main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Lineage / Parentage / Name

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by interxavier01, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Who are Rey's parents?

1. Luke and ????

84.2%
  2. Han and Leia

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Rey is Scmhi.... nobody believes me.... think about it

jaqen likes this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

That doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't Watto have told Anakin about that? (If you watch the movie, Watto is very eager to be on Anakin's good side and even seems genuinely happy to see him again.) It's also a far more convoluted backstory than saying that Rey's parents are new characters or she's Luke's long-lost daughter.

3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I already posted that somewhere lol

4. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Anakin brought her back to life....

5. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    [face_hypnotized]

6. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Watto is Rey's grandfather?

7. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006

That's okay I was wondering about that all we need is for her to get pregnant and somehow deposited back in time on Tatooine...

But that idea also makes Kylo, Anakin's father and the first Sith and oh boy even I think that is so wrong!!!

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

[​IMG]

9. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Hi. Wasn't sure where else to post this, but I wanted to share this video regarding the possibility of Rey's inspiration. It's hard to believe it's just a coincidence.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    coincidence.

she's based on ralph mcquarrie's early 1970's art for the original sw film.

[​IMG]

TK327 likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe the design, but I would still need some heavy convincing to believe so many of those scenes weren't directly inspired by the early Miyazaki film. Even Dave Filoni admitted to getting inspiration from Princess Mononoke (the San character) for the behaviors and actions of Ahsoka.

[​IMG]

13. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I think after reading bloodline, that shes not related to either,

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I figure her parents are nobody important. Could have just been crappy people that ditched their kid and had no intention of coming back. Or maybe they were soldiers that dropped her off to keep her safe but died and so never came back.

Maz knows her for all of a few minutes and yet knows (as does Rey subconsciously) that whoever dropped her off on Jakku was NEVER coming back. Maz encourages her to find her belonging with Luke rather than waiting for her family. It would be weird IMO, if Luke ends up being family.

Anakin himself was a "nobody." He wasn't descended from anybody important. His mom was a slave. He was a product of the Force that lived on Tatooine and was destined to bring balance to the Force. It could be the same with Rey. A random person who manifested abilities as a result of the "awakening" to help restore balance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've been leaning towards her being Luke's daughter as the most likely outcome, but this is probably the most convincing thing in favor of "Rey Random" that I think I've seen.

16. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    While I believe that Episodes 1-9 should be (is) the Skywalker Saga, I don't believe that a new unnamed hero necessarily takes away from the Skywalker story.
    Episode 9 can still end in an epic fashion with Luke, Leia and possibly even Anakin (Kylo?) providing Rey Random with the means to end the galactic conflict, while still leaving us something to look forward to in the Star Wars Universe that's not Skywalker.

I want to see new Star Wars movies until the day I die but I think the Skywalker line needs to end.
    Otherwise every time a new main character is introduced into a new movie, won't we all question of there is a connection to the Skywalkers? -- Wouldn't it get a little boring if they were?
    What better way to end the line than to clearly make the break during the Skywalker story?
    I like the idea of making the Skywalker's legendary to end the Saga -- something the Galaxy will never forget, then passing the reigns over to the Random's, who have already played a part and who we are already familiar with.

17. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Having read the novelizations, I think we can safely say that she did come from a loving family and that her being left on Jakku for good was not what they wanted.

Very true. I do like the idea of Luke being her father, but I think this's the biggest flaw in that idea.

I hope it's not another prophecy thing, but just the circumstance of her being at the right place at the right time.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm not interested in seeing the Skywalker story end here. It takes something that makes this franchise unique away, and replaces it with something far more generic, and it'd be so disappointing imo. "Random heroes" I can see that in hundreds of others, plus the anthologies are already going to expand the films outside of the Skywalkers, so doing that with the "main saga" films now as well would be even less interesting imo.

And I absolutely do not want another "chosen one/space messiah" nonsense at all, whatsoever. I didn't like it the first time, and such a cheap and lazy way to go.

And her being the child of "random nobodies" would be fine, if they wouldn't have made it such a big freaking mystery. Anakin's backstory was never a mystery, were told that he had no father pretty quickly, and we meet his mom. Luke's backstory was also not played up as a big mystery either. So to drag the "oh who is she, who are her parents" thing out for years over multiple films, and keep every freaking thing about them so cryptic, only to then go "well they were never important at all," would just be annoying. There's no reason to make it a mystery, let alone drag it out for so long, if that's the answer. They payoff isn't worth the buildup.

19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Good point. To make Rey's family history a big part of the story wouldn't make sense if they were just random people in the galaxy. There's a reason for the build up. I'm not sure what it is for or who she's related to, but it must be something important to the story going forward.

