main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Lineage / Parentage / Name

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by interxavier01, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Who are Rey's parents?

1. Luke and ????

84.2%
  2. Han and Leia

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It doesn't...at all. I am just wondering why we aren't picking the action up several months down the track or so... It must be pretty important for us to see their first conversations etc otherwise they would bypass it. It's proof of nothing - I acknowledge that! I just think important info will be revealed in these first few scenes with them. Surely if there were a bomb to be dropped they wouldn't go the exact ESB route (at the end of the film) ...maybe they will surprise us at the start? :cool: Just spitballing.

darthweevil - Maybe the crawl will mainly cover the gap between Starkiller being destroyed and what Snoke and Kylo have been up to? How long after does Rey leave the Resistance base to go see Luke? Who knows...

2. darthweevil

darthweevil Jedi Padawan

Jan 1, 2016
    With Luke's first line being "No, I am your father."

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just make her a Dameron and be done with it.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    They've made spin-off shows like The Clone Wars or Star Wars Rebels or the novels/books or future spin-off movies for expanding the universe. That is not the priority of the main episodes.

They've already claimed that the episodes are the Skywalker story. Kathleen Kennedy, Bob Iger, and Alan Horn have all said so. Darth Vader Skywalker is all over the branding for the merchandise like the Star Wars box sets and stuff and will continue to be the grand patriarch of the Saga. And two, they've said that Rey is the main character of the sequel trilogy. The only thing they've directly avoided saying: Rey is a Skywalker and its reveal is slated for a future movie.

Bob Iger: “We love what we’ve seen [for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story].” “It does not fit neatly into the Skywalker saga.” (September 21, 2016) “[Rogue One]’s really interesting in terms of ‘Star Wars’ storytelling.” “‘Star Wars’ has only been told as a saga, and this is a moment in time … we love what we’ve seen.” (September 21, 2016)

Alan Horn: “[Rogue One] is terribly important to us because we all know that we could do Star Wars VII – which was The Force Awakens – and we’ll have a Star Wars VIII, and we could continue that progression of Star Wars-related films which are really a function of what’s going on with the Skywalker family and what happened to Han Solo and all of that. To have a picture [Rogue One] that celebrates the Star Wars universe in a more peripheral manner – call it a standalone film – and to have the audience [think], ‘oh this is still a part of the Star Wars universe’ and ‘we like this stuff’ and in fact ‘we love it’ and it was important to us to include in this experience [some] of the original John Williams music even though Michael Giacchino did it. So we want the audience to see familiar characters from the Star Wars that they know and love – like Darth Vader and so on – and it all ties together. So this is very exciting for us.” (December 10, 2016)

Kathleen Kennedy: “The ‘Star Wars’ episodes follow the Skywalker family and tell a continuing story. The standalone movies, which can occur anyplace on the timeline, will introduce new characters and explore a wide variety of genres.” (December 13, 2016)

Kathleen Kennedy: “The Saga films are primarily the soap opera centered around the Skywalker family. The standalone films can be a wide variety of genres inside the Star Wars universe, and they very definitely have a beginning, middle, and end. They are not being designed to necessarily build new franchises. They are really being designed as standalone movies which is fantastic for the filmmakers we bring in, and the actors we hire, because it’s a different sensibility. And the stories can fall pretty much anywhere on the timeline. There is no strict guidelines for what we’re doing.” “Star Wars is very different than Marvel in that they basically build their stories around characters, and then they seed those characters in different stories. Star Wars you know is a place, it’s a universe, so those stories are constructed a little differently than Marvel.” “It just so happens to be Rogue One is the precursor to New Hope and yes, this Han Solo idea, but I would not argue that we are setting up any kind of prequel notion with these standalone movies. I think that’s so far just coincidence. And to be perfectly honest, we have changed the order of those at the last minute, so that’s not the intention at all.” (December 17, 2015)

