main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    according to Abrams Johnson is Directing episode 8 but not episode 9 ....

Maharishineo likes this.
  2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

If you read the article in the very first post of this thread, you will see that as far as we know, this has always been the case.

3. VonDizzler

VonDizzler Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    Although I lobe that Johnson is directing Episode 8, I'd love for someone else to take the helm for Episode 9. I like seeing what different directors can bring to Star Wars.

Maharishineo likes this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    TheBBP I never questioned the validity of what you are saying I just meant I listened and watched the entire Abrams Interview and I was just reiterating what Abrams said in the interview for people that did not want to watch the entire interview or read the transcript. I also think think this leaves open the door that if Abrams wants to come back and direct episode 9 or some one new like Brad Bird or Jon Favreau....

5. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw a tweet from Rian Johnson...he had to look up whether lightsaber was one word. Should...we...be worried for VIII?

6. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Riiiiiiiiiiiight....

7. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    It was a joke.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Headless Pre Vizsla, the Corpse Years.

(Odd comment but I honestly think Favreau's performance as Pre Vizsla in Clone Wars is really one of my favourite acting things he's done. Dude's evil!)

9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Why would that worry anyone? I've used it in both forms... one word and two... that has absolutely nothing to do with knowing how to make a Star Wars film.

10. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
  11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Either way it's a practical effect work. It's simply of question of doing the work pre-production and shooting on set or post production and adding it in later assuming that you don't change your mind after and then redo the work after or go back and reshoot.

12. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Err no

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I did not know where to post this so,

I just read the New Age Of Ultron Empire Magazine Article and Joss Whedon was Quoted that "After Age Of Ultron He does not want to direct anymore Avengers Films" He wants to Direct something that Is his own. My question Is, After Whedon Directs a picture that is his own, might he be up for Directing Star Wars Episode 9 ?

14. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Please no. A Whedon Star Wars film is my ultimate nightmare.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I liked the Avengers and Age Of Ultron looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    They're fine for what they are. But I believe the Whedon model is ill-suited for Star Wars. Too much winking at the audience.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Well i am sure the script for episode 9 will follow in line with episodes 7 and 8 no matter who directs it, i am sure if Joss directs episode 9 there wont be to much winking at the audience, and remember Avengers are a Super Hero movie franchise, totally different then the feel of a Star Wars Movie.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Err why not?

How for example is shooting a scene with digital screen projection of a VFX sequence on set "practical" when a green screen isn't? In neither case is the VFX shot actually "there" it's a matte painting with moving elements or whatever.

Let's a very basic example:

Padme's balcony in her apartment:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So you have the set:

[​IMG]

and add in the matte painting after. With the projection you have a giant screen projecting that same thing.

Now that would be one giant screen!

19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    @Qui-Riv-Brid

the reason a "digital screen projection of a VFX sequence on set " like was done in Oblivion, is the Digital Screen Projection is usually a screen of a real location, Where as green screen like in the scenes you posted above are CGI, totally made up. but this belongs in another thread altogether .....

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

21. MDSJedi44

MDSJedi44 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012

MIchael Bay attached to Star Wars is my biggest nightmare, but Joss Whedon is a close second. Hopefully Johnson will do 8 and 9. It's nice to have different directors, but the more you have, the greater the chance of losing the "tone" of Star Wars.

22. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Christ, that baby freaked me out

Seagoat likes this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    IIRC the extras on Oblivion go into that and they aren't "real" per se. The clouds elements are live action shots at base but they still had to do all kinds of things to create the moods they wanted on the set.

I think it totally belongs here as it pertains to things that could be done by the director. Lucas wanted rear projection on ANH but when they didn't work they had to go with green and blue screens.

24. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Wait. Is that baby in the Tomb???

25. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    but according to the Oblivion making of Documentary the Digital Projection screen casts off real light from a real practical shot,

and this same technology was used for episode 7 ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.