main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    He was joking, of course. There's a retro sticker with Vader from ANH that says 'light saber'...

2. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Even if he wasn't joking, noone can actually be suggesting that this would indicate an inability to make a good Star Wars film, are they? I'd actually rather have a non-Star Wars nut direct these films. The fan fervor can cloud good sense.

3. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Agreed.

Someone mentioned Whedon? Please no. Brad Bird is my choice.

4. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I have nightmares of a Whedon Star Wars film, where 7 iconic characters come together at the same time and the same place and say, in unison, "I have a bad feeling about this."

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Is it really out of the realm of possibilities that George could come back for Ep IX?

Simply because he no longer owns Lucasfilm doesn't mean he's magically not a filmmaker/director anymore, and it seems like his original ambition was to start and end SW

Immortiss likes this.
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think Lucas is done with mainstream Hollywood movies his last mainstream Hollywood Movie was Strange Magic which I plan to see when it hits my discount Theater, my sister and her 7 year old son saw Strange Magic and they loved It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

7. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Out of a fading sense of loyalty to George Lucas, I watched Strange Magic with my young nephew. That's all I (and he) have to say about it.

Millennium Fairlane likes this.
  8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    If what we've heard and feared is true about TFA, poor Rian's got his work cut out for him in a big way!

9. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Why? To me, it sounds like Rian may have a great set of characters and storylines to work with.

10. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002

Yeah I would agree with it sounds like JJ left a lot of the juicier stuff for Johnson to work with.

I'm guessing Ep. VII will be more of a character driven, personal movie, Ep. VIII is then free to be the bigger spectacle type of movie.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I dig Rian Johnson but I think a different director for Episode 9 would have a nice callback to the OT with each director working on a different film. However, it should be noted in a lot of Hollywood blockbuster franchsing nowadays, if the producers find a director they like for a franchise, they hook them up to it for multiple installments (the last 4 Harry Potter movies were directed by the same guy. Who I thought did a bang-up job, BTW).

12. unicron5

Mar 19, 2002
    Wasn't Marquand basically a bust as a director on Jedi though? As in Lucas ended up having to direct most of the movie basically? I don't know how much truth there is to that, but that's kinda the story that's been out there.

Those rumors though may be profoundly unfair to Marquand.

13. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I always thought the movie was pretty much directed by Lucas over his shoulder but the more I read and the more I hear it sounds like this is just a popular myth.

14. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    It is a popular myth. Lucas took over, but only after the film was delivered to post-production. He didn't direct over anyone's shoulder. But he did take total charge of post.

I'm currently watching Brothers Bloom on Netflix right now (well, my wife is. I'm typing bs into tiny boxes on the internet in the same room) and man - it is GOOD. So good.

15. unicron5

Mar 19, 2002

Kind of a shame then that Marquand got stuck with that reputation. I guess maybe it comes from him not being as savvy with shooting special effects shots? The logistics of that could be mind-numbing for anyone though I would have to think.

It's sad too that he died just a few years after Jedi.

Love Jedi or not, I've never heard anyone complain about the Vader-Luke-Emperor scenes. Those are the heart of the movie, and those scenes all work as well as anything in Empire.

16. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Part of why that reputation stuck with him is that he didn't live long enough to defend himself. And Lucas did and said nothing to dispel those rumors, as far as I can tell.

17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Not exactly on topic of this thread but I was thinking about just that the other day, and I must say it's pretty sad indeed. He had a great career ahead of him and SW was just what he needed to get his name into the big time field. He had so much potential too

KissMeImARebel likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Don't know anything about Rian Johnson, never watched watched any of his movies so it will be a complete surprise. I hope he can respect Lucas creative decisions no matter of his opinion of the movies.

19. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    In the last few days I saw Looper and the Brothers Bloom (available on Netflix) for the first time. I'm impressed. Looper had an interesting concept and was an entertaining movie. The Brothers Bloom was a great movie--the story, writing, characters, acting, directing, etc. Based on only those two movies, Rian Johnson is definitely an interesting choice.

And he directed some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad (and that is saying something)

20. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Brick is his best film. Watch it.

BigAl6ft6 and Hoggsquattle like this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Rian Johnson IS a Star Wars nut. I'm not worried about his judgement getting clouded - Kennedy has judged him to be the guy and clearly Disney agrees.

The only fans who seem to suffer from the "fervour" are the ones you'll set here ;)

Can you explain?

22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Assuming TFA isn't a total dud (and I don't think it will be that), Johnson is a good fit for EP VIII and will do a good job I'm sure. I'm much more positive about VIII than I am for TFA because I think Johnson has a better, more natural eye, and will be bolder with creative choices.

Luukeskywalker likes this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I don't know... if the rumors pan out, TFA sounds rather bold.

24. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Yeah, the force awakens doesn't seem to be playing it safe. At the same time, I'm willing to bet it'll be quite a good movie. Do I think Johnson will do even better? Possibly, who knows but I think both directors/writers ( Abrams/Johnson) will compliment each others movies quite well. I think both their styles will gel well together movie after movie.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    While I'll probably enjoy 8 more than 7, due to being a Luke fan and not ever so much into the pirates & blasters side of Star Wars, 7 certainly sounds as though it will possibly be quite a brave interpretation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.