Kathleen Kennedy: “The Saga films focus on the Skywalker family saga. The stories follow a linear narrative that connects to the previous six films. The Force Awakens follows Return of the Jedi and continues that generational story. The Anthology films offer opportunities to explore fresh characters, new storylines and a variety of genres inside the Star Wars universe.” (The Costco Connection magazine October 2015)

“Kathleen said it was by the way is the ‘family’ in the important elements of Star Wars. Asked what will be involved family members of former fans familiar characters in this film, ‘be-I will’ and wry smile. Stayed to answer the ‘Skywalker clan in all star wars has done.'” (Bing translation May 2015)

Kathleen Kennedy: “Family is very important inside the Star Wars movies. Daisy when she came in I was particularly taken by the fact that she kept talking about her family–her mom, her sisters. We began to realize that many of the things about Daisy are the things that are inside the character that is played in the movie of Rey.” (April 30, 2015)

Kathleen Kennedy: “This is a generational family saga and that fundamentally has been very important to us to continue that.” “And the drama inherent in that is the tension between good and evil.” (April 30, 2015)

J. J. Abrams: “[What does Star Wars mean to me?] […] When you look at Star Wars, it is unbelievable how much they got right. Not just the story and the characters and the casting. Not just the design, not just the music. All of it. When you look at all of it, you realize how much was nailed…even the references to things that happened off-camera. The things you don’t know. You don’t know so much in that movie, like what the Empire wants or the possibility that Darth Vader is Luke’s father, or that Leia is Luke’s sister. All these things exist, but none are explicit. Yet, it has that sense that this world is real and exists and is expansive. […]” “Star Wars is many things. At the core, it’s this family saga. It’s a family drama. It is about finding your own strength and finding connections with people you wouldn’t anticipate knowing. It’s about secrets and causes and joining something larger than yourself. Good and evil. […]” (Star Wars Insider magazine #162 January 2016 issue – released: December 22, 2015)

J. J. Abrams: "Look, [The Force Awakens] is the first, this is an opportunity of a lifetime to write a movie that is the first of a series, and there is a story to be told. And it will be. But this movie, it felt like ‘the droid is in the hands of your father, Han Solo’ was probably the one real revelatory familial piece we could get away with.” (December 22, 2015)

J. J. Abrams: (to George Lucas) “[What happened to Darth Vader's grandchildren?] You tell me, man. You made all this **** up.” (October 29, 2015)

To recreate the structure of the OT and the shocking moments

The reason the Vader reveal in V is one of the most shocking/greatest of all time is because there wasn't set up beforehand for it: It was the ultimate buttpull because George Lucas changes his mind all the time. They want to emulate the buttpull and turn it into an art form.

Episode VII was an attempt to recreate the structure of the OT. They aren't just copying the iconography and reusing the characters of the OT, but its structure as well. Abrams and Kasdan's job was to set the table and pave the way to create a shocking (to those that don't see it coming) reveal later on after their movie is over.

Abrams has to talk around what they're doing (he's said he's protecting Rian Johnson's secrets).

J. J. Abrams: “I loved how Star Wars had that sense of a world far beyond the borders of what you can see and have been told – it’s one of the things it did so brilliantly. If you watch the first movie, you don’t actually know exactly what the Empire is trying to do. They’re going to rule by fear – but you don’t know what their end game is. You don’t know what Leia is princess of. You don’t yet understand who Jabba the Hutt is, even though there is a reference to him. You don’t know that Vader is Luke’s father, Leia is his sister – but the possibility is all there. The beauty of that movie was that it was an unfamiliar world, & yet you wanted to see it expand and to see where it went.” (November 2, 2013)

J. J. Abrams: “What was incredible about Star Wars, among other things, was that in that first movie Vader could’ve been his father, but he wasn’t, you know. Leia could’ve been his sister, but she wasn’t. You didn’t really know what the Empire was up to exactly. You didn’t really understand what it meant that there was a Senate or the Dark Times or any of the references, and yet you felt the presence of all these things and you understood because it was all being referenced in a way that allowed you to fill in the blanks, and that’s a very powerful thing.” (May 6, 2015)

