main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Lineage / Parentage / Name

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by interxavier01, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Who are Rey's parents?

1. Luke and ????

84.2%
  2. Han and Leia

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    How closely? Like, how many minutes are they away? See list of questions below...

To Rey who has never been off Jakku most of her life the Jedi are. To older men (like Unkar) these stories are real and they were probably witnesses to the conflict. You think that opportunistic and cunning Unkar can't smell anything fishy about a woman desperate enough to leave her daughter to a total stranger? You really think in 15 years Unkar had no way to find out who Rey really was? I can think of multiple ways for a man of Unkar's resources, and it'll probably just take a day or two for a man with his connections. To ask no questions and smell no opportunity is inconsistent with his character.

Cute story, but that sounds more fitting in Space Balls than Star Wars.

It probably isn't (stupid). Aren't location coordinates pretty much stored in ship computers in Star Wars?

Some are basic questions that go into the assumptions of the story. Others are questions to that go into character motivations in your story. I have more but they depend on the answers to these ones:
    1. Who gave Rey the name "Rey"?
    2. How little was "no time to spare" in this life or death pursuit? Specifically how many minutes behind were the KOR?
    3. Were KOR on their way to Jakku chasing after Mommy which is why she promptly left the planet?
    4. Was there anything about Tuanul and Jakku that made Luke decide to hide her there? Or was it just because of LST that he wanted his daughter hidden there? Or put another way -- with all the friends and allies and better armed and protected friends of the Skywalkers, what made Luke decide to hide her in a very lightly armed village of Jedi worshipers?
    5. Why were KOR pursuing Mommy? Were they out to kill her or Rey or both of them?
    6. How exactly did Mom sacrifice herself? (was she killed by KOR? Detonated a bomb?)
    7. Did anyone see Mommy's remains?
    8. Did Mommy and Rey have any protection/companions when Luke sent them? Something like what Leia had in the opening scene on ANH?
    9. What made Luke know/believe his wife was dead?
    10. What made Luke believe/assume his daughter was dead?
    11. Mommy didn't think to radio anyone what she did with Rey before she 'sacrificed' herself? Not Luke? Not LST? Resistance forces? Anyone?
    12. Mommy never thought to ask other people where Tuanul was before she set forth on this journey, since Papa Luke kept no addresses of people he would entrust his daughter's life to? Aren't these maps stored on ship computers in the Star Wars universe? Mommy would probably the first ever space traveller in Star Wars movies who didn't know exactly where she was headed -- and that is a very, very hard to believe.
    13. Did Luke ever try to talk to LST to find out what happened as far as the old man knew? Oh, I forgot -- he didn't know LST's address... It'd be too smart for Luke to try to find that out, right? ;)
    14. Does Snoke know Luke has a daughter?
    15. Does Ben know he has a cousin?
    16. Do Han and Leia know they have a niece?
    These are it for now.

Tanjint likes this.
  2. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    It slightly bugs me the way she is called Kira (Rey) in the art book. Is Kira the name she was known as before she was dumped on Jakku? Wasn't there a cryptic tweet about Kylo not knowing her by the name of Rey or something like that?

3. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Whoopie - cheap labour.

Or,

I wonder if this urchin girl who doesn't know the names of her parents because she's so young might actually be Galactically valuable? Seems like a good use of my time.

Who knows? I don't think Lor San Tekka's postcode is though.

