main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I really don't rate him as a director. His films always seem to lack any sense of scale, something that Star Wars needs (particularly the final film of the ST).

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

Not unreasonable. We did that in the past.

But that's all it was...talk. Nothing solid was ever stated.

3. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I honestly think they should wait until Episode VII was atleast done with Production before talking about VIII and IX directors and writers.

4. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Spielberg for IX, he couldn't direct Jedi even when him and Lucas wanted to. Let him put the final touch in the saga this time.

5. Eric Hines

Eric Hines Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2012

Johnston started his career by working on SW and ESB. He created the Boba Fett character, among other things. So what he has going for him is he 'gets' Star Wars.

Immortiss and T-R- like this.
  6. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    There's two things to take away from this for people who don't know about Rian.

1. Looper is one of the most interesting modern sci fi movies in god knows how long.
    2. He directed some of the best Breaking Bad episodes:
    Ozymendis ( spelling?)
    Fifty-One
    Fly
    3. All three episodes were episodes with fantastic character interactions and development and a great eye for camera positioning.

VMeran, Artoo-Dion , markdeez and 5 others like this.
  7. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Duncan Jones would be fantastic. I am really digging this Rian Johnson news. All three of his movies were very good and his Breaking Bad episodes were the best. Seriously my two favorite episodes are Fly and Ozymandias.

VMeran likes this.
  8. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

Id say this is probably more Abrams not wanting his career defined by Star Wars. He gets to live his dream and direct one and then move on to other things.

9. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012
    JAMES CAMERON FOR EPISODE IX PLEASE:cool::p

Granek and Eric Hines like this.
  10. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I loved Looper, loved his Breaking Bad episodes and grew up having The Right Stuff as one of my favorite movies that made me really feel like I was really part of the space program without actually being in the space program. That's great he posted that!

I'm so stoked!

11. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    This is huge news. A big upgrade for episode 8. Not surprising either, his stuff is more character driven.

I'm interested in seeing what Kasdan's role will be. Abrams will most assuredly continue on as executive producer.

Ryus likes this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Oh, I know that he's got SW running through his veins, and I will always love him for what he's contributed to the SW galaxy, but as a film director I just don't think he's got the chops. Give him a spin-off, I say.

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I was kind shocked that this broke on a Friday... Thinking wth lucasfilms, this is Tuesday level goodnews, the guy is a great director for how new he is to big budget films and his Breaking Bad stuff is a perfect example why he'd be great for the dark second act stuff VIII will be to this trilogy.. Then realized the press broke the story before an official announcement, thanks press lol.

Jobertus likes this.
  14. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Jurassic Park III is to Jurassic Park what AOTC is to Star Wars. Just wrong.

15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Unfortunately, I don't think Spielberg is at all interested. I think JJ was the way to get as close as possible to a Spielberg directed Star Wars film. JJ will do his best to show us what that might have looked like.

Artoo-Dion and Dewback like this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Not to mention Captain America was pretty good and launched that character.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As if by magic, it will change. ;)

Pro Scoundrel and T-R- like this.
  18. Thomas Solo

Thomas Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    void thisPost() {
    if (he'sTheDude AND he can top LOOPER) {
    thisIsPrettyAwesome
    } else {
    System.println("Let JJ do them all");
    }
    }

In all seriousness, Looper was an amazing film. One of a handful of films I've actually watched more than once (even Star Wars films yo) and it was a fine piece of work.

My worry I suppose, is will the further episodes in the GFFA be 'fine pieces of work?'

I can make a killer lasagne, but if all I have for ingredients are McDonald's cheeseburgers, then we have an issue.

VMeran likes this.
  19. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    This is cool. I had always kind of wondered since they never formally attached JJ's name to 8+9 if we were going to see a new director for each film like we did with the OT. I think having different directing visions for each chapter served the OT well being that all 3 had their own theme and feeling.

Immortiss, Jobertus and T-R- like this.
  20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

That thing that is interesting. He must have read the episode 7 script and felt it was strong enough for him to build on. Thats good news.

I'm interested in seeing if he is going to be forced to collaborate the script with some other people.

Immortiss, Jobertus and Ryus like this.
  21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I hope so. Hopefully Lucas and Kasdan as JJ did, and maybe JJ as well.

22. Eric Hines

Eric Hines Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2012

Disney, in the press conference announcing they had acquired Lucasfilm. said they were going to have a different director for each ST installment.

23. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012
    Didn't Steven ghost-direct some of the Anakin and Obi fight? Steven already got his Star Wars Fix. My Theory is JJ plate is just way to full to take on this whole Trilogy. It just sucks cause if I really love "Episode VII" I'm going to want JJ to come back. I do like that they are giving "The Little Guy" a chance and not going with the same ol' Big names. But I would love a James Cameron Star Wars film. He stated numerous times Star Wars was the reason he quick truck driving and started working on film. But I know it's a pipedream. He's too busy doing "Avatar" 2,3,4,5,6,7 lol.

24. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Watch BRICK first, then Looper. Both are amazing films. Looper is actually one of the best scifi films of the last few decades and contains a performance by a child that was so good it made all the award ceremonies look like idiots for not nominating him. BRICK was his first film and shows just how creative and strange his sensibilities are(It's essentially a 1940's film noir/Dashiell Hammett type story, including the dialogue, but set in a modern day high school)... it also shows what he can do with almost no money(the film's budget was only $500,000).

FRAGWAGON, markdeez and Dewback like this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

That explains why the notion has been in the back of my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.