main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Lineage / Parentage / Name

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by interxavier01, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Who are Rey's parents?

1. Luke and ????

84.2%
  2. Han and Leia

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angrysithHerder

angrysithHerder Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2016
    We have actually had this discussion. And if I'm correct your the person who can dog on Filoni for bringing characters back but yet you don't seem to care about established characters being butchered. It is the story of the Skywalker bloodlines but what have the skywalkers ever done for anyone? Just bring more misery. I'm tired of it. And to me a movie about the struggles of Obi-Wan post ep 3 would be immeasurably more enjoyable than what I got to watch on TFA. You are the person who says that Kenobi doesn't matter much in the movies and I honostly can't take you seriously. You couldn't have ep 1-6 without Kenobi. He was responsible for 2 generations of skywalkers and he was a major hero of the Republic. Not to mention he bested young Vader in his prime which makes him just about the most BA Jedi to ever come about. But either way a story or movie about Obi-wan is so much more appealing to me than Luke abandoning someone else close to him who just so happens to be his daughter. If you really find that more satisfying than good for you I wish you the best

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Well, I for one, prefer the idea of Rey being Luke's daughter because of the dynamics that that would entail for the future movies. It'd be interesting to see how well Rey would handle knowing that her dad had left for the long term without seeming to care about her. It'd be another mistake for Luke to need to correct, along with the others he may or may not have made before. It'd be a different dynamic then we've gotten before. Most of Star Wars seems to center around found families and all the Jedi master/padawan pairs we've seen have been unrelated. Having a father and daughter trying to do the Jedi training thing while building the family connections that've been lost would be new and could be a cool story.

Also, so far, the Saga movies have been about the different generations of the Skywalker family. While that doesn't need to be the case here, it would be the most logical answer if Rey is related to pre-existing characters.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. angrysithHerder

angrysithHerder Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2016
    WebLurker your right about that making the most sense. My question is if they are throwing out the whole chosen one theme and balance of the force nonsense from the prequels than what really is the purpose of the Skywalker bloodline? Like I said before the Skywalkers have only brought tragedy. About the only thing I can agree with LK is that Kenobi is the ultimate Jedi (this stems from a conversation he apparently had with GL when he was brought in to write ESB). Here's a question I want to start a thread about whether Kenobi belongs in the ST where would be the best place to start that thread?

4. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Are they throwing out the balance of the Force and the Chosen One prophecy? The opening scene of TFA establishes that the Force having balance is still a factor, and the Chosen One prophecy is either seen has having been fulfilled in ROTJ or rejected by Anakin the Mortis episodes of the Clone Wars.

I don't think the Skywalkers have all brought tragedy; Anakin was a Jedi before his fall (one of the best) and Kylo Ren and the First Order, not Luke, are responsible for the destruction of the second Jedi Order and the First Order's campaigns in the movies.

I'd say to start that Kenobi thread in either the spoilers or no spoilers threads for episodes 8 - 9 (I'm not an admin, just saying what I'd do in your place).

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah I mean they throw the line "balance in The Force" into the movie within the first like two minutes. And according to JJ, there were no Sith in TFA. So Anakin might very well have fulfilled that part of the prophecy (to destroy the Sith). And if it weren't for Luke, Anakin would never have had his redemption at all, so both Evil Vader and Sheev would still be oppressing the Galaxy. And Kenobi has always been a (prominent) supporting character in these films, and his backstory/bloodlines have been completely irrelevant/not delved into at all beyond his dynamic with Anakin. Whereas these films have always been the saga of the Skywalker family, and KK has confirmed that the ST will be as well.

So to suddenly turn around and make it all about Kenobi and his lineage would feel, kind of out of nowhere.

6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    There's been no confirmation of XX-XXII, has there?

WebLurker likes this.
  7. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    That's what I've been wondering. Everyone talks about how there's going to be more trilogies or something beyond the "anthology" movies (or whatever they're being called now), but I've never understood if this is a concrete plan or a wish list for the future.

8. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Sounds like a wish list to me. I don't ever recall GL saying he'd do 4 trilogies. 12 films, but not 4 trilogies. He did say a trilogy of trilogies. Let's respect that.

I mean, how often can the Republic, Jedi, and Skywalkers screw it up? Don't ruin the integrity of the series.

We can have other SW films. But give this one closure that GL intended it to have.

9. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Sounds like a wish list to me. I don't ever recall GL saying he'd do 4 trilogies. 12 films, but not 4 trilogies. He did say a trilogy of trilogies. Let's respect that.

