main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    [face_laugh] That's why ya gotta avoid "marathon" style. Pace yourself- take a nap in between.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Or this...
    [​IMG]

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I meant Closer to the OT my bad .....

4. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    IK took GL's ideas and made it a great movie wiht ESB. if IK had also directed ROTJ there probably be a lot less arguments on this board daily. so here is a good example of how GL's ideas did excellent when filtered a bit with someone/group of people very talented. straight GL very little unfiltered are the prequels as far as i know (and thats not saying they stunk), so....thinking that JJ will put out a great quality well done film and RJ is going to put out a very deep feeling movie. keeping positive here.

off topic...example of where i absolutely wanted to see same director in all movies and it worked awesome is george miller. even looking back at beyond thunderdome which many ive heard say is weaker, is LOADED with meaning, depth, examples of how society will always repeat itself, and great acting and consistency. lookin forward to the next installment

TKT likes this.
  5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so when will Rian Johnson start Pre-Production on Episode VIII?

6. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I think he already did, he's writing the script at the moment.

7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

This except it was Mark Hamill at the meeting. XD

dolphin and EHT like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Tomorrow

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So has Rian spoken about his role as director at any point recently?

10. EmperorAjay

EmperorAjay Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    They are having that Rian Johnson guy take over. I did NOT like Looper and I did NOT think it was good.... and I don't think he has an extensive enough resume to justify him writing and directing the next two.

Obviously we know Kasdan is talented.... and he is the next best thing to Lucas.

11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Caffeine_Force likes this.
  12. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    JJ will be involued with the next one as the Producer, he just will not be the day to day director on set. JJ signed to give his input to all three films in this trilogy.

Redimet likes this.
  13. Caffeine_Force

Caffeine_Force Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2014
    Is there a temporary ban rule for having multiple threads locked in the same day? If not there should be.

And he directed 3 classic episodes of Breaking Bad, along with Brick which if nothing else was a confident and stylish debut film.

PymParticles , TKT and Adaven like this.
  14. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014

Is Looper the only thing you have seen of his? You can't really judge someone on one film/TV show episode. Then again, he directed one of, if not the best, episode of Breaking Bad as well.

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That is the answer.

Because it's not Lucas.

16. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    So what? George Lucas didn't have an extensive resume before Star Wars, nor Spielberg before Jaws. Those turned out okay. [face_dunno]

TKT and Adaven like this.
  17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Is he 'the producer'?

18. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    It is just a bad idea... like hiring Michael Arndt as the writer of this one originally.

Oblivion was total crap... so if that's what he was going to make SW in to.. uh no thanks.

19. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    So, because you personally didn't like Looper, he isn't a qualified director? I think you'll find that a great number of people are *more* excited about Johnson than they are about Abrams.

And Arndt has written far more than just Oblivion. His hiring was one of the first signs that they wanted a really great story, regardless of what happened behind the scenes...

You're new, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but just posting inflammatory comments isn't the best way to start around here.

20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I liked Oblivion... I don't like "Ajay" :p but only because anytime I try to swipe "also" on my tablet, it inexplicably thinks I'm trying to swipe "Ajay". Never even heard that name before trying to type "also" in a few FB posts over the last couple weeks, so I don't know why it seems like it's suddenly in my tablet's dictionary.

21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think after VII comes out and it gets good reviews a lot of fans are going to want JJ to direct Episode VIII and IX.

Pondscum likes this.
  22. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    PK EDIT: Be kind.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think Kasdan should remain involved.
    Didn't see Looper so I can't judge it.
    I was really hoping for the long-awaited but always elusive Spielberg Star Wars

24. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    JJ and Kasdan aren't doing VIII because the release schedule doesn't allow enough time for that to be feasible. VIII is coming out just two years after TFA. That's not enough time, which is why Rian Johnson and his team are working on VIII right now.

It's entirely possible that JJ and Kasdan are doing IX, though. Rian Johnson is writing a treatment, but isn't signed on the write the script or direct. It's not impossible that JJ and Kasdan will write the full screenplay and direct. It may well depend on how TFA is recieved.

JJ's reluctance to spend time away from his family has been given as a reason for him not being involved after TFA. That's totally understandable, of course. IX is coming out in 2019 - four full years after TFA. With that much time to spare, JJ could take an entire year off to chill with his family before going back to work. :)

25. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    It was cool how they made JGL look like Bruce Willis, but besides that it was a dull, dumb script which made really no sense. It's one of those movies that critics love that makes me facepalm... like how critics almost universally loved Avatar. Yes, the movie LOOKED great.... A for appearance, F for story. Alien pocahontas that costs a ton of $ does not mean it is a great film.... but whatever, the masses want what the masses want...

What would Spielberg Star Wars look like? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.