main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Rey's history

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Oct 10, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Decided to make this thread over here because the Rey history/Lineage thread over at the TLJ movie section has been ruined for a long time.

So after viewing this last trailer what are your feelings about what Rey's history will end up being?Before this trailer I was firmly on the boat that she was just going to end up being a regular force sensitive (albeit with a great amount of potential) who came from regular parents.

After viewing this trailer though I think it is quite clear that she is going to be something extraordinary. Still not on board with her turning out to be a Skywalker or Solo though as I think that would make it too difficult to explain her being left on Jakku as well as it would handcuff them in making future movies post ST because they would almost have to do the next generation handoff almost every time.

I am now really leaning towards the whole Balance of the Force thing. She was born into the galaxy with such power as a way to balance out Ben Solo's power

2. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I have a hunch that she might be related to Snoke. Maybe she's Snoke's lost daughter or a relative.

3. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That is possible. Not sure if Snoke is intended to be human though. If he is though that is definitely a possibility.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Wait! Have we come to the point where balance = Dark and Light? I really wouldn't be surprised if that's what Disney is doing.

5. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    If she's not a Skywalker its going to somewhat fly in the face of the "numbered episodes" being primarily a story of the Skywalker lineage. That's always been the whole goal and intention of the movies.

I decided to spoiler the rest of my response as its based on the new trailer, but if you've seen it its really nothing surprising.

From the new trailer when Luke makes his comment about "potential" (Its a trailer, should that be spoilered? That seems pretty much public knowledge...I have no idea), the comparison he's making is clearly intended to be Kylo/Ben to Rey.

Makes sense that this level of potential would be similar between Leia's son (Ben) and Luke's daughter (Rey). And if Luke admits not being scared enough of Ben's potential, and now being scared of Rey's actually opens up a logical explanation of why Luke would have chosen to leave Rey on Jakku so that she didn't turn out to be a second Kylo. (It appears that Kylo is about a decade older than Rey or so)

6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Still think she is Luke's daughter.

And still believe the best story would have been if she was Han/Leia's daughter.

As for her story in the movie - bringing Balance to the Force, founding a new Jedi Order, repeating history, making me ask what is the point of the ST :p

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd rule her out of being a Solo for the reason that Han and Leia would know if they had a daughter. Doesn't rule her out of being a Skywalker though.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    As long as they don't go with:

1 Darksider + 1 Lightsider = Balance

So no Rey and Kylo going off and making a new order together, while Kylo is still succumbed to the darkness.

9. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's possible they may go the route in other sci-fi works, where Rey is technically Luke's daughter even though he never marries or has a relationship.

We know Snoke wants super-powered Force people to use, hence his corrupting Ben/Kylo. But wouldn't Snoke have originally gone for a direct relative of Luke? I'm guessing Snoke stole some of Luke's blood, created Rey in a lab on Jakku (which was an Imperial installation per Aftermath), then lost the project sometime during the rise of the First Order. Snoke then settled for corrupting Kylo instead thinking Rey was dead.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    She's gonna be the master of all four elements.

Gamiel and Mia Mesharad like this.
  11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I've always rationalised the "overpowered" Rey force moments from TFA as the force USING Rey as opposed to Rey using the force.

I don't know if it's just non-nuanced acting on Daisy Ridley's part or just plain bad writing but she always comes across as unrealistically (seeing as she's not a trained force user and in mortal peril) calm and confident whenever she taps into the force in during the star killer segments

Simply put I think the force has awoken and it's possessing Rey

12. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I think that Rey might not be related to anyone special, though it would be awesome if she was related to Palpatine in someway. I still don't understand why people think that Rey and Kylo are related in terms of being brother and sister, there is almost zero context for that, even if you disregard the new EU.

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think Rey Palpatine is interesting. Apparently some say there are similarities in Rey's fighting style in TFA and Palpatine's in ROTS, although I haven't compared the 2 films next to each other myself.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    She can be a Skywalker.

Way back when Anakin Skywalker went off in a huff over something ObiWan said, got absolutely blasted on speeder fuel, had a drunken shag with an equally blasted woman, nine months later, with the Empire ruling the galaxy the woman kept her newborn very, very quiet.

That kid in turn had a kid thus Rey.

15. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    That would be most interesting.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Whatever it ends up being I do think it is going to turn out to be a bit of a twist that lots of people weren't expecting. If she was just going to end up being the kid of the main character of the whole Star Wars saga I don't really see there being much point to making it be such a big secret.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Who says they don't though? Theoretically, Leia could have had a daughter without Han knowing, and just not mentioned it during TFA.

ftr I agree with you, it would be pretty silly if that were the case, but not impossible.

18. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    It would feel very shoehorned in that's for sure.

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I think she is a Kenobi

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That would have to take place before Han met Leia - it would be a bit hard for her to conceal a pregnancy during the OT era or during their marriage - and Rey would have to be Leia's granddaughter rather than daughter - and not a Solo as well.

For the timeline to work (assuming no disturbingly young pregnancies - getting pregnant at 16 is about the lower limit to be plausible, for protagonists, in a family-friendly franchise like Star Wars) Leia would have had to have gotten pregnant, had a child, and given it up for adoption, between the Leia Princess of Alderaan novel and ANH - and that child could have given birth to a child some 17 or so years later (since Rey is 19, TFA is 30 years after ROTJ, and 19+17 = 36, 36 years before TFA is 2 years before ANH.)

Leia's child could have been born in 2BBY when Leia was 17 at the time.

I don't think it's particularly likely that Rey is Leia's granddaughter though, even if she's young enough to be.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah unless you're someone who chooses to ignore everything but the movies there is no way Leia could have had another child after Ben without her family finding out about it. Even though Han and Leia separated at some point during the 30 year time period they were still in pretty consistent communication with each other. Leia and Han talked over the Holovid during the Bloodline novel and it didn't sound like they ever went too terribly long without talking to one another even as far back as 28ABY.

Iron_lord and kalzeth like this.
  22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I have a very strong feeling now that they may go the "Logan" route--basically, Rey is Luke's daughter stolen from his DNA (possibly even from his right hand, tying into Maz's possession of the Skywalker lightsaber) and created on an Imperial lab in Jakku as a failsafe if the Empire was ever destroyed. The project was lost but Kylo heard rumors about it, leading to his panic in TFA when he hears about a Force strong Jakku girl.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Though I don't think its likely, I'm really on board with Rey Palpatine. Something about the Granddaughter of the ultimate embodiment of evil having to save the galaxy from the grandson of the chosen one would make me exceedingly exited.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Depending on how much of Luke's DNA was used

(it's possible to use nearly all of it - some science fiction, like Heinlein, has women cloned from men, who, besides the gender, are genetically almost identical, by doubling the X chromosome and removing the Y chromosome)

wouldn't Rey be blonde if she was basically a female Luke clone - given that blonde is a recessive gene?

Jedi Knight Fett and kalzeth like this.
  25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    A brunette Inquisitor, called say First Sister, could have impregnated herself with Luke's DNA.

kalzeth likes this.