I mean, how often can the Republic, Jedi, and Skywalkers screw it up? Don't ruin the integrity of the series.

We can have other SW films. But give this one closure that GL intended it to have.

10. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Double post. Stupid technology.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
  12. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    It is totally irrelevant what George Lucas said or did, or would have done, with the saga. George Lucas neither owns Lucasfilm nor does he contribute to the future of the saga or the franchise. If Lucasfilm makes the decision to continue the saga after IX, if they see a market and a substantial audience, they most likely will. If they see saga burn out, they may delay or not do additional trilogies or saga add-ons. If the anthologies go well, they would continue them. If they do not do well, they will dial back. I am confident they will always make the attempt to develop good stories and invest in good production values for those stories, as long as there is a significant audience for that work.

Whatever George had planned (and whichever of the multiple versions and accounts one buys into) it is not important for the continuing life of the saga or the anthologies. The same reason George sold Lucasfilm, serious financial difficulties without having Star Wars profitability driving it, so too with Disney owned Lucasfilm.

Jedi Jessy and DarthCricketer like this.
  13. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I have heard people citing Kathleen Kennedy as saying that the Saga movies will always be about the Skywalker family (usually as an argument that Kylo Ren has to be redeemed by the end of Episode 9). From the context, it sounded like they thought that Kennedy was saying there would be fourth trilogy, at least. However, I'm unsure if that's LucasFilm's wish, or what they would do if they make them, or what.

14. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Hopefully, the 4th trilogy tumors will go the way of the Snoke is Plageuis rumors.

WebLurker likes this.
  15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I definitely got tumors listening to the Plagueis nonsense.

16. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, well it might be neat to get movies set after the sequels (maybe even having some of the new characters come back), I don't really see how we can keep having trilogy after trilogy that has the next generation saving the Galaxy.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  17. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Exactly. How many times can the Skywalkers and Republic screw up? How about origin stories of the Republic, Jedi, and Sith? And the Sith War?

WebLurker likes this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Is the Sith War still canon?

I'd like a Jedi origin story. Would rather keep the Sith version mysterious and out of focus.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  19. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well Rey certainly does look like Luke and Anakin, both by Hayden, and Loyd.

What are thoughts on being related to qui gon? He didn't follow code.

20. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015

Well, I think he & Shmi had chemistry. We don't know how long it took Cliegg to free Shmi after TPM so what if she had Qui-Gon's child 9 months after TPM and Watto figured things out by then and realized the value of a Force-sensitive infant...so he sold the child. Then that child eventually grows up to be Rey's father or mother.

21. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    So the old guy in the beginning is reys father

22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

Oye! Isn't it better just to pick the path of least resistance? That being the one with the least amount of explanation needed?

It would have been SO much more understandable if:

(a) Luke took in Ben.
    (b) Ben turned on the academy and was ordered to kill Rey with the rest of the KOR.
    (c) Ben (now Kylo) refused and secretly took her to safety but made everyone think she was dead.

A three step explanation. Boom! Done. If the above means that Rey is Luke's daughter and Kylo was going after Luke's hidden, protected family then great. If it means Rey was from another family, great. The irony is that Kylo actually saved Rey's life. If that couples with the two being related, better so. None of this crazy timeline confusion making for something so twisted and convoluted that people will leave the theaters saying "wait, what?".

23. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Snoke is same Jackson . Jackson undoubtedly went straight to the tatooine after hearing about Anakin. Shmi got knocked up. Rey is snokes daughter.

24. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I'll make it canon.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  25. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015

Yes, I think she has to be a Skywalker for sure. Beyond that, my preference is that she's Luke's daughter. I think everything is pointing to that as well. In my mind, the only question is why doesn't she remember.

26. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I think the timeline has Rey left on Jakku years before Kylo's fall now (based on the character's ages as established in the TFA tie-in materials and the novel Bloodlines.

She was really little when she was left. It's also possible that she suppressed the memories due to the emotional trauma of being abandoned. It's also worth noting that the only source so far that says her memory is blank regarding her early life is the Rey's Survival Guide book, which was being written while the movie was in production, and as as a result has a couple of minor discrepancies compared to the finished film. It's possible that the idea of Rey not remembering her past was an idea that was was discarded, but not in time for Jason Fry to correct his manuscript. (Granted, the TFA jr. novelization and Before the Awakening also strongly suggest that Rey doesn't know where she came from, but it's less specific than the Guide in regards to how much or little she remembers.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.