main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Lineage / Parentage / Name

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by interxavier01, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Who are Rey's parents?

1. Luke and ????

84.2%
  2. Han and Leia

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I can buy the MF getting stolen from Han. We see in the OT that Han is not as "smooth" as he seems to think that he is, and that doesn't seem to have changed much over the decades. His "talking his way out of trouble" usually means "utterly fail to do that, and then just shoot my way out instead." So another shady character managed to get the better of him at one point, it's not that hard to buy (it's happened before after all).

And no, Finn doesn't fly anything. His not being a pilot is a plot-point (it's why he needed to bust out Poe in the first place, because Poe IS a pilot, and it's how Rey gets involved in the main plot). He DOES prove to be quite good at figuring out how to use ships guns (TIE cannons, MF gun turrets) despite having never used them before.

Tanjint, RobbyV and Colm like this.
  2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I'm wondering how similar the controls are between the two ships.

Tanjint likes this.
  3. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean he mentions having experience with a blaster, and Poe tells him that the "same principle" applies to the TIE cannons. And it takes him a little bit to get the hang of the gun turrets (just like Rey destroys part of Nima Outpost while trying to take off, another parallel between them perhaps). But he seems to just, as they say, "catch on quick." And the actually triggers probably aren't that different, it's just a matter of figuring out the different targeting systems.

Tanjint and IamZam like this.
  4. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Tanjint, I'm speaking as a "GA" representative here -- I think I've said it here that when I first watched all of the PT I only watched them once. I can fully understand why Kasdan didn't know who Plagueis was -- as a character he was just some hearsay from Palpatine, his name mentioned only once in all of Star Wars films in a five-minute conversation. Movie viewers aren't expected to remember something mentioned in such a seemingly innocuous scene then never again. Plagueis was really just a tool to flesh out Palpatine's character -- as a great manipulator and opportunist. He was also important in so far as providing the justification for Anakin's conversion -- the power to prevent loved ones from dying. In that scene Plagueis had served his purpose. So I really doubt anything will come out of it in the new trilogy. I'd bet $1000 that over 50% of people who watched all the PT once don't know his name, $700 that over 70% don't know him, and maybe $500 for 80%. Now if Lucas had presented the scene differently -- with flashback scenes of Plagueis while Palpatine was narrating -- then yes, you could probably expect Lucas was intending to come back to that character some day. But the way it was done -- name mentioned once in the whole of six films, I really doubt you'd see any more of him outside of EU or maybe future canon material outside of films (and those stories of Plagueis now in Legends status).

In the same manner, TFA makes no mention of prophecies and obviously the OT didn't as well. I think that's a sign of things to come (or not to come). Personally I thought of that prophecy as another tool for character development as well -- it was a retcon to help shape Qui Gon as having had instincts superior to the other Jedi council members. This is probably another thing a lot of the GA who watched PT don't remember, though I woudn't say it's as many as those who don't know Plagueis. Interesting though, that the novel has something else seemingly overriding the prophecy.

Tanjint and Raz Zaphon like this.
  5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    But the TFA novel does, as did the early ANH scripts....but you're right; the OT and TFA films don't mention it. The ANH novel does have this line from the "Journal of the Whills", which is presumably where the original prophecy came from:

Journal of the Whills "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes."

Tanjint, RobbyV, Colm and 1 other person like this.
  6. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    The Falcon isn't just a ship, it's a character in it's own right.

I think it may have some say in who is "the right crew".

Posted by HAL 9000 via Tapatalk

Tanjint and MeBeJedi like this.
  7. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

I didn't see that in the novel. Which page was this on? The only reference to the Journal I saw was on the page preceding the "crawl" text.

Tanjint likes this.
  8. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

http://www.coffeewithkenobi.com/an-...novelization-by-guest-blogger-mike-macdonald/

Tanjint and Colm like this.
  9. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015
    Ok, stupid me... I misread. I thought MeBeJedi said the TFA novel :oops:

Tanjint and MeBeJedi like this.
  10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I would never mislead you. ;)

Tanjint likes this.
  11. Little_Boots

Little_Boots Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of Reys family ship. We see her with her parents.
    I believe Rey knows who her parents are because if she had her mind erased or her memory, she would accept Jakku as her home and not want to seek anyone.
    If Luke was her father. She would run up to him and hug him, at least that's what i would do if I saw a relative of mine. So..... If Reys memory was erased, she wouldn't be expecting anyone. Yet she is... Hmmmm

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

Tanjint and Raz Zaphon like this.
  12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I'd be wary about taking an artist's concept as canon.

Tanjint and Drewton like this.
  13. Little_Boots

Dec 23, 2015
    It's from the book The Art of Star Wars the Force Awakens though. It's official concept.

Tanjint likes this.
  14. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    This was in a similar book.

[​IMG]

Tanjint likes this.
  15. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    I still think Kylo ditched Rey on Jakku with Unkar Plutt and the MF was payment to keep her and his mouth shut. IMHO Kylo stole MF from Han when he leaves Luke's academy for Snoke.

Tanjint likes this.
  16. Little_Boots

Dec 23, 2015
    At least the image I posted could be seen in the force awakens

Tanjint likes this.
  17. Little_Boots

Dec 23, 2015
    What's MF???

Tanjint likes this.
  18. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Actually, it wasn't.

Tanjint likes this.
  19. Little_Boots

Dec 23, 2015
    It was we saw the ship going away. So that's her family ship and Rey yelled come back so she knows who she is and she is waiting for someone so her memory wasn't erased. Of it was erased she wouldn't be waiting for anyone.

Tanjint likes this.
  20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    We see A ship leaving, and we know that she believes that people whom she THINKS are her family, will come back for her one day. But we don't know if she's correct about them being her family, and she didn't seem to consciously recall being left on Jakku until she touches the Bespin Saber.

Basically it's way too ambiguous/unclear right now to make any solid conclusions, imo.

21. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015
    Little_Boots,

This concept art was also in the book, an image of Rey watching a trader family leaving Jakku:

[​IMG]

Tanjint, MeBeJedi and Little_Boots like this.
  22. Little_Boots

Dec 23, 2015
    Well I read the story before the one they have now was supposed to centre around her wanting to leave Jakku desperately and not stay much like Luke but they chose the opposite of that and instead had her desperate to stay on Jakku

Tanjint likes this.
  23. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Little_Boots: MF is Millennium Falcon.

And official concept art is still just concept. Remember, in concept form Luke was supposed to be female and Han Solo a green skinned alien, so concept art does not equal final canon. Only the movies count in the end.

Tanjint and ChildOfWinds like this.
  24. Little_Boots

Dec 23, 2015
    Well I was just giving an opinion sorry of I offended anyone.

Tanjint likes this.
  25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    No one was offended... You just need to be careful what you call "canon". Concept art is just an artist drawing the writer's ideas.... and those ideas can change during production/filming.

Tanjint likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.