J. J. Abrams: “We wanted to tell a story that had its own self-contained beginning, middle, and end but at the same time, like A New Hope, implied a history that preceded it and also hinted at a future to follow. When Star Wars first came out, it was a film that both allowed the audience to understand a new story but also to infer all sorts of exciting things that might be. In that first movie, Luke wasn’t necessarily the son of Vader, he wasn’t necessarily the brother of Leia, but it was all possible. The Force Awakens has this incredible advantage, not just of a passionate fan base but also of a backstory that is familiar to a lot of people. We’ve been able to use what came before in a very organic way, because we didn’t have to reboot anything. We didn’t have to come up with a backstory that would make sense; it’s all there.” (November 2015)

J. J. Abrams: “As a fan of Star Wars, I can look at those [original trilogy] movies and both respect and love what they’ve done. But working on The Force Awakens, we’ve had to consider them in a slightly different context. For example, it’s very easy to love ‘I am your father.’ But when you think about how and when and where that came, I’m not sure that even Star Wars itself could have supported that story point had it existed in the first film, Episode IV. Meaning: It was a massively powerful, instantly classic moment in movie history, but it was only possible because it stood on the shoulders of the film that came before it. There had been a couple of years to allow the idea of Darth Vader to sink in, to let him emerge as one of the greatest movie villains ever. Time built up everyone’s expectations about the impending conflict between Luke and Vader. If ‘I am your father’ had been in the first film, I don’t know if it would have had the resonance. I actually don’t know if it would have worked.” (November 2015)

J. J. Abrams: “The most jaw-dropping-est thing to me, in retrospect, is that moment in Episode IV when Leia is being held and Vader goes in to torture her for information. When you think of it later, it’s like, ‘Oh my God, that’s his daughter.’ He’s going to torture his own daughter. At the time, it’s just scary. Then it gets just really creepy when you think about it. It’s the worst. It’s horrible.” “It is [bizarre]. But that’s what’s so amazing about Star Wars, too. The possibilities were so enormous. At the end of Star Wars, you didn’t know who was related to whom, but anything was possible. That’s what was so cool about it.” (December 9, 2015)

J. J. Abrams: “The thing about Star Wars is everyone who has seen these movies thinks, you know, ‘I am your father.’ It’s one of the first things you think about. And, ‘There is another.’ And moments like that. But when you think about those big moments and then you stop and go, oh, neither of those things were in Star Wars. You know, Star Wars didn’t say that Luke was the son of Vader. Star Wars didn’t say that Leia was the sister of Luke. You didn’t really understand what these references were. The Empire, dark times, Clone Wars. There are these things that are discussed that don’t get explained. It was Episode IV. You know, George, among the unbelievable list of brilliant things he did, dropped you into a story and respected you and said, ‘You will infer everything necessary to understand exactly what you need to know.’ And that’s what we tried to do with this. We knew we were going to have a moment when Snoke was going to say to Ren, ‘Your dad’s in the picture.’ Can this movie actually also hold, you know, ‘And Rey is this and Finn is that and this is where Poe…’? It was one of those things, and again it speaks to your restraint…Look, this is the first, this is an opportunity of a lifetime to write a movie that is the first of a series, and there is a story to be told. And it will be. But this movie, it felt like ‘the droid is in the hands of your father, Han Solo’ was probably the one real revelatory familial piece we could get away with.” (December 22, 2015)

J. J. Abrams: “[What does Star Wars mean to me?] […] When you look at Star Wars, it is unbelievable how much they got right. Not just the story and the characters and the casting. Not just the design, not just the music. All of it. When you look at all of it, you realize how much was nailed…even the references to things that happened off-camera. The things you don’t know. You don’t know so much in that movie, like what the Empire wants or the possibility that Darth Vader is Luke’s father, or that Leia is Luke’s sister. All these things exist, but none are explicit. Yet, it has that sense that this world is real and exists and is expansive. […]” “Star Wars is many things. At the core, it’s this family saga. It’s a family drama. It is about finding your own strength and finding connections with people you wouldn’t anticipate knowing. It’s about secrets and causes and joining something larger than yourself. Good and evil. […]” (Star Wars Insider magazine #162 January 2016 issue – released: December 22, 2015)