Darth Archimage likes this.
  20. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    If you are referring to my Rey Random posts:
    I guess in my ramblings I probably should have used "new" or "different" rather than "random".
    I don't expect Rey to remain random, I think there is a story there that's worth the wait. I just don't think we'll learn that she's a Skywalker ...and in my opinion that works out better for the future.

If not .. move along. :)

EntechednReformatted likes this.
  21. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    My feeling exactly. In fact, I think it would be more than just weird. It feels to me like it would be taking the emotional arc they've established for her and cutting it off at the knees. She agonizes over her decision in TFA ... finding out that Luke was her father all along means that turmoil was all for nothing. The next films would be better served by further developing this conflict between her loyalty to her missing family and her destiny to join Luke, rather than simply abandoning it.

I think Maz's conversation there with Rey was the sequel trilogy's equivalent of Yoda's "Afraid to lose her, I think ... Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering" speech. Just as Yoda was laying out the emotional stakes that would drive Anakin's story forward, Maz is telling us what these new movies are going to be about.

Prediction 1: Rey will find out the truth about her family, and she'll again have to make the choice of whether to try to reunite with them or to remain with Luke. She'll pay the emotional price of the decision she made in TFA.
    Prediction 2: Rey will take the name Skywalker by the end of Ep. IX, in honor of the new family she's accepted for herself.

Jedi Jessy and Darth Archimage like this.
  22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    It's not a big part of the story though. It gets dropped as soon as Maz convinces Rey not to go back to Jakku. It's the plot device to explain her reluctance to answer "the call to adventure" nothing more. It never comes up again. Maz tells her that they aren't coming back and to seek out Luke to find belonging. And she imprinted on Han as a father figure.

I really see no use in establishing her parents as anyone important. Luke is really the only established character that could be her dad, unless she's Wedge Antilles' kid or something like that.

She doesn't have to be part of the Skywalker legacy. There's already three members of the family. And Kylo Ren 's struggle and the destruction of that family is the centerpiece of the story. Rey can be instrumental to helping restore things without being a family member herself. I think having a niece Han and Leia don't know about would be weird, as are Maz's distinction between who she's waiting for and Luke.

I thought Abrams already ruled out that her parents did not appear in TFA, ruling out all of the Skywalker's. Some people say Obi-Wan is her relative, but that requires a more involved explanation.

There really wasn't a huge mystery regarding her parents. IMO. I think the advertising was misleading in that Finn appeared to be the Force sensitive, not Rey. And there was the dialogue in the trailer about the Force running strong in Luke's family, implying the hero was a Skywalker. But unless Vader had a kid and ditched her, which I don't think lines up in the timeline. Then I don't see how she can be a Skywalker.

Advertising was misleading, when it's Kylo Ren, not the hero, that is of the Skywalker family.

There was an Awakening. What's that all about? Anakin was gifted from a young age. He had the Force his whole life. Ezra in Rebels is similar. With Rey, her powers seemed to spontaneously manifest. It need not be "prophetic." There's no mention of any prophecy in this era.

But it definitely seemed to have a more supernatural, spontaneous origin vs. Luke and Leia who inherited their powers.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    EDIT: Sorry for double post

I never considered her being adopted into the family, so to speak. Especially if Kylo fails to be redeemed. Even if she is not formally adopted and doesn't take the name Skywalker, I do think Kylo and Rey kind of mirror each other to some extent. One felt like he was neglected, the other was abandoned. One rejected his father as foolish, the other looked up to the very same man as a father figure. Luke failed to get through to one, but he'll probably get through to the other, etc. Rey had it worse growing up but turns out to be the optimist. Maz encourages her to find her belonging with Luke, whereas Kylo Ren did not find his belonging there. I do think there is a message there of not having to be blood to be family.

We probably will find out who her parents are and what their deal was and why she wound up on Jakku. But I'm expecting them to be new characters. Not established names or relatives of established names, like Luke Skywalker or Obi-Wan's daughter/son (given that Rey would have to be his granddaughter at best)

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Maz doesn't convince Rey of anything. Rey just leaves after refusing and then gets caught up in the battle. Also I wouldn't say that it's not a big part of the story either. Rey's wanting to find her family (and by extension, be in one) informs details after Takodana. In fact, (while possibly not completely clear), this is a large part of why she gets so emotional when Finn, Han, and Chewie find her at Starkiller Base: "After all those years, someone had finally returned for her. She didn’t have to wait any longer.” — Rey’s Story, Ch. 14, page 119

I think that the character has been well-established enough that she doesn't need to be anyone specific's kid (we like the character for the character, not because she's Skywalker 3.0, or what ever). So, I think the real question, what parental background would make the best story?

