main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Parentage

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Force22, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Actually, this isn't THAT trollish of an idea.... perhaps as a joke at first, but I noticed rather interestingly Ben's eyes are blue just like Anakin's were and meanwhile Rey has some brown eyes. I'm no mathematician or genetecist (is that even a word) so I'm not quite sure how to deduce that chain you made, but no parties involved are green-eyed or even light brown-eyed, so....

2. Darth Mollie

Darth Mollie Jedi Knight

Aug 1, 2014
    Sorry, didn't mean to keep this going. I was just now catching up to everything I said last night. Curse you, Disney, for leaving us on the edge where all we can do is speculate!

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  3. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    In any case, I think I'm in agreement with Force22 here- PrincessKenobi Jedi Merkurian A Chorus of Disapproval would it be alright to close this thread, since the Bet seems to most likely be called off now? If not, would it be alright to request a thread title change (perhaps to "Rey's Heritage" or something like that), so that folks don't get the misunderstanding that the Bet is still ongoing?

MattOrgana likes this.
  4. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanks, Jaina. I don't mean this to sound antagonistic, but do you have a source on that? Where did you hear/read it? I'm cool with it being set in either time period, but if they do happen to set it to be close in time to ANH, that'd be very cool to have Rey's mom be the heroine of her own eponymous movie...that would make Rey the daughter of TWO über heroes...which, I suppose, you can say the same about Luke and Leia, but Rey's mom would have a whole movie named after her!

5. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Everything you know is true...from a certain point of view...Han and Leia obviously knew Ren (Ben) at the point he went dark. If part of his going dark involved stealing and spiriting away his sister then he could have arranged to make it look like she was dead. Therefore neither Han nor Leia would have reason to even look for her.

Now consider that the film heavily implies that Ren and Rey have at least some history between them. They interact as if they know each other much better than they should if they've only met since the attack on Jakku. How could they know each other? Because Ren is the one who left her there. It would be a trivial matter for him (or Snoke) to have wiped her knowledge that she is Han and Leia's daughter from her memory. And before you gripe about "speculation", she would also have to have had her memory wiped if she were Luke's daughter, so you can't disallow that bit of speculation w/o hurting your own case. She never says anything that indicates she's Luke's daughter.

6. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Hm... Her training *was her guardian. (?)

7. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Sure you want it closed? We can always move it to Spoilers Allowed 8 and 9.

8. Jaina_Snoke

Jaina_Snoke Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Oh shoot, totally my bad! I must have gotten facts mixed up because I read it here and it says it will take place before ANH although the exact timeline is inconclusive http://www.comingsoon.net/movie/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-2016#/slide/1

As you and IG-13, I'd love to have a whole film dedicated to Rey's mum played by Felicity. She must be slightly older than Luke though. Maybe the same five year gap as Anakin and Padme, or a bit less?

IG-13 likes this.
  9. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Lol...

No, this one was for TFA and closed on December 10th. As of now, the bet is off unless someone comes out and states Rey's parentage (but even then things can be pretty subjective).

Also, this joke was more as a way to lighten up the debate, but it's getting out of control...

10. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Obviously it takes place very shortly before ANH, because they hand off the data to Princess Leia.

EviL_eLF, IG-13 and Jaina_Snoke like this.
  11. Jaina_Snoke

Dec 18, 2015
    Thanks! I was thinking that if the Rebel cell featured in Rogue One plays such a role regarding Leia's data in ANH then there's a possibility to draw a plausible link between Felicity's character and Luke right after RoTJ. But this is entering speculation ground with little evidence at this point and maybe off topic for this thread.

12. RobShanti

Jan 6, 2009
    Yeah, that seems likely...UNLESSSS....Rogue One is mongo Force sensitive or otherwise some kind of piloting prodigy, and is, like, flying this mission at about 18 years old or something. But based on the production still, the character appears to be in her early twenties. So, yeah, my money is on her being slightly older than Luke, but still close enough in age to him that it doesn't strain credulity that she and he would get together.

Wouldn't it be cool if, in ANH, Luke flew the X-wing she would have been flying on that mission over Yavin but for the fact that she was still recovering from injuries sustained in the mission to acquire the Death Star plans? I can see a filler comic book where Luke and Rogue One meet, and she says something like, "Hey, flyboy, that was my ship you flew..." as he looks at her with stars in his eyes, not really able to process what she's saying.

13. DarthBorealis

DarthBorealis Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2013
    Rey Palpatine

RobShanti likes this.
  14. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    The timing is not really speculation. It has been pretty much said in several interviews that RO is the immediate prequel to ANH, showing us the events covered in the opening crawl.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  15. Jaina_Snoke

Dec 18, 2015
    This sounds too awsome to be true T___T I'd love to see that though. There's so much potential with the whole Rogue One story. And if you think about it, it makes sense having another Star Wars Story related to one of the characters in the saga the same way we are getting a film about young Han Solo.

Kev Snowmane I meant the speculation about Rogue One hooking up with Luke.

RobShanti likes this.
  16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Ok. Well, it's a little worrying that people aren't taking Rey's parentage seriously enough. If I continue to see people being flippant or ironic or sarcastic about it, or even on the fence, I may have to analyze eye color. We really need an answer.

Seagoat likes this.
  17. RobShanti

Jan 6, 2009
    You know, I was thinking...we don't even have to wait that long for them to pair up. It's actually possible that Luke and Rogue One meet right after the Battle of Yavin, but we just never saw any evidence of the relationship in ESB or RotJ, even if Rey's conception didn't occur until after RotJ.

While Luke actively attempts to rival Han for Leia's attention and affection in ANH, he doesn't do that in ESB or RotJ. Yes, Leia kisses him full on the mouth in the medical bay on Hoth, but Luke really does nothing purposefully to encourage that, nor does he attempt to capitalize on that kiss, except to put his hands behind his head and make a "oh yeah" face possibly to rib Han. So, really, an argument can be made that Luke stopped trying to impress Princess Leia by the time of the events of the Battle of Hoth because he'd already become sweet on Rogue One by that time even though we didn't see it on screen.

You know how Lucasfilm likes to reveal twists that turn our long-held perception of things on its head. That would certainly be in line with that sort of thing.

nightangel likes this.
  18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I think we should move it to spoilers 8. Maybe her parentage will be revealed in 8.:)

EviL_eLF likes this.
  19. Jaina_Snoke

Dec 18, 2015
    I know what you mean, taking advantage of the ambiguity of some scenes. After all, they turned that kiss into a sibling relationship with no effort afterwards. I'm betting on a a slow burn kind of relationship after Yavin that got fully explored when Palpatine was no more.

RobShanti likes this.
  20. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I have been on the fence, but I'm happy if she's a Skywalker either way. I am a first generation fan, probably older than most of you. These movies mean so much to me. I saw the originals when they first came out. I must say although I liked the prequels, they didn't speak to me like the original trilogy did. Now here we are debating whether Luke or Leia is Rey's parent. This movie has taken me back. This is awesome!:D

MattOrgana, RobShanti and Jaina_Snoke like this.
  21. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I actually would prefer that personally; but only if the thread title is changed to just "Rey's Heritage." No need to drag on the Bet for another year and a half.

22. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    And maybe change the first post?

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    HAHAHAH SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

EDIT: oh... wait a second... [face_plain]

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA