main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
  2. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
  3. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    and the toxicity wars of the fandom has begun

4. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Well apperentley he blocked the worst and theres a ton of people defending him

Doom_Buggy likes this.
  5. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I will reserve my full opinion until after I see the film, but I am starting to suspect there is more semblance than substance with Rian Johnson.

6. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I do not advocate violence toward anybody. However, you had to know there would be backlash to killing off a beloved character like Luke Skywalker; especially, after Han Solo was bumped off in the last movie. That decision was not going to be popular, no matter how well it was accomplished.

dan1210 likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    And that still doesn't justify physical threats or abusive statements like that. See, this is the downside of the Internet and social media: it gives everyone instant and unfettered access to everyone else with very few consequences to maintain the normal communicative behavior we'd exhibit in face-to-face interactions.

This tweet isn't just why Star Wars fandom suck, it's why people suck in general. Star Wars is, like, my favorite thing, and Luke was my childhood hero, and even if I didn't like what I was hearing about his treatment in the film (I do), or at the very least was unwilling to give it a chance (I am), I still wouldn't even think to attack Johnson on Twitter. That's toxic behavior, and if it happened face-to-face it would be condemned as abnormal without hesitation.

8. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003

I agree with you. To threaten Johnson is out of bounds. I guess I just expected that it would happen given our present society. I repudiate those who advocate physical harm to him, simply because they disagree with his direction for the film.

9. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    I'm not gonna harass the guy on twitter or anything but I hope Lucasfilm drops him after TLJ.

Blastaar likes this.
  10. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    LFL is giving him a whole new trilogy so I'd say they're very happy with his work.

11. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    If fan feedback is negative enough then things might change. Heck, I hope he bows out himself after he realizes the mess he has made.

dan1210 likes this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015

If this pawn leak is true and Rian did such a movie there is a high risk that after the opening weekend and the press cheering that a lot hardcore SW fans will come home and tell their friends (who are not hc SW fans and undecided yet) that the plot is rubbish. Further they will lose the HC fans that watch the movie 3-4 times in the theatre. If the pawn leak is legit I think the movie might go over 1bn worldwide but thats it. Not to mention the impact on IX.
    If the pawn leak is true I will watch Ep. 8 but I will not go to SW9
    Star Wars was always a Space Fairy Tale where you closed your eyes and dreamed afterwards of being a Jedi, a hero as well in a huge universe full of mysteries. What pawn describes is a Spiderman marvel movie that builds up on short time shock effects and unrealistic stuff (Leia in vacuum) that does not represent the old SW universe IMO.

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    No matter what we think of it, it's impossible to objectively call a movie that many call their favorite a mess. That's the paradox of all this.

14. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    You assume he's made a mess. Everything we've heard so far implies the exact opposite.

15. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Erm, you do realise that they offered him a whole trilogy AFTER they saw TLJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Erm, you do realise that they offered him a whole trilogy AFTER they saw TLJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Threatening people because you disagree with them is always sick and outrageous, but is anyone surprised? Our entire society is sick and twisted in general...

Even if I end up hating the way the plot of this movie turns out, Rian will always be a good guy to me. I've followed his Tweets and interviews a ton this past year. At the end of the day it's a freaking movie. My goodness.

18. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006

Before witnessing how everybody else reacts to it?
    You know I don't blame Rian if those spoilers are true it only makes me think how lucky we were Abrams did the first one if he truly fought to keep Poe involved he understood what that movie needed.

I don't understand why threaten Rian at all, he's not the one to blame IF those spoilers are true I'm not going to bother watching any future Star Wars movie nor buy them and please note I regretted not watching Rogue One in the theatre THIS I will not regret missing.

I just hope those spoilers are rubbish, won't stop me watching Star Wars Rebels though!

Curious I wonder what if they hadn't changed directors on the Han Solo movie, ever thought about that?

These threats are really pointless he really isn't the villain after all!

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No one should threaten Rian, that's absurd. No one should threaten any filmmaker over a movie.

That being said, if you want to trash (or praise) him for writing choices that he made, then that's fair (as long as it doesn't get nasty personal of course). When you're a creator, and you choose to do things a certain way, then you must be willing to accept both praise AND criticism for said choices. That's kind of how it works.

20. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Of course, threatening RJ is out of the question, criticizing the story is something else.
    I see the movie tomorrow, and just hope the leaks aren't true. If they are true then yeah, the ST will be "legends" material for me and therefore non-canon. ROTJ will then be the end for me.

21. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    If anyone isn't well versed in Rian's work a friend of mine did a great video looking into his creative output.
    Very interesting watch IMO

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  22. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Gee and i thought jj had it ruff for people wanting to fire him from 9

23. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I so wanted to not write this but I'm really happy that Rian's not doing IX :( And i hate myself for thinking like this as he's a brilliant director

24. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Again -

How the hell are all of you seeing this movie already?

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  25. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Even though I absolutely loathed the movie, I'll never stoop to the level of "Rian Johnson raped my childhood". I still have respect for him for directing the stellar Looper, and he seems like a stand-up guy. He's like the anti-Simon Pegg. Even though he might not be the biggest fan of the PT, he has shown nothing but respect for George Lucas, and I commend him for that.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.