main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Nothing subtle about it.

2. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    If I missed it then it was subtle to me or at the time it was an unimportant detail to me. Please keep in mind I'm speaking from my own point of view and no one else's.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    But you have to understand that saying Rian Johnson changed the way Force ghosts interacted with the physical world isn't an opinion. He either did or didn't. In this case he didn't and that's all we're trying to say. Whether or not you like the concept is completely up to you but whose idea it was isn't.

4. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    In my opinion the glorified lightning and explosion was indeed a change in the way Force Ghost interact with the living. Qui-Gon approached it in one way and Obi-Wan simply appeared to Luke the very first time they interacted when Obi-Wan was a Force Ghost. To me it simply looked like something that was done for shock and awe much like the Haldo Kamikaze scene. As a paying customer I don't have a right about whose idea it was but I do have the right to give my opinion on it as long as it's not an attack against an actor or the director himself. I also have the right to dislike the scene. I'm a girl who is more into a story than some of the senseless things done in that film and for me that lightning explosion was one of them. In awe I was not. Amused I was.

5. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Now you're backpedaling. Your original statement wasn't giving an opinion about it being different than the way other force ghosts interacted. You flat out accused RJ of making it up and that it never happened when it clearly has:

"It doesn't matter to him that force ghost cant interact with the real world because Yoda was "his"."

No "if's" about it. You missed it. And what is unimportant to you is irrelevant. It's long been established as SW canon by Lucas himself so any accusations that RJ made it up is unequivocally false.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It wasn’t senseless though? Neither was the Holdo Maneuver? Both served the plot. Yoda lit the tree to get Luke to move past “a few old books”. The Holdo Maneuver enables the last resistance ships to flee to Crait.

7. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Haldo could have told everyone what was going on instead of keeping it a secret and everything could have been avoided but for the sake of creating "drama" they had Po acting like a trigger happy ditz. Yoda was normally a calm and quiet soul and yes I know that Yoda sometimes acts that way but when he was trying to reach a troubled former pupil was that really the time to blow something up and then laugh about it? That's just my thoughts on the matter. Im not backpedaling there is no reason for me to backpedal. My opinion is my opinion. How about this? Rian Johnson took something small and made it large to fit "his" vision. Something so small that I may have missed in a Clone Wars cartoon and he blew it up for shock and awe value. Hey if you like that good for you whatever floats your boat! Ill pass on that for my money. I don't back pedal I didn't reply sooner because I was out watching Antman and The Wasp.I highly recommend this film btw! :D

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    MasterPrince713 and Hopeless like this.
  8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    You backpedaled.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  9. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Mod Edit: No personal attacks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2018
  10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes I think it was senseless. Yoda’s non-book burning, while technically not changing lore to the nerds like us, looked and felt different for a lot of people as movie canon. If force ghosts can do that, the obvious problem is why aren’t they doing more? Is that kind of a nagging story-derailing irritant worth Yoda coming off as a book burner? (And yeah it came off that way to me, blink and you miss the books on the Falcon. The point should definitely have been emphasized more because man was it muddied).

Just like Holdo’s maneuver. Yes it had a plot purpose, but the thing remembered by many is that it throws a monkey wrench in the middle of every other Star Wars space battle. Making the lore nonsensical irritated some people, and it seems like a cheap way for a writer to writer his way out of corners he created.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Rian didn't mess up. The Last Jedi is really good and his new trilogy will be bombad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2018
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Play nice in here. All of you.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  13. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Apologies

14. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I searched, but couldn't find this posted already. If this is not appropriate for observation, study, or discussion, please remove. Could be mere coincidence, or had been a subconcious influence upon Rian.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  15. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Didn’t Yoda and Kenobi materialize in the 1st draft of ROTJ? So it’s not without precedent.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh, I love this so much!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I heard the Rian was a great fan of the Prequels ,

Now if you look at the prequels - especially EP1 & 2 they took a lot of "Backlash" even in the days where the internet was still growing ,