Abrams also recanted after the fact, claiming that he meant that no one is identified as Rey's parents in Force Awakens itself. Time will only tell if that's true or just to keep specualtion going until the next movie.

That's the tricky thing. Some of the advertising was accurate, too. Also, who's to say that they're be as misleading next time round?

We don't know yet. Some of the tie-ins and marketing have suggested that it refers to Rey taking her first steps into the world of the Force, but we'll have to see if that's the case. (I have my suspicions that they came up with a cool title without really thinking about what it means.)

I've heard some people point out that the jump she makes when repelling from the ship wreck in her first scene is a bit out of human range, suggesting that she may be unconsciously getting Force boosts without realizing it well before discovering that she's Force-sensitive (it's also strongly implied that the Force augmented the piloting skills she'd already learned in the Falcon chase scene, too).

Her being Force-sensitive doesn't really seem supernatural, either. She has a midi-chlorian count, which is why she can do it in the first place. We don't know who her family is yet, so there's not telling if she's the first to have it, or did inherit it.

25. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Fair enough that Maz didn't convince her. But she pointed out what Rey already knew, just didn't want to believe. There was the whole thing about Maz and her ability to read eyes and she comments on Rey's eyes and that Rey already knew the truth that her family was not coming back. Instead Maz pushes for her to find Luke. Rey initially goes against this, but ultimately it's Luke that she seeks out at the end. She didn't part ways and go back to Jakku, or go on a mission to track down her parents. In the end she did what Maz wanted her to do and set out to find Luke rather than wait for the family that was not returning.

The bit about the Awakening was a rhetorical question in that I feel Rey is the Awakening and that like Anakin's birth there is something profound about it. This girl, despite being untrained, develops rapidly and is able to defeat Kylo Ren who is not only a member of the Skywalker bloodline, but also trained by Luke himself.

In the OT, the Jedi are believed dead. Obi-Wan and Yoda were all that was left. And then Darth Vader's kid who they had kept hidden. Luke was portrayed just like he could be anybody. There wasn't anything really special about him, other than he was an evil man's son who was being trained as a Jedi.

It was the PT that made Luke's father a prophetic character with greater potential than Yoda or Palpatine (despite not reaching it), and then Luke's power retroactively stems from being Anakin's kid. The Skywalker's all tie back to immaculately conceived Anakin. But Anakin himself arose from the will of the Force as a counter to the Dark Side.

Now the Jedi are all dead except Luke. Then all of a sudden Snoke sense's an Awakening in the Force, which I can only assume is Rey. Why can't that just be the Force's will again?

I don't see why having her be a Skywalker is any better than having her be someone new. Either she's another Chosen One (probably will never actually be called that) or she derives greatness from being descended from the Chosen One. Either way the prophecy comes into play, even if just tangentially.

Or she could be the daughter of one of Luke's students who was killed and Luke put her in hiding. And they could mirror the whole Darth Vader killed your father aspect of ANH, only this time it's literal and not from a point of view. But at that rate, it would still show a non-Skywalker overshadowing Kylo Ren, who is a descendant of Anakin, downplaying the power of that lineage.

One thing that wasn't really elaborated on in TFA is the suggestion that Luke is watching Rey through the Force.

Recall in ESB when Luke feels a sense of familiarity with Dagobah despite never having gone there. It's later established by Yoda that Yoda had been watching Luke through the Force.

Something similar happens in TFA, though it is not spelled out. When Kylo is trying to probe Rey's mind, he sees an island in the ocean, which is conspicuously where Luke is, even though Rey did not consciously know it. I felt like the implication is that she has a subconscious connection to him. His lightsaber called to her, and she could see him through the Force (or where he was anyway).

I think it's possible that he could have been influencing her from afar. Perhaps he somehow was responsible for the Awakening. At any rate, I don't believe he's her father. But I do think he is aware of her and has been watching her.

I've not read the novelization but I've heard mention that it's implied that Kylo Ren feels like he recognizes her. I don't know if that's true. But if it is, I'd think that perhaps she was a student of Luke's (in which case her parentage probably doesn't matter) or she may have been a child of one of Luke's students that he was able to rescue from the slaughter, in which case her parents are still new characters.

For her to be Luke's kid though I think opens a can of worms for Maz to simultaneously tell her that her family isn't coming back, yet is. Or for Han and Leia to have no idea who she is. If Leia had a niece, then after hearing that Kylo Ren was bested in a saber fight by this girl... I would think Leia would be suspicious. But she treats her like nothing more than a new friend and ally.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.