J. J. Abrams: “[Who are Rey’s parents?] Get out! Get out! Rey’s parents are not in Episode VII. So I can’t possibly – in this moment – tell you who they are. But I will say, that it is… this is all I’ll say: it is something that Rey thinks about, too.” (April 15, 2016) “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world.” (April 15, 2016)

OT/PT → ST
    Darth Vader (villain father) → Kylo Ren (villain brother)
    Luke (brother) → Rey (sister)
    Leia (sister) → Han (father)
    Padmé (mother) → Leia (mother)
    Obi-Wan*/Yoda (mentor) → Luke (uncle – mentor)

* Obi-Wan was also kind of like the brother-in-law to Anakin & Padmé (Episode III) like Luke is to Han and Leia. Obi-Wan regarded his long-time relationship with Anakin like a brother, he said in Episode III. Obi-Wan watched over and trained Luke like an uncle.

To recreate the structure of the original trilogy....

IV - Luke's bogus family story (Luke: my dad was a spice freighter navigator! I wish I knew him. Obi-Wan: Your dad was a Jedi murdered by Vader. )
    V - The implausible based on the previous film becomes possible with no explanation to the audience (Vader: No, I am your father, Luke!)

VI - Even more implausible based on the previous films becomes reality as things are finally explained to the audience (Obi-Wan: Sorry dude we hid you and your sister away from your psycho dad. Luke: Leia is my sister. I've been kissed by my sister!)

...could play out this way:

VII - Rey's bogus family story (Rey: I'm waiting on Jakku for my family to come back to Jakku.)
    VIII - The implausible based on the previous film becomes possible with no explanation to the audience (Rey is Kylo Ren's sister)
    IX - Even more implausible based on the previous films becomes reality as things are finally explained to the audience

5. KumixAyu

KumixAyu Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2017
    Maybe she isen't a Skywalker / Solo? The only thing she seems to remember is that she was left on Jakku. Could she be a survivor of the attack of the Knights on Ren. And Luke hid her on Jakku? When she picks up Luke's lightsaber she has a vision of the Knights of Ren.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Ben Solo
    Rey Skywalker
    Finn Calrissian

...make it happen! :D

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Binks.

She is a Binks.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    That's quite a post, except the only word in it I agree with with "implausible".

9. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    sorry wrong board

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    There's a Youtube video recently posted by I believe Youtuber Qui Gon Josh, he determines a good theory revolving around Rey's lineage based on the Force visions she has when picking up the Skywalker lightsaber. There's the quick scene where she's lying in the mud, looks up and is about to be attacked by a knight of Ren, and Kylo Ren stabs him in the back to protect her. His theory is that, of course she's Luke's daughter, but this was a small portion of Kylo's good coming out. That perhaps he felt a connection with his cousin, with the great force potential both of them had and being tied to a now historic bloodline, that he could not kill his younger cousin. QGJ thinks Kylo left her on Jakku but allowed Luke to believe he had killed his daughter, sending him to exile and clearing the way for Kylo and Snoke's rule.

I personally believe a mixture of theories I have found on youtube. The possibility that she is Palpataine's granddaughter based on her fighting style, and the parallel it would draw in the story of a good Palpataine relative fighting an evil Skywalker relative. I also think she could be a Kenobi, as none of the Skywalker's have a British accent, and it is Obi Wan's voice she first hears during the vision. I'm torn equally, and also think she could be "Anakin re-incarnated" so to speak, where a chosen one is born whenever the Force goes out of balance. I just don't think it's going to be as easy as she is Luke's daughter, as it's automatically, what everyone assumes.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    SINCE THIS IS ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE CHARACTER, TAKE IT TO THE NEWLY REOPENED REY LINEAGE THREAD IN THE 8 & 9 FORUM. LOCKING.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.