1. Who gave Rey the name "Rey"? No idea of the relevance
    2. How little was "no time to spare" in this life or death pursuit? Specifically how many minutes behind were the KOR? 7m 27s - I thought that was obvious from my original treatment
    3. Were KOR on their way to Jakku chasing after Mommy which is why she promptly left the planet? They were tracking her so when they came out of hyperspace 7m 27s behind her she knew she had to act fast. The hyperdrive was leaking from a previous close encounter with KOR so she couldn't leave the system
    4. Was there anything about Tuanul and Jakku that made Luke decide to hide her there? Or was it just because of LST that he wanted his daughter hidden there? Or put another way -- with all the friends and allies and better armed and protected friends of the Skywalkers, what made Luke decide to hide her in a very lightly armed village of Jedi worshipers? Better armed, but not out of the way. And Lor San Tekka is an old friend that he trusts implicitly. It's no different to hiding Luke on Tatooine.
    5. Why were KOR pursuing Mommy? Were they out to kill her or Rey or both of them? Kylo learned of their departure from Bobbitybob, a padawan at the academy. He told Snoke, but Snoke sent Kylo on a different mission and ordered the other KOR to pursue them and attempt to kidnap them if possible, kill if not.
    6. How exactly did Mom sacrifice herself? (was she killed by KOR? Detonated a bomb?) Dogfighting in the upper atmosphere, she switched off the shields so the next hit would kill.
    7. Did anyone see Mommy's remains? The ship was completely destroyed.
    8. Did Mommy and Rey have any protection/companions when Luke sent them? Something like what Leia had in the opening scene on ANH? I thought you said we couldn't compare it to Leia in ANH? You can't change the rules half way through.
    9. What made Luke know/believe his wife was dead? He felt her death through the Force. He went to her bedroom and placed his hand on her dirty laundry and had a Force vision of the ship being destroyed
    10. What made Luke believe/assume his daughter was dead? The tremor in the Force is not like an email - he felt a great disturbance of death emotionally close to him. Obi-Wan Kenobi didn't get a list of names of the people of Alderaan in ANH. He didn't even explain it was Alderaan.
    11. Mommy didn't think to radio anyone what she did with Rey before she 'sacrificed' herself? Not Luke? Not LST? Resistance forces? Anyone? It was being jammed! Back to Spaceballs!
    12. Mommy never thought to ask other people where Tuanul was before she set forth on this journey, since Papa Luke kept no addresses of people he would entrust his daughter's life to? Aren't these maps stored on ship computers in the Star Wars universe? Mommy would probably the first ever space traveller in Star Wars movies who didn't know exactly where she was headed -- and that is a very, very hard to believe.Tut tut. "Luke. You will go to the Dagobah system..." Not even a planet for a clue there.
    13. Did Luke ever try to talk to LST to find out what happened as far as the old man knew? Oh, I forgot -- he didn't know LST's address... It'd be too smart for Luke to try to find that out, right? ;) He went there, easily found the location of the village and spoke to LST. He had no knowledge of what happened.
    14. Does Snoke know Luke has a daughter? Absolutely, he wanted mother and daughter for himself to either torture them to draw Luke into a trap (as whacky as that sounds) and / or kill them to unbalance Luke.
    15. Does Ben know he has a cousin? Yes; that's why he wasn't sent with the other KOR, although he learned of the location where mother and daughter were believed to have been killed, hence the "what girl" comment in TFA.
    16. Do Han and Leia know they have a niece? Yes; well they knew they had a niece.
    I'm working on a Luke "one night stand" backstory, but I'll take the rest of your questions before I write it out.

Tanjint, Colm and AhsokaSolo like this.
  4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Yes, for example... In the novel, Kylo strikes Finn's front across his abdomen, whereas Kylo spins Finn and slices his back in the movie. There's a couple of other changes, but I'm on the toilet right now. :D

Tanjint likes this.
  5. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015
    I got that impression from the parallel "Rey's Lineage" thread over at the Episode VIII & IX group: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/reys-lineage-parentage-name.50035997/

The poll shows 61% think she's Rey Skywalker and was placed in Jakku for her protection, 15% think she's random, 24% are not sure.

I don't know... this would also need an explanation why in Luke's 19 years in Tatooine, despite living not far from Ben Kenobi and having been to his house, the saber never "called" to him. And this was during the darkest days of the rebellion when the next Jedi generation was sorely needed.

There's something else going on and the evidence is inconsistent to support the conclusion that the saber only calls to descendants.

Personally my guess is Luke wasn't as passive on Ahch-To as he was made to appear. He probably had something to do with it. I just can't begin to say how.

Tanjint likes this.
  6. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    So we are learning new things still, its great isn't it.

