main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014

Please no. Cameron is a terrible director. Spielberg is a decent director, but I don't think he has the right sensibilities for a Star Wars film. Also, I think they should be getting younger blood involved at this point, as they have with JJ and RJ.

2. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

All I'll say is that I disagree.

SgtTimBob likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I like the idea of each episode having a different director. It prevents anyone from having too much influence over the trilogy.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it'll be three different directors for the trilogy. I don't think it's anything against JJ or Rian for that matter. I just think they want different creative voices for each film.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well from what I remember, the talk of Johnson doing Episode 9 also was a misquote. IT was announced that he would write and direct 8 and then write a "treatment" for 9. Some sites, did not get that memo, but once they did corrected their orginal statements.

Still I'm all for an EW Star Wars movie. Something tells me this will help the "Ant-Man" debacle blow over. In fact it may be "one" of the reasons he might have been chosen.

If he has been chosen that is.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    If EpVII is an amazingly awesome film that blows us away I'm sure we'll all welcome JJ back for Ep IX.

7. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Wow "Spielberg is a decent director". Lol I absolutely do not understand how Steven is not recognized by all as one of the best ever. He truly is. Most of his films are unparalled. And the fact that he directed Indiana Jones makes him more than qualified to direct a Star Wars film. I would kill to have one directed by him.

Rabs likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I'd be happy for him to have a spinoff. Even a spinoff series. Something he can create from the ground up & make his own.

9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I like the freedom KK is giving each director. Allowing them to tell a story that they're passionate about should produce great results.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed. Just as long as they gel together well & feel like episodes of the same story.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That's what the Story Group is for.

Kinberg, for example, provided commentary and revision for the E7 screenplay. Basically Johnson will be submitting his work to a group of readers and they'll redline his work and throw it back to him for revision.

How things work now is a lot like how TV works. The episode writers are allowed to produce their own episodes, but they're also working as a team on a larger arc and reporting ultimately to the "story runner."

12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Sure but the SG don't have input into filming styles, camera work, acting performances etc. There needs to be synergy in these areas between the episodes. I'm sure there will be.

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Why wouldn't the SG have some input? The story group is made up of the directors, screenplay writers, novel writers, and KK, etc. Aren't these exactly the people who will be talking to each other? How else do you think synergy would be created? By luck?

14. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Was Irvin Kershner well known before Empire Strikes Back? I mean really well-known.

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I like it when you're in feisty form Dra. Good to see.

I thought you were referring to the Story Group, that is the group comprising Pablo, Leeland etc who are in charge of overseeing canon. Seems you're talking about the story group, that is, a loose term for everyone involved in writing & producing SW content. Might just be a misunderstanding due to the misuse of upper case in your earlier post ;)

This is a non issue anyway. Whoever's job it is, someone will ensure the episodes are consistent in style.

16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The Story Group is made up of all these people you just mentioned. There is no loose term. The directors, writers, and people like Pablo and Chee are all part of the same storytelling group led by KK. They all have different focuses, of course, but they work together toward the same goal -- synergy, as you put it. JJ doesn't have to read a novel because Hidalgo and Chee keep everyone up to date on the current facts of the universe. Rian Johnson doesn't have to ask a "someone" if his directing ideas will mesh; he's already working with JJ and KK and the writers and the encyclopedia people so he's up to speed on everything.

Have you ever had a job in a corporate environment where people meet weekly or once a day? Some people are directors of projects while others are fact checkers and others specialize in writing proposals. Like the Story Group, they work together towards the same goal.

Gone are the days of directors wandering around on their own willy nilly without any kind of team or longterm plan.

Death_Jar_Jar and vinsanity like this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's just semantics really & we agree on what the outcome will be. Being technical though I don't think the writers & directors are part of the Story Group as such. They don't get a SG laminate or t-shirt. However they will no doubt confer with the SG throughout on various story matters.

18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    You are fundamentally confused about the nature of the SG. The directors and writers are the leaders of it. The Story Group is constructing the story. Who else would do this other than the writers and directors?

What else do you think Filoni means when he says:

This isn't just a matter of semantics. It's about understanding and accepting the basic situation.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    This is one of the silliest conversations we've had, & that's saying something. The SG is a permanent group established by Lucasfilm. It overseas canon & ensures consistency across all mediums. The writers & directors who come & go from the movies, tv shows & comics etc don't temporarily join & then leave the official SG. However they all confer so if you really want to you can call the writers & directors AND the SG who confer with them one big "story group". As for the actual SG here's a description from the SW Wiki since you're not taking my word for it: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lucasfilm_Story_Group

20. TelemachosJr

TelemachosJr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2014
    I still think disney is making a huge mistake not allowing jj to do the entire st

21. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I doubt it. He had directed quite a bit of stuff but nothing that great.

22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm going to put it out there right now that RJ will make a better SW film than JJ, even though I have a feeling VII is going to good or better.

EternalHero and vinsanity like this.
  23. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    It was probably JJ's decision.

24. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Conversation between Terry Gilliam and Rian Johnson:

http://thetalkhouse.com/film/talks/...heorem-for-the-talkhouse-film-podcast-part-1/

Looks like Lucasfilm is using the same procedure for each of the Sequels. At this point RJ hasn't had much interaction with GL, like Michael Arndt. Once there's a script, GL will probably shepherd it to production (as he did with JJA) and then drop out again. He actually worked that way a lot in the past with his own projects. RJ is probably working from the Outlines right now, sounds like he's pretty much been given the freedom to interpret, same as MA. There's also the possibility that having the shooting script for 7 and the outlines for 8 & 9 that it's easier to figure out what's required.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  25. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    This was posted a couple pages behind ;)

Lucas is retired, probably RJ talked to him once or twice but that's about it, like he said, Kathleen Kennedy is in charge now and the one he has to report to, he does not need GL "blessing" nor do I think he's working from the Outlines that Lucas gave, his main source will be EPVII final script (which may or may not have followed most Outlines Lucas gave)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.