main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I have to say with a lot of the rumors that have been surfaced I initially though "geez, what a crap", but then I´ve been warming up and I still want to see the movie as badly as the first day. Even when the story does not seem to be what I was expecting.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. I honestly wasn't thinking too hard about what I wanted the film to be be but, once the rumors started sounding less and less like anything about Star Wars that I'm interested in, it sounds like a great film... if not my ideal "Star Wars film"... which is far more important, I think.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Gotta hand it to Abrams and Kasdan. They put together some interesting characters and ideas.... I'm totally diggin' the Chrome Trooper look, Kylo is oddly disturbing, the cast just feels really fresh and I just have a 'good' feeling about this.

So even if THIS movie doesn't do all the things we want it to do ( still hoping it does) they set us up with great stuff for the next movie, and Rian will be grateful for that.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

Agree with 100% and I fear I must learn patience to see my first 'real' Star Wars movie after over 30 years in 2017. ;)

6. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    That's the thing I find funny with the whole general consensus about Rian compared to JJ , if you're already dreading Abrams's more cerebral take on Star Wars as currently rumored , why do people get overly excited about Rian for? He's just as cerebral , if not more than JJ.(He is in fact) Don't get me wrong here though, he's a splendid director and I'm looking forward to what he'll do, but if people are expecting a more fan friendly SW film from him, I'm afraid some might end up more disappointed than with TFA.

Darth Haggai likes this.
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well I think we all expected Solo would bow out after TFA... Now if he dies doing something pernicious/mean, if he's depicted as returning to his selfish/outlaw ways, then I'd say that constitutes a 'bold' and progressive move in terms of characterisation. And as I mentioned in the other thread, if Luke is seemingly a tragic loner of a figure in TFA, I again expect that to be turned around soon afterwards. It's a bit like Kirk and Spock hating each other at the start of Star Trek 09 i.e. it's an interesting premise that doesn't follow through i.e. they make it up and become best buddies in only a way that Hollywood can write. I don't particular find that kind of writing bold, but rather contrived. I personally think Johnson would naturally take a bit more risk with characters and situations and look for less contrivances to create 'mystery'... but time will tell...

People think that Abrams take on SW is a more "cerebral one"? Who thinks that? Cerebral compared to Bay or someone similar? For sure.

8. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams had a hand in picking Rian Johnson to write/direct. I remember Abrams saying one of the scenes with the little boy in Looper was one of his favorite film moments in years.

9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I certianly think the casting is good. I just hope they are used well...

10. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I think it's the best cast they've had in a Star Wars. Story debates aside, Abrams gets good performances out of his actors so I gotta say.....

One of the most exciting aspects for me is to see the performances from all these talented individuals within a Star Wars universe. :D

TK327 and Darth Haggai like this.
  11. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Pretty much from the cries Ive read throughout the rumor thread when the Luke rumors first dropped. My main point is though, Rian is a more cerebral director than JJ.

He wont just make a fan fest SW film. I initially thought that's what Abrams would do but if the current rumors are legit, he sure seems to be breaking the mold abit.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  12. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    One of the first things Abrams said is ...we can't play it too safe, we gotta try and do new things while keeping it feeling like star wars.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not at all. Hopefully he's following the non-mold mold that George always did. You do things that are very different but very Star Wars at the same time.

What the actual word definition is hard to say. It's being new and different but familiar at the same time.

Yes. Just like Star Wars.

No one could have imagined what the prequels would really be like because their frame of reference would inevitably be based on what had gone before. We'd never seen what actual civilized and populated planets looked like. We'd never seen the fantastic worlds that must exist in the galaxy just the ones that they could realize with their limited means to create them.

Now the limitations are imagination itself.

14. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    I got no problem with this guy, but what makes Rian Johnson qualified to make a Star Wars movie? He's only made 3 films before, and I loved Looper, but you'd think they would get somebody who's more proven & with more experience to make Episode 8. I'm a little biased since I like JJ, but at least he had a ****load of experience before he got the job, writing/directing since the mid 90s or so in TV & film.

15. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

He has shown his talent as a director in the small amount of films directed by him? Talent is just as important as experience.

16. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    That's one more than Lucas before he made ANH

BigAl6ft6 and TK327 like this.
  17. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, but Lucas created it. I see your point, but I think it's fundamentally different with GL himself. Fair point though.

Yeah, I guess I'm just not that convinced with such a small filmography. I mean, a lot of directors have put out 1-2 great movies and then put out a dozen stinkers after, look at M. Night Shyamalan (not ****ting on him too much, I love his first few films). I'm actually more worried about episode 8 than I am about 7, tbh.

18. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    poop lol

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Add in Johnson's tv work and you're getting a pretty impressive body of work without a stinker among them...

BigAl6ft6 and DarthLightlyBruise like this.
  20. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    See, this is the funny thing. I'm also, for lack of a better phrase, on Team Luke (though I love all the characters). Luke's the heart and soul of the OT, for me, and he's my favorite. And that's actually one of the main reasons I'm so excited by what I am hearing of TFA (despite not being a big Abrams fan). To me, it sounds like Luke is this legendary figure/ symbol that inspires hope, who is almost too legendary to muck around in the new, small plot of this introductory film. Only at the end is he epically introduced on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, as Rey ascends to a higher plane, both physically and spiritually. This tells me that Luke has progressed well beyond the warrior of ROTJ. To me, the film seems to be elevating Luke to the level of a Buddha. And that makes me, as Luke fan, very happy.

Pro Scoundrel and Satipo like this.
  21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I think that had they gone with the rumoured take that Arndt had - luke "dying" in the opening, Leiua believing he was alive, sending the kids on the search for him, Luke coming in at the end, but sacrificing himself to save the day, that would have been Luke relegated to Force ghost level for the rest of the ST.

Even if the rumours about the Arndt approach are off and they went with Luke in the Old Ben role for 7 he most likely would have bitten it as well. Luke is no longer the protagonist. He's the mentor/ sage now. It should be Rey, Finn or whoever the main lead is that is saving the day, not Luke. He's saved the day twice now. He can and absolutely should play a key role in helping save the galaxy again, but I don't remember Old Ben or Yoda saving the day instead of Luke in the OT (nor do I remember anyone giving the heroes of the clone wars too much crap for hiding out in isolation with a long term plan for helping the next generation save the galaxy).

22. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Man, the rumored Arndt draft sounds terrible. The main characters being privileged children sent by their mother to find their uncle? I have difficulty believing that was the story.

23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Arndt's a good writer. I think it would have been a good draft (I've heard rumours it was FWIW) also think a lot of the basic DNa from his draft will have been reworked into the later drafts. I don't but for a second that it was a page one rewrite.

24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    What I never bought was the rumors of Luke dying in the first 5 minutes in the Lucas/Arndt draft.........yeah don't think so.[face_not_talking]o_O

25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    No he didn't die. We were meant to think he did. The whole plot revolves around finding him. So that seems to have been a fairly constant spine even if the details have changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.