main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's 'Island in the Sea'... Or something like that. (Potential spoiler)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by gemillie, Dec 28, 2015.

1. gemillie

gemillie Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2015
    I keep thinking about the scene where Kylo Ren looks into Rey's mind and talks about an island in the sea. Is this a direct reference to where we find Luke at the end?? Maybe she's been there before?? Or is it just either somewhere shes dreamt of or a throwaway line?

2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I think it was a vision of where she was going. I don't believe she has ever been there before.

ShaneP and Force22 like this.
  3. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    It's definitely an intentional reference to Rey finally meeting Luke at the end of the film. I'd reckon it's her having a Force vision of the future, but she never understood it until now and it's been her 'comfort' while living on Jakku.

TK327 likes this.
  4. gemillie

gemillie Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2015
    I thought that maybe, because she has the vision of fighting Kylo Ren in the snow when she touches Luke's lightsaber. But how can Kylo Ren have the image of where she is going yet the audience don't see it because we don't see Rey acknowledging that?

5. Java_The_Hutt_

Java_The_Hutt_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    I believe it is a direct reference to where we find Luke at the end.

I think that Luke possibly allowed these visions to be in Rey's mind in the event that one day she might need to find him.

gemillie likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I can't remember which series it was in the EU, but there was a point where Leia was talking to Luke about Jacen and I remember him telling her that he was basically force jamming him visions through the force that he was confusing him with.

Even though that is non canon, I wonder if that has been incorporated into the NEU? I believe Luke has known what was going to happen in TFA from the onset. So it wouldn't surprise me that even though he left and hasn't been seen he could still be disrupting the things in the force so Snoke and Kylo can't get a good feel for the future?

7. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Leia sees where Luke is in TESB because she's his sister.

gemillie likes this.
  8. gemillie

gemillie Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2015

That's a really good idea. I'm super new to the EU and its so vast I don't even know where to start so I would've never thought of that! I can see them taking some stuff from the non canon EU. That could also maybe explain Rey's use of the force being really good without training, as it is Luke possibly weakening her opponents using the force?

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Yep but they seem to be not playing by OT rules...they are more like guidelines. :)

10. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    During Rey's vision at Maz's castle, she sees the islands on the sea-world where she finds Luke. So it seems clear that in the Force interrogation, Ren was seeing Rey's vision of the future, which she had had in the past.

11. digduglas

digduglas Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    Was there a snippet of the islands in her lightsaber vision quest??? There was so much going on...I must have missed that.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  12. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    Yes, there was an aerial shot of the islands during the vision. Someone back me up on this!

13. Gixen

Gixen Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    You can tell by the look on her face when she sees the island that she recognice the place. Also, Chewie looks at her in a "confused" kinda way at the same time.

Island is not in Rey's vision afaik.

14. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    No, there is not an vision about the island during flashback.

15. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Force sensitive people can see the future. He saw her vision of the future.

Yoda: "Through the force, things you will see. Other places. The future. The past."

Winged_Jedi and ShaneP like this.
  16. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    Am I out of my mind? Is that island not in her vision?? Apologies if not.

17. Breakin2

Breakin2 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 24, 2002
    Islands in the stream. That is what we are.

Artoo-Dion and DavidSword79 like this.
  18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yoda also talked about it being people you knew. Old friends as Yoda put it. Then again it seems what happened in the OT is guidelines not a code if Jack Sparrow was here.

jedijax

Right its where his sister was. There was a connection. I think Rey's vision which has been around for years (it brought her comfort at nigh) was similar. There is a connection between the two of them.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Luke saw a city in the clouds in ESB.