main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Lineage / Parentage / Name

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by interxavier01, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Who are Rey's parents?

1. Luke and ????

84.2%
  2. Han and Leia

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    The age of Rey being left on Jakku was established when Daisy Ridley said about her character's backstory:

“She’s been alone for a long time. When something occurs when you’re 5, you know what went on but you don’t understand the reasoning. She's hopeful for what lies ahead, whether that involves the past or not. Hope makes people good, a lot of the time. You hope for a brighter future, and resentment is outweighed.”

That's a brilliant idea.

RobbyV and Tanjint like this.
  2. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    I want to see Kylo continue with a tri-blade because if Rey gets a double blade then we'll have a 2-person with 5-blade duel!

MeBeJedi and Colm like this.
  3. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    [face_laugh]

nightangel and Tanjint like this.
  4. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah but now she'll be able to mind-read.

I just find it awkward that they'll come back to Unkar. If he does show up with a bionic arm, then how did this happen in the movie? That would be a contradiction with the book if ever they give a different reason for his missing arm. So easiest thing is to forget about Unkar. OTOH, wouldn't that be what Rey should be doing if she wants to trace her roots?

Storm_Cloud and Tanjint like this.
  5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Again, there are plenty of contradictions between the movie and novel. But Unkar missing an arm in Ep.8 wouldn't be a contradiction, it just happened offscreen (though I agree that's not a great idea)

Tanjint likes this.
  6. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    OTOH - very good! Can't imagine Plutt ever saying that now.

I can't see them going back to Plutt as it just wastes screen time. Her character is now moving forward into the galactic conflict, so any period of introspection journeying purely to sate personal questions won't fit the story. I would imagine that someone already in universe, or to be introduced in 8 or 9, will fill in the backstory for her.

RobbyV likes this.
  7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean I could see him maybe re-appearing if Rey goes back to Jakku at some point. Like she finds out something about her backstory, and goes back to talk to him about it or something. As to whether or not that'll happen, well I'm not sure.

8. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

This actually has lots of problems, not least of which is why Rey's mom would fly billions of miles across the galaxy then fall short a couple of miles of her destination, then give her daughter to Unkar Plutt (family friend?). Then Unkar decides to keep the child instead of profiting from the possible windfall of taking her back to Luke, or selling her to the FO. This brings up sooo many new questions and character inconsistencies. Nope, very few come out of this clean -- the mom most especially.

9. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    Why fall short? Have you seen ANH? Leia on her way to Obi-Wan? Just like that.
    Why would Unkar Plutt know the significance of the girl? It would be silly to tell him her real identity and value. "Here's 100 Qatloos - can you take her to Lor San Tekka?" He keeps the girl for cheap labour.
    Mum sacrifices herself leading the FO away from her daughter - how is that bad?

ChildOfWinds and MS1 like this.
  10. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Because apparently those really simple and easy to get notions, are too "unbelievable" for some people. Yes, in freaking SW with all of the weird stuff that exists, the idea that Unkar Platt might not have known that Rey was "special," or that Rey's mom might have gotten really desperate, is where some people draw the line?

11. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    Thrawn082 - everyone's opinion is equally valuable; one might misinterpret your post as a veiled dig at people who don't agree, but we're just having a fun discussion.

12. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I wasn't taking shots at anyone really. Just an observation, no offense intended.

13. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    Oh, my bad - apologies.

14. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015
    Well if the backstories written were clear, concise, and complete summaries then we wouldn't be trying to guess what the assumptions of that one were. I thought Rey's Mom knew Unkar personally, because she seemed so trusting that her precious daughter would be looked after and taken to LST. Apparently, that was just Rey's Mom being utterly stupid, leaving her with the first character she ran into -- someone she just assumed would be trustworthy, would know Lor San Tekka, because well, everyone must know everybody else in that small planet, right? Well, I don't know, I'm just guessing at the assumptions behind Rey leaving her with Unkar of all people, since the story doesn't say why.

Ok, so Unkar doesn't know who the girl is. Funny but I would think Unkar would be curious enough to ask Rey, "Little girl, what's your Mommy's and Daddy's name?" But that would be way too normal and intelligent thing to do, right?

And speaking of small planets, @Storm_Could -- let me rephrase my original question: How could you land a ship from outer space on Niima Outpost, have time to transact with Unkar Plutt, then promptly leave when you could've just landed on Tuanul to take Rey directly to LST (a stone's throw away, heck, virtually inches away from each other in terms of the distances of space flight)? That would've been just a simple pitch and yaw adjustment as she came in from outer space. Isn't that just simply stupid?

You can't compare it to ANH... Leia fell short of the entire planet.

15. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    (From Tumblr: this is part of the leaked shooting schedule for tfa that turned up on makingofstarwars.net)

It seems the Skywalker lightsaber really once belonged to Ben Solo / Kylo Ren. It does seems to be the case, otherwise, why Kylo would recognize a lightsaber that was lost before he was even born?

