main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's lightsaber style

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Fetta, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Fetta

Darth Fetta Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2015
    Ok so everyone can agree that prior to letting the force in, Rey was using the saber akin to her staff. Jabbing, stabbing, etc..

However, after her awakening, she not only uses Anakin's overhead power swing but also use's a reverse grip attack, which BTW looks to be well coordinated.

What Jedi uses this style?

2. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    This guy

[​IMG]

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Rey Dickhead confirmed.

4. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I noticed she did a lot of thrusting attacks which reminded me of Palpatine's fight with Windu and the other Jedi.

5. Darth Fetta

Dec 25, 2015
    [​IMG]

Striking using this style. Starkiller from force unleashed

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Didn't Daisy stay it was based off Maul?

7. Darth Fetta

Dec 25, 2015
    I didn't get a chance to see what she said, however it's clear that after letting the force in, she employs a coordinated barrage of reverse grip swings that put her in another level of training. It looks to be designed to confuse the opponent and overwhelm them.

8. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    This one? But I think she was based on Starkiller anyways.

[​IMG]

Now, I don't remember Rey using a reverse grip. Maybe I have to watch it again?

9. Darth Fetta

Dec 25, 2015
    After pushing Kylo away from her near the precipice, she goes into a heavy overhead strike ala Anakin, then a coordinated barrage of reverse grip swings. Wayy beyond the basic stabbing, jabbing from earlier. Either she was trained prior or it's the force flowing through her big time.

10. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    The Force got pissed off and went berserk with Rey.

Anakin.Skywalker and Dak Oolron like this.
  11. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Is the overhead strike she uses similar to the one that Luke uses on Vader at the end of the duel on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi? Can't remember from the movie.

12. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    She definitely got some steroid technique ala Force.

I also noticed Kylo uses the overhead strike against Finn, too. I noticed it while posting a gif for someone requesting his lil' spin he does.

13. BombBurro

BombBurro Jedi Padawan

Dec 28, 2015
    Pretty sure all his strikes including tantrums where overhead....

14. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

Mmm, he does a lot of one handed combat against Finn and even against Rey for a bit.

There's one very specific move before he does his little spin against Finn, that's identical to what Anakin did to Dooku. I don't know if you can say oh! he does an overhead swing like Anakin! Cuz I'm sure a lot of them do (did).. but I noticed it as a comparison for some reason.

15. ReyKenobi

ReyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Dec 29, 2015
    I've seen some people comparing her technique to that of Obi Wan's. Can anyone back this up?

16. Azpiri

Azpiri Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I don't know. Maybe it's me... but the "reverse grip" could simply be using the "lower half" of her staff. Looking at the picture provided above, and extend the saber as if it were a bo staff... I could see it as attacking with the lower half of the staff, which she would be wont to do. She then needs to reposition her hands and the saber if she goes for a "normal" strike.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    The duel reminded me so much of Vader and Obi-Wan on Mustafar. Rey uses a lot of stabs like Obi Wan, but the started bashing Kylo like Luke did Vader on the Death Star when Vader threatened Leia. And the angry look on her face when she overpowered Kylo looked just like Darth Maul after he impaled Qui Gon and before the energy field opened and let Obi Wan in. She is a delightful mystery.

18. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    She, like her father and grandfather, has plenty of dark side running through her veins.

19. Giando74

Giando74 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    Re-watched TFA again yesterday night and... for me a lot of Rey's moves are clearly Palpatine's style (i'm referring to the very first secne with his red lightsaber in ROTS when facing Windu and the other Jedi): anyone else noticed it?

20. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  21. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

As Giando74 quite right rightly pointed out, Palpatine and Rey share a very similar lightsaber technique with greater emphasis on short jabbing motions.

22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Woah!!

Darth Formidious likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In those clips, they're both in the archer's guard position, body turned approximately 90 degrees to the right of the opponent, hilt close to the chest, point aimed at the opponent, and they make a forward thrust from that position. It's a very basic attack, nothing complex about it. The facial expressions make it seem more aggressive than it is.

24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Wait. You're not suggesting that saber form in the movies is purely aesthetic and not functional/realistic, are you?

Sarge likes this.
  25. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Did you have premonitions like Anakin?

[​IMG]
    Also, her lightsaber form is indeed pretty similar to Palpatine's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J7Luke and Ricardo Funes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.