Do you actually think we have learnt all there is to know about the force? I certainly hope not.

Tanjint likes this.
  7. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Apologies for quoting myself, but it was way past the time I could edit it.

I found the tweet:
    [​IMG]

And it was actually a reply to someone mentioning that Kylo Ren calls her "the girl," not being able to remember a name with one letter difference to his own.

For Rey to be a name she either gives herself on Jakku or someone like Mister Plutt does. Well she would know her previous name unless something was done to her memory. And someone tampering with her memory bugs me, but it has happened before in the Star Wars universe, and happens to droids a lot.

Anyway I'm still leaning towards Luke being with a female character we haven't been introduced to yet and for her to leave his life while pregnant with Rey, maybe Luke picks Jedi duty, and his desire to restart the order, over love. So although he knows his child exists, he never meets her until she hands him his old lightsaber.

Tanjint likes this.
  8. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    (double post)

9. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015
    1. It may be relevant. And it's your backstory so feel free to write the part. Let me restate the question -- how did she come to have the name "Rey"?
    2. I don't recall -- you should probably point me to the original treatment. I was just basing my comment on the recent, short treatment in this thread.
    3. So KOR know she went to Jakku...
    4. It's very different from hiding Luke in Tatooine. The Empire wasn't looking for Luke, had no idea he was actually alive, and there are no Jedi worshipers on Uncle Owen's farm.
    5. Ok.
    6. Ok.
    7. Ok.
    8. You couldn't compare not reaching a planet with a star destroyer at your tail with what happened in your story -- it was a fallacy, not some rule I set. Since nobody else seems to have died apart from Mommy, I take it the answer is no -- that they had no entourage?
    9. Ok.
    10. Ok.
    11. Ok.
    12. Dagobah -- no one lives there except a hermit. Jakku is a staging point for travel to the uncharted regions, was the setting for the Empire's last stand, is where Empire stragglers still live to this day, is a trading outpost for ships and parts, is the refuge of the religiously oppressed. Tuanul is a village where Jedi allies (in fact worshipers) live. Yet, there are no charts...
    13. Ok.
    14. Ok. So we can assume they discussed who Rey was, I suppose.
    15. Ok.
    16. Ok.
    Just a few follow-up questions then while I also await the answer for #1 and #8.
    1. Was Rey a padawan in Luke's academy?
    2. Was Rey's Mom a Jedi, Force-sensitive but not a Jedi (ala Leia), or just a regular gal?

Tanjint likes this.
  10. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    RobbyV Many of us have conceded that Rey Random is possible. While I know you prefer Rey Random and think it's a better story twist I didn't know you thought that Rey Skywalker was straight up unworkable. Do you think any version of Rey Legacy is workable? I know that you don't consider Rey Legacy desirable or likely, but do you think it's even possible to write a Rey Legacy story of this trilogy that makes sense? Baffled by how far apart some of these discussions still are, I thought we were coming to more consensus lol.

Like I see what you mean about Unkar (Rey being left with him) and Kylo (being super young when Rey was left on Jakku) giving some real hurdles for a Rey Legacy outcome but it's strange to me that those two logical obstacles render Rey Legacy a logical impossibility in your assessment. Savvier folks than I have brought up what I think to be equally weighty hurdles for Rey Random and while your responses to those hurdles are good I didn't think them to be a league and a class above folks' responses to the hurdles Rey Legacy must get over.

I guess even my thinking implicitly concedes that Rey Legacy has some real hurdles in that my thinking is that she's Legacy somehow, someway. If one is married to her being of a certain lineage then those problems become more specific. Like, Luke's wife is a decent explanation of her Jakku drop off if she is Luke's kid. If she's Han and Leia's that becomes harder but I still think possible. Stranger still if Rey Kenobi or Palpatine but still not impossible.

