main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by tib2d2, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tib2d2

tib2d2 Jedi Knight

Sep 9, 2011
    Do you think she'll incorporate her staff into her lightsaber that she'll eventually have?

They've already introduced new styles of lightsabers (Ren's), and she fights with her staff.

Might be unique and look pretty sweet.

Mav Edit: This should be the thread to discuss Rey having a lightsaber in general.

Tanjint, dekaneas and Sarge like this.
  2. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    I've been thinking seriously on this matter... I'm honestly not sure that Rey is going to get a new lightsaber of her own. TFA goes a long way to mystify the Bespin lightsaber in particular. The old comparison to "Excalibur" is very much brought to the forefront of the film on this regard- Rey is meant to wield it.

3. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Completely agree and as we saw in the pivotal force duel scene when the saber was lodged in the snow (i.e. Excalibur) the merit versus birthright debate is now truly in play, although it could be all mute discussion if she's actually is a Skywalker but that debate others can have, in another thread; I think the "Skywalker" lightsaber stays with Rey.

4. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    I would rather have Rey build her own -

1) having a double blade saber fits her fighting style.

2) every Jedi and every Sith in the movies and books built their own sabers as a Right of Passage.

Then again if she kept the saber -

1) it would show great discipline to learn a new style of fighting. And commitment as well, it can be done just not easily.

2) an unintentional dig at Ben at every fight, teasing him by using the saber that he believes should be his.

3) Plus, I know it is a film but I wonder how practical a double blade saber really is. They look cool, yes, but in reality you can only handle a small 3 foot section. And unlike a blade, that small part is kept out and away from the body while a saber keeps the hilt closer to the body and thus harder to destroy.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think having Ray keep Anakin's lightsaber would be best IMO.

Tanjint and Wildcatbarry like this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I think she should keep it, possibly build it into her staff. Use it like those pike sabers in old EU maybe? Or Luke could just train her to wield it normally

Tanjint and plaidphoenix like this.
  7. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    I feel fairly confident that the staff will be incorporated into her own lightsaber. The staff was marketed as being a big part of her character, and yet once she leaves Jakku she really makes no use of it. I don't think its a coincidence that the staff suddenly reappears when she goes off to find Luke after being gone for most of the 2nd and 3rd act. I also find it hard to believe that they would make Daisey learn a complicated staff based martial arts style, if she only actually uses it in one minor fight scene.

8. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    She use her Bo training against Ben n the forest. Those thrust are the kind you use with a staff, I believe.

9. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015

Interesting. I don't know a lot about bo training, so I'd be interested to hear how it factors in or transfers to a more traditional sword. I still can't shake the feeling though that the staff will end up being incorporated in her lightsaber in one way or another.

I mean just think about it. As awesome has Rey was in TFA, could you imagine her with a Darth Maul esque lightsaber and fighting style? That would almost be too much awesomeness to handle.

Tanjint, Darkslayer and Seeher like this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes. a staff that has retractable ends and becomes a double bladed saber.

Tanjint likes this.
  11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    She'll be getting Anakin's old lightsaber; that's why it was calling for her.

Tanjint likes this.
  12. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    A saber staff would be sweet. It would probably work best for her. I just hope it won't be blue or green.

Tanjint likes this.
  13. Dale_Cooper

Dale_Cooper Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2015

It almost has to be, though, doesn't it?

We know it can't be red, and purple is Mace Windu's alone, so what else would/could it be?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OT only had blue, green and red as sabre colors. The PT added purple, and only to Mace. It was the EU that added other colors.

14. Qui_Za_Miokl

Qui_Za_Miokl Jedi Master

Nov 14, 2008
    I guess it depends on whether Luke will use Anakin's lightsaber or if his still has one like he used in ROTJ.

Tanjint and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  15. DAMAZIG

DAMAZIG Jedi Master

Jan 27, 2003
    Rey using a saber Staff or dual darthmaul style lightsaber? makes sense due to story, lore and just look at the episode VII poster, just step back a bit and it looks like her staff is a lightsaber ;)

Tanjint likes this.
  16. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Yeah you are right. I'm just bored of only these colours. I want orange, or at least yellow.

Tanjint likes this.
  17. owl89

owl89 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    A double-bladed lightsaber in Episode 8 please! Maybe she could use Luke's blue on one end then use the one she built on the other end.

Tanjint and morrison85 like this.
  18. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    She should keep Anakin's lightsaber. The saber chose her.

Plus the blue fits Rey. She looked awesome with it.

Tanjint and The Jaded Irk like this.
  19. interxavier01

interxavier01 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    She can always take out the Kyber crystal in Anakin's lightsaber and use it along with a new one to build a dual bladed lightsaber.

Tanjint likes this.
  20. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    Clone Wars and the comics (and Rebels) canonized tons of lightsaber colors (white, yellow, aqua, black, etc etc) ... I'm hoping for some variation on the old red/blue/green motif. I think yellow seems like a good fit.

Tanjint and morrison85 like this.
  21. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    Sorry, when did they add yellow? I don't remember seeing it in either series. And aqua's just a shade of blue. I'd even argue that Asoka's white lightsabers are just very light blue. The only genuinely new color I can remember them adding was black, for the darksaber, which was incredibly lame.

Tanjint likes this.
  22. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000

if I'm not mistaken, Hidalgo said that they were white to show that she was not affiliated with the Jedi or the Sith. I'm not sure but I think the Temple Guards may have had a shade of yellow but I may be mistaken...

Tanjint likes this.
  23. Zev.Love.X

Jan 13, 2015
    Yellow has been used in the (canon) comics a few times. If we are talking only primary and secondary colors (which appears to be what you are implying by saying white and aqua are shades of blue) ... Then I think we have already seen all the possible colors except maybe orange. In fact, orange might have been used in a canon comic as well I can't remember. Otherwise, we already have white, black, yellow, blue, red, green and purple.

Tanjint likes this.
  24. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    Depends on which comics they were in if they were to be canon, I dont follow things as closely as I once did, but I guess if Disney wanted to they could throw any color from the crayola box in there...

Tanjint likes this.
  25. Zev.Love.X

Jan 13, 2015
    I'm referring to canon comics

Tanjint likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.