If you look at Episode's 4,5 most of 6 & 7 people never said we need to fix these , remake or banish from canon ,

Yet EP1 , 2 & 8 not only had their share of Backlash but people wanted them fixed , re-made & banished from canon ,

As for EP3 it's almost stuck in the middle - some backlash , some fixing but not necessarily re-made or banished from canon ,

So in summary don't get a Prequel lover to make a Star Wars movie [face_thinking][face_peace]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    George Lucas made some of the same mistakes that I think Johnson made with TLJ as far as trying to go too haûte ârte to the point where some aspects didn’t make sense to the regular moviegoer who isn’t interested in literary or film interpretation. Hence why some of the backlash to criticism of both TLJ and the PT includes “you just don’t understand Lucas/Johnson’s art.”

That said though, there is quite a bit about the PT that I enjoy, and I enjoyed several aspects of TLJ. The PT movies and TLJ are visually stunning with creative worlds—I thought the salt world of Crait was ingenious. And while Lucas tried to put old-school dialogue in an area that did not make sense, Johnson’s dialogue was actually pretty good, some of the best in all the movies.

So tl;dr I agree with you to a point and disagree with you in other areas.

Jedi Knight Fett and chris hayes like this.
  19. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    This is what I'm calling Rian Johnson now.

ImpreciseStormtrooper likes this.
  20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    lol....you know what I meant "that Rian" :p

21. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Your position is assuming that just because we didn't see this type of power it did not exist until TLJ. We simply did not know it existed from the previous movies. There is no change. Within the story, these spirits have transcended into a mystical realm. Outside of extrinsic sources like the Clone Wars, we have little understanding from the films of what they are and how they came to be. In ANH, it was merely a voice. Then ESB expanded what we knew with visual manifestations that were omnipresent and interactive. We knew from ANH and ROTJ that the bodies of Jedi vanished at the point of physical death. Then along comes TPM and QGJ did not vanish. Yet, we could hear his voice during the Tusken massacre and later learned in ROTS that he could commune with Yoda. My point is that several of the movies expanded on what we knew. TLJ is no different. It again showed something new (at least to the movies).

22. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Wait? What? A mystical realm? Are we talking about The Lord of the Rings or Star Wars? There were six movies prior to TFA. In ANH it was only the voice because as it was explained in The Phantom Menace and all of the other stories which are cannon in the books that pertained to the film and I am not talking about EU I am talking about the fact that Qui Gon did not finish his training and his body did not fade. Qui Gons body was burned that is why his voice was only heard. Maybe TLJ showed YOU something different and what YOU wanted to see then that's great but that doesn't mean he showed everyone something they wanted to see. What Rian Johnson did was create his own thing and for those who like it that's great but the thing is what Rian Johnson does not seem to understand is that we are customers. I am a customer and a customer who has spent money on Star Wars but I have spent no money on TLJ other than the initial ticket that I bought when it first came out. Rian Johnson doesn't get that he wasn't making the movie for himself he was making it for the fans or he should have been. He wrote a movie for himself which made a lot of money but the brand itself is now moving zero merchandise. Don't believe me? Check the sales of Star Wars merchandise and do the math. Just because TLJ showed something new does not make it good.

2Cleva likes this.
  23. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Merch sales are down across the board. Is that all TLJ’s fault as well?

24. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Yes it is TLJ fault. They made everything irrelevant. According to Kylo Ren Snoke is old and his origin does not matter so why should I care or spend money on any origin story about Snoke. Some people may but I'm not. That's just one example and I'm not talking about other merchandise only Star Wars merchandise. You can head down to the local Wal Mart and get a Rose Tico action figure for 2 dollars.
    They should be making movies for the fans and not themselves because the fans are the ones spending the money. I have a replica of the Anakin Skywalker saber but I will not get a Rey replica anything. LFL won't be making anything off of me in that regard.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  25. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yes. The Last Jedi RUINED my love for 2018 film Rampage starring Dwayne "not my Luke" Johnson! I will NEVER collect its merchandise again! Thanks RUIN JOHNSON!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.