main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Lineage / Parentage / Name

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by interxavier01, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Who are Rey's parents?

1. Luke and ????

84.2%
  2. Han and Leia

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. interxavier01

interxavier01 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    This is assuming that she is really Luke's daughter. (Not that I believe it's true but that's a different matter)

With 30 years of back story needing to be uncovered, what is the story of Rey's mother? Is she dead? Is she still alive? Is she under Snoke's captivity?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Wonderllama

Wonderllama Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2013
    I get the sense they're never gonna show her on screen. She's just this woman Luke met, maybe killed by Kylo Ren.

3. interxavier01

Dec 18, 2015

The very reason I hate the idea of Luke being her father. A huge plot hole is left with Rey's mother.

4. Markpro

Markpro Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    Kylo Ren killed her when he turned to the darkside while Luke's padawan...maybe :cool:

5. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Jacen Solo killed Mara Jade, right?

Kylo Ren killed Luke's wife/lover, whoever is she.

6. interxavier01

Dec 18, 2015
    Pretty much everyone is leaning on the idea that Luke is her father. I don't see why JJ won't use another bait-and-switch like he did with Finn supposedly being force-sensitive. I remember when we first learned their names, people started calling Finn the new Luke Skywalker. The production team saw this and decided to show Finn with a lightsaber just to throw more people off.

7. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    While I can see Luke as being her father, I actually prefer the idea of Rey being Han and Leia's daughter. For Luke to have a daughter, you'd have to spend the next movie (or two) going into Luke's backstory, to explain someone being Rey's mother, and why they were apart at the end and why Rey ended up being abandoned, and for Luke to have also loved and lost just like Han and Leia is far too much, IMO

8. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    My opinion is that we've already met or at least seen Rey's mother somewhere else, we just don't know it yet. When we find out who she is, it should reverberate back through canon and send tons of people off to buy what she's been in already. With that in mind, my top choices for Rey's mother are:

-Felicity Jones' character from Rogue One (she's the only non-OT to be given a movie so far, the timeline matches pretty well, and she looks like Rey)
    -Aphra from Darth Vader (she's Vader's personal agent, a play on Mara Jade, she knows the story of Luke and Leia's mother, and she also looks like Rey)​
    -Shara Bey from Shattered Empire (Poe's mother; she's the least likely choice here, but she was given a lead role and that would make Rey and Poe half-siblings).​

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003

That is a few lines of exposition in Episode 8. The look on Luke's face at the end of the film already shows that Luke has loved and lost. He is in exile having lost everything. This would just explain what he went through.

10. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    But isn't it enough for Luke to have felt his failure with Kylo Ren and the end of his Jedi Academy as enough loss? Why does he also have to have loved and lost a woman and a child?

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    This is why I don't think Rey is his daughter - a huge plot hole in who the mother is/was

iluvkoalas likes this.
  12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Rey having an unknown mother as yet is not a plot hole. It's story we don't yet know.

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Isn't this 7SA or "Rey's Parentage" thread stuff?

Satipo likes this.
  14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Ah, yeah, sorry. My bad!

15. stoteh

stoteh Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2015
    You're quite right, however this was in the marketing to the film that they threw us off. This is the ACTUAL movie that is implying she's Luke Skywalker's offspring, and if you watch it the second time (I just did last night), I dunno about you guys but I really really am more convinced that she's Luke Skywalker's daughter. I actually have a theory I will post in another more appropriate thread about it, that Rey actually knows this and is told offscreen by Leia just before she goes to meet Luke. The second time watching the movie really made me feel this if you watch Rey closely in the last few scenes.

16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    There was no mother. Luke carried him, he gave birth, he raised him. He can't explain what happened.

17. JediDrunk

JediDrunk Jedi Knight

Dec 18, 2015
    I don't see why people think it would be hard to come up with a plausible backstory for Rey's mother if she is indeed Luke's daughter. It could be as easy as Luke meeting someone/falling in love and then she dies during child birth. This could be done with a few lines of exposition.

18. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    After a night of hard drinking on corucant, Luke wakes up with more than beer in his stomach. :p

19. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Maybe, no, and no.

20. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Rey: "What happened to my mother?"
    Luke: "Exposition. she died to Kylo."

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rey is quite young in the movie, and Kylo if that scene is literal was an adult while she was a small child. Maybe she had no mother or father, she was born through the Force.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  22. jaxxxxx

jaxxxxx Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    I'll go with:

Leia is not Luke's sister after all, nor is she Anakin's daughter. The princess was a decoy to protect the real twin daughter because that's how Padme's family history rolls.
    When Luke said to Obi-Wan that Leia is his sister, Obi-wan did not actually confirm or deny anything. And we know Obiwan has a history of deception by claiming
    that he sees the truth from a different point of view. Obi-wan obviously still wanted to keep the twin sister identity secret, even to the extend of pointing Luke in the wrong
    direction again. So that would make Rey the daughter of the real twin daughter of Anakin and Padme.

Other than that theory, Rey is the daughter of Wedge, the best fighter pilot in the galaxy where there is no such thing as luck. This would make the third star wars series
    a winner in the populist category, opposite the empire and jedi entitlement system.

23. Bran Kenobi

Bran Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Rey's mother is Plasma. When she finds out they threw her in the trash compactor her journey to the dark side will be complete. :emperor:

cwustudent likes this.
  24. andromedasteps

andromedasteps Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2015
    It'd make sense if Felicity Jones's character in Rogue One is Rey's mother. Rogue One is released in between TFA and Episode VIII, which would be a chance to explore the identity of Rey's mother without having to just leave it at some lines of exposition in Episode VIII. There's still the question of what happened to her afterwards during the time skip between the OT and the ST, though. Either she died in the backstory (killed by Kylo or something like that) or she's alive and plot-relevant, and I don't think we can get into the latter without just speculating about Episode VIII itself.

lexu likes this.
  25. The Jaded Irk

The Jaded Irk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2014
    Leia. Gotta keep the bloodline pure. Han wasn't happy!

Maryie, iluvkoalas, MeBeJedi and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.