So now the lightsaber passed from Anakin to his son Luke, from Luke to his nephew Ben (the firstborn Skywalker grandchild), and then from Ben to Rey.

There wasn't a direct "inheritance" from Luke to Rey. Rey's relationship with Ben seems to be more important than her relationship with Luke.

Perhaps when Ben Solo turned to the Dark Side and became Kylo Ren, the lightsaber rejected him and called to his closest relative: Rey.

IrisBest and Colm like this.
  16. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    In Star Wars a lightsaber never called/rejected anyone, it is just a Jedi's weapon. We are not at Harry Potter. o_O

17. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015

That lightsaber was Luke's. And his father's before him and now, it calls to you!

Maz Kanata to Rey - Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens Not to mention it can be argued the said lightsaber rejected Kylo Ren and chose Rey on Starkiller Base, while both were trying to summon it.

18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I know what TFA says, but this was never part of SW before. A lightsaber was just a weapon. ;)

19. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    She's being pursued closely by the FO. It's life or death. If you faced certain death, but you had the opportunity to give the person with you even a slight chance of survival, you take that chance. If you don't have time to ask for ID, you condemn the other person along with you? Curious.

In a galaxy full of people. The Jedi are a myth. Besides, at the age of 5 I'm pretty sure I didn't know my parents' full names they were Mummy and Daddy.

It's fun putting things in bold.

Well if you don't phrase your question clearly, how can I answer?

"Sharon - take Rey to Lor San Tekka on Jakku."

"What's his address?"

"There's about 5 settlements and 1,000 humans - you'll find him."

It's probably stupid to think that Luke would have the grid coordinates of a village on a backwater world.

You had "sooooooooo many other questions"; what are they?

20. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015

A concept introduced in TFA is part of SW. So yes, a lightsaber can call to someone.

Skillzwalker likes this.
  21. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This really comes down to what I'm struggling with in TFA as it seems so many parts of the story have not been thought through and just hastily cobbled together. Yes the dialog suggests something that is open to interpretation however at the end of the day you seem to either have to dismiss the dialog or reassess what you believe to be reasonable. If indeed the lightsaber made a choice how could it actually do so? Does it have a micro processor or some form of intelligence? If Luke's lightsaber calls to Rey will all of the sabres of the other fallen Jedi suddenly do the same etc etc... I hope not. If this sabre can chose the light over the dark why didn't it fly from Anakin's hand when battling Obiwan because it didn't. Obiwan took it in defeat!

Indeed maybe there is something special with this sabre as its a long held belief that Jedi construct their own sabre and there isn't history of one being handed down through generations or blessing its owner with its obedience. But even in the scheme of things the blue sabre isn't especially significant. Lukes green sabre is the one that defeated the sith, the blue one simply has the convenience of being the only one that was lost.

So I totally agree Maz says the Lightsaber is calling Rey. But from there you have to either trust the dialog or choose to dismiss it. Personally I do not see the lightsaber as anything more than a weapon being controlled by the being who posses it but I respect that you can believe otherwise cause the dialog is saying exactly that.

RobbyV, Colm and nightangel like this.
  22. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    I don't see the lightsabre calling to Rey as being literal. It makes sense that it is the Will of the Force that Rey, now off Jakku thanks to a series of coincidences and long shots (more Will there), finds the lightsabre. It then becomes the literal item in companion to the visions and connects Rey to it and the Force. If she'd just had the visions whilst sitting on the toilet in the Ladies at Maz's then there's no context for what she sees.

Colm likes this.
  23. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Agreed, thats my very point in fewer words :)

Dagobah Dragonsnake likes this.
  24. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    To me, it is not simply the lightsaber calling to Rey, it is the Force calling to her using the lightsaber as the easiest path: the particular weapon is connected to the heart of the entire Skywalker saga arch by being the only object owned and utilized by both Luke and his father. The lightsaber is an affinity article which is a conduit to Force utilization and needed information (albeit sketchy information up to this point). It does seem that we are being introduced to new aspects of the Force in the ST and perhaps we will see further facets of this in the upcoming episodes. As I mentioned in another thread, Kasdan did state - after reading Rian Johnson's script - that it was "weird". Relying on what we have seen in the first six episodes regarding the nature and manifestation of the Force just may be too confining.

Darphus_Mon and MS1 like this.
  25. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The lightsaber calling is ok with me because the force is in everything according to the teachings and lets not forget that there is a very special part of the weapon: the crystal. The crystal has been portrayed as being FS, but to be fair not in the movies, just in TV-shows and games so it might not be canon.

Edit: Another possible explanation, Maz is FS as far as we know, she might use her powers to connect Rey with Luke and the weapon. She is very busy giving the lightsaber to Rey or a friend of hers after the vision too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.