Anyway, I thought our consensus was that there are clues intentionally left in several directions intentionally and that we can't even eliminate any options from the 5 categories we have using logic from what we know from Episodes I through VII. This is for me a revision from when my thinking was that we could start using process of elimination to narrow down the options so that by the time episode 8 rolled around we'd have the smallest possible list of options to choose from. I thought we could eliminate "Rey Random" but you've convinced me otherwise. Are you suggesting we can logically eliminate Rey Skywalker from even being an option the way I once suggested about Rey Random? Or is all your cross-examining of the Rey's Mom situation just to get Rey Skywalker devotees to be less certain of something none of us should be certain of?

For reference these are the 5 options I think we've narrowed it down to and have been convinced we can't narrow down from...though I am willing to hear arguments as to why we can't eliminate Rey Palpatine yet....

1. Rey Solo
    2. Rey Skywalker
    3. Rey Kenobi
    4. Rey Prophecy / New Chosen One (explicit, not just being "the Luke" of the trilogy)
    5. Rey Random

I think the next event that will help us eliminate some options will be the Bloodline novel. It will probably disprove Rey Solo. Unless of course it doesn't, which would be delicious haha.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Unkar Platt DOESN'T actually present that many hurdles to "Rey Legacy" actually. Nor does Kylo's age (you'd have to believe that he HAD to be involved in all of that, which is not necessarily the case).

Rey Random immediately presents it's own list of challenges/obstacles for the writers have to overcome. And this is even more so given how they chose to go about it in TFA. And that's the point that I keep going back to. Rey being "random" could have worked much better, if TFA had gone about it in a different way. But they've kind of written themselves into a corner to a degree I think, with the audience specifically.

They've made their job harder by doing it this way, should they want to go the "random" route.

12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Judging by the way he treats her, he either found nothing important, or didn't care either way.

Tanjint likes this.
  13. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Rey Random is possible, but unlikely. There are two pros to writing a story with Rey Random: 1) Surprise element and (2) Widening the scope of the GFFA.
    The pros to writing a Rey Legacy story 1) Continuation of the Skywalker story (2) Emotional resonance (3) Resolution of the mystery set up in TFA (honestly, if she's related to no one I know, why should I care who that person is? Why make it a mystery if the mystery doesn't mean anything?)

Honestly, I'd rather have the Legacy story. I want Rey Solo, but any Rey Legacy would have some meaning for me. It's not impossible that they can make a Rey Random's past meaningful for me, but very unlikely. That's not to say I won't like Rey no matter who she's related to, but I honestly cannot see myself caring about her past if she's just a Random.

Tanjint, darth elyk and Colm like this.
  14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah IDK why people are assuming that he had to know that she was "special." Or that he'd even care about her backstory. Random woman shows up, offers him money to look after her daughter for awhile, and promises to come back later on and, if her child is in good health, pay him even more. Unkar is a businessman, a shady one, but one nonetheless. So why wouldn't he accept that deal? He doesn't care who Rey is or where she comes from, just as long as he gets paid.

Tanjint likes this.
  15. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    For me:
    I merge 1, 2. 3 might as well be random -- applies to Tarkin/Palps/etc. 4 is a non starter, I include in the category: clone, virgin (or not) Force birth. Queue the NOOOOOO gifs/pics on #4. 5 is valid.

Why cannot Finn/Poe/etc be the random/non-legacy Jedi that comes to share in the torch passing? This route introduces the concept that you no longer have to be born FS, or come from a legacy fam that was FS and helps with those who want to see more than 2 Jedi as well as non Skywalker affiliated in anyway Jedi.

ChildOfWinds, AhsokaSolo and Tanjint like this.
  16. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    I agree with a lot of that but why should Rey Kenobi "might as well be random"?

To me, given the way this movie remixed ANH if the rest of the trilogy is like that, making a Kenobi prominent fits the formula in a way that is unique to Kenobi.

Valairy Scot and rowan_greenleaf like this.
  17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

Not related to the post you actually asked this of, but imo Rey Kenobi might as well be random because Obi Wan Kenobi has no plot relevance to this trilogy. He is long since dead and his only connection to the cast of characters is Luke. Rey doesn't even know who he is. She will learn his name and that will be the relevance. She could be a descendant of random jedi #426 and have the same reaction she would have to being a descendant of Obi's. The only difference Rey Kenobi makes is the symbol of it to the audience.

