main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Even though its not, Mark Ruffalo in Star Wars would feel like Disney cross promotion to me

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I think it is a safe bet that Johnson is just slagging off the the general chatter about CGI in Star Wars.

Bruce Banner - Age of Ultron ends with the Avengers launching Hulk into space. The rocket lands on Endor and the Ewoks make him their king. Together they conquer the GFFA and the MCU. :D

Redimet, starocean90 and TheBBP like this.
  3. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Satipo and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    What's the time stamp when they talk Star Wars?

Never mind, found it.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Big difference between assembly line studio sequel productions and the fact that Lucasfilm is going to work along the Marvel and Pixar model (both run by Disney wherein both groups break stories together for various projects) where they have repeatedly stated that all of the film and TV groups are working together in Lucasfilm re. Star wars. nobody writes in a vacuum at the Disney Marvel / Pixar / Lucasfilm trifecta, it's very similar to how TV show writers rooms are run.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    He's writing EP 8 right now? That means he knows the entire EP 7 script. At least I hope.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Of course he does :)

TheBBP likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    He does. They've already said that all of the various writers, directors, etc. are fully aware of what the others are doing. Which is just going to make everything flow better between projects. I can't wait!

9. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

Perhaps as a grizzled bounty hunter who shows up in VIII.... or what?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Whatever they want. I'm up for it.

11. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    To me, if Mark Ruffalo turned up, it'd feel too much like he'd just biked over to the SW stage from the Avengers stage. I know that's obviously not how that would actually work, but I just mean it'd pull me out of the film and remind me that Star Wars is a Disney tent pole property like Marvel, if Marvel actors started cropping up. But that's just me.

12. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    To be fair it's not too far to bike from Shepperton to Pinewood :p

13. TelemachosJr

TelemachosJr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2014
    Im still pissed jj isnt doing the entire st

14. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    They're releasing them only 2 years apart so he won't have time to do EpVIII. Johnson will be into preproduction as Abrams is still finishing VII. I think JJ will be back to close out the trilogy with IX.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It'll be interesting to see if that does happen. I wouldn't be surprised.

16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I dunno, I don't see JJ coming back.

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Why? He seems to be loving it. I think it's the obvious outcome. He can't do Ep8 for schedule reasons but he gets to have a break & then come back & finish what he started.
    He'll probably have a choice between Ep9 & Star Trek 4. That decision will take him all of 5 seconds.

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't think it's purely scheduling that JJ is not doing VII.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    You mean VIII I assume. I think the reason is scheduling & time away from his family. Again, he gets to have a break & come back in a few years & complete the trilogy. That's what my money's on.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, there was that rumor from Devin about trouble.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The decision not to do VIII would've been made right from when he signed on. VIII is coming out in only 3 years. Planning would've started for that long ago. He has said he almost knocked back SW bcs of time away from his family in the US. My guess is he's now loving it so much he'll be back in 2017 to start IX. Especially if VII is a huge hit & well received.

22. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Devin is trouble. They are rushing the trilogy out and giving the team the time they need to make VIII

23. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    VII has been rushed but they have plenty of time for the next two. That's why there are different directors & writers for VIII, so there's no overlap of work. I think this is why production will then go back to the EpVII writers & director to do IX...if they knock this film out of the park.

24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Put it this way - it's not impossible that Disney and LFL and Bad Robot are very excited about the footage and the film they are getting, but are perfectly happy to be moving forward with someone else (RJ). Also, it seemed clear from the beginning that JJ would only be tackling the first film and I'm not sure KK would not to cede too much power and control of the franchise to JJ and Bad Robot.

Immortiss and Darth Malgus like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That has a bit of conspiracy theory/paranoia about it. If JJ delivers an amazing film that is a huge hit KK will be rolling out the welcome mat to him for Ep IX. That's just good business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.