main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Ha! Yes!

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm wondering if (pardon me if it's already been said here) Rian was given a choice: would you like to make Episode IX or would you like to do your own stories? Not an ultimatum but rather the polar opposite. Basically, "Rian you've done such a amazing job with TLJ you have your pick of the litter" so to speak.

I think the "stepping back from the franchise" is like a potential candidate saying they are absolutely not running for president. I think the idea for a new trilogy was already more than being tossed around.

No matter how you look at this, it's great news for TLJ. I mean GREAT. That sort of confidence just doesn't come forth this far before the director's current movie. He's done something with TLJ and Disney/LFL want much more from it by the same person who created it. Simple as that!

3. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Everything I've seen thus far has led me to believe they've been wanting to keep things pretty loose. Which makes sense if you want to be in the business of working with great talent and getting the best out of that collaboration. I doubt a film maker like Rian would have taken the gig if they'd have said, 'we'd like you to do Star Wars 8, provided you stick to this rigid road map we've got laid out for the characters.' I think KK is smart enough to realise that would not lead to the kind of quality she's going for in handling this franchise.

BloodStripe, dogprivilege and Satipo like this.
  4. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016

I don't think they gave Rian a road map to what was going to happen, but I do think they had some details of character backstories in mind.

5. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

“I got to have a conversation with [George] Lucas at the beginning of the process – just very general – he was very supportive. He wasn’t involved in the process of actually making the movie.” “I grew up with him as a hero of mine.”

"The basic story did not change much from the first version of it to the end but of course like with any story all of the details and the way that we get from [point] A to [point] B, they change constantly through the whole process even to the last day of editing we're sort of changing it, so...normal, like any movie. And no, there was nothing that I changed because I became worried that fans wouldn't like it. I think I always - my perspective was always that every fan is gonna have their own different list of what they want and don't want and I know for me as a fan I would have the same thing if I wasn't making this movie but the only thing that every fan wants is a good movie and the only way I know how to make that is to not second guess my own creative choices but to just trust that and so...I tried to create a little bubble for all of us and just say we're gonna make ourselves happy and then hopefully that will please some other people as well."

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly the right approach to take.

7. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    In regards to the new trilogy Rian is making, I feel like it's gotta be set in the Old Republic. It's shocking that since the new canon has started, that era has been untouched. There hasn't even been one story set in the Old Republic era.

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It might be set in the past but the blank slate to me suggests RJ won't be following the Old Republic. There might be something in his films that remind us of the Old Republic but that's probably about it.

11-4D and Dominick1216 like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Hear! Hear!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    In my mind there is a story that they want to tell over the ST and it may based around GL treatment or a version of it. However it would be a very basic overview and thats it. I am sure JJ/KK had their own ideas for TLJ but I have no doubt that would not of been passed on to RJ as he is the writer (and director). Why restrict him by telling him where it should go. Let him go free and come back with his own story as he just might have a better one to tell and it seems that is the case here. If the story went to far off track that can always bring him back in line then.

Satipo likes this.
  11. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Am I crazy if I tell you guys that I have thought if RJ's trilogy is a success story, he might be considered as KK's successor when she steps down?

I mean, who could better take care of Lucasfilm that someone who wrote and directed by himself 4 movies? Something only Lucas himlsef has done.

12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm not sure he'd be interested in running a company.

11-4D likes this.
  13. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007

Totally agree. Three simple factors should tell us that its going to be amazing.

1. No hints of any behind the scenes issues.
    2. The picture was finished months before release.
    3. RJ has been given the green light for a whole trilogy based in this film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben-Solo and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Haven't seen one ounce of uneasiness about TLJ from the masses. The only thing that has some folks concerned is the fact that we keep hearing that it's "weird" or "unorthodox". Apparently, Kennedy and the other powers that be feel it's a good thing and won't harm the brand at all. He would never have been so easily offered another movie so quickly otherwise....ESPECIALLY not THREE movies!

15. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    I don't think it's completely fair to RJ or the other SW filmmakers to say this film was finished ahead of schedule. It was certainly finished well ahead of its release date, but it benefited from a revision to the release schedule fairly early in production. Don't recall exactly, but wasn't this movie originally supposed to be out in May? Plus, it had the benefit of a rolling start, with RJ shadowing the production of TFA and getting to start pre-production relatively early, well before TFA was released.

One lesson that LFL should learn from this (other than that RJ is awesome), is that good SW movies take time, and benefit if they're not rushed.

Han Solo, I'm looking at you.

16. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    If the movie would've been in terrible state, like 4-6 months ago, there would've been reshoots. I'm convinced the movie is gonna be of very high standard but I also believe there will be debates concerning certain directions they've chosen for some of the characters.

Can't wait till 13th of december 15:00 (local time) in Sweden - 25 days left.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i'm glad everyone now has faith in the film. (sarcasm)

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This^, all day, everyday, and twice on Sundays x 1000.
    Ah, but Han Solo's script had A LOT of development time, and all of the pre-production work was done in good time. The only thing rushed is how quickly Ron Howard is shooting. But, that makes sense with how much was already prepared for him before his arrival, and the fact that they're shooting digitally, which is a lot faster.

19. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Rian Johnson: “There’s a history in Star Wars of the attraction between the light and the dark, whether it’s the story of Anakin basically turning from this sweet kid and seeing his seduction to the dark side, or even with Luke. Even though you never really believe he’s going to go over to the dark side, the whole revelation of ‘I am your father’ has to do with Vader and this darkness that [Luke] thought he could just dismiss as ‘That’s the bad guy. I don’t have any of him in me.’ Suddenly he realizes ‘No, I come from him. I have quite a bit of him inside me.’” (November 19, 2017)

Rian Johnson:
    “There’s a big part of the story yet to be written and not by me [in the next episode]. But I don’t think it’s very interesting if the whole story is just ‘Will Kylo get his comeuppance?’ He’s a more complicated character than that and I think he deserves a more complicated story than that. I don’t see the point of trying to get behind his mask and learn more about him if all we’re going to learn is ‘Yeah, he’s just an evil bad guy that needs to be killed.’” (November 19, 2017) (archive)

Rian Johnson: “This is very much about Rey trying to figure out how she fits into all this, much like any of us as we’re growing up, as we’re transitioning from childhood into adulthood. You’re going meet people who you think are going help who don’t. And help is also going come from unexpected places.” (November 19, 2017)

20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I actually think it might still be pushed back to next December.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If you want to hear Rian in a little cameo, he is "Roger Corman" on the latest You Must Remember This podcast. It's about the later life of Boris Karloff.

22. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Dudes & dudettes, if you haven't seen "Brick", you really need to watch "Brick".

$3.99 rental on Amazon (HD).

"Brick" + "Twelve O'Clock High" + Star Wars = I can't even.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  23. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I might have to eat my words later, but I think Rian is the closest we've got to a new Nolan. Both in terms of style and career trajectory. Except that TLJ apoears to be his Batman Begins/The Dark Knight rolled into one. :D

24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm fascinated to see the response. I heard during TFA that the script was great and act 3 in particular was amazing. I've continued to hear that the script and story were great, that it would be very different from the past films, that it would be very funny in parts, yet more philosophical in others. We know that KK's praise for RJ is genuine. I think it genuinely has a shot at greatness, but I think the boldness will turn some off in terms of certain character/ story directions (I have no idea which I'm just guessing). I don't think it can top TFA at the box office, but I think it will be a better film. I very much see this as a similar trajectory as ANH to ESB. Fingers crossed RJ really has delivered something special.

25. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    This is why everyone should have confidence in this film and the direction/vision Rian has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.