15. jaxbrah

jaxbrah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    the looks that han gives her and the loving embrace leia gives her while not even knowing her (supposedly) suggests to me that shes either hans and leias daughter OR she is lukes daughter and they know it

16. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    In the novel, Kylo Ben recognises her after the Skywalker lightsabre flies over to her sooo .. yeah. My name is probably Britney at this point, since Leia would probably not forget having a second kid.

17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I can't see how it makes sense for her to be Luke's daughter. She seems to remember her parents. Going by that vision she was about 6 or so when she was left. Unless Luke gave her to foster parents who dumped her.

By the way mods, there's a Rey's heritage thread, a Rey's parentage thread & the main Rey thread. Maybe that's 1 or 2 too many.

18. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002
    Please let's make her a Kenobi.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Not bad [face_thinking]

Problem is if Ben is the only next gen Skywalker (& he doesn't have the Skywalker name) how can the family line continue?

20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Hmmm, that may not necessarily denote that she is a Skywalker though. It could be someone that Snoke/Kylo were waiting for or perhaps a a girl who survived the academy.

She is special though, no doubt about that.

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

The Skywalker name ends either way. Whether Rey is a Skywalker or a random.

22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Not necessarily. She may have a kid & not observe that naming custom. Her partner may offer to call their kid Skywalker to honor her family.

dragonchic likes this.
  23. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

More likely the father dies if that goes down. But then we're getting convoluted again. You then have to hope you keep on popping out sons. Cause it doesn't seem its common practice(in the Star Wars universe)for name to pass maternally.

Personally? I just want the Skywalker stuff to be over.

24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Han didn't seem to recognize her, but Leia did IMO. Leia knew through the force that she is Luke's daughter, which is why Leia sent her to get Luke...knowing only his daughter could get him back from his own personal exile.

Dark Lady Mara and Dory Vader like this.
  25. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    I suppose it is possible.

No. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.