main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Could you actually point me to any of the cast where they refer to tlj as a great film? Lets be honest they aren't t going to say anything negative about it, although saying that mark and daisy pretty much did on numerous occasions!...

UberJediPaul likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Trust me I know. Whenever a cast member says something good about the film what they actually mean is it sucks.

3. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I didn't say he wasn't a fan, just maybe not completely onboard with them. Some of his comments have been a bit condescending.

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Objectively, TLJ has two jobs:
    -get a good RT score (which it has)
    -make a ton of money (which it will soon)

Everything else is arbitrary.

5. Darth Ewok

Darth Ewok Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2016
    I’m not sold on the ton of money aspect. The film is coming off as divisive from the people who would’ve contributed multiple viewings. I know opening weekend will be huge but I wouldn’t be surprised if this film has a huge second week drop. It’s definitely it grossing anywhere near TFA

Darth Smurf and staticdash22 like this.
  6. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Christ, this thread has become as bile-filled as the JJ thread. I think it’s time for some people to find a new hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    **** rian jhonson. Get your hands of my star wars.

UberJediPaul and Darth Smurf like this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    shot

chaser

9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I'm glad he gets to do something utterly and forever unrelated to any of these characters. Having said that, it IS a beautifully shot and directed film. I just hated the story.

10. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014

You are right here and I picked up on that too. They never said it was an "amazing" or "great" film. They always used language like "shocking, different, unexpected." I don't think Daisy Ridley likes the story at all. But what can she do; she isn't gonna trash it publicly.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think you all are way over estimating how much LFL gives a **** about our opinions here. They don't. Like at all. We are a miniscule percentage of the audience and even here there isn't one definitive opinion about the film. We're all over the place. The fact is that the film has been widely praised and will make buckets of money. Rian will go on to make his trilogy and that will also make buckets of money.

12. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014

Totally agree, but I would've thought Rian the fan would have taken it much more seriously to ensure he got it right. I guess he did, in his mind. I don't think he just sold his soul to LFL. This was his creation, and it's radically different.

13. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    I hope the film will have a huge second weekend drop at least. That way LFL would at least know that something is off.

UberJediPaul and staticdash22 like this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It won't.

Contreras1991 likes this.
  15. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    I'm looking forward to RJ's trilogy. I haven't seen TLJ yet, and I had a pretty strong negative reaction when I read the spoilers. Mostly because I wasn't expecting (or asking for) a film that broke free from many of the saga's conventions and turned everything on its head. I wanted to see that sort of thing outside of the saga films.

Even if I dislike TLJ, I don't see it having that much relevance to whether I like his new trilogy. I don't have a 40 year emotional investment in that.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  16. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    You can see things before they happen. It's a Jedi trait.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You don't need the Force to recognize the film is going to be enormous. It's obvious.

18. mithric

mithric Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2017
    After the movie, I was thinking that if this was a KOTOR movie, it would have been absolutely fine. But it isn't.

Anyway is it just me but isn't the mind bond trope really, really lazy to use in a big blockbuster like this? I mean, I love fan-fiction, and the trope can work well if done right, but to use it as the lynchpin of a blockbuster movie is just pure lazy. Without the mind bond, the Luke/Rey/Ren arc would be impossible the way it happens in the movie. To me, this is the most worrying thing.

As an aside, what on earth is the story group doing? Surely there is good EU precedent for how mind bonds work. Why didn't we even get a single whit of explanation of how the bond between Ben and Rey happened?

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  19. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Snoke.

Everything and anything bad and evil = "Snoke".

20. jofos

jofos Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015

I don't think it will flop but I don't think it beats Rogue One. CNN and Gamestop both gave it less than good reviews, the gloves are coming off now.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It will without a doubt make more than Rogue One. It won't beat TFA but since there's only two films that have ever made more than TFA that's nothing to be ashamed of. And the gloves aren't coming off. It's still sitting pretty at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's critically acclaimed.

22. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So... yeah.. more from Rian Johnson please.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  23. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Yuuup. I can't wait to see him fully unleashed when he gets to work with an entirely blank canvas.

24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Yeah, somehow with those kind of reviews and an 85 metacritic score, some folks are cherry picking the reviews to say the film is being poorly received.

25. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Very unlikely. This is the honeymoon phase. If people generally end up viewing the movie unfavorably, you won't know until March or april, i'd guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.