main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Another positive I take from this is that it would appear they pretty much have the barebones of the ST mapped out from beginning to end. As we all know Lucas clearly didn’t do this for the OT or even the PT, and in some parts it shows.

Lord Chazza, KevinM1 and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  2. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Well, and it hasn't been officially confirmed yet. They probably weren't planning on announcing this today. I bet they are scrambling to complete the official press release now. I really appreciate the media forcing LFL to give us news like this and the casting announcements! ;)

And JJ has long done this - got something good started, then moved on to something else. Lost, Star Trek, etc. So maybe he just likes variety in his work and didn't want to be doing only Star Wars for almost a decade.

VMeran likes this.
  3. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Oh man... This is absolutely gonzo amazing news in my opinion. This guy has some fantastic talent. I'm more excited for the ST after this news, for sure...

A couple of things:
    - I really thought Arndt would reappear with Episode VIII once he was taken off of VII. Now I'm really curious to get the full true story of what went on behind the scenes with him. He still hasn't announced another project since leaving VII, has he?
    - Interesting that Johnson will also be handling writing duties for 9, but not directing. Probably means they have a director in mind (if not already contracted) who does not typically write his or her own stuff...

syferdiasisalie and Immortiss like this.
  4. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
  5. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

Not heard of Brick, but Looper is a movie I've been intending to watch for absolutely ages and haven't got round to it. It does look a really great film. Maybe I should get on and watch it!

6. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't stress enough how much of a punk Devin Faraci is. His article on this is garbage and his conduct on twitter today has been particularly disgusting.

7. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I loved his breaking bad Episiodes and Looper was very creative. I think it's a good choice. Now should he finish out the sequels? Thats left to be seen. Maybe the next two films are more like ESB and ROTJ which really run back to back. ANH really stood alone as a story. I think this is the reasoning behind having the same director for both final films. If they are the final. Cause lets face it. If their is money to be made, there never is an end in sight.

8. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    I think he comes off as a jerk as well,but you got to admit he's been right so far.

9. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
  10. Eric Hines

Eric Hines Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2012

My goodness, if James Cameron directed episode IX.

"Cameron quit his job as a truck driver to enter the film industry after seeing Star Wars in 1977" - Wikipedia

Also, Cameron and Lucas are good friends.

"There are three more tales to tell, and Mr. Cameron, the force is strong with you." - George Lucas to James Cameron on stage at a science fiction event in 2012.

11. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Absolutely love this news. Brick is one of my all-time favorite movies, and Looper is pretty damn good as well (although I must admit, I didn't care much for Brothers Bloom). He's definitely a very exciting and creative up-and-coming director. And even though I was hoping for one director to take control of the entire ST, this is still an excellent, excellent choice by Disney.

With JJ, Gareth Edwards, Trank, and now Rian Johnson all on board, there's an incredible amount of young talent in charge of the Star Wars franchise. It's a great time to be a Star Wars fan! Now if only they could get either Cuaron, del Toro, Matt Vaughn or (fingers crossed) Spielberg for Ep9, it'd be a dream come true.

VMeran likes this.
  12. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I edited my last post and included the trailers for both.

Claire1976 likes this.
  13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Won't Cameron be busy with A2-4 in 16, 17, and 18? Doubt he could get IX by 2019.

14. Eric Hines

Eric Hines Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2012

I agree, just wishful thinking :D

Momotaros and T-R- like this.
  15. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

Thanks a lot, that's really great :D

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  16. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    And they do seem to going with younger, more up and coming directors. Cameron is already very successful and established.

VMeran, DARTH_MUPPET and T-R- like this.
  17. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I've never heard of this guy. Darn, I was kinda holding out hope that Joss Whedon would get a shot at one of these movies…..*dodges thrown debris*

18. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Besides, isn't Cameron going to be busy making AVATAR sequels for like... the next 50 years or so?

19. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Wonder if he brings anyone from Breaking Bad with him. Don't mean actor or actresses wise,but production wise or writing staff wise.

20. Eric Hines

Eric Hines Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2012

True but I could see them getting a huge name for the 'grand finale' - Like Lucas, Spielberg, or Cameron. But out of those three I think Cameron is the least likely because of Avatar.

VMeran likes this.
  21. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    Interesting news. I wonder if he's gonna be on set for VII

T-R- likes this.
  22. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Seeing a lot of shout-outs for Brick and Looper, and those make sense (and I highly agree, if you haven't seen those two, you should definitely check them out)

But for me, if you're a Star Wars fan, you should check out Brothers Bloom for an idea of the tones this guy can juggle in a single film without making it feel schizophrenic or uneven. That's a con movie that is also a romantic comedy that's also a coming-of-age story that's also a crime-drama, and at no point does it ever grind gears when switching between those tracks.

It's funny and poignant and suspenseful and charming all at the same time for almost the entirety of its run. And the acting - the performances he gets out of Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo are one thing, but Rachel Weisz is the definition of adorable. I don't mean it as in "cute," I mean it in that by the time the film ends you adore that character in the same way Brody's character does. It's like nothing she's played before and nothing she's played since, and Johnson's writing and direction has something to do with that, most definitely.

And then you look at his resume as a whole: Brick isn't similar to Looper, which isn't much like Ozymandias, which isn't very much like Fly, and none of them are very much like Brothers Bloom, but the one thing they do share is a level of quality that is always VERY high.

He gets character, he writes tight screenplays.

This is amazing news. I thought I was excited for the sequel trilogy before...

23. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I hope this is true! Rian is a great writer and a great director. Brick and Looper are pretty amazing films. The Breaking Bad episodes he did were some of the best of the series.

The only disappointment I would have is also one I have with JJ Abrams, that he refuses to shoot in 3D. Rian wrote a pretty well-thought out article on the subject though.

24. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    Just want to say this is one of the new additions that I've seen (Looper). Which makes me very excited. But honestly after seeing this my thought was could there be a better time to be a Star Wars fan? So much news coming out about sequels and spinoffs. This is really the golden age of Star Wars considering how much is in progress. And the best part is I get to share all of this with my kids. Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I haven't seen Brick or Breaking Bad (yeah, I know... there are only so many hours in a day), but Looper was really solid.

This is an exciting time to be a Star Wars fan. Tons of young blood and fresh perspectives coming on board. It might not all work out, but we're going to see a lot of different takes on what Star Wars is, and that has the potential to be amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.