ChildOfWinds, LadyPadme and Tanjint like this.
  18. rowan_greenleaf

rowan_greenleaf Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015

I disagree. Rey's being a Kenobi would be relevant not just to the audience, but to her and to all of the core people in Star Wars. Obi-Wan Kenobi's role in Anakin Skywalker's life was not equivalent to that of "Jedi #426" or whoever else. He was very significant to Anakin, and Anakin/Vader is significant in this trilogy. It's only logical that Rey's being a Kenobi descendant and interacting with the descendant of Anakin Skywalker would have plenty of significance for all involved.

19. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

Because Unkar not doing so would be classic "idiot plot" device -- just like in many bad horror stories -- people who suddenly behave like idiots to move a plot forward. A mother leaves her young daughter with a giant, male, sleazy-looking character who wears armor plates who runs a sweatshop and actually offers to pay him! If Unkar isn't the least bit curious why anyone would do that then he'd be an idiot. On top of that, said mother never comes back. If that still doesn't pick any curiosity, then Unkar is a grade-A idiot. He would be lacking any sense of curiosity -- something reserved for mentally retarded characters.

Normal, thinking persons would do it for various motivations. Unkar could probably do it out of a sense of self-preservation: "Who the hell is this girl? Is she bringing me trouble?" He could do it for money -- "Who is this girl and I wonder if her father will pay ransom?" Whatever his motive may be, it's totally abnormal not to be curious.

Imagine a stranger pays you to watch over an unlocked attache case and promises to come back for it after a week. What will a normal, thinking person do? Look inside. What would an idiot do? Not look inside.

If it doesn't bother you that Unkar doesn't try to find out more about the girl left at his doorstep, then it implies you think this is how any person in real life will actually behave. Whether good, evil, rich, poor, generous or selfish, a normal thinking person will try to find out anything he can about a girl dropped on his lap by her own mother and forever abandoned. People will only differ in what they do AFTER attempting to find out more about her.

Tanjint and Colm like this.
  20. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Lol at any assumption of the extent to which Rey may be aware of the existence of General Kenobi given how fast and loose all Star Wars content plays with how much galactic civilians know about the lives of our heroes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RobbyV likes this.
  21. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Personally I think she is Lukes daughter but hidden from him to rhyme with both he and Leia being hidden from Vader

22. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Because it requires creating an entire gen of Kenobi that currently does not exist, never has been mentioned, never has been seen. That is how Rey would still be random. We have no idea who this missing gen of Kenobi is or how they came to be. Why make what could be a an unnecessary mystery even more odd by adding in people we do not know, and retconning OB1 into the same type of person folks seem afraid to paint Leia or Luke if they are related to Rey?

ChildOfWinds, Colm and Tanjint like this.
  23. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Not saying it's likely but I consider it an option based purely on the way TFA treats the big symbols of ANH.

24. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    I would be happier with Rey being a Kenobi than being a random, however it would still change this Skywalker saga into a Kenobi & Skywalker saga, and I'm pretty sure that these nine movies tell the story of Anakin and his offspring and that they are the focus of the tale.

There will be plenty of spinoff movies to have randoms and even a Kenobi. But for this trilogy I feel that it's going to be kept simple. Rey will be the daughter of Luke or Leia. But in saying that, it doesn't rule out Kenobi somehow having a daughter that Luke falls in love with, and that is how Rey came about.

ChildOfWinds and Tanjint like this.
  25. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    My friends and I love this idea, also explains why she's so much more powerful than Ren.

Colm likes this.
  26. rowan_greenleaf

rowan_greenleaf Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015

I understand that is your personal preference, but I don't think that they've promised us a trilogy where things will be kept simple. Quite the opposite. My personal preference is that Rey not be a Skywalker. For many reasons, but mainly because of how obvious, boring and predictable that would be in my opinion. With all of the heavy-handed Skywalker lineage hints and the suspenseful delay of her parentage revelation, to me Rey's being a Skywalker would be failed storytelling.

Berhan, Colm and Tanjint like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.